• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Miko

Smash Cadet
yay for the May build! looking forward to trying out all the new stuff you got for us!

not encountered anything that isn't already in this thread recently (got the double puddle glitch but it didn't affect anything else) but might be able to take RoA to a friend nearby after exams - will keep you posted if i come across anything!

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
After being absent for so long, it's nice to see that Online seems to be the focus right now. Really looking forward to seeing how well it works.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Who all here is heading to shuffle next weekend? I need to know who is, and if you'd like to give me social media information so that I can design business cards to hand out to people at the tournament who playtest Rivals of Aether at the stations we'll be setting up. I believe @ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob will be coming along. Anyone else?

I'd also like if you all gave me some way to contact you like twitter or private messaging me a phone number so we could arrange meeting up as well. That would help a whole lot in organizing a big showcase of the game for everyone to see.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to mention another Forsburn thing that I noticed, although it's less of a "bug" (unlike my previous comment on Forsburn's hurtbox appearing in his own smoke) and more of a mechanic that I generally dislike. I really don't think that it's good that a Forsburn can inhale his enemy's smoke. (Along the same lines, I don't like how Kraggs can pick up enemy blocks.) Just as a Wrastor can't take advantage of his enemy's jetstream, these characters shouldn't have access to their enemies' tools. These characters' abilities to take advantage of their opponent causes mirror matches to be very different matchups than a matchup featuring one of these characters facing an opponent with a different character. If every character could pick up a Kragg's block, or every character could inhale a Forsburn's smoke, then I'd be fine with this design choice, but I feel like due to the way it is currently, this causes mirror matches to require much different playstyles than their non-mirror counterparts.

EDIT: Also, have the new playtester builds gone out yet? If not, then when will they be released? I am super hype. :chuckle:

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to mention another Forsburn thing that I noticed, although it's less of a "bug" (unlike my previous comment on Forsburn's hurtbox appearing in his own smoke) and more of a mechanic that I generally dislike. I really don't think that it's good that a Forsburn can inhale his enemy's smoke. (Along the same lines, I don't like how Kraggs can pick up enemy blocks.) Just as a Wrastor can't take advantage of his enemy's jetstream, these characters shouldn't have access to their enemies' tools. These characters' abilities to take advantage of their opponent causes mirror matches to be very different matchups than a matchup featuring one of these characters facing an opponent with a different character. If every character could pick up a Kragg's block, or every character could inhale a Forsburn's smoke, then I'd be fine with this design choice, but I feel like due to the way it is currently, this causes mirror matches to require much different playstyles than their non-mirror counterparts.

EDIT: Also, have the new playtester builds gone out yet? If not, then when will they be released? I am super hype. :chuckle:
I guess to me that sounds like your preference. to me, personally I like how kragg and forsburn can interact with eachothers stuff. Everyone can kind of interact with kraggs rocks and forsburns smoke anyway (by hitting them) so taking away character specific interactions doesnt make much sense to me. Kragg blue can stand on Kragg green's rock, but what happens when he tries to pick it up? does he pull a blue rock from the green rock? then he is holding a rock. why couldnt he pick up green rock if he can clearly lift rocks and touch green rock. Is it like... rockwall's code of honor? "You do not hold another mans rock as you would hold your own." Annnyyway, to wrap up my rant. I think its fine in game for balance, and make world sense. So I would rather it stayed. (Also looking forward to Kragg Kragg teams shenanigans.)

One thing I will say I don't like is how wrastor still benefits from his slipstream if you counter it. I think it would be nice if he got locked out of that buff while the countered slipstream was on screen, or at least had to throw another one. (But wrastor doesnt really need nerfs... so...) Mostly I feel this way just because you dont get much for countering it, it still helps wrastor. It seems weird to me.

Galaxy Ace

Smash Rookie
Excited to say that I am done with finals and can finally focus more on Rivals!

I live in the NY/NJ area with good opportunities to visit strong Melee, PM and Smash 4 events with some top players in those games. In the next few weeks I'll definitely be able to bring out Rivals to show it off to players and get some buzz going as well as get feedback from a variety of players. If possible, I'll look into possibly recording it all locally or perhaps streaming it (anything that would cause slowdown is obviously out of the question, and if my streaming impacts the venue's streaming obviously they will get priority). I also have so really cool ideas for ways to teach people about the game who have never seen it before, and anything I create I'll share here so that other people can use it as well.

