• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Redesign Melee's Roster

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Inspired by three other threads, now we're doing the same but with Melee, assuming it had another year of development. Only a couple rules:
  1. No characters older than 2002
  2. No more than 25 characters (or 26 depending on if you count Zelda and Sheik as separate characters)
(Italics bold denotes unlockable characters)
Mario​
Luigi
Peach​
Bowser​
Wario
Yoshi​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Falco
PIkachu​
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Scizor​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Ayumi Tachibana
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Since this is assuming more development time, here is my modified roster.
MeleeRosterRedone2.png

I kept Zelda and Sheik as they as the gimmick is cool, and I could polish it a bit to make them closer to Pokemon Trainer where one doesn’t overpower the other.
Ice Climbers are like Zelda/Sheik where the double team gimmick is a cool idea.
Dr. Mario seemed the most expendable, and I removed Pichu partially from Fire Emblem bias, but also because Binding Blade might be more important to promote than Jhoto (In retrospect, Roy does become a popular fighter).
In place of Pichu and Dr. Mario, I just tacked on the two most requested fighters who missed the actual roster.
For Ganondorf, make with it how you want him to play as.

My Melee roster where I used more realistic time constraints is in this thread.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Roster (Bold are newcomers)
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Wario
  6. Yoshi
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Link
  10. Zelda
  11. Ganondorf
  12. Samus
  13. Kirby
  14. Fox
  15. Falco
  16. Pikachu
  17. Jigglypuff
  18. Mewtwo
  19. Heracross (Gen 2 pick)
  20. Ness
  21. Captain Falcon
  22. Ice Climbers
  23. Ayumi
  24. Marth
  25. Mr. Game & Watch

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I'd probably change this on a whim every other week, but here's my proposal for right now, presuming rights issues are all solved ahead of time. Also, even though I'm cutting Sheik, I'll still limit myself to the same number of physical slots on the character select screen - 25 - and then presume that the development time that could have gone to another character instead goes to implementing some more stages or something of the like.

Characters in green are included from the original with no changes.
Characters in yellow get significant changes, but remain in the roster.
Characters in red get cut completely, but may appear as Trophies.
Characters in purple are complete newcomers to the roster.

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Link
Zelda
Fox
Wolf
Ness
Sukapon
Kirby
King Dedede
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Marill
Olimar
Lip
Marth

First up, character changes:
  • Mario gets his F.L.U.D.D. down special from future games, and gets a couple of elements from Super Mario Sunshine for flair.
  • Luigi likewise gets a tether grab with the Poltergust, and overall gets a couple of additional elements from Luigi's Mansion.
  • Zelda has had Sheik removed, and now is intended to stand as her own character, with her magical power being the focus of her kit.
  • Fox is now in his Adventures design. Nothing else of note.
  • Kirby has a few more classic Copy Abilities across his toolkit for some of his normal attacks.
  • Samus has been tweaked to better-represent classic Metroid's gameplay, and her design is from Metroid Prime.
  • Ganondorf has been decloned and is now more closely based on his Ocarina of Time appearance. No trident, and no sword. (The sword doesn't make sense anyway, it was only included because the model for it existed after it was made specifically for the Spaceworld 2000 demo.)
Next up, character cuts:
  • Sheik has been removed from Zelda's moveset so as to let Zelda's own moveset develop.
  • Ice Climbers have been replaced by another "retro rep".
  • Dr. Mario has been removed as a somewhat unnecessary clone, functionally replaced with Lip.
  • Young Link was deemed unnecessary compared to other inclusions.
  • Falco was replaced with Wolf so as to allow for more villainous characters in the roster.
  • Pichu was replaced with a more unique Gen II Pokémon.
  • Roy was replaced with another particularly recent newcomer.
And lastly, new character inclusions:
  • Wario acts as a representative of the Wario Land series, pulling from across that series to have a moveset distinct from Mario's.
  • King Dedede is introduced as a Kirby "antagonist", partially due to his unique combination of heavyweight and lightweight characteristics.
  • Marill was selected as a Gen II Pokémon due to their prominence in the anime, plus their as-of-yet-unique Water typing.
  • Wolf is chosen to better act as a "villainous" pick to counter Fox, and has a more unique moveset that only occasionally calls back to Fox's.
  • Sukapon replaces Ice Climbers as a retro rep in recognition of their popularity in the "Smash 2" poll, plus their currently unique fighting game genre.
  • Lip replaces Dr. Mario as the de-facto "puzzle game" rep and brings a fresh take on the "mage" archetype in the process.
  • Olimar represents the fairly new Pikmin IP - it was either him or someone from Animal Crossing, but Pikmin felt more involved and natural. For both balancing and processing reasons, he only has three Pikmin at a time instead of five - the classic red, blue and yellow trio.
By the way, with this in mind, some of the in-game content would also change. I won't delve into it here, but I'd say that Fire Emblem would get its own stage as well as Animal Crossing and Pikmin, Sprout Tower presumably gets in, and so do stages based around the Wario, Joy Mech Fight and Panel de Pon series.

So, yeah! Hope this is an interesting insight, at least.

Last edited:

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Mine:
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
6. Yoshi
7. Wario
8. Donkey Kong
9. Link