• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse pivot chain grabbing!

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
I want to discuss a technique I find adds to the arsenal of the ever growing and amazing falco. I give credit to Sethlon for bringing this move to a tournament where we could all see and wangston for creating a post very similar. I would like to call the move reverse pivot chain grabbing. We are all aware that the chain grab can only be used when facing an edge and ideally starting from the middle. Well we can further strike fear into the hearts of our opponents by doing the reverse pivot chain grab. This means that we can be facing any direction and still land a chain grab buffered dash dair. I will follow a process similar to wangston’s. I do not have a means of uploading or recording a video so bear with me. I will go through descriptions. Imagining shouldn’t be so hard.

When initiating the chain grab (in the forward direction) I find it best to be able to turn the grab around when you start the forward d throw buffer the dash, wait till you get behind them and the opponent lands then do the pivot chain grab. Ok So we will start at the last “triangle” or sharp corner near the edge on final destination (this is on training at 0 %). From her you should be facing the center of the stage. D throw, buffer the dash, wait till you get behind the opponent and the opponent lands then reverse pivot grab. D throw again and you should be back to your original spot. From here you are at a perfect position to d throw once more, buffer the dash, and dair. (As showin in wangstons video guide to chain grabbing). So we have used 3 throws here. But we are aware that a falco can land atleast 5 dthrows before it is DI’ed. So let’s move to the next platform. This is the next “triangle” or corner closest to the center diamond on final destination. Again on a computer at 0 % in training mode. We basically follow the same procedure as the first one. Start at the second corner, grab, dthrow, buffer the dash, and wait till you get behind the opponent and he is about to land on the ground. Then pivot reverse grab. Dthrow, buffer the dash, and you should be back to your original spot. From here you dthrow, buffer the dash, and grab one last time. At this point you should be at the last corner of the stage right near the edge. Again this is the perfect distance to d throw, buffer the dash and dair (again as shown in wangstons visual guide) You should have used 4 throws altogether, the limit for not being able to DI and an good chance at a KO. The next step would be of course the middle of the stage, but from here you can just do a regular chain grab. Of course if you want to be spunky then you can follow the same procedure as above ultimately dthrowing the opponent at least 5 times. Of course if you land this last throw it will be a definite KO. Remember, buffer the dash because it gives the correct amount of spacing and distance covered.

Please, please may someone replicate this information, make a video and post it or send me the link. I would highly appreciate it and so would the falco smash community. Don’t forget to add me to the falco advanced technique guides by blad01 to add to the repertoire of falco! Thank you for your time.

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
Wait I thought Sethlon used like a boost pivotgrab (dont know the name)
act like ur boost smashing, then do a pivot grab. Lets see.......
run, down c-stick(dash attack) then back and grab. Or are we talking about 2 different things?
Just checking.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Light talks about Reverse Boost Grab, which is way more effective ;) But i don't think that we can do a RB Chaingrab... It takes too much time.

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
Thank you that was it. Reverse Boost Grab. But,yea you cant do a CG with that. Going back and forth anyways.(although it would be freakin awesome,though it works about three times on link from 0%)But you can definately turn your CG around and continue it.

But yeah against SK he used boost.(first round was awesome, the rest were like races to get a CG to d-air off animal crossing >_>)

wangston

Smash Lord
OMG!!! Some one read my guide :) Yes what sethlon does in on of his matches is a reverse pivot boost grab. It's like doing a boost up smash but instead of up smashing you do a reverse pivot grab as soon as you do the dash attack. It's really hard to get the timing down but once you do your good to go. I haven't pulled it out in any my matches yet because i'm not confident enough in it. But doing a reverse pivot boost grab works much better than the plain old reverse pivot grab, because the boost slides you there much faster than just the pivot grab so it makes the window of escape much smaller.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Light talks about Reverse Boost Grab, which is way more effective ;) But i don't think that we can do a RB Chaingrab... It takes too much time.
Thank you that was it. Reverse Boost Grab. But,yea you cant do a CG with that. Going back and forth anyways.(although it would be freakin awesome,though it works about three times on link from 0%)But you can definately turn your CG around and continue it.

But yeah against SK he used boost.(first round was awesome, the rest were like races to get a CG to d-air off animal crossing >_>)
What do you guys mean you can't reverse boost grab as part of the CG? It works perfectly, I think it fails when you don't boost.

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
ok first please exuse my spelling:)
second the boost grab does work as an extension of your regular cg, but as far as going back and forth with it, the opponent can just jump, or up-special out of it.Also make sure your opponent is at the right % if your coming out of your cg. Otherwise theres punishment. And I think we all know that we can change directions with the boost.

3rd i think that guy up there has a thread on how to do it and that other guy explained also. Hell i did too 0.o

4th it looks friggin awesome

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
this is only useful if you start a chaingrab near an edge going away. you would do a RB grab after a down throw to go back towards the edge so you can spike. /thread

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
I use Z and A.

So it goes like,

Down Throw
Shove forward on the analog stick
Immediately shove the opposite direction + Z + A

It can also be done with the c-stick, but i find A a alot easier.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
The use of boost pivot grabs in chain grabs stops being useful after a very low percentage... what tends to happen is your opponent tries to jump out and will simply jump off your head. I covered boost pivot grabbing more in depth in my Falco guide here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176342

I've quoted the section below:
#4.7 Boost Pivot Grabbing:
This technique utilizes the same concept as the boost smash; however, rather than canceling the dash attack with an up smash, you cancel it with a pivot grab. A pivot grab is when you are running one direction and then smash the opposite direction on the analog stick as you grab. To demonstrate:

Video soon to come.

This technique does have a few downsides. Although it looks like you get a lot of range, you really don’t. This is because Falco’s grab hitbox is a bit in front of him and only lasts a split second. If you start the boost pivot grab at a distance, when you are sliding through your opponent, the hitbox misses them. The only way to get the boost pivot grab to land is to align your opponent with the hitbox. To do this, you need to start the boost pivot grab just in front of them. Another down side is that just like when you try to stand too close to another character and get moved back, while you are sliding past your opponent, you are also pushing them aside. This further diminishes the range of this move because you will sometimes end up pushing them behind you and out of your grab range. Also note that you can be hit out of this.

The only way I’ve found around the first two issues (the third is always a problem) is to use this technique when your opponent is in the air. Your sliding past won’t push them aside anymore, and Falco’s grab hitbox seems to be slightly bigger against aerial opponents. With this in mind, viable applications for the technique are much easier to find; my favorite being... If you happen reach the edge during a chaingrab before reaching the damage limit for the chaingrab, you can use a boost pivot grab to change directions of the chaingrab. Just be sure to give yourself enough room before hitting the edge. To demonstrate:

Video soon to come.
Hopefully that helps some of you.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
You could just regular old pivot chain grab but what's the point on that? If I'm not mistaken you can continue your chain grab at higher percents using the boost grab. Especially on GANONDORF
I have a lot more trouble with the reverse boost grab than I do with the boost smash, so I usually use that to follow a Dthrow at higher percentages.

However, if I'm close to the edge and I grab the opponent at a very low percentage, I like to attempt a pivot chain grab once or twice so that they're at about 30-40% by the time I want to spike. So it's useful for racking up damage with the chaingrab without having to move forward too much.

Top Bottom