• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Renths Ganon Tips and Findings.

Renth

Smash Hero

For those of you who don't know me.

I am Renth, I've been playing competitive smash for many years. Fury Of Ganon 3 was my final project for Smash Brothers Melee. I did a lot for the Ganondorf community for melee and I intend to do the same in Brawl.

Let's get down to business:

Note: I'll be only typing out what I have done so far, I currently do not have recording equipment in my possession. If anything has already been discovered and talked about I don't care take it else where, this is to help people not start flame wars.

Ledge Fun

I'm finding Ganondorfs ledge game in brawl to be fairly different than the one in melee. Though different there's still a lot of fun things he can.

Ledge hopping

Ganondorf cannot ledge hop like he did in melee, in melee from the ledge if you pushed down, rejumped and Di'd up and towards the stage you'd land on it. If you try this with Brawl Ganon he just grabs the ledge again and nothing happens. However, if you push down/away then air dodge up and towards the stage he will land on the stage as if he had ledge hopped.

Aerials onto the stage?

It's possible, Ganondorf can now Up Air, B air, down air and F air onto the stage in melee he could only u air. (he could d air in melee but there was no hit box and was useless.) To do these aerials onto the stage push down/away then immiediately hold into the stage and use the aerial of your choice.

Uses?

B air from the ledge: I think is very useful, not only can you be on the ledge waiting for an edge hog if you feel they're going to go above you or try to hit you off you can b air and have the aerial come out and hit them away as you're on your way to the stage.

U air from the ledge: Same benefits as it had in melee, you u air onto the stage you can bat someone away that's trying to recover or hit someone away that's trying to edge guard.
though it can be easily shield grabbed.

F air from the ledge: It looks kind of goofy because it lands with the ending animation but i'm sure it's useful (I haven't had time to experiment with it)

D air from the ledge: You can spike someone coming from below and land on the stage.

Ganons New Forward B Physics?

My Thoughts:

I am very pleased with Ganondorfs new forward b. I'm sure by now everyone knows that you can infact forward b into the ledge to grab it unlike in melee. It's also fun to mix it in while recovering.

Ganoncide: Aerial forward b off the stage you grab them you both die. Great if you have a stock lead.

Forward B from the ledge: Also ties in with how you can do aerials onto the stage this is a little more risky depending on how you're being edge guarded. You can also stall (not safely) with it on the ledge if you do a semi-ledge hop into forward b over and over.

Forward B on the ground: It's pretty interesting, if you know someone is going to shield take advantage of it and drop them on their face forcing them to tech!

Ganon Infinite?: If you aerial forward b you can cover more ground faster and tech chase easier. If you're tech chasing and you're afraid of a get up attack you can shield and wait to grab it and if they tech away in either direction it's an easy aerial forward b dropping them right back down to square one.

Lag Cancels

If you short hop an immediately down air you will land completely lagless. You can do this with his other moves but timing varies. Down air so far is the most noticeable out of all of them because he lands and he can do as he pleases.

Misc.

The Ganondorf played in melee was strongly about his aerial game. In brawl it's basicly the same concept with a few new tricks thrown into the mix. Before it was a lot about doing an aerial rejumping and doing another in brawls case there are some changes.

Note: Ganondorf CANNOT F air, Rejump F air anymore or at least I do not believe he can. However, it has been proven that he can down air rejump and do another d air if you have the timing right.

N air: MUCH better than it was in melee combos well and does decent damage.

F air: Great knock back and a good way to end a combination if you can get a proper set up also good to spacing to keep people away.

B air: can be spammed and has a lot of knock back b air, rejump b air is a decent wall to keep people away same uses as it had in melee.

U air: Same properties as melees ganondorf I haven't seen too many differences thus far.

D air: Like melee again, great combo potential if auto canceled.

F Tilt/Jab Also kill very easily, though jab is slower it's been buffed.

