• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah... honestly I've even seen the big fire emblem fans and supporters on YouTube starting to say "No more fire emblem characters guys, we have enough." A gen 8 Pokémon is an obvious thing to expect though I do hope it's the solo grass type fans have been wanting. Otherwise I think it's time for series like Xenoblade and Metroid to shine, along with potentially another third party character or something.
And honestly, I just want something I don't expect - other than Rex and Pyra, who I'm completely gunning for at this point. I'm expecting a Pokemon and Fire Emblem rep, so I hope they throw a curveball and miss those series altogether - I'm happy with Incineroar and Chrom being the new reps this iteration.

Good chance. Rex is actually pretty popular in Japan and I'm sure Nintendo has some internal polls showing this. I'm also sure both XC2 and the Season Pass blew past Nintendo expectations.

On Pokemon and FE, I think thats just head cannon. We don't have any idea what Nintendo will choose and if they have done any research, they'd know Pokemon and FE aren't going to light any fires. There are also other titles Nintendo has in the works for 2019 we don't know about yet. We could possibly see a character from a game we don't know about yet.
I think the popularity in Japan really helps his chances, plus the success the game(s) had in the West - on that front, Rex and Pyra are covered.
As for what's left, the talks between Nintendo and Microsoft lead me to thinking Banjo might have a chance, but that may end up being Steve from Minecraft. Other than that, I would quite like to see another Metroid rep, even if they are from the new game. If I was to be really bold, I would hope for an Octopath Traveler character, that acts as a 'party' character.

Whatever happens, as long as Rex and Pyra are in, I will be a very happy camper.

Just a random thought, but do you think that Sakurai would sensor Pyra and Mythra's designs? I personally hope not, but given that they covered up Corrin's thighs makes me think they might.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, the biggest thing going against Rex/Pyra is the Mii Costume being a prepurchase bonus for the Fighter's Pass. That really does hurt him because if he's DLC why make a Mii Costume of him also DLC?

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Honestly, the biggest thing going against Rex/Pyra is the Mii Costume being a prepurchase bonus for the Fighter's Pass. That really does hurt him because if he's DLC why make a Mii Costume of him also DLC?
It's a bonus for the fighter pass - just a nice little extra to tide us over. Sakurai loves Xenoblade 2 and Nintendo surely want to use Smash to keep pushing Xeno while it's making money and fresh in the head. Hence why the game had time dedicated to its content in the direct and why Rex is a bonus rather than a built in costume, like Nia. At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself

D

Deleted member

It's a bonus for the fighter pass - just a nice little extra to tide us over. Sakurai loves Xenoblade 2 and Nintendo surely want to use Smash to keep pushing Xeno while it's making money and fresh in the head. Hence why the game had time dedicated to its content in the direct and why Rex is a bonus rather than a built in costume, like Nia. At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself
I hope so man, Rex/Pyra and Elma are my only wanted characters who are still alive and I hope I get one of them, preferably Rex. He would be so sick

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I hope so man, Rex/Pyra and Elma are my only wanted characters who are still alive and I hope I get one of them, preferably Rex. He would be so sick
I was hoping Elma would be base game so that Rex could pave the way for DLC, but at this point I'm fully expecting Rex over Elma, especially since Monolith recently came out and said an X port isn't in the pipeline. I literally wouldn't bat an eyelid at who the other dlc characters are, as long as Rex and Pyra are one of them.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If we have a Season 2 of DLC, I would consider Rex and Pyra a lock. I feel that the way they talked about Rex in the Pass discussion makes it seam like they are actively deconfirming him. I hope that he would be in though!

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
I recently learn that there is some tension between or two threads/communities.
I really sorry about it and i wanted to apologize for it.

This is the message i just posted in the elma's thread.

It s been a while since i posted here and I m a little sad this place deterioated like this.
I will not say we are not culprit here because we are, but we are culprit for letting the bad seeds taking roots in our community. The seeds are principally the hate culture that exist online. And I think i m also a culprit because I hate rex and I think I really dislike xenoblade 2 as a game, but i don t have the courage to go through my old messages to see if have i have posted hate comment about XB2. But if someone is interested i can make a post about all the thing i dislike about XB2 and why I think it s the worst xenoblade, but not the subject today. And i will not hate on someone who love XB2 because this person just has deifferent taste compared to me.

