• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Failure

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
So, I've been playing King DeDeDe for a while, and I figured it was time for me to test my skills with him in For Glory.

I ended up against a seriously good Pikachu player. It came down to one stock, me at 118% and him at 36%.

He lost when he tried to take me down with a meteor smash, missed, and couldn't recover.

What situations have you experienced where you won or lost because of poor recovery?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Every match against Little Mac, I win because I abuse his recovery. Same for a lot of characters, really. Recoveries are double-edged, since a lot of them are strong, it's also easy to chase people offstage and gimp them or just keep knocking them off.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sometimes I try to tether grab the ledge with Samus, but for some reason she does her fair instead and then dies thereafter.

Tamire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tamire
3DS FC
0619-3125-1372
Same thing happens to me with Samus. I don't understand why it happens but its annoying.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
When I'm playing Zelda and her Farores Wind doesn't autosnap.....

Raijinken

Smash Master
Same thing happens to me with Samus. I don't understand why it happens but its annoying.
It's because Grab is Shield+Attack.

I have no idea why this only happens sometimes, though. Maybe due to endlag perfectly overlapping with the shield command but not the attack command? (It is, computationally speaking, impossible for both inputs to be identically timed). Just theorycrafting, but that could be what causes it to occasionally not use the tether.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Seems to me the most common fail recovery isnt the player's fault, but the game randomly deciding "You didnt want to grab that ledge right?" and falling past it too far to recover before realizing you didnt get it. Happens to my DK all the damn time.

Been noticing less and less suicides on the player's fault. Usually its littlemac if ever because sideb lawls.

Niner

Smash Cadet
I've launch-starred away from the edge as Rosalina mostly due to the awkwardness of the circle pad. I've seen it happen plenty of other times to others as well. Here's hoping the 'cube controller will fix that.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
I've lost quite a few times with Ness in FG due to the unbearable lag and the other player not taking a hint and backing away until the lag goes away. This has backfired on them a few times when I do get the PK Thunder right and hit them with it.

They leave shortly after for WHATEVER reason.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I thought only the cloud can meteor. Do people really jump off the edge to get hit someone with the cloud? That's intense.
That is correct, only the cloud can meteor. I never tried doing that, gimping with bair is much safer than trying to land the "Thunder Meteor".

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Footstooling puts you in a really long helpless state IMO. I've died to it a decent amount of times and have done it to others as well. Sometimes I don't even get a chance to use Up-Special due to how long you're helpless. Best moment I've had was doing a low % spike with :4falcon: while fast falling I actually was chasing my opponent downwards without realizing it so when I tried to recover myself with my air jump I footstooled them. Yes, this replay was successfully saved :]

Last edited:

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing Little Mac a bit against level 9 comps, and AI keep losing from accidently using my sideB near a ledge. For all of the talk about LM being too broken, one wrong move while recovering can easily make the game.

Also, from what I understand, I believe you can deflect the sideB with Mario's cape.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Aside from the circle pad screw-ups, in this game I really seem to have my 2nd jump taken away from me. If I try to gimp someone and I jump off an edge, I seem to always jump the moment I 'fall' off the edge which means I used up my only jump. Happens so much. I never really had this problem before. I can only say it's because I didn't jump before the platform ends, but I swear countless times I'm not falling off. I dunno.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
At first there were a handful of instances where I wasn't used to the circle pad, and so had some epic recovery fails that way (and it happened to my opponent just as often)

But by far, by far, the most painful was the time that I didn't realise how Pac-Man's up B worked, and so fell through his trampoline and instantly became helpless, dying at a pitifully low percent.

The real kicker? I was playing as JIGGLYPUFF at the time. :(

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
:4zelda:Dying using Din's fire BECAUSE IT PUTS YOU INTO SPECIAL FALL, what is up with that. (Short hop Din's fire is awfully fun.)

Also

:4ness:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
:4zelda:Dying using Din's fire BECAUSE IT PUTS YOU INTO SPECIAL FALL, what is up with that. (Short hop Din's fire is awfully fun.)
I second that. The gamecube controls can't come soon enough... the 3DS stick still kills me whenever it feels like trolling me.

"you meant to side-b while you're super far from the stage, right? RIGHT?!
Here you go :7"

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
When I'm playing Zelda and her Farores Wind doesn't autosnap.....
Let go of the circle pad after she poofs. If you aimed it right, she will autosnap. You can still have her autosnap while teleporting diagonally down, but it requires a lot more accuracy compared to easily teleporting diagonally up/straight up. Hint hint, wink wink.

Last edited:

TheLetsPlayGhost

Smash Rookie
When I try to recover with Greninja, often times I will accidentally use his side special instead of his up special. This pretty much causes me to lose too much altitude to make up for it. It seems so easy to use his side special by mistake. I don't have that problem with any other character.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Lag disrupting Pacman's trajectory after bouncing on his trampoline often kills me in online matches. Also, being even slightly off the grab range of the ledge when using Pac's side-b causes him to tumble into the bottom corner of the stage where it is impossible to recover.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I cannot tell you how many times I've lost a FG match because my second QA didn't register or took me at the wrong angle...

Sometimes I try to tether grab the ledge with Samus, but for some reason she does her fair instead and then dies thereafter.
Used to happen with me as Link, but I realized you're better off not using L. I believe you can just use R + A. It never fails.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser Jr.'s third jump can really mess up opposing vertical recoveries. You accidentally fall off the stage and try to recover, only for the Koopa Clown Car to explode in your face. And apparently, not even Rosalina is safe from this incident.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
Hehe.. Sheiks grenade instead of Bouncing Fish or Vanish...
so.. many... times...

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Shield shulk... Nuff said
Shooting Rosie backwards by accident

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's even more painful with Launch Star Attack, since that custom special move can never travel straight up, and its momentum does stop upon ending, which screws you up even more if you're too far away to grab any ledges. And of course, Launch Star Attack doesn't travel as far as the normal Launch Star.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
It's even more painful with Launch Star Attack, since that custom special move can never travel straight up, and its momentum does stop upon ending, which screws you up even more if you're too far away to grab any ledges. And of course, Launch Star Attack doesn't travel as far as the normal Launch Star.
It's only fair, I guess, since Rosa has:
a big ledge grab reach
a tall frame
floaty jumps
low gravity

Tho... Everyone has dumbdicolous recovery except Little Mac so that's not too unique or impressive.

Top Bottom