• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rebd121's Video Thread

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I like your Zelda! You landed a lot of kicks at the beginning, yay!

I'd say add Dsmash into your game. I don't think you used it once in your vid.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have trouble with using DSmash. I love the move, but I don't seem to ever use it. I have problems timing it.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Do you have c-stick set to smash? The most effective way to use Dsmash is with the cstick. Dtilt lock->dsmash, spotdodge->dsmash, and dsmash in general is way too good xD

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Do you have c-stick set to smash? The most effective way to use Dsmash is with the cstick. Dtilt lock->dsmash, spotdodge->dsmash, and dsmash in general is way too good xD
Yeah, I have C-Stick Smash. I'll try those out next time I play. Thanks!

Takumaru

Smash Lord
You walked into too many of his attacks. Your style consists of fsmashs, din's fire, dash attacks, and up smashes. You need to grab more and use more tilts (at least utilt and dtilt). There were so many mistakes that both of you made that neither of you capitalized on and the rolling looked like you weren't thinking about what you were doing at all. Around 5:30 is the biggest example of this. He uses counter and what do you do? You rolled away. Was this match on wifi? It was really sloppy. You did have some nice kicks and uairs in there.

My general advice summed up: think about what you're doing more. Try to expand your arsenal. Pay closer attention to what your opponent is doing and don't play such a sloppy roll game.

Sorry if it was harsh.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Is it bad that I'm more thinking about the lucario's bad habits rather than what you could improve on? You chase in the air quite a bit, laterally to boot, attempting to grant yourself that 1 extra kick. This normally would be impossible to do but your opponent DI's poorly, takes bait like mad, and has a lot of bad defense habits (not blocking obvious farore's winds or stepping aside, for one). Furthermore, the guy seems to forget what a great spacing tool lucario's fair is, since I havent seen it yet. That dash -> din's was kind of a "huh?" moment.

My personal advice would be to stop aiming to hit people with farore's wind, it's a habit that is nice and all while it still works, but will act against you when you need to break the habit because your friends finally caught on (he did at one point then went and ate the next one...). Also cut down on those dash attacks, try walking into some ftilts or a dash grab or even an f/n-air approach into nayru's (a move I didnt see much at all, mostly because neither of you stayed within range of eachother for more than half a second at a time, too much rolling all around). Your approach seems to be 2 moves, and both of them come out of a run. Zelda's approach game is on the weak side so limiting yourself moreso is doing yourself a huge disservice.

Was this match on wifi?
Since you can see both characters at the start and no waiting room I'm gonna go with... no

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Er... didn't pay attention to that actually. I was just trying to account for the massive amount of rolling.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I like your Zelda! You landed a lot of kicks at the beginning, yay!

I'd say add Dsmash into your game. I don't think you used it once in your vid.
like at about 1:15.... it would have killed lucario.... but he rolled backwards instead...

and you DID run into to many attacks... but overall you were a good Zelda.

and... obviously... there WERE mistakes... like suicideing with FW and whiffind some aerials because lucario was on a different side of you.... you also consistenly got hit by aura sphere and missed an EASY chance to captilize on a botched double team

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
To Takumaru: Not too harsh at all.

To Takamaru and Rykoshet: That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for with this.

I've watched this vid over and over, and I see just how novice I really seem.

I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing when I was rolling. Rolling was one of my major tactics in Melee, and it served me quite well there, but in Brawl it is too easily punished. Also, yeah, I notice that my arsenal is very limited, I do need to work on that. Of the matches that got played the night this vid was taken, that was by far not my best. I slipped too much into old practices that, even a month ago, worked against this same opponent.

I appreciate you both taking the time to watch and critique this video, and hopefully more that I post in the future won't be as... well, terrible.

To Sonic The Hedgedawg: Thanks. I'm trying to improve.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
You shoud listen to Ryko's advice...he pretty much stated everything that I was thinking.

As he said...both you and your opponent had bad habits. Whenever i play as Luacrio against a Zelda, and i notice that they're aiming for me with farore's i usually just use Lucario double team to punish them and silence that tactic...i'm surprised your opponent didn't catch on to that and use double team as well or any other punishing maneuver.

one thing i can say is that you shouldn't be using farore's every time you get hit off the stage to recover...there were plenty of times where you could've easily and safely landed on the stage or grabbed the ledge...try to be a bit less predictable with your usage of farore's. Also...don't use your dash attack too much...Ryko already mentioned it but i feel like i should say it again...find other methods of approaching...or try to predict where your opponent will go so that they end up walking/running/rolling into one of your attacks...an example of this would be knowing/predicting which way your opponent will roll and catching them in a dtilt combo.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Is it bad that I'm more thinking about the lucario's bad habits rather than what you could improve on?
It's a sign you think too much of the stupid **** I do against you.. <_< And finding one that makes more easily abuseable mistakes probably makes you go :urg:

Both of you guys: Stop running as much as you are. I literally only saw 2 types of movement: Roll, and Run. While both have their place, you can also walk (which is a good spacing tool), short hop, full hop, in directions other than towards the opponent. You can reflect his aura spheres when he throws them so obviously too. Maybe then he'd learn to be a bit more tricky with them. Also tell your Lucario friend to read Ryko's post. His spacing was kind of wtf for most of the match..

How was rolling your staple in Melee? Rolling was more punishable there, by a lot.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
You probably didn't play at a very high level. Not trying to bash you but rolling was easily punished in melee.

Jew3

Smash Rookie
I know it's already been said, but I do agree, if you add in Dsmash into your game it would help your play. Otherwise, very nice.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Heh. I've been studying this video a lot now that I'm beginning to gravitate back toward Zelda. After setting her aside and maining Toon Link for several months, I went back and played Zelda again, and was amazed by the improvement I saw. I've learned to place my DSmashes, mix up my arsenal, and fight with every move I have with fantastic results.

I hope to get some new videos up soon of my new Zelda. Thanks to everyone who critiqued me. It really helped a lot.

Top Bottom