• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
He says some characters couldn't make it into the base game's project plan not the DLC.
Holy ****, I went back and listened and you're right. He also said the Rex Mii costume is just a purchase bonus. I thought it was a part of the Pass itself.

I'm actually hyped again. Sakurai being sympathetic to XB2 fans, giving us a highly detailed Rex costume; all points lead to Rex being a DLC character.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now that I think about it, using a Mii Costume to practice some animations for a character is an amazing idea. It can be a sort of storage space for if they release Rex and Pyra/Mythra as DLC. The textures are there, the effects are there, some of the animations make the Mii look like Rex is using the weapon and not a Mii, it's kind of like Sakurai is using a developmental pit stop for Rex.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Holy ****, I went back and listened and you're right. He also said the Rex Mii costume is just a purchase bonus. I thought it was a part of the Pass itself.

I'm actually hyped again. Sakurai being sympathetic to XB2 fans, giving us a highly detailed Rex costume; all points lead to Rex being a DLC character.
Now that I think about it, using a Mii Costume to practice some animations for a character is an amazing idea. It can be a sort of storage space for if they release Rex and Pyra/Mythra as DLC. The textures are there, the effects are there, some of the animations make the Mii look like Rex is using the weapon and not a Mii, it's kind of like Sakurai is using a developmental pit stop for Rex.

That's the spirit. As soon as we give up Sakurai won't even consider him in the next game. But he really does look like he wanted him, I truly believe so.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
June 2018: Rex & Pyra my most wanted
November 2018: Rex & Pyra my most wanted

Have not been deterred. I hope Rex is the 1st DLC pack.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
For whatever is worth, I saw at least one of the resetera insiders (Imran) saying that the DLC roster was definitely not planned by 2016 and that the comment about Rex was about base roster; which is what I had initially thought of and I ain't gonna be doubting the insiders again lol.

I don't know, he basically showed the Mii costume after saying he couldn't say exactly what characters were going to be in the dlc pack. That seemed more like an overt hint than a straight up disconfirmation, but hopefully some Famitsu interview or something clarifies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Nah, I'm putting all my mental energy into thinking Rex is inevitable DLC.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I still think it's odd for Sakurai to make a Rex mii costume as an apology if he was gonna be in the first wave of DLC anyway. I hate to say, but I don't like his chances very much.

On the bright side, if we get a second DLC wave then Rex will almost certainly be in it.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
For whatever is worth, I saw at least one of the resetera insiders (Imran) saying that the DLC roster was definitely not planned by 2016 and that the comment about Rex was about base roster; which is what I had initially thought of and I ain't gonna be doubting the insiders again lol.

I don't know, he basically showed the Mii costume after saying he couldn't say exactly what characters were going to be in the dlc pack. That seemed more like an overt hint than a straight up disconfirmation, but hopefully some Famitsu interview or something clarifies.
That's weird to have that attitude that DLC was decided at the same time as base. Nothing in Sakurai's wording suggests Rex is off limits to DLC yet people are interpreting it as such. I could see getting the rights of certain characters being done this year.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I still have hope, but not much hope. I won't get my expectations high but he still has a possibility in my book. At least he isn't an assist.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
View attachment 174779

Did someone say tinfoil hat time
THIS.

Sakurai said they decided on the DLC characters during planning and that games revealed after planning wouldn't be able to make it in. Rex is definitely a consolation prize; the 5 DLC characters are already locked in. I assume this is due to licensing etc and a high quantity of third parties.

A really bizarre turn for Rex's chances honestly.
No. The DLC has NOT been decided yet.

Last edited:

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice

I love Rex and XC2 but you are in denial

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Well a Mii costume is still not a hard deconfirmation unlike an AT, so I feel we could still be in the running for DLC (Mewtwo was a trophy for example in the 3DS version)
Absolutely agree with this - I think the time it was given, and the fact that it's a bonus for the fighter pass, is a little strange, but I don't think it outright de-confirms him like poor Spring Man. Neither do I think the presence of Xenoblade 2 stickers means Rex or Pyra couldn't get in.

They better have something in store for DLC because the track list they showed in the direct is pathetic. Only 3 songs from XC2, and no Drifting Soul or Mor Ardain?!
I was genuinely over the moon when XC2 music was announced, but I was baffled by the lack of music. I hope that this means that Sakurai is saving a music pack for Rex & Pyra being DLC characters.

