• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I recently started Xenoblade 2 and I've been really liking it so far. I definitely want Rex and Pyra in Smash, and having Mythra too would be cool. I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 right now, so I haven't had too much experience with Mythra yet, though. I'm not quite sure how they differ, other than lightning attacks rather than fire.
in terms of combat they give you they same arts (though its light no lightning) which is why i think its make sense that switching between the two of them would only change the effects of attacks

Machete

Smash Ace
Will absolutely love to see Rex with Pyra and Mythra. I am glad they seem so likely for DLC, but I sure wish they were on the base roster. I really want to see what Sakurai can do with them.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hi guys, it has been a while since I came here lol.

From times goes on we get more info about Smash Ultimate... here's something I need to say which might be either shocking or disappointing to you guys

I actually now leaning more to that Rex won't be in SSBU... in the main game at least. Let's face it, XC2 is really a too early game, and yes we do have some Switch reps like Botw and Odyssey but those are more notable titles and XC2 was only worked with around 40 people in house... so I doubt Sakurai will actually pay attention to XC2 at the time.

Hey guys... I just had a fun thought. Kind of a "pie-in-the-sky" "imagine this" sort of thing that I don't expect to create discussion but rather just make you go "dammit, now I want that", heh.

Imagine... Core Crystals as an item.

Like I said, total pie-in-the-sky... but it's a fun idea. Blade cameos galore~
I actually have said the same thing lol.
Guys, there's a Xenoblade anime that just aired. Pyra looks great!
View attachment 151830

I'm lying, but the girl looks so much like Pyra.
Let's once again be real here. We all wish for an official XC2 anime to happen some day right?LOL

I mean yeah, you have her hair, eyes, hell even her personality somewhat being similar to Pyra. What's missing though is her core crystal lol.

To be fair Aussie Xenoblade 2 only really gets hate from the anti-anime crowd. X is still the bigger basebreaker, because how different it was in compare to the original.
Okay... I know it has been a month after this but hear me out
Oh trust me... I have been going back and forth on some users on Nintenzone social thread where you do have some people really just panned XC2 just because of fanservice, and some Blades. More wild when like Dahlia was revealed and how some pointed out XC2 artist Saitou draws hentai etc... which I'm not sure why doesn that even matter lol.

What's more hilarious is that a majority of them there play Fire Emblem, especially Heros. And they can take FE but not Xenoblade? I mean you even have a backroomer who I won't say who, but yeah... no shots on him but his opinion on XC2 is a really tough pill to swallow.

I mean you even have this video here, which yes I watched the entire video. But man while he did put a lot of references in his statements but no matter how well you do it. You can still see his biasness in every of his statements.
And yeah, you will have some people use like/dislike ratio to rub it on our face since this vid while getting a majority of likes it still gets a decent dislikes... and I cans see why... anyone who isn't a XC2 fan will think this video makes sense, but for us this video is pretty much a dumpster fire.

One thing good is that this vid made this Youtuber go decent subs... despite this is his only video about XC2... which makes it more awkward...
And never fear, this Youtuber Appabend got this, I also post this vid to some users/XC2 naysayers who I know for a while. But I see one even just gloss off the vid and don't even bother to watch it... yeah... nice way of debating buddy.

D

Deleted member

I probably shared this idea before in this thread, but what you'd think if Rex's gameplay is inspired from TTGC which and enables to swap between Rex and Pyra/Mythra in battle?

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Xenoblade 2 isn't even all that sexualized of a game as people claim it to be, anyone who has actually played it will tell you that, there's very few blades that have big tiddies, ass, etc. and if done, it's not like it detracts from the quality of the game in the first place. In cutscenes you never see an ass shot of Pyra/Mythra for no reason like "fanservicey" games tend to do, for example.

Another complaint I usually see are people claiming Pyra and Mythra's designs being bad because "they barely have any clothing", the former being the one that gets more flak for it (wow it's almost as if these people who complain haven't played the game and don't know about mythra), regardless, they only show their thighs and arms, but where's the wrong there? I just find it very dumb and it still amuses me how after a year people still ***** about this. I'm honestly tired of it. Even Xenoblade X shows more fanservice than 2 and I'd still argue there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I probably shared this idea before in this thread, but what you'd think if Rex's gameplay is inspired from TTGC which and enables to swap between Rex and Pyra/Mythra in battle?
I'd say that wouldn't make much sense because that's only a feature for Torna DLC, I know Sakurai cherry picks from a lot of the game a character's from to make a moveset but Rex [and anyone else] have never done that in the main game.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Unoffical for now but someone in the Xenogames general on 4Chan said there are dummy files for XC2 in the game, 5 in total. While its 4Chan, datamine information has come from the /vg/ thread in the past. Its expected that one is for Shulk and another is for all other amiibo. If this is true, it may very well mean Xeno is getting another character in Smash, most likely Rex. The other three could be Rex w/ Pyra, w/ Mythra and an echo.

