• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering against Game and Watch

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
This is my first post in the Ike boards. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintances. Hopefully, what I'm about to say won't have me make a total *** of myself. Also, if this has been posted before, the search button was literally broken for me.
Now, on to my actual point.

The the character match-up thread, it summarized the Game and Watch match up by saying spacing was the key. The entire summary was very general, the only thing mentioned of recoveries is that Game and Watch has a "good" recovery. Or something like that.

However, Game and Watch has incredibly good recovery, as most have probably discovered by now. He can use both his double jumps and his Up-b to get as far from the stage as possible, and still make it back. Meaning that he can screw with Ike easily offstage.

Now, standard recovery procedure with Ike (horizontally) is to air dodge and jump as fast as possible. Then, you float down to the stage, and use your Up-b to grab onto the edge, if needed.

Ike's recovery has to go straight up.
Ike can't recover if he is more than an inch away from the stage.
Game and Watch can spend a lot of time off stage.
Thus, Game and Watch can freaking gimp Ike so hard.

When using Aether to recover, you're supposed to wait until the move puts you right at the edge, so you can't be attacked while you hang out at the top of your arch. So, G&W can
A)From the moment he launches you off the stage, run off, do his double jump, and Up-B into you by the time you're barely out of the bubble zone,
and then if that doesn't work,
B) Grab onto the edge. Wait until you're half way back to the stage, far from the ability to recover, and then screw with you by dropping off the edge, doing and aerial attack to knock you back (not usually very far, just to make you lose your height), up-b back to the edge, and drop off again.

Once again, G&W moves fast. Very very very fast. For Ike, at least. Recovering like you normally do does not work.

So, what is Ike to do? Well, you can give up defeat, and allow G&W to go on and slaughter your friends (NEVER!), or try some EXTREMELY unorthodox methods that sound plain ******** on paper. Lucky for you, no one EVER expects you to act like a total ******. They expect opponents to be smart. So something will actual work a few times when you mix them up, and allow you to extend your life a bit.

Idiot Strategy One
Quickdraw recovery! Aw yeah, when's the last time anyone used this more than that one time after trying Ike for the first time? Ok, yes, it is gimpable like a mother, but it's still useful. The trick is that you need plenty of height. The enemy is always going to expect you to wait and use Aether, so instead, you airdodge, jump, and Quickdraw. Don't charge. You'll need some charge, but charging even for a full second will both get rid of your momentum and let the enemy know what you're doing, leading to gimpage.

Reasoning: Quick draw is only a bad recovery move because it is gimped by having the enemy jump into it. If you try and hit the enemy, you lose all momentum, and you're just as screwed as Captain Falcon Raptor Boosting off the edge. Using it right after the Airdodge>Jump you use to recover will make you use it before the enemy matches your height, so they won't gimp you.
Quickdraw should NOT be used to cover the entire distance between you and the stage. That takes too long to charge, and the reason for using it is to get on the opposite side of G&W, so he can't kncok you back to the blast zone more.

Idiot Strategy Two
Counter is the best move ever! Use it constantly, and you're invincible, right?
Ok, not really. But it can be used to protect yourself when off the edge. Don't use counter when you're too far from the stage, you'll never make it back. But, if Game and Watch is underneath you (with room between you two), COUNTER. He can only use two moves from below you at that point, up-aerial and up-b. Up-aerial is a gust of wind that will only send you upwards without taking any damage (unless used at point blank), and that would only help you. The other is Up-B. Up-B has invincibility frames until then end, as far as I know. You won't hurt him with an aerial attack. Counter will knock him away and let you recover.

Idiot Strategy Three
Use B! Whatever the name of it is. It's the same principle as the counter strategy, really. However, it's more powerful, and it can help mix up your moves and confuse the enemy. It takes longer to execute than counter, though. So be careful. You might end up falling too far.

Idiot Strategy Four
AETHER! YEAH! Suck it, Game and Watch! Yeah, I'm way the hell away from the stage. I know. Recover? Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Oh. What are you complaining for? I'm the one that suicided. It's not my fault you decided to be near me when it happened.
High damage? Too low to recover? Is that cocky player screwing with you that close to the edge? Go ahead and do it. You're going to die either way.

Reasoning: You're dead, and you know it. Do it. For great justice.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
Reversed Aether is our best bet
Great choice, but high risk of sucide, oh well better then nothing.
Fair if G&W has high %damage, cuz you might kill him if you bounced him off the stage, with the effect of possibly killing yourself.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Ok, after quickly looking up Reversed Aether....

No, it wouldn't work. Not in the situations I'm talking about. I am talking about G&W attacking you long before aether has any chance of getting you back to the stage. The man I play against will never allow you to recover with it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ok, after quickly looking up Reversed Aether....

No, it wouldn't work. Not in the situations I'm talking about. I am talking about G&W attacking you long before aether has any chance of getting you back to the stage. The man I play against will never allow you to recover with it.
If you're recovering from that high/far and he's attacking you with FAir, you can FAir without double jumping and still make it back to the stage. If he's hitting you with up+B, then try SDI'ing upwards; it doesn't have that much horizontal knockback when DI'd properly, so your only fear should be dying off the top.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
If you're recovering from that high/far and he's attacking you with FAir, you can FAir without double jumping and still make it back to the stage. If he's hitting you with up+B, then try SDI'ing upwards; it doesn't have that much horizontal knockback when DI'd properly, so your only fear should be dying off the top.

You're AREN'T recovering from quite that high up. You ARE recovering from that far. The bubble zone. The distance I am talking about will leave you dead if you don't double jump.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Midair jump fair before he hits you OR air dodge to the lowest point where aether can recover.

Try to SAVE your 2nd jump.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Midair jump fair before he hits you OR air dodge to the lowest point where aether can recover.

Try to SAVE your 2nd jump.

The best way to recover with Ike is to instantly airdodge and jump to get rid of all the momentum possible. You don't always need to do this, of course, but this is for the situations where you do. Fair would only work if he has plenty of damage, as he would be right back out there to screw with you in an instant.

For the airdodge, my point has repeatedly that Game and Watch will unmercifully **** you if you try and recover in the standard way. These strategies you've told me work when you aren't knocked too far back, when my strategies shouldn't (normally) be applied.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The best way to recover with Ike is to instantly airdodge and jump to get rid of all the momentum possible. You don't always need to do this, of course, but this is for the situations where you do. Fair would only work if he has plenty of damage, as he would be right back out there to screw with you in an instant.

For the airdodge, my point has repeatedly that Game and Watch will unmercifully **** you if you try and recover in the standard way. These strategies you've told me work when you aren't knocked too far back, when my strategies shouldn't (normally) be applied.
just because its the best way doesn't mean its the SAFEST way

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
just because its the best way doesn't mean its the SAFEST way

Just because it's the best way doesn't mean it's the only way.

Look, I know I am not the best player here. My opinion is not more important than anyone else's here, unless they are a total and complete fool. The reason I've posted this is because I have honestly encountered the situation where this was the ONLY way to recover. The situation is not terribly common, but it did happen.

If you can jump and then do an aerial, knock him back, and then recover, that's fine and dandy. It's a better choice if it works anyway. You want to do that every single time? He's going to learn what's up real quickly. All he needs to do is up-b right after you jump, and you won't be able to hurt him, like I said in my original post.
______

Ok, I didn't quite have a coherent thought there in that post. But just understand this: When you play against a good G&W, and you start to have trouble recovering because he's screwing with you so much, remember what I said here and think about its possible application.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You're AREN'T recovering from quite that high up. You ARE recovering from that far. The bubble zone. The distance I am talking about will leave you dead if you don't double jump.
Given that the KO boundaries are rectangles, I think from what you just said you're being knocked near the side of the rectangle, but not necessarily the corner of the rectangle (for example, if the rectangle were bounded by coordinate points (2,0), (2,1), (-2,1), and (-2,0), you're being knocked somewhere close to (-1.7, .5)). In that case, try DI'ing higher so that you gain control around (-1.8, .8); from there you should be high enough to allow for some airdodging or FAirs. Also, if you're recovering high enough that you can use Counter or Eruption and make it back, you can definitely use FAir and save your double jump for later.

I could be mis-interpreting you, but from the scenarios you posted (A and B), it sounds like you're just having a DI issue. Option A is covered by DI'ing upwards, as well as option B; if he's starting on the edge, he can only use BAir, NAir, and UAir to mess with you, all of which can be DI'd upwards so that the affect on your recovery is minimal.

Again, I could be mis-interpreting you; it'd be best to post a video of you getting edgeguarded so we can see where your problem is, rather than outlining the situation.

Top Bottom