• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DK Stage Discussion

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I noticed a while back that there is no real thread for stages yet, so after putting it on the backburner and forgetting about it I decided to go ahead and make it. It will be pretty bare bones for a while, but over time I'm sure you guys will find this thread to be useful. Both 3DS and Wii U stages are fair game.

Useful References

http://smashboards.com/threads/ceiling-height-research-thread.384187

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-u-omega-stage-differences.379365

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-u-stage-blast-zone-data.395357

Common Stage List (Wii U)

Battlefield
FD
Smashville
----------------------
Lylat
Town and City
----------------------
Castle Siege
Delfino
Duck Hunt
Halberd
----------------------
Kongo Jungle
Mario Circuit
Mushroom Kingdom U
PS2
Skyloft
Wuhu Island

Stage Specific Details

Cargo Stage Spike Info
Stage | Utoss | Dtoss | Btoss | Ftoss
Battlefeild | Very Slow, Impractical | Very Fast, Doable | Medium, Doable | Medium, Impractical
FD | Impossible | Fast, Hard| Slow, You'll SD | Medium, You'll SD
Smashville | Slow, Easy | Fast, Doable | Medium, Hard | Medium, You'll SD
Lylat | Fast, Easy | Very Fast, Doable | Medium, Doable | Medium, Hard
Town & City | Slow, Easy | Fast, Doable | Medium, Hard | Medium, You'll SD

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Thanks so much for adding those threads for reference, I think when we look at stages it is going to come down to lots of characters specifics, I think a good place to start is to find what stages work best for DK when surviving/killing is most important.
Lets ask ourselves these questions
Best/Worst stage for surviving vertically: BF and Lylat cruise/Halberd and T&C
Best/Worst stage for surviving horizontally: ??

Is there info on the Horizontal blast zones?

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Duck Hunt is an awful stage for DK. I just had a tourney where I lost there.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Thanks so much for adding those threads for reference, I think when we look at stages it is going to come down to lots of characters specifics, I think a good place to start is to find what stages work best for DK when surviving/killing is most important.

I remember I saw someone post something like a list with horizontal %'s, but I couldn't really find it. It might have been 3DS stages though. I might get around to making one as I go along the list of stages if I don't find it by then.

Duck Hunt is an awful stage for DK. I just had a tourney where I lost there.
Yeah, honestly I think that is his worst stage most of the time. The only stages that are worse for him are like the low blastzone stages against Hoo Haa, Rosa Uair, and other silly Rufio type nonsense.

The next update I'll make is going to be about stage spiking and sharking. Stuff like which stages are good at allowing them and which stages are difficult.

PhantomTriforce

Smash Cadet
I think it's important to consider stages where DK can auto cancel up B. For this reason, Battlefield and Lylat seem to be good for DK.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Duck Hunt is awesome for DK. Ple ty of safe landing opportunities. Also see Whiffy Kong

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Duck Hunt is awesome for DK. Ple ty of safe landing opportunities. Also see Whiffy Kong
What? I appreciate you plugging my thread here, but how is this applicable? And no **** is really bad for him since it's 3rd most FD like stage in the stagelist. Dk's large hurt boxes and small roof and side walls make him unexpectedly easy to KO. He also can't abuse his Utilt for juggle purposes.
I think it's important to consider stages where DK can auto cancel up B. For this reason, Battlefield and Lylat seem to be good for DK.
He has 30 frames of AC Spinning Kong lag and like 40 frames of regular Spinning Kong lag. A difference, yes, but not that big. Personally, I choose Halberd.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
What? I appreciate you plugging my thread here, but how is this applicable? And no **** is really bad for him since it's 3rd most FD like stage in the stagelist. Dk's large hurt boxes and small roof and side walls make him unexpectedly easy to KO. He also can't abuse his Utilt for juggle purposes.

He has 30 frames of AC Spinning Kong lag and like 40 frames of regular Spinning Kong lag. A difference, yes, but not that big. Personally, I choose Halberd.
With customs being legal, small ceiling is awesome for DK.
Yeah it's like FD, except with trees that are free to land on and easy to edge cancel on. I find on FD stages the main problem with recovering is how easy it is to punish on landing, Duck Hunt gives you ways of dealing with it.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Small ceilings are not always awesome against DK.
Play against a character with a good Hoo haa like Rob or diddy and it becomes very frustrating.
Over all I'm just waiting for horizontal blast zone data then I'll write up a post on what stages I prefer.

Also what do you guys think of Castle siege? I think it is a fantastic CP. It had varying blast zones that if noted can be very effective, 2 transformations that give us tons of landing options and limit projectile usage, and just tons of options.
It is really great but you can't go "auto pilot" on it. If you are aware of how the stage works and how to play on each transformation I think it is one of DK's best over all counter picks.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Small ceilings are not always awesome against DK.
Play against a character with a good Hoo haa like Rob or diddy and it becomes very frustrating.
Over all I'm just waiting for horizontal blast zone data then I'll write up a post on what stages I prefer.

Also what do you guys think of Castle siege? I think it is a fantastic CP. It had varying blast zones that if noted can be very effective, 2 transformations that give us tons of landing options and limit projectile usage, and just tons of options.
It is really great but you can't go "auto pilot" on it. If you are aware of how the stage works and how to play on each transformation I think it is one of DK's best over all counter picks.
First two parts are great for DK as platforms = happiness, but the last part is absolute booty.

PhantomTriforce

Smash Cadet
So after watching what Will did to Dabuz and after doing it myself, I'm convinced Delfino is a great DK stage. The fact that he can use Storm punch to push you in the water and then dair you is so good.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

I added a link to the new thread regarding blastzone sizes in the first post. It even has horizontal KO%'s from the ledge too. I also added a quick Cargo Stage Spike table.

DJDK99

Smash Rookie
I am trying to find out if DK has any advantages on a particular stage.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
You da bess Big o, seriously dk boards has the best data.

I'll check it out in the morning and prob edit this post.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I am trying to find out if DK has any advantages on a particular stage.
Welcome to smashboards. I moved your post here to help reduce clutter. Next time check out the stickied threads at the top for existing threads before making a new thread.

As for your question on what DK's best stage is, I think a lot of DK mains favor Lylat and Battlefield. The platform layout and smaller stage size helps DK approach and provide cover against certain projectiles like Yoshi's eggs. They also happen to be the easiest stages to pull of Cargo Stage Spikes too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom