• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
YES! I got the june build, but I am wondering a few things. Where can I get Xinput, and can I map controls on the keyboard as my xbox controller is broken right now? I would like WASD fir movement and JKLUIO for actions.
Did he send it to you recently?

JPIII

Smash Cadet
I found something out about the Maypul vs ForsBurn Match Up. One thing was that When you stick forsburn with the acorn if he splits into 2, only the main one has the acorn on it. Another thing was Up B to Neutral B works well on forsburn since he doesnt have very many punishing moves (imo) Btw Up b to neutral B works on everyone, it just seems the most useful on Kragg or Forsburn. (What up b to neutral b does is it brings you to your opponent and it sticks the acorn back onto the opponent for another follow-up) An example is Up B, Neutral B, Jab D-tilt

EDIT: You have to be on the ground for this to work

EDIT 2: For some reason out of acorn'ed up b neutral b has no lag even though all other moves do

Last edited:

JPIII

Smash Cadet
I don't own the latest build, but here's an image tutorial for using x360ce in RoA
Extract the RoA file using Winrar or anything that can extract executable files

Then place your x360ce file in the same directory as RivalsofAether.exe

Go ahead and customize your controls to make a preset

Then run the file RivalsofAether.exe and voila! Now you can play without Xinput controllers! I've been enjoying playing RoA with my Logitech Dual Action Controller for over a month with no issues! If you're still having trouble, feel free to reply to this comment and I'll try to help anyone I can!
Thank you soo much!! I can finally play ROA with my GC controller!! :D:D

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
YES! I got the june build, but I am wondering a few things. Where can I get Xinput, and can I map controls on the keyboard as my xbox controller is broken right now? I would like WASD fir movement and JKLUIO for actions. And for some reason, even when I set my controls to my name, it uses default controls.
you cannot remap keybindings at this time, its more controller orientated for the alpha builds

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Another thing I found about Maypul is that Jab is a great interupter, if you are getting combo'ed and you end up on the ground spamming a for jab is a great option, it comes out so fast and combos in to so many other moves like : Neutral Special, More Jabs, D tilt, side b, dash attack etc...

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Got the June build! Still really disappointed that I can't use GCN controllers with this build, but I'll try to make due using x360ce and a PS3 controller. Hope to give some feedback soon! :V

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I don't own the latest build, but here's an image tutorial for using x360ce in RoA
Extract the RoA file using Winrar or anything that can extract executable files

Then place your x360ce file in the same directory as RivalsofAether.exe

Go ahead and customize your controls to make a preset

Then run the file RivalsofAether.exe and voila! Now you can play without Xinput controllers! I've been enjoying playing RoA with my Logitech Dual Action Controller for over a month with no issues! If you're still having trouble, feel free to reply to this comment and I'll try to help anyone I can!
Definitely appreciate the help, but it's still not working. This is what my things are looking like right now.

I have all the controls set and stuff, and the application definitely picks up on what I do with my controller, it just doesn't register in RoA.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Definitely appreciate the help, but it's still not working. This is what my things are looking like right now.

I have all the controls set and stuff, and the application definitely picks up on what I do with my controller, it just doesn't register in RoA.
It looks like you didn't extract the RoA_June_Playtest_Build :) if you don't have winrar, go get it! Once you've got it, right click and click extract here and then things should be working fine!

And it looks like all the builds are probably out now. Too bad for me :( Got the March build later than everyone else, so I guess I should have seen it coming. I'll stick around to help anyone and whatnot though.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
It looks like you didn't extract the RoA_June_Playtest_Build :) if you don't have winrar, go get it! Once you've got it, right click and click extract here and then things should be working fine!

And it looks like all the builds are probably out now. Too bad for me :( Got the March build later than everyone else, so I guess I should have seen it coming. I'll stick around to help anyone and whatnot though.
The second picture shows the RoA June build in the same folder as x360ce. What am I doing wrong QQ

Nevermind, I got it thanks a lot!

Last edited:

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
If I buy a USB Xbox or PS3 controler, does that work with XInput? And is there a link to install Xinput?

EDIT: I got x360ce, just need a new controller!

Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Just got done playing 1v1v1s with my friends. Dear god. I chose not to play (much) Maypul so I could learn about playing against her, and one of my friends pretty much played her exclusively.

Playing against her is tricky. She's soooo fast, and some of her attacks are hard to see on certain stages with certain palettes... most notably, her Up-Strong and Forward-Strong. Had many instances of "wat, I just died instantly" before I figured out the range of the attacks and knew I died to those ones. They just come out so fast and are pretty hard to see. Had pretty lolzy moments of two Maypuls Up-Specialing each other.

1v1v1s don't provide super conclusive data though, so I'll be doing some 1v1s tomorrow night. Still suspect Kragg to counter her well. Her recovery is like Orcane's but riskier and harder to maintain, so that'll take some mastering.

those up-airs though

If I buy a USB Xbox or PS3 controler, does that work with XInput? And is there a link to install Xinput?
XInput isn't a program you download, if you buy a USB Xbox controller it'll work just fine with the game.

Last edited:

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Another thing I found about Maypul is that Jab is a great interupter, if you are getting combo'ed and you end up on the ground spamming a for jab is a great option, it comes out so fast and combos in to so many other moves like : Neutral Special, More Jabs, D tilt, side b, dash attack etc...

EDIT: If you hit someone with an up air with maypul and they are stuck with the acorn You can up b to them and up air again for the kill

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
BasedDan, you keep impressing me more and more with each build. Huge style points for the UI. Everything about it just sweetens the game up even more. Love!

My take on controllers:
Personally, I don't have a preference on the controller being GC or Xbox One. Both feel great to me and I have been mostly using the Xbox One anyways. I just know a lot of smashers, at least in the club, who will be salty about no GC. However, the hardcore Rivals in the club prefer using their 360 controllers anyways.

First Impression, bout 5 mins worth:
Maypul is pulling me away from Orcane! Haha. I can't wait to explore her in depth like I did with Orcane. I love the fact that she is so low to the ground. Her movements are so sleek and quick, I feel like it fits the animal/character sooo well. Bulbasaur has been my favorite since watching Pokemon as a kid and now Aether has a character with Vine attacks?! Yes!
I agree with those saying her projectile should be slowed down a bit, but I don't want to say anything she has is OP yet until I can play her against another player. My hope is that she is a very light character, after Wrastor. If that's the case and she can die to a few big hits then I think she is fine for now.

Gotta explore her some more but at the moment, she just feels like a much better Orcane, ...with more tools, speed, spikish aerial, and strength. But regardless, the creative design with this character is amazing as a whole. Super impressed. I can't even imagine how unique the last of the characters will be.

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
Ok, just ordered a controller.
Just got done playing 1v1v1s with my friends. Dear god. I chose not to play (much) Maypul so I could learn about playing against her, and one of my friends pretty much played her exclusively.

Playing against her is tricky. She's soooo fast, and some of her attacks are hard to see on certain stages with certain palettes... most notably, her Up-Strong and Forward-Strong. Had many instances of "wat, I just died instantly" before I figured out the range of the attacks and knew I died to those ones. They just come out so fast and are pretty hard to see. Had pretty lolzy moments of two Maypuls Up-Specialing each other.

1v1v1s don't provide super conclusive data though, so I'll be doing some 1v1s tomorrow night. Still suspect Kragg to counter her well. Her recovery is like Orcane's but riskier and harder to maintain, so that'll take some mastering.

those up-airs though

XInput isn't a program you download, if you buy a USB Xbox controller it'll work just fine with the game.
Yeah... I feel stupid now.

I extracted it and got two versions of the game, RivalsofAether_June_Playtest and RoA_June_Playtest_Build. Witch one should I use?

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
So I found a silly glitch. I'm having trouble replicating it but it definitely happened. As Maypul, if you Up-Special after an Enemy and you arrive right as he dies, you get teleported to the middle of the stage. Of course not gamebreaking or anything, just silly. I should add this happened on a side K.O not sure how it would act on a star or fall.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
Seed Wobbling! Using side-b, neutral b, and a single jab all mixed together. Not a true combo but fun to do, takes some quick reaction to DI though :p

Gotta fix these Gifs :p

Last edited:

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
Ok, I just discoverd the lag mentioned previously on Fburns smoke. its ridiculous. Maypul. nerf up air. and i found out that you can go down with side special as a coming down option, in case you didn't know.

