• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RHODE ISLAND STRIKES BACK!!! - Ocean State Smash - $100 Bonus!

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman

That's right... RI is back with a brand new venue!

Address
1094 Bald Hill Rd, Warwick, RI 02886
Phone
401-821-GAME
Website
http://www.ButtonMashersVideoGames.com

SCHEDULE

10:00am - Store Opens
11:00am - Sign ups for Melee Doubles
12:30pm - Melee Doubles sign ups end and seeding begins
1:00pm - Melee Doubles Starts
1:30pm - Melee Singles sign ups
2:45pm - Melee Singles sign ups end, and seeding begins
3:30pm - Melee Singles starts

Closing time still being discussed, but there might be time for friendlies after bracket.

ENTRY FEE AND PRIZES:
(All prizes will be paid in cash.)

Venue - $5 per entrant
Singles - $10 per entrant
Doubles - $10 per team / $5 per person
Prize Pool for doubles - 1st/2nd/3rd - 55%/30%/15%
Prize Pool for singles - 1st/2nd/3rd - 70%/20%/10%

Stage Selection
:

Singles Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick Stages: Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64, Pokemon Stadium, Rainbow Cruise.

Teams Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium.
Counterpick Stages: Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64

Stage strike is 1 - 2 - 1

MELEE RULESET

Matches are best out of 3 with advanced slob picks and dave's stupid rule (explained below). Losers Finals, and Winners Finals are best out of 5, with Grand Finals being best out of 7.

Advanced Slob Picks:
The first game in a set is double-blind, and the stage is random (using the random stages listed in the stage selection section).

The following applies to any game in a set played after the first:
The loser of the previous game declares the stage to be used, using any stage that isn't banned. The winner of the previous game then chooses his character. Lastly, the loser of the previous game chooses his character, and the game can start.

- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.

- All games are played with 4 stock, 8 minutes, and no items. Any tie that occurs is settled by comparing stocks remaining (More stocks = win). If there is a tie remaining after comparing stock, compare damage % (Less damage % = win). If a tie remains after comparing stocks and damage %, play out sudden death.

- Before any stage is selected both players may agree to play on a specific stage or to not play on one of the random stages. (If both players don't like Battlefield, then you can agree that Battlefield will not be played if it comes up as the random stage)

Additional Rules:

• For teams play: team attack is on, and stealing stock is allowed.

• Players may have a coach that can give advice to a player for one minute in-between games. As soon as the stage is declared, the coach must not say anything to the player (in terms of advice) until the match ends.

• Glitches that freeze a character, freeze the game, or simply make the game unfinishable are banned and using them will result in losing the entire set.

• Mages DQ Rule:
• • • 2 Minutes Late – Warning
• • • 4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
• • • 6 Minutes Late – Loss of set

• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

• Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.

• Money Matches and friendlies: Keep in mind tournament games take priority over you. Try to get them out of the way during warm-up time. Once the tournament has progressed specific setups will be open for friendlies and money matches.

• If you leave during the tournament please sign out with the host.

• Watch the profanity.

In celebration of the first RI tournament since 2007, I will be throwing an additional 100$ of my own money into the singles pool. I look forward to utilizing this venue a lot more in the future, and hope that we can have a great time! For questions about the tournament, call or text me at 4018377860.

Unlimited

Smash Cadet
PEOPLE! You need to go to this, this is a brand new venue and just by going to this is a great way to support RIs independent game stores.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
PEOPLE! You need to go to this, this is a brand new venue and just by going to this is a great way to support RIs independent game stores.

This is a really great point as well. If this gets the turnout I'm hoping for, it could turn into a monthly, which would be extremely nice.

banyah87

Smash Cadet
A smash tournament in my home state? Will not miss. Hopefully this is the first of many. Show up, people!

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Can someone pick me up from the commuter rail station in Providence?
Depends on when you get into Providence, I'd like to be at the venue by 8am to finish setting up before people get there, so I could possibly venture to get you depending on when you can be in RI

And as Joe said, there is one in warwick too which would probably be better

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
I was thinking about going to this, but I didn't realize it was a Sunday. I'll still see if I can make this.

Out of curiosity, the venue fee is $5, but the store is also taking a 15% cut from the pot as well. I think the venue fee should be enough to satisfy the owners, I'm not sure why there is an extra 15% cut.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about going to this, but I didn't realize it was a Sunday. I'll still see if I can make this.

Out of curiosity, the venue fee is $5, but the store is also taking a 15% cut from the pot as well. I think the venue fee should be enough to satisfy the owners, I'm not sure why there is an extra 15% cut.
Woops that is an OP mistake lol, when I first made the thread we weren't sure which we were doing (venue fee or pot percent) and i guess i never fixed it lol. It'd just a 5 dollar venue fee.

Top Bottom