If they were planning the DLC mid-development, Sakurai having played 2 during that time is a very good sign. I hope you're right.
Did they say that the DLC was being planned mid development? I thought he said that the DLC wouldn't start development until after the release of the game, but that Piranha Plant was being developed as a freebie in the meantime. Either way, it's a good sign because Sakurai clearly loves XC2 - the fact that he dedicated time to show XC2 content specifically (even if it wasn't exactly what we wanted) shows he cares about it. If development starts after the game, that would boost Rex and Pyra's chances.

That being said, my hopes for Rex aren't as great anymore. I'm starting to think that Pyra may be a solo character. And to be honest, I'm fine with that. I love the chemistry between Rex and Pyra, but as a character, I rank Pyra, Mythra and Pneuma above Rex.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
He never mentioned when did plans for DLC started, only that there's 5 characters and development will start after the main game's release. I posted a quote from july of Bill trinen saying sakurai hasn't thought about DLC yet, even if he already decided who will be DLC, XC2 came a year ago (plenty of time either way). I guess that's where people misunderstood his words.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I love Rex and XC2 but you are in denial
Oof, saving this post for later when Rex is announced.

Did they say that the DLC was being planned mid development? I thought he said that the DLC wouldn't start development until after the release of the game, but that Piranha Plant was being developed as a freebie in the meantime. Either way, it's a good sign because Sakurai clearly loves XC2 - the fact that he dedicated time to show XC2 content specifically (even if it wasn't exactly what we wanted) shows he cares about it. If development starts after the game, that would boost Rex and Pyra's chances.
Yes, Sakurai said that DLC will start after the game is released. But we don't entirely know how long Sakurai and the team have been laying the groundwork for DLC. Judging by Rex's Mii costume, it looks to me like his character model is already halfway done. Rex could very well be the first DLC character released.

D

Deleted member

Oof, saving this post for later when Rex is announced.

Yes, Sakurai said that DLC will start after the game is released. But we don't entirely know how long Sakurai and the team have been laying the groundwork for DLC. Judging by Rex's Mii costume, it looks to me like his character model is already halfway done. Rex could very well be the first DLC character released.
December 6th, Game Awards 2018. Rex or Elma announced in a mewtwo-style reveal for late February/early March 2019. Calling it now

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The Mii costumes can be taken one of two ways really, as has been evidenced by the range of sentiments here.

First.. you can see the level of detail in the costume and read Sakurai's apology as evidence that he wants to do more. The level of detail is high which implies he's closer to having done the work necessary for a full character if he wanted and his words may imply that he really would like to do more eventually but couldn't under time constraints so this is our consolation prize for now.

Or, on the other hand, you could see the level of detail in the costumes and read Sakurai's apology as evidence that this his attempt at satisfying us in lieu of a full character. Even that interpretation doesn't leave to door closed for potential DLC further down the road, but it certainly closes it as a short term commitment. Arguably, that level of detail is an attempt at trying to make this costume really nice for us because "that's it guys". And maybe his wording implies that not only was this all he could manage short notice, but all he'd do for us long term... at least planned as of now.

Course, I want him as a full character so naturally I hope the more optimistic outlook is the one that holds up. But the other more logical side of my brain is tempering expectations. And yet, even that side isn't saying "wont happen". It's saying, "this could go either way, 50/50".

One thing I want to add about spirits is that so far all the spirits related to confirmed characters have names that aren't the name used on the character select screen. For instance, the WFT spirit is "Tree" which is actually the name of the pose, not the character. Whereas Pyra is named "Pyra", Zeke is "Zeke", Tora is "Tora", and I assume Rex is "Rex" though I haven't seen his name written... could be "Salvager Rex". They're their official images from XC2 and I don't know how they'd function as spirits if any or one of them got confirmed as a character or if they'd bother renaming them. Although... the renaming/spirit status thing may be easily worked around if on the character select screen the name is "Rex and Aegis", or something like that. And yet, it would still feel weird. Until I see a spirit of just "Luma" or a spirit of "Duck Hunt Dog" without the duck just laughing or something, then this'll feel like a weird assumption. It's one of those things that feels like it could be a soft deconfirm or a confirm of something else... but could mean nothing. Perhaps it confirms Nia is the playable character in Smash, lol. Yeah, I know, super unlikely before Rex especially, but I'd absolutely accept that... but would kinda feel wrong though without Rex/Aegis.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've never spoken here cause I was more adamant about these guy's getting in as DLC, but I almost see the Mii Costume as a K. Rool situation. It's enough detailed to be suspect; basically.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I just don't see why he feels the need to apologize for a character that's going to make it in anyways.

Machete

Smash Ace
Why would Sakurai apologize for a highly requested character that would’ve been in the base game not being in the base game?

Why would Sakurai keep Chrom in Robin’s FS if Chrom was going to be playable?

Why would Sakurai include a Mewtwo trophy in the Wii U version of Smash 4 if Mewtwo was planned as dlc?

Sakurai does strange things all the time. It might be that he decided what he was going to start working on now three years ago and he can’t shuffle it around. Or it might be that Rex will be dlc and since he has a 3d model more or less ready to go he’s offering a Mii costume with its assets to keep his fans happy until Rex is released.

Appearances in smaller, non playable roles aren’t a disconfirmation when we had the Mewtwo trophy in 4 and a trophy is more work than a Spirit. We have Chrom as a Final Smash and as a playable character. And we’ve had plenty of Mii costumes based on playable characters.

Thing is, we don’t know either way, but Sakurai very specifically pointed him out as a character that would’ve been in the base roster had his game come out earlier. How that isn’t seen as a major positive, rather than a negative, I am not sure.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman

This was shown in the Nintendo Live stream.
Chrom still has his Mii Costume in Ultimate.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Another reason why I feel Rex could be delayed, is that its also a character that needs a bit of extra development time, because if Sakurai wants to stay true to XB2's sources Pyra also has to be included. PT for example is a character that took Sakurai alot of effort to create/recreate

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Well, it's not a new fighter but

Nia is also getting a costume. It's for the Mii Brawler, apparently. This is from a Nintendo Live stream in Japan.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Nia is also getting a costume. It's for the Mii Brawler, apparently. This is from a Nintendo Live stream in Japan.
Thanks for keeping an eye out. Heard that a live stream was happening but didn't have the time, or patience admittedly, to watch tonight. And I imagine this just flew by during the stream, so maybe could've been easy to miss. Although, this does seem like moderately big news, they might've actually talked about it. In any case, nice find and thanks for sharing. This is certainly more evidence of XC2 love. And although I'm not about to say Nia's chances are higher now, I'm grateful she got more than a spirit's worth of recognition. The costume looks good. It's more than my pessimistic side expected, but I hoped Nia would, and believed she could, get some kind of recognition beyond "trophy" before last direct, or "spirit" since last direct.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

Also I assume this is in the base game right? Then I find the Mii costume for Rex even more weird

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I do wonder... what it means for us if Rex is suddenly revealed to have a spirit battle too. I gotta assume he does and it looks a lot like this. If he becomes full playable, would they keep a dedicated spirit battle for him? Especially if it's anything like Nia's? Maybe I'm overthinking it and it wouldn't even be a big deal. Playable Rex doesn't need a Swordfighter Rex to be removed from spirits at all. They can exist together. It does feel odd though.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Also I assume this is in the base game right? Then I find the Mii costume for Rex even more weird
Saw the livestream, Sakurai was playing and explaining the game so yes. You might be into something, why hold back the main character as a dlc bonus purchase and then have one (or more) party members as costumes? It doesn't make sense

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So here's something interesting to think about. Vergeben now thinks Hitagi could be right about Steve and Katalina getting in even though Verge himself hasn't heard confirmation of this from his own sources, and he thinks Hitagi is a credible leaker given his track record. The only problem with this being true is that Cygames's partnership with Nintendo was only announced in April of this year. It's most likely that Sakurai obtained the rights to Katalina after or shortly before the partnership was announced and not a whole 2 years prior, which would mean that the DLC was not planned at the same time the base roster was. That would only mean good things for Rex, as the Mii Costume could just be a prototype of the real deal. In turn the apology would just be for him not being able to make the base roster, which we know he would've had XC2 released in time.

