• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Counter?! A New Marth Finisher?!

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I was playing some of my friends in a 3 person all Marth match. One of them was countered and I just happened to be right behind him when this happened. The blow from the counter hit me as well, giving me a huge amount of knockback (far more than usual) but my friend who was being countered was not. I had never seen this before and the strike immediatly killed me. Has this happened to anyone else before?

*Update* I managed to duplicate the move again with a down-smash and I found that the behind player (only tested as Marth) can be hit while on the ground and still be attacked with the full blow!! Basically, the character needs to be DIRECTLY behind (or above) the counterer. The counter will swing behind him at one moment giving a huge amount of knockback and "tippering" his counter.

*Update*At about 34 %, this attack has knockback a little short of an uncharged tippered f-smash and at 85 or so %, this attack can easily kill a Marth from the center of FD. It is very situational though, and even in battle it probably could only be used in doubles. I hope to upload a video of the attack soon, but I'm leaving for a trip tomarrow so I might not be able to. I believe that I am the first to find this, but I'm not sure, does anyone know of this technique being in use in competetive play before?

AIDS

Smash Lord
near the edge? and do you have a video? this sounds odd, im thinking you might have hit an invisable sealing or somthing.

greenpika

Smash Cadet
hmmm... this could be an interesting new technique... do u know what attack was used?

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
AIDS: Sorry, but I wasn't taping during the match since it was one of many casual FFAs, and I was kind of near the edge; about 1/5 of the way across FD from the right edge but the strength of the blow was so powerful that I was immediatly killed with it.

greenpika: I think it was either an f-smash or an f-air but I honestly can't remember. The attack only hit me with a huge amount of knockback, but its intended target was hit with the normal amount of knockback.

greenpika

Smash Cadet
sweet. we should name this technique. umm.... reverse counter?

still, due to the circumstances needed to pull off this move, it wont be used much. it might have already been discovered, but no one said anything because they thought it wouldnt be useful. at most you could use it in teams... or you could use it when your teammate attacks you so the person behind you gets killed and your teammate get mimunm knockback... but still, thats going to tough to use in the game purposely.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was thinking the same: it's VERY situational. It could probably be used best as a teammate attacks to hit an approaching aerial enemy for high knockback.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
not true. you could get hit by terrain stuff, like arwings or falling tools
You are correct about the arwings however the falling tools would not apply because Flat Zone is banned in tournamnets. It is unlikeley that this technique will see much use (if any) in both singles and doubles.

Samochan

Smash Master
Well the attacker could hit you from the left side with an attack, but continue to move in front of you, which could result in getting hit by the backside of the counter (fox and falcon for example like to use nairs to travel quite a bit of distance and many times end up behind opponent if they miss or get shielded)

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I also realized, though this hasn't been tryed as it is unconfirmed if Roy can use the RC, that this may make it possible to do the 3 Ness's Fully Charged PK Flash-to-Game and Watch Oil Spill-to-Roy's Counter-to-Roy's Counter, making it the most powerful non-glitch attack in the game!

*Update* This is impossible due to the fact that Roy's Counter has a different track than Marth's, so his cannot hit behind him and be countered again.

Top Bottom