• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Gonna stream in 10 minutes! Microphone this time!

http://www.twitch.tv/solarderivative

Stop by if you guys wanna chat about June build! Should be able to stream during less awful hours over the course of the weekend, too.

Planning on streaming Thursday and Friday all evening after work, then hopefully that weekend we'll be streaming the June build boys ᕙ༼◕ل͜◕༽ᕗ

edit: wow that stream went way longer than intended, thanks to all who stopped by and discussed stuff, it was fun, I am tired good night

Last edited:

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Hi Guys, sorry for being on such a long hiatus school got me hardcore lol. Now that summer is here I can finally be way more active (Tbh no one here will recognize me ayy gotta let them know lol)

JPIII

Smash Cadet
One Idea I had was to make his neutral b kinda like Marth's smash 4 shield break and his down b can be smoke without the explosion or vice versa. Another thing I had in mind was Make his down b a counter but when you have collected three smokes it does the explosion but then goes back to counter, etc. Message your thoughts on this, I really wanna see what everybody thinks

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
COMBO GIFS!!

More GIF's in spoilers.

High quality versions in this album:
http://imgur.com/a/rOYm2

I would like to ring out the June build in style. Seeing as how this may be our last opportunity to throw a tournament for a while I would like to gauge community interest in a Rivals of Aether 'goodbye june build' tournament in the Santa Barbara/ Goleta area of california.

Would any one be down to show up. We can do finals on a big projector and I should have enough room to host a reasonable number of people. Perhaps next Saturday or Sunday or maybe we can do it in the evening during the week if people are interested in that.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Don't go breakin' my heart, Dan...
As a person who has exclusively Gamecube controllers, I couldn't agree more with GatorFace. I completely understand why it was done (XBox and PC exclusive, only want to deal with one library for the moment) but it's still an inconvenience. I guess it's time for me to go the way of the 64 player and learn how to get by with a keyboard.

Ahh! My Zetterburn recovery buff suggestion was used!! I think! So cool!
And I think my varied wavelands suggestion was used maybe possibly sorta! I might've contributed something to this game!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Welp. I'm not going to be able to do anything with this next build, then, considering I NEED Dinput controllers to be able to play.

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
Am i the only one that feels Fosburn's Specials are kinda bland and should be changed (except up b)
(As a Forsburn main) Definitely disagreed

One Idea I had was to make his neutral b kinda like Marth's smash 4 shield break and his down b can be smoke without the explosion or vice versa. Another thing I had in mind was Make his down b a counter but when you have collected three smokes it does the explosion but then goes back to counter, etc. Message your thoughts on this, I really wanna see what everybody thinks
His whole moveset right now all works in tandem with eachother, which is good design in my opinion. His neutralB is fantastic and the backbone of all of his neutral game (and his recovery game), while downB is super useful for closing out stocks and gives Forsburn multiple ways to be played (smoke based and combustion based). And SideB is the coolest move in the game sooo....

If anything were to be changed, I would suggest the downB, but he definitely doesn't need a shield break move (since there are no shields, so it would just be another attack [boring]) and a counter could be cool I guess and kind of fits his "Deception" theme, but his current downB is better I think. Combining them would be really strange and unintuitive.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
(As a Forsburn main) Definitely disagreed

His whole moveset right now all works in tandem with eachother, which is good design in my opinion. His neutralB is fantastic and the backbone of all of his neutral game (and his recovery game), while downB is super useful for closing out stocks and gives Forsburn multiple ways to be played (smoke based and combustion based). And SideB is the coolest move in the game sooo....

If anything were to be changed, I would suggest the downB, but he definitely doesn't need a shield break move (since there are no shields, so it would just be another attack [boring]) and a counter could be cool I guess and kind of fits his "Deception" theme, but his current downB is better I think. Combining them would be really strange and unintuitive.
Yea I how changing his moveset can kinda take away the deception theme, its nice to see someones thoughts ^^

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
So is there any interest in a tournament hosted in the Santa Barbara/Goleta area of California? I think it would be really fun to see how the different crews stack up against each other.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
So is there any interest in a tournament hosted in the Santa Barbara/Goleta area of California? I think it would be really fun to see how the different crews stack up against each other.
I mean... I think that would be awesome. But there is no way I can go to that. I live in Ohio. I have a feeling there may not be enough people in any one area for that to work very well.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
Just some food for thought:

Playing the March Build, I noticed that I was killing at around 60%-80% with a barely-charged strong attack using Kragg. I decided to test out Zetterburn's Strongs and I was killing at relatively low percents. I believe there is so much knockback scaling involved in charging Strongs that it practically becomes an instant kill with either, or both, of two factors: The opponent is close to the edge, or the opponent is at a high enough percentage (~15%-25%). Keep in mind that these numbers are before hitting them with the attack. Don't know if this should be fixed. Hopefully with the lower stun kills won't be so easy to snag.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique

Playing the March Build, I noticed that I was killing at around 60%-80% with a barely-charged strong attack using Kragg. I decided to test out Zetterburn's Strongs and I was killing at relatively low percents. I believe there is so much knockback scaling involved in charging Strongs that it practically becomes an instant kill with either, or both, of two factors: The opponent is close to the edge, or the opponent is at a high enough percentage (~15%-25%). Keep in mind that these numbers are before hitting them with the attack. Don't know if this should be fixed. Hopefully with the lower stun kills won't be so easy to snag.
It's already fixed in the build I have with slightly more touches made to nerd those overpowered attacks as well

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice

One other thing to note is that DI is really important. Those moves wont kill nearly as early with good DI. I know I have lived through zetters downsmash with the fire consume at well over 100% from the center of fire capital before.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Yes in response to Street I am just not sure how true what he's saying is. I don't find that to be the case with most smash attacks in most situations. The only exception is that weird 'delayed hit stun' thing where you just can't recover at all even though it feels like maybe you should but that should be solved by the hit stun scaling changes in the next build.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Street, of course. Every one should share their thoughts it's up to 4Nace to sort out who's right.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Man, those gifs are slowing down the page for me, it's hard to even scroll D:
Anyways, June build looks hype! Too bad for custom colors though, but that's okay, I can live haha

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Man, those gifs are slowing down the page for me, it's hard to even scroll D:
Anyways, June build looks hype! Too bad for custom colors though, but that's okay, I can live haha
Trevor on the team is working on a GUI for custom colors though, so there's that!

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Will be bringing RoA to my local TOs house probably Wednesday to gauge his interest in it and see if we can have a side tournament on the 20th of June along with the rest of our smash tournaments. I will report back when I get his answer :)

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
This Wednesday, there's going to be a Melee tourney where I live so I might be able to attend and bring RoA.

EDIT: I was wrong about the date and it's not this coming Wednesday, but the next one. I'll still try to bring RoA to that one though.

Last edited:

Brocolli123

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6887-1972
Man I got accepted when I had 1 post on smashboards. He checks your application, not smashboards status.
nice, but I don't know if I will be worthy of playtesting, I know of the basic technicals of melee and can use them but all these people with more experience and know the game on a deeper level help the developement of this much more. To be honest I just want to try it

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
;)

Call me Youngblood (my last name) then, it's what most people do anyway :p
I prefer to be more informal and personal when I refer to people. like calling Xanthus Scott, Fornace Dan, You Trevor, Wrastor Ryan, Puppyfaic Luke, Nyani Haley, etc it's just the way I am haha.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
So I am not sure if this is common knowledge but for any who hasn't figured it out yet (I just did yesterday.)

With Wrastor: it is often possible, on reaction to a whiff, to throw a windtunnel and then Down-B or just down-B through your windtunnel to combo in to sweet spotted up-Bs. The timing on the up-B is pretty tight as your opponent can DI but so far it looks like it is pretty consistent.

I have found this to be extremely effective; it feels like melee style jump-cancelled grab shenanigans. This gives a very reliable setup for sweet spot up-B's and makes Wrastor super dangerous for the kill even at 70-80%.

up-B knockback scaling is about to get buffed so I predict this will be pretty dang mean in the next build.

I encourage others to experiment with it and I hope it doesn't turn out to be too strong because it is really fun.

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
Today at E3 we are revealing Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher! Check her out in action alongside Forsburn, the Exiled Flame in our third trailer!

Maypul is playable on the show floor at the Xbox Booth if you are in LA! We will also be sending out our playtester build a few hours from now which will include Maypul as well as the patch notes from last week.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace

Kasado-Bit

Smash Cadet
Ooooooh, Maypul looks interesting. I see a little bit of ZSS in some of her attacks, but her specials look like something else altogether.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Today at E3 we are revealing Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher! Check her out in action alongside Forsburn, the Exiled Flame in our third trailer!

Maypul is playable on the show floor at the Xbox Booth if you are in LA! We will also be sending out our playtester build a few hours from now which will include Maypul as well as the patch notes from last week.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
Guess who called it? ME!

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
The new character looks amazing! She looks so much fun to play as. I just wonder if her rope-tie-up-ability would be a bit overpowered, but I imagine that's not the case. I hope to get the new build!

Last edited:
Top Bottom