I don't think he'll make it in but there's definitely still some hope left.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
The only thing that will hurt Rex the most imo, is that if all DLC will be 3rd parties. Thats the only valid reason I can think off, if the DLC roster is already planned, because Sakurai most likely had to contact all companies somewhere in 2018 to get their rights.

Machete

Smash Ace
So here's something interesting to think about. Vergeben now thinks Hitagi could be right about Steve and Katalina getting in even though Verge himself hasn't heard confirmation of this from his own sources, and he thinks Hitagi is a credible leaker given his track record. The only problem with this being true is that Cygames's partnership with Nintendo was only announced in April of this year. It's most likely that Sakurai obtained the rights to Katalina after or shortly before the partnership was announced and not a whole 2 years prior, which would mean that the DLC was not planned at the same time the base roster was. That would only mean good things for Rex, as the Mii Costume could just be a prototype of the real deal. In turn the apology would just be for him not being able to make the base roster, which we know he would've had XC2 released in time.

I don't think he'll make it in but there's definitely still some hope left.
Imran (one of the resetera insiders who was vehemently against the Grinch) said the DLC roster was definitely not planned by 2016, and has said many times the comment about Rex missing the roster was specifically about base roster.

I fully believe the Mii costume was made with assets from Rex's eventual model. Maybe it's just because I desperately want a future that has Rex, Pyra and Mythra (hell the reason I want Rex so badly is because I want Mythra) in Smash far more than I want one dominated with weird ass random third parties, but still.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Imran (one of the resetera insiders who was vehemently against the Grinch) said the DLC roster was definitely not planned by 2016, and has said many times the comment about Rex missing the roster was specifically about base roster.

I fully believe the Mii costume was made with assets from Rex's eventual model. Maybe it's just because I desperately want a future that has Rex, Pyra and Mythra (hell the reason I want Rex so badly is because I want Mythra) in Smash far more than I want one dominated with weird *** random third parties, but still.
Could I get a link of him saying that, please?

Machete

Smash Ace

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
They better have something in store for DLC because the track list they showed in the direct is pathetic. Only 3 songs from XC2, and no Drifting Soul or Mor Ardain?!
The way i see it is that the tracklist they showed are just the ones you start out with. They already confirmed you'd be buying more songs through the Shop so it makes absolute sense that there's more Xenoblade songs to unlock.

Here's some more tinfoil hat times, something i saw over at SerenesForest

It's a Mii Swordfighter outfit based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started. I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex. We're also including music from the Xenoblade Chronicles series,. . .Other Xenoblade Chronicles characters will also appear as Spirits.
Rex's outfit is specifically being offered as a bonus for buying the Fighter Pass, but why would they include him instead of any other Mii outfit? We don't know if the outfit was made for the Fighter Pass specifically or if it was made alongside the base game's Mii outfits. It's possible that it was created for the base game, and was made an addition to the Fighter Pass when Sakurai decided to make DLC. If it was made independently of the Fighter Pass, it would answer the question "Why would they bother making a Rex outfit if they were already planning on making him playable?" if it wasn't made with DLC in mind.
We don't know how exactly "we decided which fighters to include when we started planning" applies to Rex. Obviously he was too late for the base game, but was he too late for DLC planning too? That doesn't make sense unless the DLC characters were decided on alongside the base roster, which doesn't make much sense either because Sakurai doesn't think about DLC until the main game is done. We don't even know if the five DLC characters have been decided on yet. If the statement only applies to the base game, then it has nothing to do with Rex's DLC chances.
There's the idea that Rex has a Mii outfit because Sakurai isn't making him playable, but why wouldn't he? His game did well critically and commercially, he's a popular request, Sakurai likes his game, and he has the potential for a unique moveset. So why wouldn't Sakurai want to include him?
There's also the matter of why Sakurai took the time to make this statement to begin with. The majority of other deconfirmed characters are lucky to get a passing mention, much less a segment of a Direct dedicated to them. All of the Xenoblade content mentioned here is from 2 specifically, so this whole statement reads as Sakurai apologizing for being unable to include more Xenoblade 2 content in the base game. Rex is one of the most popular requests in Japan and Sakurai is a fan of XC2, so it makes sense why Sakurai went out of way to explain the absence of content for this game in particular. It makes me think that Rex would have been in the base game if timing was more convenient.
So basically, Rex's chances depend on the answers to these questions:
  • Was Rex's Mii outfit made specifically for the Fighter Pass?
  • Has Sakurai decided on the five DLC characters yet?
If the answer to these questions is no, then the Mii outfit should have no bearing on Rex's chances. If anything, this Sakurai bias rare acknowledgement should make Rex more likely as DLC, not less.
And now, we know that there is a Nia Mii Costume already in the game, as well as Nia and Morag Spirits. Meaning that regardless of whether or not you buy the Fighter Pass, you're getting XC2 content regardless (i think the wording was off and the XC2 Spirits and Music are part of the base game; they don't come with the Rex costume). So we've potentially anwser the first question: "Was Rex's Mii outfit made specifically for the Fighter Pass?" Answer: No.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why Sakurai did this. He could have very easily added Rex to the game without making him a requirement for the DLC? I bet Rex and Nia isn't the only one with a costume either.