Here I will explain the seeds. Since the release of xeno X we have taken some real **** on our face since day one for a portion of the community that wanted xeno X to be like xeno 1 and can't see xeno X as the game is but only compared to xeno 1. So the seeds where from a portion of the xenoblade community, i repeat a portion. This portion were and is still really vocal.

And then the smash speculation begin and again we were thrown some **** at our faces. To the point were the main argument was nintendo will not acknowledge this game because its trash or even the worst game ever ( i saw people claiming this). If you really think X is trash or the worst ever, you clearly didn't played a lot of video games.
And in the smash community a consensus is that it s rex vs elma. And for a lot of people he was the favorite ( and its king of stupid if you look at newcomer, the newcomers are always from the previous gen). So the haters have now a new thing to put on our faces, everyone wants rex and forget you ****ty character from a ****ty game.
And even for a little we wanted elma in smash to put on their faces that elma and XCX is important for nintendo, because all our other arguments were responded by the same **** each time : she will not be in smash because it s a bad forgotten game. And if nintendo is the supreme authority for them, so be it. We were hopping they will choose her.

And know you take all this hate from a community for 2 years and after you take all this from 2 community until the annoncement of the last newcomers... Of course it will change people...

And now a lot of people start to think that elma is more and more likely, we are happy about that but we start to becoming pretentious and that s not good !

So I'm deeply sorry that we have become like this...
But I remember that before showing my support for elma on this thread, a lot of people on smash boards were telling that the elma's thread was one of the better thread because we were chill and only about love for our character and nice consideration for other characters. Let s get back to this time guys.

I will not say this is the fault of this guy or this guy.
I didn't read through all the posts because I don't have a great connection since 15 days.

We are all culprits here not only elma's supporters but everyone who posted, post or will post hate messages. And i'm sad about it.

English is not my native langage, sorry for all the mistakes and I hope I have clearly said what I wanted to say.

I will say it again. I m deeply sorry about it. This kind of behaviour should not exist in our community. We have faced some hard things and we should not putting the same things on any person.

D

Deleted member

So I made a thread for just Pyra and Mythra you can see it below.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...lc-the-pyra-and-mythra-support-thread.463497/

I made it because if Mii costumes remove a characters chances(IF THEY DO) I wanted to show Pyra and Mythra themselves can still join and be an fun character

And the XCX and XC2 fans are fighting? since when?
The Elma thread kinda bashes XC2 and Rex a lot for seemingly no reason, but they've toned down on it a while ago

zferolie

Smash Hero
thats surprising. I haven't been there for a bit but when I was there they all seemed nice

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Last time I checked in much with the Elma thread it was new, hyped, and full of hope.... and also was under the Smash 4 newcomer speculation so probably totally different from this one you guys are talking about, now that I think about it.

I was super down for Elma to get a DLC nod back then, but for the vast majority of the Smash 4 poll's life, Elma was nothing more than a few teaser pics and clips mostly from Japan. Unless you got the japanese version of the game, that was the extent of your exposure. In the west, we didn't even really get to know her until after the ballot was over. I was interested in her just from what I'd seen of the game before it came over and the fact that I really liked XC1 so wanted more representation. But I didn't get on that character's bandwagon for real until after I'd actually played the game some. For most people, that's just how it was so Elma in the west really had some unfortunate timing. Many people got on her team during that window of time after the ballot but before DLC was announced.

Think I've poked my head into the current one a couple times, but have been generally a lot less active for this game's pre launch character support. Tbh, it's been a much faster process from announcement to release. And after E3, felt like there was little to actually speculate, heh.... comparatively.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
It’s perhaps one of the best mii costumes... I’d still like to see Rex, along side pyra and Mythra, as a dlc character though. I noticed people wanting pyra and mythra sepperate cuz of the torna dlc but personally I believe even in torna teamwork between blade and driver was a core element, having Rex or pyra/mythra “solo” just doesn’t sit right.