And Mayple may have an ifinite jab on fire capital. if you jab them into the wall repetedly. I think that even f you tech, its still infinite. not sure though.

Last edited:

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
And if you hit Zburn of stage with a seed as Maypul, the Up b to him and FAir/Nair/Dair/Bair, he if pritty much always dead. yay!

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
If you're still having trouble, feel free to reply to this comment and I'll try to help anyone I can!
Raises hand. I'm trying to get it running on my Mayflash adaptor, but something's screwy in that I cannot input strong attacks with the C-stick nor can I dash. Luckily, input lag seems low(-ish).

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Didnt get the build but i love the way maypel looks and how he/she plays and im assuming he/she is a grab type character

Shygoombaz

Smash Rookie
This game looks really fun and i wish you guys good luck on it, but im curious as to when the release date is set. I've been looking, and from what i can see, there is no set release date, which is a bummer because i really want to play this game asap.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
This game looks really fun and i wish you guys good luck on it, but im curious as to when the release date is set. I've been looking, and from what i can see, there is no set release date, which is a bummer because i really want to play this game asap.
I mean u could always try applying for playtesting if you're that curious and want to dig into the game...

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Raises hand. I'm trying to get it running on my Mayflash adaptor, but something's screwy in that I cannot input strong attacks with the C-stick nor can I dash. Luckily, input lag seems low(-ish).
I was having that problem too. I think you just need to recalibrate your controller. Go to the controller under 'Devices and Printers' and left click on it. I think it should be under properties, or maybe advanced settings.

Dash dancing still feels a little weird, but I think that may just be new to this build? more turn around animation?

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
I was having that problem too. I think you just need to recalibrate your controller. Go to the controller under 'Devices and Printers' and left click on it. I think it should be under properties, or maybe advanced settings.

Dash dancing still feels a little weird, but I think that may just be new to this build? more turn around animation?
Nah, I tried that. Works perfectly fine in the Devices and Printers mini-menu, but wonky af in-game.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I tried that. Works perfectly fine in the Devices and Printers mini-menu, but wonky af in-game.
Did you actually calibrate it. Because mine looked like it was working ok, but really the sticks just werent going to the edge of there zones, and re calibrating it fixed it.

You could also try seeing if mayfly has any newer drivers for it. At very least it wont hurt to update them even if it doesnt fix the issues.

Last edited:

Mum

Smash Cadet
Has anyone tried wrapping their DInput drivers in XInput using SCP Tools? I used it for DInput in Dolphin Emulator and was able to get it to work. It's not a cure-all solution but it was damn better than MotionInJoy for me.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Did you actually calibrate it. Because mine looked like it was working ok, but really the sticks just werent going to the edge of there zones, and re calibrating it fixed it.

You could also try seeing if mayfly has any newer drivers for it. At very least it wont hurt to update them even if it doesnt fix the issues.
It's calibrated, and works fine on Dolphin. If I had to assume the issue, it may be something to do with stick sensitivity in x360ce. Are they the default settings for you, or am I wrong to assume you're using x360ce?

EDIT: Figured it out kinda, but I'd still like to know the most optimum settings for comparison.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26

Next week, the June 2015 Playtester build will go out to 20 old playtesters and 20 new playtesters. We have gotten hundreds of applicants over the last couple of months so clearly not everyone will be picked just now. But don't fret, later this summer everyone will have their chance to either try a demo or Early Access on PC.