Now here me out. I don't believe in my theory at all, but what if Sakurai wants Xenoblade 2 fans to buy the DLC by making Rex a Mii Costume and then reveal Rex at a later point. It's extremely unlikely, but something nonetheless.

Machete

Smash Ace
I wonder why Sakurai did this. He could have very easily added Rex to the game without making him a requirement for the DLC? I bet Rex and Nia isn't the only one with a costume either.

Now here me out. I don't believe in my theory at all, but what if Sakurai wants Xenoblade 2 fans to buy the DLC by making Rex a Mii Costume and then reveal Rex at a later point. It's extremely unlikely, but something nonetheless.
My personal theory would be that since DLCs generally have a different budget from the base game, the Mii costume is based on a Rex model that is being developed with said budget, and so they wanted to keep it as DLC as well.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The only thing that will hurt Rex the most imo, is that if all DLC will be 3rd parties. Thats the only valid reason I can think off, if the DLC roster is already planned, because Sakurai most likely had to contact all companies somewhere in 2018 to get their rights.
I think it's unfortunately very likely we see almost all DLC being for third parties. The price point for the new packs is even identical to Bayonetta/Cloud/Ryu's Smash 4 DLC consisting of a character, music and a stage. Piranha Plant might be the only Nintendo newcomer. I'd much rather see additions to existing franchises that could use fleshing out or even unrepresented franchises but those aren't going to sell as well.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I think it's unfortunately very likely we see almost all DLC being for third parties. The price point for the new packs is even identical to Bayonetta/Cloud/Ryu's Smash 4 DLC consisting of a character, music and a stage. Piranha Plant might be the only Nintendo newcomer. I'd much rather see additions to existing franchises that could use fleshing out or even unrepresented franchises but those aren't going to sell as well.
I think you're underestimating the power of Smash. The thing with fighter DLC in Smash is that most people are going to buy them regardless of who's in it. They're gonna want the full roster, especially if they plan on getting into competitive.

As for the whole lineup being 3rd parties, i'm not too sure. Let's take a look at some of the big ones

-Banjo and Kazooie are on everyone's mind. Even Microsoft's CEO said he wouldn't mind. The issue i see with Banjo is this: he's owned by Microsoft. Smash is one big crossover but it's also one big ad. The one thing that all 3rd parties in Smash have in common is that they aren't owned by Sony or Microsoft. Cloud's major appearances have only been on Sony consoles, sure, but he's not owned by Sony (and FF7 is coming to Switch anyway so that point's moot). Banjo does have a chance but i don't know if Nintendo wants to directly promote one of their competitiors.

-Sora. Ever since Vergeben said a Square rep would come as DLC, people's minds have been on Geno, Noctis and Sora. But Sora actually has the least chance because while Square does develop his games, Sora and the rest of Kingdom Hearts (barring the actual FF characters) are actually owned by Disney and that's a whole other legal mountain to cross. Sure, they could just put in the FF-half of Sora but even as someone who doesn't like Sora or KH, i wouldn't want him to be represented in such a half-baked way.

-Geno is Geno. He could make it in but maybe not. 50/50.

Noctis, being the latest FF protag, does have a chance except FF in Smash is treated as "FF7" right down to the catagory. We'll have to see where it goes.

