• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Respect Online

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
Having recentley come across a "Troll" online who would use tags to abuse opponents when they won with tags like "Loser", "You suck" and "MWUAHHA" to show laughter at mu attempts at smash I thought it would be a good idea to start ad discussion on the topic of respect.

Respect online is not just about not insulting your opponent who is trying their best but more on your conduct, simple things such as saying GG with a tag before bolting shows sportsmanship even if you are salty they won't know just do it it takes 5 seconds at most for them to notice if you keep clicking on and off of a character.

Taunting while a fun way to display dominance is extremely irritating for a losing opponent, sure it can be all jokes to you but to a frustrated opponent you look like an ass.

Overall this is all just some suggestions but it's up to you just considered the people you play against online aren't robots they have feelings too. But most important have fun :)

qwfwfq

Smash Cadet
Don't sweat it, man. Let it go and keep practicing. There will always be trolls and disrespect no matter where you go in life. The best revenge is living well. (Or you can get really good with an annoying character and execute your revenge with a flurry of pikmin).

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of expected in a 1v1 For Glory. One of the reasons I play Team Smash when in For Fun and For Glory. Respect and fun are there. Dissin' someone is kind of pointless when you're just going to be their teammate anyways.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Yeah, I love players that win due to lag and still act like they won a World Championship. Nice. Usually it happens after I was effortlessly dominating until, out of nowhere, horrible lag starts. Usually just as I'm coming in to recover. Oh... and did I mention I main Dr. Mario? Yeah, lag hurts his already bad recovery. Nice. Gotta love a player that needs to cause lag to win a trivial online match. Whatever gives meaning to their lives, I guess. :laugh:

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
Yeah, I love players that win due to lag and still act like they won a World Championship. Nice. Usually it happens after I was effortlessly dominating until, out of nowhere, horrible lag starts. Usually just as I'm coming in to recover. Oh... and did I mention I main Dr. Mario? Yeah, lag hurts his already bad recovery. Nice. Gotta love a player that needs to cause lag to win a trivial online match. Whatever gives meaning to their lives, I guess. :laugh:
It's like some people just turn netflix on and off the random spikes you get.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
This is true. I'm not sure exactly how everyone goes about it, but there are many ways to intentionally cause lag. I had a guy the other day that was obviously doing it. The match began normally. I was easily winning. The guy then ran to the other end of the stage, stood there and proceeded to taunt. Immediately after the taunt animation, a huge amount of lag began. At this point, because he was Ness, he just had to spam and fish for a back throw (which he did). Nice. Just to be sure, I rematched him and the same exact thing happened. This time he was Toon Link. The match started fine. He was actually getting the best of me at first, but after I took a kill..... step back, taunt, lag. Nice. Why do this? What does it prove? Too bad Nintendo can't detect a sudden loss in connection from one person and ban them for intentionally causing lag. Seems no different than hacking.

link2702

Smash Champion
for glory 1v1 in wii U is filled with disrespectful players. You just gotta tough it out. 3DS isn't as bad since you aren't allowed to change nametags in the 3ds smash, but you still will find players trolling you.

nothing to do but grit your teeth and deal with it.

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
It's frustrating to be sure. Especially if, like you said, the troll is actually beating you. I love Smash, but I have some anger management issues when it comes to these guys, something I'm trying to work on. Sucks since playing online is the most viable way for me to play with other people at the moment. I guarantee those people wouldn't act like that at a local.

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
This is true. I'm not sure exactly how everyone goes about it, but there are many ways to intentionally cause lag. I had a guy the other day that was obviously doing it. The match began normally. I was easily winning. The guy then ran to the other end of the stage, stood there and proceeded to taunt. Immediately after the taunt animation, a huge amount of lag began. At this point, because he was Ness, he just had to spam and fish for a back throw (which he did). Nice. Just to be sure, I rematched him and the same exact thing happened. This time he was Toon Link. The match started fine. He was actually getting the best of me at first, but after I took a kill..... step back, taunt, lag. Nice. Why do this? What does it prove? Too bad Nintendo can't detect a sudden loss in connection from one person and ban them for intentionally causing lag. Seems no different than hacking.
That sucks man

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
It's frustrating to be sure. Especially if, like you said, the troll is actually beating you. I love Smash, but I have some anger management issues when it comes to these guys, something I'm trying to work on. Sucks since playing online is the most viable way for me to play with other people at the moment. I guarantee those people wouldn't act like that at a local.
Yeah I guess they wouldn't want to do it if they could see how it's actually affecting people.