Patch Notes since March 2015:

Zetterburn:
  • Up Strong Fire:
    • Reduced from 10 base 1.2 scaling to 7 base 1.2 scaling.
  • Down Strong Fire
    • Reduced from 10 base 1.2 scaling to 8 base 1.2 scaling
  • Forward Strong Fire
    • Reduced from 9 base 1.1 scaling to 8 base 1.2 scaling.
  • Up Strong Standard
    • Reduced from 7 base .9 scaling to 6 base .8 scaling.
  • Down Strong Standard
    • Reduced from 7 base .8 scaling to 6 base .8 scaling.
  • Forward Strong Standard:
    • Remains at 8 base .6 scaling.
  • Neutral Special:
    • Charge time increased from 28 frames to 35 frames.
    • Charge released at the end of charging rather than when button is released.
  • Forward Special:
    • No longer stops Zetterburn at the edge of a platform.
  • Down Special:
    • Startup Reduced from 26 – 24 Frames.
    • Recovery Reduced from 20 – 18 Frames.
    • You can air dodge out of the downward motion after 15 frames of movement.
    • You can wall jump out of the downward motion when up against a wall.
  • Up Special:
    • Bounce Time (Hitting the ground with Up B) Reduced from 16 – 10 Frames.
    • Prat Fall Land time reduced from 7 – 3 Frames.
Kragg:
  • Down Air:
    • Hitbox size increased slightly in both X and Y direction.
  • Forward Special:
    • You can now jump out of Forward Special if you land a hit with it.
    • Startup Increased from 20 – 23 Frames.
    • Max Roll time reduced from 100 Frames to 90 Frames.
    • Recovery Increased from 24 – 32 Frames.
  • Neutral Special:
    • Kragg can pull rocks from his Pillar again.

Wrastor:
  • Down Strong:
    • Down Strong can be cancelled during startup or after traveling a set distance downward.
    • Down Strong now has a hop on hit that has reduced recovery from hitting the ground (12 frames of aerial recovery on hit vs 20 frames of grounded recovery).
    • Down Strong now sends at a 270 degree angle causing a ground bounce or a spike off stage. The spike power increases if you charge the attack.
  • Side Special:
    • All Wrastors benefit from Current speed even if it is not their current.
  • Up Special:
    • First wing hitbox scaling increased from .6 to .65.
    • Sweet Spot Hitbox scaling increased from 1.0 to 1.2.

Orcane:
  • You can now parry bubbles from both Down Special and Forward Air.
  • Forward Strong:
    • Hitbox Size reduced to match the visual.
  • Up Strong:
    • Hitbox Size reduced to match the visual.

Forsburn:
  • Down Special (Combust)
    • Knockback Scaling increased from .6 to .75.
  • Up Special (Teleport)
    • Knockback Angle from 70 – 80.
    • Knockback Scaling inscreased from .5 to .65.
  • Neutral Special
    • Forsburn stops spewing smoke when taking a hit.

******:

******, the ****** *******, has been added to the game.

General:
  • Wave Land speeds and frictions have been adjusted across characters. Each character should have a different feel when they waveland. Air Dodges are still consistent speeds / distances across characters.
  • Hitstun scaling as knocback increases reduced from .8x knockback increase to .7x knockback increase.
  • Can act from Respawn Platform time increased from 10 Frames to 30 Frames.
  • Respawn time before platform appears increased from 30 frames to 60 frames.
  • The Treetop Lodge has been added back into the game.
  • The Sylvan Beast on the Treetop Lodge has been added to the Aether version of the stage.
  • Merchant Port now has 2 stationary platforms on the basic version of the stage rather than 4 moving platforms.

Menus and UI:
  • Gamecube Controller Support has been temporarily removed from the PC builds. Only Xinput (Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers) will work. We plan to add GC controller support back in a later update.
  • User Profiles have been added to the game.
  • Custom Controls for Xinput Controllers have been added to the game.
  • “Stick Hold” control option removed from the game.
  • Debug Custom Colors are disabled. They will no longer be loaded externally in the future but they are currently turned off.
  • Old debug options have been removed.

Bug Fixes:
  • Forsburn causing team issues fixed.
  • Double Puddle through Orcane Uspecial fixed.
  • Invincible after Pillar Break Bug Fixed
  • Parry and Respawn Invincibilities not working correctly fixed.
  • Double Current on Wrastor Fspecial fixed.
  • Floating Rock Bug Fixed.
  • Wall Jump can be performed when using Tap Jump.

There are probably a few changes over the last couple months that I missed but these are the main take-aways. Look forward to our latest trailer and seeing people check out this build next week.

Thanks,
Dan
tell me there IS keyboard contol

Top Bottom