If anything it gave me the idea of swapping Rex to the secondary character and letting pyra or mythra be playable with shield b or holding b.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know Rex/Pyra are in a pretty decent position despite the mii costume

They are both from a recent franchise that Nintendo want's to push so they would make sense for a promotional dlc, AND they're Sakurai's pet favorite so they could make it in as a Sakurai pick

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It was just a short spell, for like one or two days after some gamefaqs poll I think
X has a very insular community. While the Xeno series is pretty scifi, XC1 and 2 aren't. A lot of people who like X like the sci-fi, they like the mechs (which are more window dressing in 1 and 2) and enjoy the load of content it has. People who like XC 1 and 2 like it more for its unique world and focus on character and story. A lot of the X people hate XC2 because it's radically different but more popular than X. While Takahashi has spoken about doing X-2, I think the community is worried XC will become more like 2 and less like X. This is why they hate 2 a lot.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Its an odd omission that there doesn't appear to be any music tracks from X in this game. Even if Elma wasn't planned to be in the game as base/dlc, why would you not add more music for the Xeno series? It has a huge library of suitable tracks, and from what I can see, the only new tracks are the 3 from XC2. I don't get it. Maybe Sakurai only cared for XC2?

Honestly I think they just haven't been unlocked yet. I seriously doubt that out of 900 tracks that there's isn't at least one X song. I do however feel that for the most part at this point that X has been largely ignored and most of the focus has been put on the main line Xenoblade series.

While Takahashi has spoken about doing X-2, I think the community is worried XC will become more like 2 and less like X. This is why they hate 2 a lot.
I kind of hope X2 ends up somewhere in the middle honestly. I like X's direction, but man could it improve with a more focused specialized cast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hoped for both Elma and Rex, but at this point I'm just hoping we at least get Rex. I've always seen him as obvious DLC and even now he seems like the most obvious 1st party DLC option just because his popularity, support, and Sakurai bias. I know Nintendo picked the characters to be in DLC, but Sakurai had the final choice on their viability. And I just don't see Nintendo not wanting more advertisement for their new 1 million dollar selling 1st party franchise.

As for stages personally Letherian Archipelago just makes too much sense. I'd also love to see the song for that map being smashified and maybe mixed with a battle song to make it dynamic and epic. Either way the more Xenoblade content, the better; whatever form it may take.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Honestly I think they just haven't been unlocked yet. I seriously doubt that out of 900 tracks that there's isn't at least one X song. I do however feel that for the most part at this point that X has been largely ignored and most of the focus has been put on the main line Xenoblade series.
I'm under the camp that any X content was simply not shown. There's probably over 1000 spirits and they weren't going to showcase all of them in a 40 minute direct. Not to mention that Nia's mii outfit wasn't even showcased in the Direct in either the Mii Outfit or Xenoblade 2 segments, but revealed during a livestream. It's obvious that not all content from Ultimate was revealed.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I agree, but I do think the fact that X wasn't showcased is somewhat indicative to the team's perception of the game. I want to say a skell was a visible spirit in either a livestream or during the direct and I highly doubt they won't have at least one song from the game. I'm under the impression that there are maybe 2-5 more hidden Xenoblade 2 songs and 1-3 Xenoblade X songs left to be unlocked.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah, there's been some bs calling Rex just a "generic anime protagonist"
You mean like any protagonist from an RPG with an anime art style ever?
There's only so much you can do with that art style. Even then, Rex's design isn't basic or generic by any means - it's very steampunk and industrial, not that disimilar to Shulk, really. Maybe they just don't like his hair style.... needs more edge, right?........

You know Rex/Pyra are in a pretty decent position despite the mii costume

They are both from a recent franchise that Nintendo want's to push so they would make sense for a promotional dlc, AND they're Sakurai's pet favorite so they could make it in as a Sakurai pick
I think the fact that Sakurai has a soft spot for them puts them in a really good position - even with Nintendo being the ones who made the picks, I would've thought they would want to promote the hell out of Xenoblade given its success. And even though Xenoblade isn't a Sakurai franchise, we've seen the attention to detail that he gives to franchises he loves. Just look at Fire Emblem and how much content that received.

I kind of hope X2 ends up somewhere in the middle honestly. I like X's direction, but man could it improve with a more focused specialized cast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hoped for both Elma and Rex, but at this point I'm just hoping we at least get Rex. I've always seen him as obvious DLC and even now he seems like the most obvious 1st party DLC option just because his popularity, support, and Sakurai bias. I know Nintendo picked the characters to be in DLC, but Sakurai had the final choice on their viability. And I just don't see Nintendo not wanting more advertisement for their new 1 million dollar selling 1st party franchise.

As for stages personally Letherian Archipelago just makes too much sense. I'd also love to see the song for that map being smashified and maybe mixed with a battle song to make it dynamic and epic. Either way the more Xenoblade content, the better; whatever form it may take.
I hope that the X songs are just locked, because it would be a huge mistake to leave X music out of this game. It fits too well, just imagine black tar or the oblivia theme.

