• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Respect Online

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I often taunt when I know that the opponent will survive on a very little margin or when I am in doubt so really there is no way to know if he thought that you would die even if you almost got killed and he taunts.
I try to never taunt unless I know the match is over and I've won. On the few occasions that I've accidentally taunted and my opponent was able to recover.... they almost always have pulled out the win. I don't know if it's me panicking or the Gaming Gods punishing me, but I swear I'm cursed if I taunt before the match is over.

On the flip side, there's almost nothing sweeter than defeating someone that taunted prematurely. They think they have the match in hand and you pull out a victory and get the final taunt in. Very rewarding (especially when they call you a scrub and then hastily leave).

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
But how am I suppose to display my dominance over an opponent if I don't immediately call them a scrub afterwards in tags, send them a friend request with a message aftwerwards saying they should just give up, phone their house and inform them of how worthless they are, mail them a picture of me laughing in front of the victory screen, steal their girlfriend and impregnate her and then leave her so she goes running back to them and they have to support my child, become friends with their father and eventually get so close and accomplished that he considers me a better son than his own, etc after I win?
The hell did I just read

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Stop playing on for glory if you don't want people acting like kids. and start playing people on smashboards or ladders, Very less likely to encounter people like that, and you get a challenge.

For glory personally makes my day, there's nothing like seeing a Zero Suit Samus complaining about G&W being OP, (Mainly his Bucket) after feeding me paralyzers and killing me at 60% with his Up B, G&W so OP man, better nerf him some more like they nerfed his up tlit knock back.

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
As a relatively new player to the Smash scene, not saying I haven't played since 64/Melee, but I was never really into branching out into the game until now.

However, that being said, I try to take on opponents with respect. I never change my tag and only taunt to convey a message (ie GG, GL;HF, WTF just happened?). However, I've come across people who have been very rude and change tags often to things like 'ZzZ-.-'. Note that I was playing the guy for an extended period of times, and I bested him most of my matches. After a while he switched characters to Lucario after I had been playing him for so long and kind of just got steamrolled by me, I guess he thought because I was decent with him that he could easily pick him up and beat me. So after several games of a Lucario ditto, he manages to win one and taunted the hell out of me during that match and proceeded to do so in the next match.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too sensitive.

Spghtti

Smash Rookie
NNID
MR.PCgame
3DS FC
2852-7898-2911
As a relatively new player to the Smash scene, not saying I haven't played since 64/Melee, but I was never really into branching out into the game until now.

However, that being said, I try to take on opponents with respect. I never change my tag and only taunt to convey a message (ie GG, GL;HF, WTF just happened?). However, I've come across people who have been very rude and change tags often to things like 'ZzZ-.-'. Note that I was playing the guy for an extended period of times, and I bested him most of my matches. After a while he switched characters to Lucario after I had been playing him for so long and kind of just got steamrolled by me, I guess he thought because I was decent with him that he could easily pick him up and beat me. So after several games of a Lucario ditto, he manages to win one and taunted the hell out of me during that match and proceeded to do so in the next match.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too sensitive.
I guess there is a need to be thick skinned when it comes to playing d bags online.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I guess there is a need to be thick skinned when it comes to playing d bags online.
As much as this game is about skill, timing, reads, spacing, etc.... there's also some luck/randomness involved. It's easy to just throw out Smash attacks and get a lucky win or toss a projectile and gimping someone's recovery. Oh.... and Toadstooling. Damn that Toadstool mechanic.... but I digress. Oh, and with lag, anything can happen.

Those are all reasons why it's so easy to be an a-hole online. Most of them grab a lucky win, taunt, and run away. Do best 2 out of 3 and then I'll be more willing to accept your taunting. Usually if I lose the first match, I'll come back and win the next 2 straight. no problem.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I go on For Glory occasionally, though I mostly stick to finding opponents elsewhere. When I do go on, I greet every new person with a "Hello." and a "Good luck.", and give a "Good game." after every match, plus a "You rock." if they're very good. I mostly just get met with people not saying anything, but, eh, I wasn't expecting anything else. XD

It's really heartwarming if you find someone who does it too. I found this good Bowser Jr. user who said "You too!" back to my usual greeting, and said "Good game!" and "Ur great!!" even when they JV two stocked me. They left after only a few matches, winning each one, but it still cheered me up so much just because of their attitude. I'd say it's worth it to be respectful to everyone you meet just to know that you might maybe make their day like that. :)

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
It's hard to show proper etiquette when playing complete strangers. I'm guilty of being a brick wall online with tags when playing FG, though the reason for that is because I don't like the clutter. I play with my friends often in real life and we have enough trouble trying to find our nametags. lol

I do make it an effort to send someone a message through Miiverse if I really enjoyed the games. If I played the person on the 3DS, I'll go stalker mode and search their names online and hopefully find something to let them know that they made my day a little better.

As for the jerks - eff 'em. They probably cry themselves to sleep at night after losing a single match.

Top Bottom