Spaceman

twitch.tv/spacemanstream
NNID
youlosttotoadgg
3DS FC
3497-1911-1309
Man, if I'm playing online I try to be disrespectful AF. I do not care about your feelings, you will get these hands and you're gonna watch me be a sore winner.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Man, if I'm playing online I try to be disrespectful AF. I do not care about your feelings, you will get these hands and you're gonna watch me be a sore winner.
You are my idol.
If you go on For Glory expecting respect, well, truth be told, you're gonna be mighty surprised. People are like that. That's why it's up to you to report that ass.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Are you the kind of player that's a sore loser as well? I love the matches with people who taunt while ahead and then cry foul when they get their ass handed to them. :laugh:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I taught myself to ignore any type of trash talk or stuff like that. I just keep going and keep playing. When you are angry, you play worse. It's just some moron behind a screen, you know? There will always be people like that. Anyway, I agree that people should be more respectful, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
When I play I will not change my name to something offensive. There's something to be said courtesy and sportsmanship. Having an insulting name to mock your opponent just makes you look butthurt if you lose and certainly makes you look obnoxious if you win. There's literally no point in doing it. This is a game for everybody, so try to have fun when playing and not give anyone a hard time. Politeness goes a long way.

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
To each his own I guess.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
The only time I'd consider taunting is if the guy was taunting during or prior to the match. In that case, he get's what was coming to him. Otherwise, if I have a good, solid match, I always flash "GG" (and almost always get it back). The only other tags I'll flash would be something pertaining to lag, most often if I win due to lag. Since I've lost so many to lag, I'll be the first to admit a lag win doesn't count for anything, it's just a fluke.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Getting a little mad actually helps me play better... It makes me watch my opponent closer and try to take advantage of his patterns, alongside speeding up my fingers. (Sometimes I play quite lazily my first few matches) It's when you rage that you start to play worse, because you stop thinking about the game and start thinking about the player.

As far as respect goes, I respect good and bad players alike. I give respectful taunts after a victory or at the beginning of the match. If I win or lose close games, I'll send "GG" and "Ur good!" tags. If someone is a taunty troll and I win, I'll send them "Dr.GitGud" as a tag and beat them with Doctor Mario, which usually makes them ragequit.

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
Getting a little mad actually helps me play better... It makes me watch my opponent closer and try to take advantage of his patterns, alongside speeding up my fingers. (Sometimes I play quite lazily my first few matches) It's when you rage that you start to play worse, because you stop thinking about the game and start thinking about the player.

As far as respect goes, I respect good and bad players alike. I give respectful taunts after a victory or at the beginning of the match. If I win or lose close games, I'll send "GG" and "Ur good!" tags. If someone is a taunty troll and I win, I'll send them "Dr.GitGud" as a tag and beat them with Doctor Mario, which usually makes them ragequit.
That's justified mocking then.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
When I play For Glory, I usually see 3 post-game attitudes:
The rarest is the "good game" attitude, where the other player says (s)he loved it, whether (s)he won or not.
The most common is the one who doesn't say anything.
The worst kind is the one that says "N0TTRY1NG" when (s)he wins and then says "TIER*****" when (s)he loses.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Most of the players I've fought during 1-on-1 For Glory never say anything after a match and then leave. I personally respect every player and their mains I've fought out there so long as they return the favor...or if they don't say anything, of course. I don't respect those who are cocky, arrogant and being totally disrespectful. I'm all about having fun regardless of whether I win or lose.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am actually considering to turn on lag whenever someone is losing his last stock. Seems like a nice way to taunt.
I would never turn it on while playing though because playing with lag is very annoying. I would rather get my ass kicked in a good connection then dominate in lag.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I remember running into a really good Little Mac player the other day while playing as Wii Fit Trainer. Won the first 2 matches...barely. Normally I just leave after winning a 2/3 but I thought the Little Mac player was really good and let him get a runback. He ended up barely beating me twice afterwards.

I was still up for some matches, but then he started complaining with tags claiming I was a camper, ledge camper, grab spammer, and that I was bad. I actually found this baffling (and funny at the same time). Despite the fact he was a good player, he had a very scrubbish mentality. Why play Little Mac if you aren't prepared to fight zoning and backthrows? Needless to say I just left after that.

