• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys... I just had a fun thought. Kind of a "pie-in-the-sky" "imagine this" sort of thing that I don't expect to create discussion but rather just make you go "dammit, now I want that", heh.

Imagine... Core Crystals as an item.

Like I said, total pie-in-the-sky... but it's a fun idea. Blade cameos galore~
well some of us have had that idea too, so we're not against it

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If there's anything new Xenoblade related you can count on Soraya Saga retweeting it, and possibly an artist. The Nintendo E3 Direct was retweeted by Kunihiko Tanaka (Gears/XBX's artist who did Shulk's Blade artwork) and Shulk was shown during the Smash coverage and Treehouse Live, after all.

I'm betting on zippo Xeno- content being shown anyways.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Definitely add me to the list. Rex and Pyra are my most wanted Smash newcomers. Absolutely adored X2, got the Special Edition and Pyra controller.

Nintendo would be missing a huge opportunity to add terrific and unique characters, not to mention Xenoblade needs more reps.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the support list. Rex and Pyra have been my most wanted newcomers since this game was announced, and Xenoblade 2 just barely edges out 1 as my all-time favourite game.

I feel pretty confident Rex is going to get in the game and think he still has a really good shot at the base game, though I'm not expecting anything in tomorrow's Direct: Rex strikes me as one of the last cards to be drawn, like Shulk before him.

D

Deleted member

Here's a thing I've been thinking last night:

What if the gameplay of Rex & Pyra is inspired of Golden Country's swapping mechanic between Blades and Drivers, and that you can interchange between Rex and Pyra in battle in Smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a thing I've been thinking last night:

What if the gameplay of Rex & Pyra is inspired of Golden Country's swapping mechanic between Blades and Drivers, and that you can interchange between Rex and Pyra in battle in Smash?
could be i imagine the usual timing arguments would go against it mind you

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Rex and Pyra in my opinion are in a very good position right now even though they are likely not in the base roster. They can't be deconfirmed as Assist Trophies because they are too new and since most popular first party characters are either going to get confirmed as assist or become playable this leads them at a high chance as DLC. Even more so as their game is the most successful Monolithsoft game and they have popularity.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I'm not really worried, and apparently neither are the rest of supporters, he's basically top priority DLC after all. Just a matter of time until we get him.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
What do you all think of this moveset idea: besides switching between Pyra and Mythra, give Rex the ability to break/topple/launch/smash enemies through a single special move. I know it sounds OP but the way you'd pull them off would be like this [let's say it's his neutral B]

>He does a move that breaks the enemy and the break icon appears for 20 or 30 seconds near the portrait (taking slightly more damage than usual)
>Next time he does neutral B he topples the enemy [with anchor shot or something as a throwback], which would be the equivalent to a regular trip. Same as before the icon of topple appears near the portrait, doesn't matter if the enemy is no longer in the floor.
>Next neutral B he would make the enemies launch, leaving them spinning in the air for a few seconds
>If timed right by pressing B again he can then smash them into the floor for a lot of damage

That way they could both make him even more unique than he already can be and represent the mechanics of Xenoblade as a whole and 2 specifically.

And he better have Master Driver outfiit, he's so badass with it

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I'm fully confident that Rex will appear in Smash in some capacity, even if it's in the form of DLC post-launch. Add me to the support list, please!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What do you all think of this moveset idea: besides switching between Pyra and Mythra, give Rex the ability to break/topple/launch/smash enemies through a single special move. I know it sounds OP but the way you'd pull them off would be like this [let's say it's his neutral B]

>He does a move that breaks the enemy and the break icon appears for 20 or 30 seconds near the portrait (taking slightly more damage than usual)
>Next time he does neutral B he topples the enemy [with anchor shot or something as a throwback], which would be the equivalent to a regular trip. Same as before the icon of topple appears near the portrait, doesn't matter if the enemy is no longer in the floor.
>Next neutral B he would make the enemies launch, leaving them spinning in the air for a few seconds
>If timed right by pressing B again he can then smash them into the floor for a lot of damage

That way they could both make him even more unique than he already can be and represent the mechanics of Xenoblade as a whole and 2 specifically.

And he better have Master Driver outfiit, he's so badass with it
You don't need to do anything special to represent driver combos in Smash. Break could mean shield damage, Topple is tripping, any move that pops up is Launch, and any meteor is Smash. A set of normals could easily cover all this.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm starting this month's support count. And with that, updated Rex's Supporter's List, though I'm only updating it myself because Altais Altais seems to be MIA?
  1. Altais
  2. Aussie the Naturist
  3. Final Smash Gamer
  4. fogbadge
  5. Xeno610
  6. Yoshi-Thomas
  7. Guybrush20X6
  8. Jason the Yoshi
  9. PsychoJosh
  10. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  11. Bebe Mignon
  12. Freduardo
  13. APC99
  14. SmashChu
  15. TempahRelapse
  16. Diddy Kong
  17. Armagon
  18. WhiteEaglePL
  19. RivalAmadeus
  20. fufubear
  21. Mr. Nintendo
  22. Blackwolf666
  23. TheskuxxedOne
  24. SniperMaxter
  25. Nonno Umby
  26. Vyrnx
  27. Spazzy_D
  28. QrowinSP
  29. ItsMeBrandon
  30. GolisoPower
  31. SS2000
  32. FutureSky
  33. TCT~Phantom
  34. HypnoMaster372
  35. Spud125
  36. Bowserlick
  37. Xeno VII
  38. Mythra
  39. Pacack
  40. Strider_Bond00J
  41. Tino
  42. KeybladeSmasher
  43. hAKLE
  44. Kotor
  45. BlazGreen
  46. Phantom Joker
  47. KiraYoshikage
  48. shrooby
  49. Deathcarter
  50. ES. Dinah
  51. Rie Sonomura
  52. True Blue Warrior
  53. Solfiner
  54. ryuu seika
  55. Accursed
  56. Oblivion129
  57. Morbi
  58. Zeallyx
  59. PSIGuy
  60. RawstyleEevee
  61. dezeray112
  62. MetroLSD
  63. Ultrawing
  64. Starcutter
  65. Animegamingnerd
  66. Bosspon
  67. pupNapoleon
  68. Mechonis
  69. Smash Daddy
  70. Senselessbreak
  71. merchantofsalt
  72. egaddmario
  73. King9999
  74. Staarih
  75. Stalag Yakuishi
  76. sman3579
  77. DraginHikari
  78. Ultrawing
  79. Megadoomer
  80. Pikablu Pikachu
  81. ImaClubYou
  82. DustyPumpkin
  83. Coofle DeDoofle
  84. Superyoshiom
  85. Agecaf
  86. FlareHabanero
  87. FamicomDisk
  88. Pizza Robo
  89. RawstyleEevee
  90. mario123007
  91. xHackAttackx
  92. Sorrow of Acheron
  93. SEGAGameBoy
  94. UGXWolf
  95. Opelucid
  96. 3D Dillon
  97. Banjodorf
  98. Idon
  99. Bootortle
  100. RandomAce
  101. Camc10
  102. CatRacoonBL
  103. dangeraaron10
  104. jahkzheng
  105. sktylez
  106. Scoliosis Jones
  107. takasmash
  108. Homelessvagrant
  109. MattX20
  110. KiyoXDragon
  111. Starbound
  112. ZoroCarlos
  113. P.Kat
  114. Gold Aether
  115. meleebrawler
  116. Cool Guy 36
  117. warelander
  118. SuperSceptile15
  119. MunoMario777
  120. takai
  121. Antimatter042
  122. ThreeT

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm starting this month's support count. And with that, updated Rex's Supporter's List, though I'm only updating it myself because Altais Altais seems to be MIA?
  1. Altais
  2. Aussie the Naturist
  3. Final Smash Gamer
  4. fogbadge
  5. Xeno610
  6. Yoshi-Thomas
  7. Guybrush20X6
  8. Jason the Yoshi
  9. PsychoJosh
  10. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  11. Bebe Mignon
  12. Freduardo
  13. APC99
  14. SmashChu
  15. TempahRelapse
  16. Diddy Kong
  17. Armagon
  18. WhiteEaglePL
  19. RivalAmadeus
  20. fufubear
  21. Mr. Nintendo
  22. Blackwolf666
  23. TheskuxxedOne
  24. SniperMaxter
  25. Nonno Umby
  26. Vyrnx
  27. Spazzy_D
  28. QrowinSP
  29. ItsMeBrandon
  30. GolisoPower
  31. SS2000
  32. FutureSky
  33. TCT~Phantom
  34. HypnoMaster372
  35. Spud125
  36. Bowserlick
  37. Xeno VII
  38. Mythra
  39. Pacack
  40. Strider_Bond00J
  41. Tino
  42. KeybladeSmasher
  43. hAKLE
  44. Kotor
  45. BlazGreen
  46. Phantom Joker
  47. KiraYoshikage
  48. shrooby
  49. Deathcarter
  50. ES. Dinah
  51. Rie Sonomura
  52. True Blue Warrior
  53. Solfiner
  54. ryuu seika
  55. Accursed
  56. Oblivion129
  57. Morbi
  58. Zeallyx
  59. PSIGuy
  60. RawstyleEevee
  61. dezeray112
  62. MetroLSD
  63. Ultrawing
  64. Starcutter
  65. Animegamingnerd
  66. Bosspon
  67. pupNapoleon
  68. Mechonis
  69. Smash Daddy
  70. Senselessbreak
  71. merchantofsalt
  72. egaddmario
  73. King9999
  74. Staarih
  75. Stalag Yakuishi
  76. sman3579
  77. DraginHikari
  78. Ultrawing
  79. Megadoomer
  80. Pikablu Pikachu
  81. ImaClubYou
  82. DustyPumpkin
  83. Coofle DeDoofle
  84. Superyoshiom
  85. Agecaf
  86. FlareHabanero
  87. FamicomDisk
  88. Pizza Robo
  89. RawstyleEevee
  90. mario123007
  91. xHackAttackx
  92. Sorrow of Acheron
  93. SEGAGameBoy
  94. UGXWolf
  95. Opelucid
  96. 3D Dillon
  97. Banjodorf
  98. Idon
  99. Bootortle
  100. RandomAce
  101. Camc10
  102. CatRacoonBL
  103. dangeraaron10
  104. jahkzheng
  105. sktylez
  106. Scoliosis Jones
  107. takasmash
  108. Homelessvagrant
  109. MattX20
  110. KiyoXDragon
  111. Starbound
  112. ZoroCarlos
  113. P.Kat
  114. Gold Aether
  115. meleebrawler
  116. Cool Guy 36
  117. warelander
  118. SuperSceptile15
  119. MunoMario777
  120. takai
  121. Antimatter042
  122. ThreeT
we're looking pretty good

KMDP

Smash Legend
we're looking pretty good
As it stands now, due to K. Rool leaving the running, Rex is 6th place, though if you take out Ashley and Toad, both of whom were disconfirmed the other day, he's actually 4th Place.

I've only just started though, so things can change.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As it stands now, due to K. Rool leaving the running, Rex is 6th place, though if you take out Ashley and Toad, both of whom were disconfirmed the other day, he's actually 4th Place.

I've only just started though, so things can change.
well its not bad for the moment

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
The Xenoblade 2 story expansion is coming out next month right (September 14th)? I feel that would be a pretty appropriate time to announced Rex/Pyra, especially since that's a month away still. One can hope at least.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The Xenoblade 2 story expansion is coming out next month right (September 14th)? I feel that would be a pretty appropriate time to announced Rex/Pyra, especially since that's a month away still. One can hope at least.
Well, people said that about Wario Ware Gold and Ashley.

Unless there's going to be some kind of Ashley related fake-out. XD

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Ashley never had a good chance.