Regarding the game and the current discussion of mirror matches. Smash Bros has set this precedent before, because all enemies can use Peach turnips, Link bombs, etc. if they catch them. Also, a Wario can steal another Wario's bike, a DDD can throw another DDD's Waddle Dees and Doos, a Villager can chop another Villager's tree. Those are all Brawl/Sm4sh examples, but I think it makes sense. I think it makes those characters' matchups more unique because the things that you used to use to beat other characters can now be used against you, you have to be more careful with it because the opponent knows. I like that it makes those matches different and I see no problem with it.

To be honest, if letting a Wrastor use an enemy's windstream doesn't detract from the matchup (by making it too easy to excape combos or something) then I think that should happen too. If it doesn't it's no big deal, but I think that allowing mirror matches to work that way adds depth.

4nace

Smash Ace
Excited to say that I am done with finals and can finally focus more on Rivals!

I live in the NY/NJ area with good opportunities to visit strong Melee, PM and Smash 4 events with some top players in those games. In the next few weeks I'll definitely be able to bring out Rivals to show it off to players and get some buzz going as well as get feedback from a variety of players. If possible, I'll look into possibly recording it all locally or perhaps streaming it (anything that would cause slowdown is obviously out of the question, and if my streaming impacts the venue's streaming obviously they will get priority). I also have so really cool ideas for ways to teach people about the game who have never seen it before, and anything I create I'll share here so that other people can use it as well.

Regarding the game and the current discussion of mirror matches. Smash Bros has set this precedent before, because all enemies can use Peach turnips, Link bombs, etc. if they catch them. Also, a Wario can steal another Wario's bike, a DDD can throw another DDD's Waddle Dees and Doos, a Villager can chop another Villager's tree. Those are all Brawl/Sm4sh examples, but I think it makes sense. I think it makes those characters' matchups more unique because the things that you used to use to beat other characters can now be used against you, you have to be more careful with it because the opponent knows. I like that it makes those matches different and I see no problem with it.

To be honest, if letting a Wrastor use an enemy's windstream doesn't detract from the matchup (by making it too easy to excape combos or something) then I think that should happen too. If it doesn't it's no big deal, but I think that allowing mirror matches to work that way adds depth.
Hmm.. yeah hadn't thought about the currents but honestly that would make things consistent across the board. I think I will update them and then address the issue if currents become too annoying / strong in the ditto / teams.

There are some interactions with chars 6 and 7 that will have to be examined as well to see if they can follow the mirror match convention too.

-Dan

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I guess that I can see where the viewpoint that being able to use an opponent's abilities in a mirror match adds depth comes from. You guys are right, and my viewpoint is changed. Part of me finds it funny though that my argument for one change led to the entirely opposite change being made. :p

On a completely unrelated note, I think that when an opponent parries your attack, the length of time they're stuck in after-parry lag should be equal (or at least proportional) to the amount of time the attack parried took. I dunno if this is already the case, but as far as I can tell, it's not. Granted, a system like this might lead to players just jabbing to avoid being stuck in lag for a while...
Either way, I think that proportional parries would be a good idea.

Also, I dunno how this could be implemented without completely changing the physics of a character, but I think that characters like Orcane and Wrastor should have long wavedashes, similar to Marth's in Melee, due to their elements being more slippery/flowing. Maybe you can implement code that checks if the character is landing from an airdodge, and if so, temporarily decreases the friction. I think that this could add to character diversity.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Also, I dunno how this could be implemented without completely changing the physics of a character, but I think that characters like Orcane and Wrastor should have long wavedashes, similar to Marth's in Melee, due to their elements being more slippery/flowing. Maybe you can implement code that checks if the character is landing from an airdodge, and if so, temporarily decreases the friction. I think that this could add to character diversity.
This specifically I 100% agree with. As it stands there is little to no difference between wavedashes, and I do think that it would add a lot of variety to have different lengths.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
This specifically I 100% agree with. As it stands there is little to no difference between wavedashes, and I do think that it would add a lot of variety to have different lengths.
I prefer Wrastor with a shorter Wavedash. Sets up for spacing much easier than a luigi-style wavedash.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Wrastor with a shorter Wavedash. Sets up for spacing much easier than a luigi-style wavedash.
What would be your opinions on Orcane with a Marth/IC wavedash? I feel like Orcane's a very horizontal character (I could be completely wrong, and probably am though) so I think that a long wavedash would help aid to that horizontal movement.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
What would be your opinions on Orcane with a Marth/IC wavedash? I feel like Orcane's a very horizontal character (I could be completely wrong, and probably am though) so I think that a long wavedash would help aid to that horizontal movement.
Orcane does well on the ground. I personally don't think his Wavedash needs much change but I wouldn't mind it being a little longer as well. If he gets that added mobility then he needs some nerfs to something like his dash attack, fstrong, or jab sequence.

Herminator

Smash Rookie
Are playtesting requests still being accepted? It seems I'm a bit late on the band wagon, even though I have been lurking around this thread for a couple of months and I just thought, why not create a smashboards account to get in on the hype?

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
In all fairness, I think the characters should have that of a similar wavedash length to the character's they're based off. For example, I think Zetterburn should have a Spacie wavedash, or Kragg should have a "heavy" wavedash, or Wrastor should have a Wavedash inbetween Marth/Falco's. Something to help people transition between the games a lot better when they play with similar characters.

tomCat

Smash Rookie
I would be interested in a playtesting, if you're still taking requests. I really like the way this game looks and the really unique characters.

D

Deleted member 269706

I would be interested in a playtesting, if you're still taking requests. I really like the way this game looks and the really unique characters.
Yeah same here! I'd love to help provide feedback on everything from visuals to controls (keyboard and gamepad), and all that good stuff.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we've got a lot of new content in this next update! Online, naming, updated pause screen, and a ripple effect when KO'ing opponents!

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Is it bad that I got the March playtest build, but I didn't get any more after that?
Nope! To my knowledge, there is no May Build because Dan is working really hard on online functions (and other neat things like the next rival) in the June build!

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
Said this on the Skype group, but I'll paste it here as well.
I kept saying that the CPU Forsburn clone lags the game on my computer, but I found out it's only is the player who summons the clone isn't player 1. The clones are only optimized for player 1 for some reason. If this problem hasn't been fixed yet, hopefully this helps find the source.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Nope! To my knowledge, there is no May Build because Dan is working really hard on online functions (and other neat things like the next rival) in the June build!
Phew, that's good. I was worried that I missed out on something. I love RoA, and I really don't want to miss out on any step in the game's development.

On that note, I am super hyped for online play. It'll be so much fun to actually come up with a ladder and really start to see a scene emerging.

Mum

Smash Cadet
April or May build is not out yet.

Just clarifying: there is a May build, but it's not out yet. We just won't see the new Rival or the trailer until June.

Now the bad news.

We won't be releasing the trailer until one month from now. It'll be tied with an upcoming event. I won't say which. Might be gaming related, might be smash related, might just be something silly like Father's Day. ;)

We plan to finish up the Treetop Lodge stage and have that be part of our May Developer update. But you'll have to wait until June to see our latest character! That doesn't mean development has slowed down though. Ellian and I are hard at work on character 7.

Thanks,
Dan Fornace

Last edited:

bdeink

Smash Rookie
NNID
bdeink
3DS FC
3179-6082-2990
Seeing as Forsburn with his smoke is another take on the fire element, I'm guessing that you're planning on an ice-bending character as well? :) I'll be looking forward to that!

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Wrastor's smash attacks should charge faster under speed effects.
By dont double post he meant dont post twice in a row... like you just did... again. You can edit your posts so its not nessessary to post a second time.

As for his smashes charging faster, I am not sure why you think that? are you trying to buff him, or nerf him, or are you just thinking about consistancy? It already increases his speed in so many other ways I could see the arguement that its for consistancy, but personally I think its fine as it is now. In my mind the wind Increases his movement, I would think charging is not movement, because... he is not moving. I also really dont think he needs it, but I dont know that it would really effect balance at all.

Top Bottom