• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommend playing cpu?

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
Level 9 cpu is a super-machine with reflexes faster than the time it takes to click the buttons necessary to pull off the moves they do and a relentless playing style. Because of this, I am wondering: If I want to get better at brawl, should I play level 9 cpu, or should I go online and hone skills there?

Thoughts?

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
Well, after having the game for a week or two, I've honed enough skill to 3-stock a level 9, although they have unnatural skill, if you practice to the point where level 9s are easy, you're skill will have dramatically increased in it's self. Stick with level 9s for now until people reach a point where level 9 sux, then play against those people

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Lvl9s can be exploited and possess worse stupid AI loops on certain stages than Kirby and Fox on Temple in Melee. If you have a decent connection and time to spare, go online. If you absolutely HAVE to fight a CPU, try Lvl7-8. They don't possess most of the AI loops Lvl9s do and play a bit more like actual people.

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks guys! I'll admit, I've got a lot of playing to do before level 9 sux. But I'm sure I'll get too frustrated at times and so I'll have to play some real people from time to time.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
If you absolutely HAVE to fight a CPU, try Lvl7-8. They don't possess most of the AI loops Lvl9s do and play a bit more like actual people.
I'll have to try this. Do you know what happens when you reduce the level of a CPU? I mean, do they lose overall skill, or in this case, just the insane reflexes of the Lv. 9s?

Also, if you want basic training with an opponent but don't want one who just stands still (i.e. Training Mode), try fighting Lv. 1 CPUs. At least they try and control their falls.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
level 9 is the only level that has superhuman reflexes...but i think each cpu level was programmed separately because they all play pretty differently. the only thing that I recommend playing against level 9 cpus is getting yourself used to fighting while under pressure, and also to practice combos, as level 9 cpus will generally counter anything that's not a true combo. but i wouldn't practice my techniques or a pproaches on a level 9 or any cpus because even if they don't use superhuman reflexes, they dont keep up with the developing metagame and won't respond in the way that humans will.

playing online is clearly the better choice though.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I think you should play level 9's. Although fighting real humans would be better practice for an actual game, many players that go online are truthfully not that great. I find it more of a challenge to fight level 9's. If you want to excel at fighting humans, online is clearly the better choice, but if you want to improve your overall skill, then fight level 9's.

Another tactic I use while training on level 9's is stamina mode. If you fight one level 9 in stamina mode, it is good training to set your stamina to 100 and theirs to 300.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
I think you all overestimate lvl 9s...I can now kill any lvl 9 without taking damage. How? I follow their patterns. With Metaknight, just fair x 5 until they cant recover, repeat. It's not hard.

Tbh the only good option is someone else right next to you; but for us who dont have anyone, online can be useful.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
No, PLEASE ignore the advice of anybody that tells you to face a level 9, or that facing level 9s will help you.

It does NOT help you. At all.

If you absolutely MUST play a CPU opponent, face a level 3 MAXIMUM. Anything above that will turn into spam A fest, randomized up+b in the middle of the stage, and glitchy deaths, and broken reaction time. It does not help at all to fight a level 9. Unless of course you are training to fight more level 9s. They do not possess human learning patterns at all, so spamming the same combo over and over again on a CPU, being able to 3 stock it with that combo in a 3 stock match, it WILL NOT HELP YOU.

I don't know how many times I have reiterated this point. Fight human players as often as you can. People recognize patterns and take advantage of them. Computer players do not. CPUs should only be practiced again for combo timing. That's it. Nothing more. Fight human players, not CPUs.

blitzjg

Smash Rookie
I think you all overestimate lvl 9s...I can now kill any lvl 9 without taking damage. How? I follow their patterns. With Metaknight, just fair x 5 until they cant recover, repeat. It's not hard.

Tbh the only good option is someone else right next to you; but for us who dont have anyone, online can be useful.
Well try taking into account that they are a computer program and they will attempt the same things over and over again, so why should you act like a computer yourself? When your skill is supposed to be developing for play against humans, attack repetition weakens moves and stuff, if your like the TC he is trying to improve his skills and what you said does completely the opposite except improve timing.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
No, PLEASE ignore the advice of anybody that tells you to face a level 9, or that facing level 9s will help you.

It does NOT help you. At all.

If you absolutely MUST play a CPU opponent, face a level 3 MAXIMUM. Anything above that will turn into spam A fest, randomized up+b in the middle of the stage, and glitchy deaths, and broken reaction time. It does not help at all to fight a level 9. Unless of course you are training to fight more level 9s. They do not possess human learning patterns at all, so spamming the same combo over and over again on a CPU, being able to 3 stock it with that combo in a 3 stock match, it WILL NOT HELP YOU.

I don't know how many times I have reiterated this point. Fight human players as often as you can. People recognize patterns and take advantage of them. Computer players do not. CPUs should only be practiced again for combo timing. That's it. Nothing more. Fight human players, not CPUs.
Humans are always better, even if they suck. I think you don't give the lvl 9s enough credit though. none of that random crap ever happens to me.

Dnato

Smash Rookie
your better off versin people
1. people know advance techs
2. many people can easy coms

6footninja

Smash Ace
Well, after having the game for a week or two, I've honed enough skill to 3-stock a level 9, although they have unnatural skill, if you practice to the point where level 9s are easy, you're skill will have dramatically increased in it's self. Stick with level 9s for now until people reach a point where level 9 sux, then play against those people
very well said my friend

Baky

Smash Journeyman
The level 9 computer tend to give complications depending on the matchup of characters. On melee in particular you could use gannondorf and spam dair and all computer players would fail to react correctly. On this game, you can still do such but not as often. Computers fight more realistically but they tend to do a few stupid things. I personally find level 9 computer fairly difficult but I attempt to fight them with a style relative to what I use vs real people and practice new combos.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Well try taking into account that they are a computer program and they will attempt the same things over and over again, so why should you act like a computer yourself? When your skill is supposed to be developing for play against humans, attack repetition weakens moves and stuff, if your like the TC he is trying to improve his skills and what you said does completely the opposite except improve timing.
I know it improves nothing.

THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY POST.

I wasnt trying to brag that i can beat level 9s, i was saying that they dont offer any kind of challenge and get you into bad habits.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Really, try pikachu at lvl 9. The only bot I can't three stock. However, I've only faced him like 4 times. Last one was with my main, ZSS; won 3-1. I can three stock any other bot so far except pikachu.

The exploits are unbelievable. The way I go against lvl 9's is no items, Final Desination or Battlfield, and sometimes that old Starfox level from Melee.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I vary what the CPUs level are. Level 9 isn't that tough, but I spam aerial attacks or smash attacks to win. Playing with friends or online is a much better way to train tho.

Leth

Smash Rookie
Really, try pikachu at lvl 9. The only bot I can't three stock. However, I've only faced him like 4 times. Last one was with my main, ZSS; won 3-1. I can three stock any other bot so far except pikachu.

The exploits are unbelievable. The way I go against lvl 9's is no items, Final Desination or Battlfield, and sometimes that old Starfox level from Melee.
^^ I 3-stocked a lvl 9 pikachu. Took me 5 attempts. Did it by gimping his recovery - the way it uses quick attack is somewhat predictable.

Yeah, level 9s are great practice, -if you play them like real people- and don't attempt to exploit their programming. And they do a lot of very neat stuff. Example - they always make it hard to shieldgrab them by using aerials that go through your sheild and end up behind you. More human players should do that~ And they really know how to DI to mess with your comboing.

Birthday Suit Samus

Smash Rookie
Level 9 cpu is a super-machine with reflexes faster than the time it takes to click the buttons necessary to pull off the moves they do and a relentless playing style. Because of this, I am wondering: If I want to get better at brawl, should I play level 9 cpu, or should I go online and hone skills there?

Thoughts?

Well, according to my friend, Smashboards is notorious for having good players, so adding friend codes here may help you to get better. However, in Brawl, LVL 9s are good practice. I say this because in Brawl they've been equipped with power shielding, shield grabbing, short hopping, etc. Because of this, practice against them helps you get a superior handling on all of these advanced technicques, and also learn how to combat them. It's good practice.

Blackslash25

Smash Rookie
The Lvl 9. Cpu really got an upgrade. When Ifirst got the game they were kicking my *** but you get used to there insane pressuring techs you get better at defensive play I believe. You should play Lvl 9's just dont overplay them.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
balance it out. fight lvl9 here and there then go online. sure they have loops but they teach u things. wanna learn fox but u have no idea what hes about, fight lvl 9 fox and see a basic rundown of what he does. take that knowledge, work with it til ur comfortable, and head online. overplaying them can lead to predictability, and extreme frustration though. just find the balance.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Unfortunately, playing online won't always give you a good practice run because a LOT of the people on 'With Anyone' are total scrubs. Your best bet, as many people have said, is to find someone within your community or who is readily available on Wi-Fi who can spar with you on a regular basis. The more people, the better. It helped me a LOT in Melee.

Satoz

Smash Rookie
Personally I find lvl 9's to be good training in certain respects, but not so much in others. I see many people talking about exploiting their AI, now you may say that makes them easy, but if you fight them based on flaws on their AI of course they will lose. If you fight them without those, or at least not targeting them, you get a much better fight against. Lets face it, a lvl 9 cpu does have some nice reaction times, and some even inhuman, like charging a smash as you warp towards them with metaknight at just the right time. This has helped me react and defend more, as well as try and use trick moves to draw out an attack, which does work on humans. The problem is like most people said, they dont act like humans in certain ways, such as reacting to repeating combos, or learning your moves. For example they will almost always smash up after you fall, or at least jump to meet you, if you have marth and ike its easy to counterattack each time this happens, where a player may learn to not attack always.... so the trick is to not simply lay back and say " well i can just do this, and their AI doesnt do anything about it" but to try and fight it without these tricks, and pretend you do have to variate your moves.

Of course its often better to fight people, but before you do so, I recommend fighting every cpu at lvl 9 at least twice (or once if you fight a long match) to see some of the possibilities of moves. I for example saw mario use his cape constantly after flying off of a cliff, and got forward enough to use upb and recovered, which taught me something. However i do agree their is no substitute for a player, as even a bad player can help you hone skills

nightSN

Smash Ace
i remember back in the day when i got melee and had nobody to play with so i just played lvl 9 for like.. 2 years? LOL and the lvl 9's tought me alot of basics and helped me with developing into power shielding and i even got into edgehogging o.o even though they never did it. and then i started to learn AT and was playing other people and did very well even without the AT but when i learned the AT and got to use to it i started too lose alot to lvl9's which i use to never lose a stock on. so in a way it is good to play lvl 9's because you develop all the basic skills and see how other characters are played out but just dont over play it like me in melee -.- LOL

MoldinMindz

Smash Cadet
Computers can help you learn char matchups, priority of moves and practice your reflexes. However, every human opponent you face will require a slightly different strategy based on how they play the game. I enjoy playing balanced to aggressive players and get really bored w/ defensive campy players.

tense

Smash Cadet
Find a set group of people, either friends in real life or online buddies, to play against for practice. Fighting the same people often can give y'all your own metagame and make you learn about all your character's options quicker.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The point in fighting the A.I. is not to win, but to practice against their super human reflexes. Of course exploiting the stupidity of the CPU under certain circumstances does you no good, and it obviously won't work on a real person.

I'd recommend playing against a level 9 CPU not for creating strategies, but just for learning to fight against something that will react perfectly to anything, assuming you don't abuse it and force it into stupidity loops first.

When it comes to making strategies and preparing to fight actual players, and not just personal training, online will be a much better option.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
The point in fighting the A.I. is not to win, but to practice against their super human reflexes. Of course exploiting the stupidity of the CPU under certain circumstances does you no good, and it obviously won't work on a real person.

I'd recommend playing against a level 9 CPU not for creating strategies, but just for learning to fight against something that will react perfectly to anything, assuming you don't abuse it and force it into stupidity loops first.

When it comes to making strategies and preparing to fight actual players, and not just personal training, online will be a much better option.

I greatly agree with the first part.

Lv 9 computers greatly increase your ability to deal with unpredictable situations.

However, I also think they're good for creating strategies.

Computers tend to use the character's skills to their advantage.

They're more human than you think.

When you think Pit or one of the spacies, you see projectile spammers with some heavy physical, and that's exactly what the computer does. It's good for character comparison among other things.

When I play against computers, I don't go in with the mindset that I have to win no matter what it takes.

I know humans won't be horribly predictable with their recovery, so most of the match, I'll be trying to figure out how to adapt to someone who blocks and dodges a lot with superhuman reflexes.

It's the best training I can think of.

Not to mention, I only played against computers for a week with MK, then won a tournament with him. I wasn't just prepared, I was overprepared. The only humans I played online against, I lagged pretty badly with. That's not training... A game with lag isn't a good representation of real brawling...

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
i agree with anyone that says playing people are the better choice because it absolutely is..... however.... i dont think playing comps are such a bad thing what i believe is playing ANYthing person or computer cronically.... meaning always playing the same people or always playing the same comps ...... this will only let you develope habbits and you will not evolve much as a player compared to playing as many different types of players as you can, good or bad.
however playing better human players is the best way for you to improve your OVERALL game...... playing worst players lets you experiment more to find new combos, techniques, etc...:chuckle:

Top Bottom