You don't need to do anything special to represent driver combos in Smash. Break could mean shield damage, Topple is tripping, any move that pops up is Launch, and any meteor is Smash. A set of normals could easily cover all this.
What? that's lame and nothing alike of what I said.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Been busy with summer classes. That said, haven't had much time for anything recently. But now that I've passed with flying colours, I have a small window of leisure time before fall classes begin.

Anyhow, assuming Rex or Elma have been added, then I think September is the best time to reveal them, since that is when Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country is coming out. Also, I'm still hoping we'll get a Xenoblade X port, along with a sequel. That said, I could see us getting a Xenoblade-focused Direct, followed by the reveal of a Xenoblade character. But one can only dream.

Echo Fighters aside, I'm already surprised at the amount of newcomers we've recieved--and Sakurai said there are more on the way. So until we know for sure there are no more newcomers to be revealed, I'm keeping mine hopes for Rex and Elma.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, after looking at a few moveset concepts for Rex and Pyra/Mythra across the web, that got me thinking for a moment: do we tend to overthink on what the moveset could be? I mean, think about it: before Inkling’s moveset was revealed we thought her playstyle was going to reflect Splatoon to a T in the sense that covering the stage in Ink would be the primary factor. Come E3 and we see that her Ink mechanic works differently: the primary factor is covering other players in Ink. Not what we were thinking, but it’s still simple and seemed easy to program. Another example for the last game is Shulk: he had two different sets of Arts, one for Battle Arts and one for Monado Arts, and a mechanic that we had no idea how to implement besides a counter with the Visions. Come his reveal trailer and Monado Arts were revealed to be his Neutral-B, as well as Back Slash and Air Slash being Specials in addition to Slit Edge being a Side Smash.

Taking these into account, if we’re going to make more movesets for Rex and Pyra, I’d feel like their big mechanic should be one that not only is simple and easy to implement, but at the same time represents a very big aspect of Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I was just thinking that Rex and Mythra could be an echo of Rex and Pyra? Would that be doable?

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'd love to see Rex get in.

Really, I'd love for anyone from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to make it in, but Rex probably has the best chance out of anyone from the game (even if he ends up being DLC).

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Been busy with summer classes. That said, haven't had much time for anything recently. But now that I've passed with flying colours, I have a small window of leisure time before fall classes begin.

Anyhow, assuming Rex or Elma have been added, then I think September is the best time to reveal them, since that is when Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country is coming out. Also, I'm still hoping we'll get a Xenoblade X port, along with a sequel. That said, I could see us getting a Xenoblade-focused Direct, followed by the reveal of a Xenoblade character. But one can only dream.

Echo Fighters aside, I'm already surprised at the amount of newcomers we've recieved--and Sakurai said there are more on the way. So until we know for sure there are no more newcomers to be revealed, I'm keeping mine hopes for Rex and Elma.
I heard Gamescom might also be a good time to reveal something, but I don't know if there's any relation to Xenoblade there.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I was just thinking that Rex and Mythra could be an echo of Rex and Pyra? Would that be doable?
Honestly, Rex needs to use both.

Having an echo be the same character but with a similar Blade like Mythra would be controversial.

At best it would need to be Adam with Mythra if Rex can't use her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, after looking at a few moveset concepts for Rex and Pyra/Mythra across the web, that got me thinking for a moment: do we tend to overthink on what the moveset could be? I mean, think about it: before Inkling’s moveset was revealed we thought her playstyle was going to reflect Splatoon to a T in the sense that covering the stage in Ink would be the primary factor. Come E3 and we see that her Ink mechanic works differently: the primary factor is covering other players in Ink. Not what we were thinking, but it’s still simple and seemed easy to program. Another example for the last game is Shulk: he had two different sets of Arts, one for Battle Arts and one for Monado Arts, and a mechanic that we had no idea how to implement besides a counter with the Visions. Come his reveal trailer and Monado Arts were revealed to be his Neutral-B, as well as Back Slash and Air Slash being Specials in addition to Slit Edge being a Side Smash.

Taking these into account, if we’re going to make more movesets for Rex and Pyra, I’d feel like their big mechanic should be one that not only is simple and easy to implement, but at the same time represents a very big aspect of Xenoblade 2.
I mean, Rex has a far smaller list of moves to incorporate (four driver arts max). There are, however, a lot of mechanics at play in Xenoblade 2. But as for ones that don't require extensive teamwork to pull off, we have blade affinity & specials. The former is very passive in how it's built up (simply staying in proximity to your blade) and what it does (passive buffs), and the latter can work like any chargeable Smash move for the sake of simplicity, or be something like Little Mac or Cloud where they're built up via attacks. Finally, there's Pyra & Mythra's unique trait of switching freely between each other with a simple button press, which doesn't change Rex's moves, only the blade specials and benefits provided by affinity.

It is the interaction between driver & blade that lies at the heart of everything in Alrest, after all.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I heard Gamescom might also be a good time to reveal something, but I don't know if there's any relation to Xenoblade there.
More Torna the Golden Country footage is being shown, but I don't think that's enough for an announcement.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
On the topic of Mythra being an Echo fighter for Rex & Pyra I am against it. Having Mythra in any of Rex's moves would be a giant spoiler to those that didn't get up to a certain chapter. I prefer having a base Rex and Pyra with the burning sword final smash. Now a good echo fighter for Rex would be Nia and Dromarch.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A spoiler for Chapter 3 isn't that bad, really. If you haven't played long enough to see Mythra then you're still in the part of the game where they're locking off all the fun mechanics.

If you had Rex and Pyra as an Icies style character then Mythra as an Echo basically writes itself. Their core is cancelling arts into each other while building Blade Specials, Pyra gets multi-hit fire properies that deal more damage but have worse knockback while Mythra gets single-hit properties that make for great finishers. That's about in line with what other characters have.

And having to pick one or the other is accurate to the game, too. But you won't know it unless you've already played it yourself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont think its a spoiler to have mythra in the game as they revealed her before the game was out

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
On the topic of Mythra being an Echo fighter for Rex & Pyra I am against it. Having Mythra in any of Rex's moves would be a giant spoiler to those that didn't get up to a certain chapter. I prefer having a base Rex and Pyra with the burning sword final smash. Now a good echo fighter for Rex would be Nia and Dromarch.
Mythra was shown off at the Xenoblade direct back in November 2017. She's fair game.
Why is this fandom so obsessed with keeping everything a secret? 8 years and they still refuse to acknowledge Mecha Fiora's existence.
And Nia wouldn't work as an Echo of Rex. Most glaring thing is the weapon. Nia uses dual rings. Rex uses a giant sword. That's like suggesting Squall from Final Fantasy VIII would make a good Echo of Cloud. Their swords are completely different in design and function.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Add me to the support list.
For the base roster, im totally sure Elma will be the Xeno rep, but for DLC, Rex&Pyra with no doubt

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
imo it'd be pretty weird to have rex-pyra and rex-mythra both as separate slots. maybe you could choose between them on the CSS similarly to the pokemon trainer? imo it might be more interesting to just let you swap mid-battle though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
imo it'd be pretty weird to have rex-pyra and rex-mythra both as separate slots. maybe you could choose between them on the CSS similarly to the pokemon trainer? imo it might be more interesting to just let you swap mid-battle though.
Well if they work anything like they do in their own game, you'll likely almost always want to start the fight with Mythra for that sweet, sweet DPS.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Mythra was shown off at the Xenoblade direct back in November 2017. She's fair game.
Why is this fandom so obsessed with keeping everything a secret? 8 years and they still refuse to acknowledge Mecha Fiora's existence.
And Nia wouldn't work as an Echo of Rex. Most glaring thing is the weapon. Nia uses dual rings. Rex uses a giant sword. That's like suggesting Squall from Final Fantasy VIII would make a good Echo of Cloud. Their swords are completely different in design and function.
Valid points, but I'm still against Mythra. I'd rather keep her secret or even add her in the final smash, (My ideal final smash is burning sword through) thus making people new to Xenoblade 2 try the game to find out more about her.

Top Bottom