Up Tilt: Has completely new properties it has a strange wind effect that pushs people away and pulls them in? There are cases where the wind off of it works as a slight edge guard it can push people away if they try to ledge on the stage.

Down B: is still a overly risky kill move.

Note: You do not get your jump back like you did in melee after down Bing in the air.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Keep this updated as many ganon players will be interested in your findings. Good stuff bro.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
Even though it's minor, it's worth noting that full jump, then second jump + immediate F-Air will result in a lagless landing. Somewhat useful for trying to land F-Air on falling opponents in case they air dodge through you and try to punish your expected landing recovery.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of confused about the aerials on stage section. Is this the same thing as scrapping or is it different? I'm not too sure what you mean when you say to "hold into the stage"

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand how to ledge hop from your description. Anyone care to elaborate?

Renth

Smash Hero
I don't really understand how to ledge hop from your description. Anyone care to elaborate?
The idea of it is awkward, but i assure you it works. If you're hanging from the ledge push down or away and then if you air dodge while DIing up and towards the stage you will land on it as if you had ledge hopped. I'll get a vid if i can, Timat was at my house today he watched me do it repeatedly.

I'm kind of confused about the aerials on stage section. Is this the same thing as scrapping or is it different? I'm not too sure what you mean when you say to "hold into the stage"
i'm not sure what "Scrapping" is but okay. when you're hanging from the ledge push down or away to let go of the ledge, then hold the control stick directly into the stage and do an aerial of your choice if done correctly you will do an aerial onto the stage straight from the ledge.

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
The idea of it is awkward, but i assure you it works. If you're hanging from the ledge push down or away and then if you air dodge while DIing up and towards the stage you will land on it as if you had ledge hopped. I'll get a vid if i can, Timat was at my house today he watched me do it repeatedly.
For the sake of clarification (and I'm sorry that I'm having a tough time understanding what I'm supposed to do), let's say I'm playing Final Destination, and that I'm hanging on the right edge. I push down on the control stick, then press R or L for my air dodge, while also holding the control stick upwards so I land back on the stage? Whenever I try this, Ganon simply falls down because you can't manipulate the physics with air dodges like you could in Melee. I must be doing this wrong then.

Also, I believe that you can do this, I must just suck at it. A video would be awesome.

Renth

Smash Hero
For the sake of clarification (and I'm sorry that I'm having a tough time understanding what I'm supposed to do), let's say I'm playing Final Destination, and that I'm hanging on the right edge. I push down on the control stick, then press R or L for my air dodge, while also holding the control stick upwards so I land back on the stage? Whenever I try this, Ganon simply falls down because you can't manipulate the physics with air dodges like you could in Melee. I must be doing this wrong then.

Also, I believe that you can do this, I must just suck at it. A video would be awesome.
if you are hanging from the right ledge you push down on the control stick to let go, then hold diaginal up left and air dodge and you should land on the stage as if you had ledgehopped normally with another character. I wish it was easier to explain.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
im sad cuz u beat me to this. i respect you though cuz i know u are a really good player and u inspired me back in melee. hopefully i wont be a no-name player this time around.

i know that had nothing to do with the thread but i just wanted to say it.

i wanna know ur opinion on ganoncides do you find them effective when ur in a lead? i think its risky to do um off the stage but even recoverying sometimes my opponent stays near the edge and i get him.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
*pushes up glasses*

I believe what is actually happening with ganon's ledgehopping is that Mark is letting go of the edge second jumping and immediately airdodging. The second jump is not high enough for Ganon to land on the level, but the airdodge changes his body shape just enough to let him land on the level. The same thing happens with ganon's aerials, condensing/raising his body just enough to let him land on the level.

Or I could be completely wrong... and if I am then i don't understand what you're saying at all Mark.

Now things I actually know about:
In Melee ganon could nair onto the stage and get the first hitbox out. Darrel did this all the time when he was screwing around.

Renth

Smash Hero
im sad cuz u beat me to this. i respect you though cuz i know u are a really good player and u inspired me back in melee. hopefully i wont be a no-name player this time around.

i know that had nothing to do with the thread but i just wanted to say it.

i wanna know ur opinion on ganoncides do you find them effective when ur in a lead? i think its risky to do um off the stage but even recoverying sometimes my opponent stays near the edge and i get him.
it is risky as all hell, but if you're 100% sure it's going to hit why not? haha but in most cases just take the b air or whatever and kill them.

*pushes up glasses*

I believe what is actually happening with ganon's ledgehopping is that Mark is letting go of the edge second jumping and immediately airdodging. The second jump is not high enough for Ganon to land on the level, but the airdodge changes his body shape just enough to let him land on the level. The same thing happens with ganon's aerials, condensing/raising his body just enough to let him land on the level.

Or I could be completely wrong... and if I am then i don't understand what you're saying at all Mark.

Now things I actually know about:
In Melee ganon could nair onto the stage and get the first hitbox out. Darrel did this all the time when he was screwing around.
Actually, you're 100% right.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
I can vouch for the weirdness of the ledge hopping with ganon. By all means it doesn't SOUND like it should work, but Exarch was right about how it twists his body around in such a way that he does in fact make it onto the stage.

Something to point out though, you have to be REALLY fast to do it. It's about as hard (if not harder) than a perfect waveland from the ledge as in melee with ganon. It is useful though, I will also point that out, cause nobody expects it.

...plus his jab range is gay.

Manu

Smash Cadet
As a Ganon fan I must say your insights have been priceless

Down B: is still a overly risky kill move.
I've found some real use for DownB. I've found for the move is killing in the air. It knocks back straight up when used in the air so if you are being pursued in the air and the opponent is at 70 or 80 he could go for the kill with move quicker than his other aerials. And if it misses usually his move is done before landing so lag isn't an issue when used at heights. Again its only good for when he's being pursued by speedy Diddys, Toon Links and other aerial combatants I feel.

Renth

Smash Hero
As a Ganon fan I must say your insights have been priceless

I've found some real use for DownB. I've found for the move is killing in the air. It knocks back straight up when used in the air
Ganondorfs Down b in the air only sends people up if you hit while they're on the ground or hit with the tip of the foot any other time it's a direct spike like it was in melee.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
The only thing I'm confused on is the ledgehopping...if the airdodge animation is JUST enough to get him back on the ledge, how do you have enough time for an aerial as well?

I need some visual representation of this, because I'm confused :(

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
I'm still trying, and even at 1/4 speed it seems as if the timing is quite hard. Do you air dodge immediately when you jump?

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
Slight Note:

It appears possible to hit an opponent with a Neutral A or Down Tilt right after a side b grab. This however, seems to work more reliably on larger characters, and will not work on some occasions. I have yet to determine why.

Also, on one occasion it seemed like Ganon gets some heavy armor frames during his death choke side b. When holding one opponent, my friend a Lucario at the time sent a charged aura ball my way, but it seemed to not phase me as I had my opponent in a side b grab. Useless in duels, kinda neat in multiplayer (if this is true and not some random fluke).

Lord Genome

Smash Rookie
Slight Note:

It appears possible to hit an opponent with a Neutral A or Down Tilt right after a side b grab. This however, seems to work more reliably on larger characters, and will not work on some occasions. I have yet to determine why.
Yes, it is possible and quite reliable if you know who it can affect.

Copy+pasting from my post in Shin's guide:

"Hey guys, new member here, though I've been reading the forums for a while now before Brawl's release. Thought I'd pop in and give a definitive list on this matter, as I discovered it myself before hearing about it here and then checked every character.

Ganondorf can combo his forward B and jab with EVERYONE BUT THE FOLLOWING:

Mario, Link, Fox, Falco, Marth, Zelda, Sheik, Squirtle, Peach, Ganondorf, Sonic, Ness, Lucario, Toon Link, Captain Falcon, and Zero Suit Samus.

Pretty happy about it, as I've never seen anyone recover in time to avoid the jab.

*edit: Something to note - this was tested on a FLAT SURFACE (Final Destination). Angled surfaces can change this. If you're attacking someone on an incline from below, I'm quite sure you can hit ANYONE with the jab after the forward+b. If you're attacking from above on an incline, most likely you won't be able to hit anyone at all. Possibly the larger heavyweights (Bowser, Charizard, Dedede), but I haven't tested this."

I had noticed that down tilt could work instead of the jab as well, but I haven't tested if it works for every single character that the jab works on, but I am pretty positive it does not work on anyone that the jab doesn't work on either.

VoiceOfDoom

Smash Rookie
Slight Note:

Also, on one occasion it seemed like Ganon gets some heavy armor frames during his death choke side b. When holding one opponent, my friend a Lucario at the time sent a charged aura ball my way, but it seemed to not phase me as I had my opponent in a side b grab. Useless in duels, kinda neat in multiplayer (if this is true and not some random fluke).

The super armor is not a fluke, I've seen it happen many times. It gives super armor to ganondorf and the person he grabs unless he does the move in the air then there is no armor.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I've heard that Ganon gets camped easily on...and from what little I've played it seems it may be true. How does Ganon get around a camper since he's so slow and there's no safe approach for him?

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
Always happy to see more people out there supporting Ganondorf players. Keep the information coming. If you find something very sound, get the information to me at shindismal@yahoo.com and i'll quote you and your findings in my guide, or, talk with some of the mods and get your information sticky'd up there somehow.

Lets all work hard to make Ganon an amazing character.

(lazes about playing psp)

wh-what!?

<3 ~Shin_Ganondorf~

Renth for prez

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I've heard that Ganon gets camped easily on...and from what little I've played it seems it may be true. How does Ganon get around a camper since he's so slow and there's no safe approach for him?
Hmm, I don't know really, but then again my Ganondorf is nowhere near pro. I haven't had much trouble with camping yet, but I've run into my share of Pit/Wolf/Toon Link players. I usually just slowly advance, and when I get close enough, DownB or Side B in range, and then keep at 'em until one of us dies :laugh:

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Ganon's reverse U air is great. If any character is about 50% the reverse you air will knock em back far enough where you can edge hog them to their death. And it usually will K.O them at 100.

Also ganon's nair fast falled is extremely quick. If done right you can hit with the first boot than you cancel the move and he doesn't pull out his second one. A great combo move.

I also noticed when I down b off the stage and go off sometimes it will automatically lead into another one and I suicide. It happened a bunch of times. It could be uber sensitive controls on my part. Has this happened to anyone else?

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I also noticed when I down b off the stage and go off sometimes it will automatically lead into another one and I suicide. It happened a bunch of times. It could be uber sensitive controls on my part. Has this happened to anyone else?
All the time online :laugh: However, I've gotten a bit of control over it, and a fun thing to do is down b and hit them right as it ends, then follow up with a short hopped aerial or something else

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I did it today offline. I was playing my brother and I lost the match because of it. I don't know why it does it.

It also seems that aerial canceling is going to be big with ganon. Does anyone agree or disagree?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I just found something interesting out with Ganon. I don't know if it's been discovered yet or not but I just thought I'd share anyway. If you are close to the ledge and there is a good opportunity to Forward B , don't pass it up! NOTE: This can always work with a forward b on the ground, and only at certain ranges on an aerial forward b. Never be afraid to forward b off the ledge anymore. On melee if you forward b off the map it was automatic death, and I thought brawl was the same way. However, if you forward b to the right of the stage in a way that you will fall off, as soon as you start moving, hold toward the stage and slightly up(in this case left) and you will grab the ledge. This could be used in various ways and allows the Forward B to be used in every situation. It's very helpful and maybe could be used as a quick edge hog? I'm not sure. Try it out and see what happens.

Top Bottom