• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Mum

Smash Cadet
Just so everyone knows, there's a subreddit where 4nace is showing and taking requests for character previews.

/r/RivalsOfAether

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
This is the type of game that i have been waiting to play for a very long time! Now, I have a question about how damage will be represented in the game. Are you planning on having a %Damage interface just like Smash, or something else?

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
I also have another question: How do you come up with these character names? They're pretty cool!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
This is the type of game that i have been waiting to play for a very long time! Now, I have a question about how damage will be represented in the game. Are you planning on having a %Damage interface just like Smash, or something else?

Electonse

Smash Rookie
Can I give you some idea for your game please ? I have some propositions.

I have a kind of a good imagination and a lot of logic for the kind of universe. Giving idea of a character that have , at the same time , a lot of charism and a good interpretation would be really easy for me.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I am so ecstatic about this game! It looks amazing! My main hope is that it comes to either PC or Wii U. If it doesn't come to either platform I'll be really disappointed. Other than that the game looks really good. I love the art style and the combos look really fluid. Characters and maps look great too! Honestly there's not much to say about this game except how excited I am for it! I am going to be following this project along the way, and will definitely be getting it on launch day! You guys clearly stated the release would be in 2015. I was curious if u have a more specific launch window, like summer 2015? Other than that question all I have to say is good luck on the game and you have my full support!

Richtea007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richtea87
3DS FC
0903-2753-0592
Looks great. Excited to hear more about this game! :)

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
This looks awesome. It's great to see devs creating smash bros style platform fighters with original characters. The only other original IPs with smash gameplay I know of are Megabyte Punch and Air Dash Online(idk if ADO's still alive).

Last edited:

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
This looks awesome. It's great to see devs creating smash bros style platform fighters with original characters. The only other original IPs with smash gameplay I know of are Megabyte Punch and Air Dash Online(idk if ADO's still alive).
Don't forget BrawlHalla.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments! You'll be happy to know I am hard at work on the third character now. We plan on having a short trailer for that character too when we announce him/her so that should be fun :)

As far as release window, we are currently targeting Summer 2015. We'll have more information about platforms soon too!

We also plan to start doing a more regular developer update system starting this next week. I will link it here when we post it.

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:

SmashLover777

Smash Cadet
NNID
Starfy324
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments! You'll be happy to know I am hard at work on the third character now. We plan on having a short trailer for that character too when we announce him/her so that should be fun :)

As far as release window, we are currently targeting Summer 2015. We'll have more information about platforms soon too!

We also plan to start doing a more regular developer update system starting this next week. I will link it here when we post it.

Thanks!
Dan
Cool! I'm excited to see how the new character might look and learning more about the platforms

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
A platform fighter with its own world and characters?

Noice. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Just a quick update for all of you who applied for playtesters. We have reviewed the applications but have not sent out any emails yet. We are going to wait until the middle of August when we have a build that has a redesigned menu experience that is representative of our product. Right now the menus are very much so temporary. As soon as the build is ready to get into player's hands then I will post here and email all the accepted applicants!

Thanks,
Dan

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Seeing the interview, so far my only major complaint is how Zetterburn seems to be an exact reskin of :wolf:. I hope his attacks get shaken up a bit in future updates.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think it's fine. It's a unique moveset within the game and that's all that matters.
I disagree. The game's not doing enough to differentiate itself from Smash in general in my eyes right now. I like the original concept of the Parry system, but overall, I don't want something that's just primarily more of the same.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I disagree. The game's not doing enough to differentiate itself from Smash in general in my eyes right now. I like the original concept of the Parry system, but overall, I don't want something that's just primarily more of the same.
Currently there are no grabs or ledges, that's a huge shakeup of the Smash formula, on top of the Parry system. Idk what else you want besides a different game if that's not enough change for you.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Oooo, Dan's at it again. This game definitely looks like something I'll be able to sink my teeth into. Super excited. I hope to be a big idea pitcher again like I was for Smash Land, back when I went by the name DeeNinjaa. Speaking of Smash Land, I'm seeing a lot of Vaporeon in Orcane. Vaporeon was my main, so I'm super hype to play Orcane. Any chance we could get wallpapers of the artworks for Zetterburn and Orcane in the trailer?

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey man. Glad to have you back. And yeah there is a good amount of Vaporeon in there :). Some new stuff too since Orcane has 4 specials and a set of basic attacks.

Also, I haven't made wallpapers or anything yet. Too busy trying to get a playtester build ready for the middle of August :).

We do have some images online that could be used to make wallpapers:
Thanks,
Dan

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Currently there are no grabs or ledges, that's a huge shakeup of the Smash formula, on top of the Parry system. Idk what else you want besides a different game if that's not enough change for you.
I also see a balance flaw inherent in parries as they stand right now.

The Weapon Triangle of Fighting Games is typically as follows:

Attack (Rock)v

Block (Paper)^............<Throw (Scissors)​

While Parries are an interesting concept, there's only Rock, Paper, and... another Paper right now. There's no reason to actually go on the offensive (choosing Rock) when you can just block and parry.

That's just what I see right now. I like the concept, but there's going to have to be some kind of counter to it, or else play is going to be overwhelmingly campy.