I personally gave up hope for Elma after the base roster was revealed. I wanted them both, but if I am to choose between Elma and Rex, I'm picking Rex (assuming he's coming with Pyra and Mythra obviously). If we get both as DLC, I would be very happy, but I can't see your average Smash fan being happy with 2 Xenoblade characters as DLC.

I like Letherian Archipelago, but I'm not sure I would have it as the representing stage. I would like the World Tree, but I think that might be too much of a spoiler stage....
I had an idea for a stage that encapsulates Xenoblade 2 and it's world of titans, since I don't think I could pick just one. Why not have Azurda as the stage? Travelling across the cloud sea with cameos from all the titans. It might be a bit weird to have Azurda as a titan and Azurda in your helmet, but I think the stage would be really cool.

I'm under the camp that any X content was simply not shown. There's probably over 1000 spirits and they weren't going to showcase all of them in a 40 minute direct. Not to mention that Nia's mii outfit wasn't even showcased in the Direct in either the Mii Outfit or Xenoblade 2 segments, but revealed during a livestream. It's obvious that not all content from Ultimate was revealed.
I would find it staggering if nothing from X is in this game. There are already obscure spirits revealed to be in through trailers and screenshots - I do find it baffling that none of these have been X related so far, but they surely can't ignore a whole game in the Xeno franchise.
Given the quality of X's soundtrack, despite how overlooked it may be, that they would've shown something already. Fingers and toes crossed that it's hiding in the final game.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
There are already obscure spirits revealed to be in through trailers and screenshots - I do find it baffling that none of these have been X related so far, but they surely can't ignore a whole game in the Xeno franchise.
There actually is confirmation of a Skell Spirit.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
I believe both Sakurai and Nintendo definitely know people want Rex & Pyra. People believing that he is hinting that they are not going to be DLC solely because a Mii fighter costume would sound like Sakurai is being very spiteful.

And before anyone tells me that Rex cannot be in because the Rex costume is obtained by buying the fighter's pass...
This means that if Rex was DLC, you'd have to buy him to get his mii costume.

He is definitely still possible. Sakurai probably has some sort of tricky foresight (Get it?) when it comes to what he plans.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Rex and Pyra are my most wanted characters (along with Shantae, but heh at this point) and I'm a little torn on their chances. I do think the Mii costume is a little weird to have as something to "tide us over" until the real Rex shows up. I mentioned it somewhere else, but the Rex Mii costume is also really well done with Gramps in the helmet and flame effects for the sword and to me that says either they really wanted to sell us that you're playing as Rex or potentially they could use those assets for the DLC, which is a bit of a stretch.

All in all, I do reeeally want Rex and Pyra, and I'll hold out hope. I think I'll just forget about DLC once I have the game lol.

As an aside, I know everyone seems to think they'll function with Pyra in the background, but I'd like to think they could make them like Ice Climbers where Pyra follows like Nana. I guess the difference is while Nana attacks, Pyra would just give buffs if she stayed close like increased knockback and damage. And while that does sound a little OP, Ultimate is a really fast game where both players are moving all over constantly, so it probably wouldn't be as easy as it sounds. Just my take on it since the thought of Pyra being in the background makes me sad.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Rex and Pyra are my most wanted characters (along with Shantae, but heh at this point) and I'm a little torn on their chances. I do think the Mii costume is a little weird to have as something to "tide us over" until the real Rex shows up. I mentioned it somewhere else, but the Rex Mii costume is also really well done with Gramps in the helmet and flame effects for the sword and to me that says either they really wanted to sell us that you're playing as Rex or potentially they could use those assets for the DLC, which is a bit of a stretch.

All in all, I do reeeally want Rex and Pyra, and I'll hold out hope. I think I'll just forget about DLC once I have the game lol.

