• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reggie wants to know which game(s) we'd like to see at a Nintendo World Championships revival.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
I don't think that anybody is going to say that we shouldn't. Honestly though, out of any Nintendo game that could be featured at NWC Revival, Melee deserves it most. However, I have a feeling that they wouldn't look at competitive rule sets and the community would probably rage.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that anybody is going to say that we shouldn't. Honestly though, out of any Nintendo game that could be featured at NWC Revival, Melee deserves it most. However, I have a feeling that they wouldn't look at competitive rule sets and the community would probably rage.
That's a valid concern, but we also have relatively well connected guys that could vouch for our side, like Triforce for example.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Melee wouldn't really work because the nintendo WC were about completing an objective fast (i.e collect 50 coins in super mario bros.) They were all done to see who could complete it the fastest as well as get the most points. Melee probably wouldn't work and, even if Nintendo did get it in, nobody from the smash community would win since it's pooled together with other games

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Melee at a Nintendo event.
4 players. 5 minute time limit. No stocks. Items on high. Brinstar Depths.

Although, I was at a Melee tournament way back in 2006 that was actually run by Nintendo...World (the official store in NYC). It was 3 stock matches, 1v1, and 7 minute time limit. Never say never, I guess.

Hot topic at the #ImWithReggie TweetUp: If we had a new Nintendo World Championships using current games, what would we play? #Regginator
12 years ago is probably not considered current

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I don't really care if Melee will end up being there or not, but let's make it clear to Nintendo that we are here and want recognition! I'm really sick of Nintendo ignoring the competitive community

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
I'm about to make a status for this on facebook, but what exactly should I say in my status? I'm a n00b at twitter stuffs
Something like it's our chance to make some noise
It's actually our chance lol, don't care about the 12 years, just tweet

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I don't think melee is the type of game that fits this. They are just asking, I think, rhetorically what people would want to see if there was a revival of Nintendo World Championships. For the uninitiated it was basically a tournament where competitors would get a special, modded cart with 3 games: Super Mario Brothers, Rad Racer, and Tetris and has a certain amount of time to get a high score. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships
This isn't an actual tournament from the looks of it and I'm guessing they want stuff like "oh new super mario brothers u get 50 coins or catch nizbit" along those lines, but showing NoA that we are a vocal community (as if they didn't already know) and while we might not work for this is (more just a rhetorical question than anything else from the looks of it) they might throw us a bone sometime soon.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Believe it or not, this will be much harder to win than the Evo one.

It's the melee community Vs. The rest of the nintendo fanbase while some/half are turned off by the competitive melee scene based on their solemn minded outlook of the complexity and hype of the game and their possible bad experiences with the members of the scene. Did you read the tweets during Evo Top 8 for melee? It shows how clueless and apathetic they are towards it. And not only that, there are hundreds, if not, thousands of candidates since we are dealing with a huge library of nintendo games. Let's try anyways as a community and maybe we can beat the other Nintendo games and the will of their communities as well.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Regardless of winning or not, both Nintendo and Reggie will see that there is a HUGE supporting smash scene, encouraging them to focus and pay more attention to smash in general. Only good can come out of this. And yea I do think winning is very possible btw.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Even if they're not looking for a competitive fighting game, it doesn't hurt to sound off. They're aware of Evo and they might be aware of the Smash Brothers doc, so maybe they'll throw us a bone or something.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
It's essentially the competitive Melee scene VS just about every other Nintendo fan with access to twitter.

I honestly think Brawl would have a much better chance of making it in, not that I'd rather see Brawl being played but in terms of viewership experience it's a far easier game to "Take in" for a casual player and it's also the newest game in the franchise.

This tweet is a possible step in a bright direction though, They're actually asking their crowd for their interests with regards to competitive gaming and with Smash 4 on the horizon we should definitely make our voices heard every chance we get.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I don' t think there is anything to win guys. NoA's twitter asks a lot of questions like this, they're just to spark people tweeting about them. It's really a rhetorical question. That being said, the more we respond to their official twitter with smash related stuff, the more they see how vocal and active a community we are. Companies like nintendo love having big twitter followings because it's free PR so don't go into this thinking we are going to get into a tournament they aren't hosting (at least not yet). But don't stop tweeting them, vocal communities are the best communities.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I think any votes for melee will probably just be counted for brawl, just due to the nature of this poll. But, hey, you brawl haters should recognize that's still good for smash regardless of what smash game is selected.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Guys, you're missing the point of this. Our main goal right now is to get Nintendo to recognize our community is still has a strong showing for this game, winning may be unrealistic. But we still have an opportunity to show that Melee, for 12 years is still one of Nintendo's greatest successes. That is what we are tweeting this for. We didn't stop trying at Evo. Why drop the ball now?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
random note, i wouldnt exactly mind items, people would still play fast.
any type of melee/barlw/64 would be a good opportunity

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
No one should mind anything, as long as any smash game gets there, we will have a competitive showing

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Oh that sounds like a great motivation then. Sorry to have wasted your time sir

Britex

Smash Apprentice
If we managed to get into evo after all what's happened, then we can get Melee anywhere. There's no reason not to comment or to not be vocal about our community.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
if anything it'll be smash 4, with a bad ruleset, but that's better than nothing.

Nintendo acknowledging that the competitive community even EXISTS is a big step in the right direction.

Top Bottom