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
That's just what I see right now. I like the concept, but there's going to have to be some kind of counter to it, or else play is going to be overwhelmingly campy.
My suggestion is to make it so projectiles can not be parried. That way, someone can't just sit there and wait to parry an attack all day. My other suggestion is to introduce a penalty for parrying too much. There are two games in particular that induce special penalties for playing too defensively:
BlazBlue: The BlazBlue series has 2 types of penalties: Negative Mode and Danger Mode. Danger Mode happens if you use your Barrier Guard too much, and once it runs out you take 1.2x the damage you would normally take. The Negative Mode happens if you run away too much. You take 1.3x the damage you normally would.
Super Sonic Knockout: This is a fan-game that's basically a Sonic fighter. If you press Down, you can do a Power Guard. Holding Down turns it into a regular guard. If you spam Power Guard too much, you are given a Penalty, which takes away meter and leaves you open for a really long-ass time.

4nace

Smash Ace
I also see a balance flaw inherent in parries as they stand right now.

The Weapon Triangle of Fighting Games is typically as follows:

Attack (Rock)v

Block (Paper)^............<Throw (Scissors)​

While Parries are an interesting concept, there's only Rock, Paper, and... another Paper right now. There's no reason to actually go on the offensive (choosing Rock) when you can just block and parry.

Yup that is a typical fighting game triangle. Only your assessment of rolls, parries and air dodge as Paper is not really accurate. In that triangle, Shields are Paper. Rolls and Air Dodges exist outside the triangle. You cannot grab someone who is rolling. Rolls have quick start-up, significant recovery and full invincibility. You can punish a roll with an attack OR a grab. Rolls vs Attack are more a timing/read balance rather than a Rock/Paper/Scissors triangle.

The Parry currently in Rivals of Aether is a beefed up Risk / Reward of Rolls and Air Dodges. It also has significant recovery but because you stay in place, is even easier to punish than a poorly timed roll. All characters will have aerials that auto cancel. That means it is pretty easy to bait out Parries. Simply approach with an aerial and miss your opponent on purpose. Then you can easily start a combo with a tilt from there.

I'll be watching the balance of Parry of course to make sure it is not too strong defensively. I could simply make Parry have a longer start-up if it is too strong, which would make Parry even more about a read rather than a reflex. The game is being designed to reward smart aggression so the goal of Parry is to sit in a place where it is usable but not dominant.

Thanks,
Dan

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yup that is a typical fighting game triangle. Only your assessment of rolls, parries and air dodge as Paper is not really accurate. In that triangle, Shields are Paper. Rolls and Air Dodges exist outside the triangle. You cannot grab someone who is rolling. Rolls have quick start-up, significant recovery and full invincibility. You can punish a roll with an attack OR a grab. Rolls vs Attack are more a timing/read balance rather than a Rock/Paper/Scissors triangle.

The Parry currently in Rivals of Aether is a beefed up Risk / Reward of Rolls and Air Dodges. It also has significant recovery but because you stay in place, is even easier to punish than a poorly timed roll. All characters will have aerials that auto cancel. That means it is pretty easy to bait out Parries. Simply approach with an aerial and miss your opponent on purpose. Then you can easily start a combo with a tilt from there.

I'll be watching the balance of Parry of course to make sure it is not too strong defensively. I could simply make Parry have a longer start-up if it is too strong, which would make Parry even more about a read rather than a reflex. The game is being designed to reward smart aggression so the goal of Parry is to sit in a place where it is usable but not dominant.

Thanks,
Dan
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to seeing the progress you make! Just applied as a tester and hoping to get a reply. Ive got an Alienware 14 Gaming Laptop so I'm sure it can handle anything you throw at it with the smoothest FPS possible. Good luck mate!

Also, got some ideas for elements you could implement.

Poison, Light, Dark (Shadow), Lightning, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Electonse

Smash Rookie
Oh yes ! new element !
- Poison
- Ice
- Mud
- Wood or Nature
- Steel
- Thunder or Lightning
- Light
- Darkness
- Soul
- Blood
and other power element ;3

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
He's already stated the abilities will be derived from the 4 elements already presented. If they deviate from that I wouldn't count on it.
Let's not clog this thread with element suggestions, anyway. We should just post our thoughts on the game and it's development as news comes out.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
This looks awesome! I really like the art style of this game and the gameplay looks really neat! Can't wait to see more of this game! :)

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to drop into development silence. But I am pushing forward on the third character and need to have him/her ready for an event at the end of August. This has delayed our playtester build by a week or so because both our menus and the third character will be coming in at the same time. This also means that playtesters will get access to the third character before I do an official trailer / announce of that character :). Look for a playtester email the week of August 25th if you applied. We will probably be accepting a good amount of players (not 100% but many).

Also we will have platform news very soon. Perhaps as early as next week!

Here's a gif as a thank you for the support:

Thanks,
Dan Fornace

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
This looks incredible. Great work guys! This will be something to follow. I could always make a combo/gameplay video once a public demo is released, as my Youtube channel has some subz', (15k at the moment) so it will most likely gain some audience there :)

Top Bottom