As an aside, I know everyone seems to think they'll function with Pyra in the background, but I'd like to think they could make them like Ice Climbers where Pyra follows like Nana. I guess the difference is while Nana attacks, Pyra would just give buffs if she stayed close like increased knockback and damage. And while that does sound a little OP, Ultimate is a really fast game where both players are moving all over constantly, so it probably wouldn't be as easy as it sounds. Just my take on it since the thought of Pyra being in the background makes me sad.
I've always wanted what you described. I never understood why most people seem to want or only can imagine Pyra/Mythra act as pokemon trainer. Simply have Pyra/Mythra follow Rex around. Though I can see Pyra and Mythra give both buffs and do attacks based on blade specials and maybe something from cutscenes as well.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I've always wanted what you described. I never understood why most people seem to want or only can imagine Pyra/Mythra act as pokemon trainer. Simply have Pyra/Mythra follow Rex around. Though I can see Pyra and Mythra give both buffs and do attacks based on blade specials and maybe something from cutscenes as well.
Yeah I was playing with the idea of them doing attacks, but it'd probably have to be only elemental kind of things like in Torna. I forgot that it was in Torna where each member of the team had their own weapon (Addam and Mythra have their own swords) while Rex and Pyra share just the one, so if Pyra were to attack while you were playing as Rex, she'd have to do it with fire.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Yeah I was playing with the idea of them doing attacks, but it'd probably have to be only elemental kind of things like in Torna. I forgot that it was in Torna where each member of the team had their own weapon (Addam and Mythra have their own swords) while Rex and Pyra share just the one, so if Pyra were to attack while you were playing as Rex, she'd have to do it with fire.
I like that, kind of like that scene in chapter 7
with Nia striking enemies with water while Rex used her sword

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
I would think their specials moves would be...

Neutral: Blade Special (Use one of Pyra or Mythra's Specials from the game, When Kirby copies Rex, Kirby gets a hat of either Pyra or Mythra depending on who is active and Kirby will use the blade special himself)
Side: Anchor Shot (A Ranged command grab that also can be used as a Tether Recovery)
Up: Rolling Smash (Rex and Pyra/Mythra both make a big rolling leap followed by slamming his sword down with a shockwave, Recovery is similar to Kirby's Final Cutter or Chrom's Aether)
Down: Blade Switch (Switch between using Pyra and Mythra)

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I would think their specials moves would be...

Neutral: Blade Special (Use one of Pyra or Mythra's Specials from the game, When Kirby copies Rex, Kirby gets a hat of either Pyra or Mythra depending on who is active and Kirby will use the blade special himself)
Side: Anchor Shot (A Ranged command grab that also can be used as a Tether Recovery)
Up: Rolling Smash (Rex and Pyra/Mythra both make a big rolling leap followed by slamming his sword down with a shockwave, Recovery is similar to Kirby's Final Cutter or Chrom's Aether)
Down: Blade Switch (Switch between using Pyra and Mythra)
For me, I'm not entirely sure what the moveset could be.

I don't think Mythra would be added into the mix so...
Neutral: Anchor Shot (Command grab and tether recovery)
Side: Double Spinning Edge (gives horizontal momentum)
Up: Rolling Smash (Similar to your description, similar to Aether or Final Cutter, which is too bad because those are subpar recoveries lol)
Down: I could see this being a fire attack from Pyra, so Blade Special

So I think my moveset is actually very similar to yours just without Mythra. I added Double Spinning Edge for some oomph and having any kind of horizontal movement in the air would be so beneficial if his recovery is going to be mostly straight up and then down.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not let him feel wel-

Oh. He's banned. Praise be to the mods.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not let him feel wel-

Oh. He's banned. Praise be to the mods.
???

John Dylan Smith? What kind of trouble did he do, and what got him banned? I’d really like some context here, please.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
???

John Dylan Smith? What kind of trouble did he do, and what got him banned? I’d really like some context here, please.
Spamming the same type of message to other character support threads
That and being doom-and-gloom to the point of utter obnoxiousness (and obviously trying to piss people off rather than have an actual debate on the game's merits) in the General Discussion thread.

I will have to PM any further details if you want them. I don't think the mods will take kindly to my assessment of his character.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That and being doom-and-gloom to the point of utter obnoxiousness (and obviously trying to piss people off rather than have an actual debate on the game's merits) in the General Discussion thread.

He was carrying the exact same attitude to every other thread he visited — that attitude being “the game sucks because Sakurai didn't specifically pander to my desires, but people who do not agree with me exist and that is completely intolerable, so I will devote every single breath I take to ranting about how much the game sucks to as many people as I can force to hear me, no matter what anybody says to the contrary or how reasonable their statements are, because the only way I can be happy is if I get absolutely everything I want, and my happiness is the only thing in the universe that has any importance whatsoever”.

TL;DR: He's a brat, and that makes his opinion completely invalid.
Yeesh. Self-entitlement incarnate, am I right?

Top Bottom