Not salty, if anything I just found it hilarious and ironic that someone would pick a character with such obvious flaws, then complain when the opponent takes advantage of those flaws.

Then you get those people where you accidently suicide while playing a new character, barely losing...then they change their tag to "LOL" then leave...Some people want you to be salty or unmotivated. Just gotta keep calm and see the irony of it all.

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Salt and hate mail are par for the course for online play unfortunately. The combination of playing (and losing against) complete strangers and the relative safety of being anonymous on the internet brings out the worst in people, so they'll send all sorts of abusive drivel your way because they're sure they'll be able to do it without reprisal.

You just shrug and move on, and largely be grateful due to the Wii U's fairly limited methods of online interaction that hate mail/messages tend to be way too much effort for the average douchebag. Online salt on the Wii U is pretty tame, in my opinion.

I used to play a lot of Halo 3 back in the day, as well as Gears of War 2&3. Now those games gave me a master class in what serious video game salt looks like. People changing their tag to 'noob' or 'camper' in Sm4sh just doesn't phase me after those two. Well, those and the Souls series but due to the nature of PvP in the Souls games it's not too surprising I guess.

Puchero

Smash Rookie
I try to respect everyone I encounter, but it is hard sometimes. If you taunt me or you play in a frustrating way (spamming for example) then I just get salty and behave like a douche. But I admit it, I might need to practice my dalai lamas.

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
For the most part I like to stay respectful, flashing a GG every game, unless they mess up. Or, if they get a good kill or they dominate I usually flash a 'Nice:)'.
For the most part this has helped me avoid the disrespect except for one time where I won using Kirby and got called a spammer for using Falco's laser gun.
I guess for the most part respect earns respect?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I beat Sheik with Little Mac, and the guy pulls the "NO SKILL" tag. Sometimes I just don't understand people.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
What's everyone's opinion of a person taunting several times in a match (usually when they think they got a kill, but you DI greatly and get back)? I don't mind a taunt after a final kill, but you shouldn't do it after each kill or randomly in a match.

Also, how about when they destroy you and/or you SD, but they still flash GG. Personally, in both instances, I take it as a taunt more than a genuine showing of respect or good will. If I got crushed, I'm already pissed, so seeing GG doesn't help. The same goes if I SD..... please don't say GG, because it most certainly was not.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
But how am I suppose to display my dominance over an opponent if I don't immediately call them a scrub afterwards in tags, send them a friend request with a message aftwerwards saying they should just give up, phone their house and inform them of how worthless they are, mail them a picture of me laughing in front of the victory screen, steal their girlfriend and impregnate her and then leave her so she goes running back to them and they have to support my child, become friends with their father and eventually get so close and accomplished that he considers me a better son than his own, etc after I win?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Having recentley come across a "Troll" online who would use tags to abuse opponents when they won with tags like "Loser", "You suck" and "MWUAHHA" to show laughter at mu attempts at smash I thought it would be a good idea to start ad discussion on the topic of respect.

Respect online is not just about not insulting your opponent who is trying their best but more on your conduct, simple things such as saying GG with a tag before bolting shows sportsmanship even if you are salty they won't know just do it it takes 5 seconds at most for them to notice if you keep clicking on and off of a character.

Taunting while a fun way to display dominance is extremely irritating for a losing opponent, sure it can be all jokes to you but to a frustrated opponent you look like an ***.

Overall this is all just some suggestions but it's up to you just considered the people you play against online aren't robots they have feelings too. But most important have fun :)
Get Really good with Bowser and keep him as a back up.
You can beat so many people if you have a good bowser.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
But how am I suppose to display my dominance over an opponent if I don't immediately call them a scrub afterwards in tags, send them a friend request with a message aftwerwards saying they should just give up, phone their house and inform them of how worthless they are, mail them a picture of me laughing in front of the victory screen, steal their girlfriend and impregnate her and then leave her so she goes running back to them and they have to support my child, become friends with their father and eventually get so close and accomplished that he considers me a better son than his own, etc after I win?
You know, that's a good point, I had not considered that. I am now questioning everything I know in life.

1FC0

Smash Lord
What's everyone's opinion of a person taunting several times in a match (usually when they think they got a kill, but you DI greatly and get back)?
I often taunt when I know that the opponent will survive on a very little margin or when I am in doubt so really there is no way to know if he thought that you would die even if you almost got killed and he taunts.

Top Bottom