Am i missing anyone?

zferolie

Smash Hero
With the new information out, like Nia as a Mii costume, and Chrom still having his mii costume(I am assuming Geno may still as well), I think what sakurai was saying was he couldn't get him into base game, but made a very special Mii costume(seriously look at the detail of gramps and the sword), and put it in the fighters pass so he could address it. It feels like he wishes the game came out sooner so he could make rex and Pyra in the game at base.

I can't see if he has a high chance at DLC, but he still has one. A decent one.

Right now the only DLC character I would bet money on is a SE character. The Minecraft content could just be a mii costume, or a spirit, or something. And Katalina may have a good chance as well. But if those rumors of Katalina are true, they are still finalizing the DLC slots. Here are my wishlist

SE Rep(Betting on Geno or Slime, slime seems more likely)
Shantae(Her creator is pushing the community to show their support again for her as DLC in this game, so he is trying to get her in)
Katalina(That rumor sounds beleivable, and Nintendo and Cygames are close, plus Nintendo owns some of their stock and works with them and Granblue is Cygames biggest franchise and MASSIVELY popular in japan.
Rex and Pyra(Sakurai i feel really wants them in, just use the mii costume to show he does care for them and not ignoring this very popular game, plus he loves the series)
A Retro 1st Party character(Didn't get one this time, and I feel Sakurai may make one as DLC as he enjoys that.

And I am sure we will get at least 1 or 2 more seasons after this.

I think you're underestimating the power of Smash. The thing with fighter DLC in Smash is that most people are going to buy them regardless of who's in it. They're gonna want the full roster, especially if they plan on getting into competitive.

As for the whole lineup being 3rd parties, i'm not too sure. Let's take a look at some of the big ones

-Banjo and Kazooie are on everyone's mind. Even Microsoft's CEO said he wouldn't mind. The issue i see with Banjo is this: he's owned by Microsoft. Smash is one big crossover but it's also one big ad. The one thing that all 3rd parties in Smash have in common is that they aren't owned by Sony or Microsoft. Cloud's major appearances have only been on Sony consoles, sure, but he's not owned by Sony (and FF7 is coming to Switch anyway so that point's moot). Banjo does have a chance but i don't know if Nintendo wants to directly promote one of their competitiors.

-Sora. Ever since Vergeben said a Square rep would come as DLC, people's minds have been on Geno, Noctis and Sora. But Sora actually has the least chance because while Square does develop his games, Sora and the rest of Kingdom Hearts (barring the actual FF characters) are actually owned by Disney and that's a whole other legal mountain to cross. Sure, they could just put in the FF-half of Sora but even as someone who doesn't like Sora or KH, i wouldn't want him to be represented in such a half-baked way.

-Geno is Geno. He could make it in but maybe not. 50/50.

Noctis, being the latest FF protag, does have a chance except FF in Smash is treated as "FF7" right down to the catagory. We'll have to see where it goes.

Am i missing anyone?
You missed a dragon quest character, which is either DQ3 hero, or more likely slime. With Pirahna plant playable, Slime has nothing against him now, and it is the mascot of the series, which is absolutely MASSIVE in japan.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Katalina(That rumor sounds beleivable, and Nintendo and Cygames are close, plus Nintendo owns some of their stock and works with them and Granblue is Cygames biggest franchise and MASSIVELY popular in japan.
I don't know if Katalina makes sense tbh. Isn't Nintendo and Cygames' partnership like a very recent thing? And what came out of that was Dragalia Lost so if anything, it makes more sense to have Not Shulk Euden (Dragalia protag) in Smash as he would represent Nintendo's new mobile side.

Then again, the DLC runs up to 2020 so the partnership being recent isn't that big of an issue.

Also, i'm asking this as i barely know anything about Granblue but if we were to get a Granblue rep, wouldn't Gran/Djeeta or Lyra make more sense instead since those two (three) are appearently the main characters (and by main, i mean the leading protags)?

You missed a dragon quest character, which is either DQ3 hero, or more likely slime. With Pirahna plant playable, Slime has nothing against him now, and it is the mascot of the series, which is absolutely MASSIVE in japan.
Ah yeah, those two i see having a pretty high chance. Dragon Quest in general has been on Nintendo platforms more consistently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom