• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Sonic's jab lock vs Snake

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Now first off i apologize beforehand if you are all getting sick of the footstool fad ( I am myself), but as most Sonic mains know, its fairly easy to get a footstool out of our side-B. I wanted to discuss Sonic's basic jab lock, as you all know is SD>footstool>spring dair>jab lock, on Snake. I happened to get a jab lock on my friend the other day, (not that big of a deal) and after 17% i allowed him to auto stand up and I reversed the jab lock, and brought him to the side of the stage. Now usually I would charge a smash and let that be, however given that snake lives to ridiculous percentages I wanted to attempt a gimp. I decided on ending the lock with a dtilt then jab canceled away to siphon his double jump. Needless to say, that put snake in a horrific position. Now my inquiry to Sonic mains is; is there any possible way we can make such a setup viable. I know the matchup is approx. 40:60 ( which i dont agree with being that sonic is the best air chaser in the game imo), but is this something that could benefit us in any way?

Discuss.

Edit: AH NAOO THE KING OF POP IS GONE! RIP MR. JACKSON

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It depends on how often you can get the jab lock to happen. Would SD hop > footstool > fast falled Nair > jab lock work too?

Tenki

Smash Hero
It depends on how often you can get the jab lock to happen. Would SD hop > footstool > fast falled Nair > jab lock work too?
That only works on ROB, since the aerial footstool makes Sonic start out closer to the floor, and ROB's size lets the weakened N-air hit before he can perform moves - that is, assuming you do the footstool at a certain height (not directly above the ground)

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Yeah but I've been told that it works reliably against Bowser and Dedede too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Correct. Since Bowser's so huge, it's fairly simple to footstool and nair jablock him. Dedede, on the other hand, has the same issue as Bowser, but since he isn't as fat, the timing is much tighter.

You practically have to be frame perfect to nail a nair lock on Dedede.

And Tenki summed up the deal with ROB, so that's that.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
So have you guys implented this into your game vs these characters? And whats your suggestion on the standard spring>jab lock guys? Vs snake ive been able to get it pretty consistently.

Browny

Smash Hater
wth tenki... first you say theres no such thing as the nair jab lock set up on ROB, and now you do?

Umby

Smash Master
Footstool combos are too gimmicky to be effectively put to use often, IMO. We're already playing with quite a gimmicky character to begin with. If you happen to get into position for it though, I'd say go for it. Refreshing moves/setting up for edgeguarding through a jab lock isn't really a bad deal.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Would a SDR > jump > foot stool > spring > dair set up for a jab lock? SLOW works reliable on some characters so...

Tenki

Smash Hero
wth tenki... first you say theres no such thing as the nair jab lock set up on ROB, and now you do?
lol, the setup exists.

it's just either really hard to land or impossible if ROB DI's away from you -

like if you're footstooling him from the left, he DI's to the right.

also, slopes like YI screw it up.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I read (we) from Umby.

Does that mean he dropped Martha stewart...

Nah not really slash probably not, and yeah sure this might be gimmicky, but if it works (on your opponent) and you get the chance slash it actually works, there is no reason not to use it.

Working mah way from the bottom up with the time I have left..

Top Bottom