While its possible it could be for something else, its most likely Smash. Nintendo usually doesn't add amiibo support to already existing games with a few exceptions. Mario Kart 8 and AC New Leaf were the only other two and these games were far more successful than XC2 was. Also, these games used existing amiibo lines. Torna is releasing in less than a month which isn't enough time to get a new amiibo line (nor would expect Nintendo to make a line for an expansion). If the amiibo files are in the game, this could point to Rex (or at least something Xeno related) in Smash.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Wait, If I understood this properly: 5 Dummy files for amiibos were leaked for XC2? Smash or not, damn, I hope this is true because I really want an affordable merchandise for this game. _Looks at those gorgeous yet expensive Pyra/Mythra figurines I'll never get_

If there's 5 of them could it be Shulk, Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Elma? Maybe Addam?? It makes so much sense it could actually sound realistic. At the same time I'd be kind of sad because it would totally ruin any surprise in their inclusion though.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Here is a screencap of that part of the thread. We'll see if it comes through. As far as I know, people usually don't troll and make stuff up in the generals.
EDIT: Swapped out the image as something got cut off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I reckon it's possible that the dummy files are just three non-XC amiibo that are getting special treatment. Like, idk, maybe you can get a Link costume or something. Games like MK8 and Bye-Bye Boxboy do similar stuff in terms of amiibo support – costumes for select amiibo that aren't from their series.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The /vg/ poster's full of ****, he's been making up things for ages now. Go to the Reddit datamining discord if you need to find out about anything relating to empty game files.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The /vg/ poster's full of ****, he's been making up things for ages now. Go to the Reddit datamining discord if you need to find out about anything relating to empty game files.
Someone noted that as well. First I've heard about it. I haven't looked through the datamine (want to avoid spoilers) so I can't confirm it its BS or not. Haven't heard much about 1.5.2 yet

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Posted this in the general discussion thread 'fore it got locked. What do you guys think?

"I was brainstorming a Rex/Aegis moveset for a lil bit. Not much done yet but I did think of a special mechanic they could use:
Rex would be able to build his affinity with Pyra/Mythra by doing damage (Only by doing damage) and it would level up his special moves, in a way, making them stronger as he attacks. Another idea I had is making his neutral special his blade super attacks, and it'd change to different moves depending on the affinity level you reach. So Pyra mode would start out with his NSpecial being Flame Nova, and then level up to Burning Sword. Same would apply to Mythra, though obviously her NSpecials would be differet."

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've supported Rex and Pyra, or just Pyra/Mythra or whatever from XC2 since I played it. Such a great game. I think they're a bit too late to be base game, but I'd be shocked if they aren't in the game eventually.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Rex would be able to build his affinity with Pyra/Mythra by doing damage (Only by doing damage) and it would level up his special moves, in a way, making them stronger as he attacks. Another idea I had is making his neutral special his blade super attacks, and it'd change to different moves depending on the affinity level you reach. So Pyra mode would start out with his NSpecial being Flame Nova, and then level up to Burning Sword. Same would apply to Mythra, though obviously her NSpecials would be differet."
I think building up Blade Special level is a good idea, but I don't know about tying them all to one attack. Burning Sword would make a good recovery (since they both jump with the sword) and could increase in height according to your Blade Special level. And depending on what the rest of their gimmick is (Ice Climber style duo fighter? Pokemon Trainer esque?), Smash attacks could also take inspiration from Blade Specials (particularly the spinning firesword for forward smash, pillar of flame for down special, etc).

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I think building up Blade Special level is a good idea, but I don't know about tying them all to one attack. Burning Sword would make a good recovery (since they both jump with the sword) and could increase in height according to your Blade Special level. And depending on what the rest of their gimmick is (Ice Climber style duo fighter? Pokemon Trainer esque?), Smash attacks could also take inspiration from Blade Specials (particularly the spinning firesword for forward smash, pillar of flame for down special, etc).
The idea I had for Rex's specials was this:
NSpecial - Blade Specials
Side Special - Double Spinning Edge - Would be able to be cancelled into any other normal, special, or a jump. Can also be cancelled into itself once.
USpecial - Anchor Shot - Fires the wire from anchor shot in one of 8 directions you aim after activating. Massive reach. Zips Rex to the anchor's location when it contacts terrain (Also makes him grab ledge when he zips to it, and it will auto-lock onto ledge if it passes close by it), but acts as a two hit attack if it connects with an opponent, dragging them towards Rex before he finishes off with a sword slash that knocks them away.
DSpecial - Blade Switch - Just switches between Pyra and Mythra.
I was thinking it as a slight variation of the Pokemon Trainer style, where Rex stays and his moves/properties change, as the Ice Climber style wouldn't fit with how the two fight in their source game.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I have a question MojoRobo MojoRobo

Aren't Blade Specials just the buffs and status boost the Blades (Mythra/Pyra) randomly gave their Drivers during battle?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Blade Arts are the random buffs during battle.
Blade Specials are the levelled arts that go from 1 to 4.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I have a question MojoRobo MojoRobo

Aren't Blade Specials just the buffs and status boost the Blades (Mythra/Pyra) randomly gave their Drivers during battle?
PSIGuy already clarified it, but you do bring up the good idea of Blade Arts being implemented. I don't know how, exactly, but maybe he'd get buffed after landing certain attacks? Just to eliminate the need for including RNG, since Sakurai doesn't like that anymore. Though to be fair, RNG isn't always a bad mechanic. I think it'd be fun if the buffs he got were random, just so long as it didn't massively buff him.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Blade Arts are the random buffs during battle.
Blade Specials are the levelled arts that go from 1 to 4.
Okay, I always called them Special Arts. This game has systems within systems within systems within systems with no manual or glossary so I took in a lot and tried to remember terms best I could.

link2702

Smash Champion
Just finished xc2 and working on ng+.

Although I’m not a massive supporter of rex like i was Shulk, i do kinda hope he makes it.

If he does I hope they make him kinda like pkmn trainer in that he has 3 blades to switch to that all change his playstyle. Those blades imo should be pyra,
nia(unless she becomes playable which HELL YES, but sadly that’s unlikely)
and roc, or a tank blade instead of two attackers to kinda round things out.

Now I’m not quite sure *how* they could work things in such a way to make a healer blade work in smash without making them completely broken or completely useless, but if they could it could provide a very unique character,

D

Deleted member

I'd say that wouldn't make much sense because that's only a feature for Torna DLC, I know Sakurai cherry picks from a lot of the game a character's from to make a moveset but Rex [and anyone else] have never done that in the main game.
Fair point, but one of the big appeals of Smash is you can play as characters you don't play as often in their source games, such as :ultmewtwo:, :ultridley: and :ultdarksamus:.

And I think the more casual audience would be disappointed that Pyra/Mythra are only relegated as a background character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fair point, but one of the big appeals of Smash is you can play as characters you don't play as often in their source games, such as :ultmewtwo:, :ultridley: and :ultdarksamus:.

And I think the more casual audience would be disappointed that Pyra/Mythra are only relegated as a background character.
you can play as mewtwo all the time in pokemon

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But you only catch it when you become the League Champion, which greatly reduces its utility for the main game.
yeah but you still get to play as him you were wording it like it was a rare opportunity like with the metroid villains

also there are ways in which you can get mewtwo before hand like trading

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I recently started Xenoblade 2 and I've been really liking it so far. I definitely want Rex and Pyra in Smash, and having Mythra too would be cool. I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 right now, so I haven't had too much experience with Mythra yet, though. I'm not quite sure how they differ, other than lightning attacks rather than fire.
Her blade skills give her more utility than Pyra. Her strength and critical hit rate are higher, which work with her ability to recharge arts after landing crits.
Her specials also have different affects.
If they incorporate the switching mechanic in smash, they could change the specials depending on whether you have Pyra or Mythra out, similar to the game. The arts you use would obviously stay the same.

based on what happened with shulk i think we can anticipate this as an alt for rex

I hope we get that alt for Pyra and Mythra too...
Also, never noticed how short Rex is.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I hope we get that alt for Pyra and Mythra too...
Also, never noticed how short Rex is.
Probably... Not, and what's more is that some 3xoecyed or just wish that Pyra and Mythra's clothing gets censorship... Which, maybe but not sure why...

Machete

Smash Ace
Gah, Rex and Pyra are basically my most wanted now with realistic chances, but there's no way they'll be there before dlc. Makes me kinda mad. Also I don't think there'd be too much censorship with them. Pyra would probably just get longer shorts and I don't even think Mythra would need much. Swimsuits might be too much, but dlc means they might be more lenient.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Gah, Rex and Pyra are basically my most wanted now with realistic chances, but there's no way they'll be there before dlc. Makes me kinda mad. Also I don't think there'd be too much censorship with them. Pyra would probably just get longer shorts and I don't even think Mythra would need much. Swimsuits might be too much, but dlc means they might be more lenient.
Sorry but, if I really want them to be in Smash. I still think their chance is very very slim. I think them having a trophy is a more possible choice. Then again we got Botw and Odyssey stuff in the game, so that's mean any games that are being released in Switch's launch year might still have chance that's for sure.

That being said not sure why you have to be mad about this lol. Even if they aren't in I will still be fine and get the game. As for censorship though, just look at ZZS and Bayonetta... they still got censored, and ZZS have her breast reduced.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i only discovered tatsu and riki's cameos in xenoblade 2's challenge mode last night

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I will be sad if this is not one of the Xenoblade 2 songs we get with Rex in Smash

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
All of Rex's moves while using the Aegis could be easily translated to Smash. Mythra/Siren could be the final smash,

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Support. He'd be a rather unique fighter with Pyra working like a mix of Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer. That and Xenoblade seems like an interesting series. It could use another rep.

I expect though they along with Banjo-Kazooie will likely be DLC if they get in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone else helping we get stuff like the blades further in the series? i like some of them to be recurring characters

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
anyone else helping we get stuff like the blades further in the series? i like some of them to be recurring characters
You mean the Rare Blades? I think that depends really since few Xenoblades have sequels connected to the same universe. But all of them are so cool that I would hate for them to be in one game.

Top Bottom