• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Separate post, because of bad news. :crying: I'm hating to say this but...

A few hours ago, I suddenly started feeling like I got hit by a dump truck of some sorts, or maybe a Shinkuu Hadouken to the face so hard, I feel like I got a concussion. It's more of a huge headache than a concussion. :dizzy:

Also, our codes are suddenly not working like it should be, so the stream has been postponed along with the release of Reality 64 as well.

I can at least make up for it by having multiple pics of the stages I didn't show you guys yet; maybe sometime this weekend? I'm not sure, but I'm sure that we'll get it working again in no time, and so I can at least recooperate from my huge migrain! So please, be patient a little while longer! ;)

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Whenever we get the codes to start working again, I'll make a post about everything we have and what we consider mandatory before the v0.5 release. We might consider doing a v0.4, but it would likely be missing important codes such as No Spotdodging, so we would need to gauge opinions on it beforehand. We might also be able to do a "private" release where we give specific people access to playtesting, while still keeping v0.5 reserved for the first public release.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to have to decline the offer to be a part of the team for now at least, I've got too much going on already (Working on Smash Clash, 2 part time jobs and learning guitar) but I hope you guys figure out that code issue soon :)

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
This project looks like it has a large amount of potential.

If you need someone to give feedback on characters/mechanics I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
Separate post, because of bad news. :crying: I'm hating to say this but...

A few hours ago, I suddenly started feeling like I got hit by a dump truck of some sorts, or maybe a Shinkuu Hadouken to the face so hard, I feel like I got a concussion. It's more of a huge headache than a concussion. :dizzy:

Also, our codes are suddenly not working like it should be, so the stream has been postponed along with the release of Reality 64 as well.

I can at least make up for it by having multiple pics of the stages I didn't show you guys yet; maybe sometime this weekend? I'm not sure, but I'm sure that we'll get it working again in no time, and so I can at least recooperate from my huge migrain! So please, be patient a little while longer! ;)
So what's the progress on this? I'm anticipating this as much as I'm anticipating Smash 4. Are you feeling any better bud?

Vale

Smash Ace
The problem turned out to be with my loading method. We can still make the GCT file, which is what we actually need to apply the codes. So that part is fixed, at least. Not sure when @ Sluigi123 Sluigi123 will be able to stream, though. We should have an update coming relatively soon.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
The problem turned out to be with my loading method. We can still make the GCT file, which is what we actually need to apply the codes. So that part is fixed, at least. Not sure when @ Sluigi123 Sluigi123 will be able to stream, though. We should have an update coming relatively soon.
And we may have to delay the stream for a bit longer since I have to mess with a lot of textures, stages (with Luigi), and a lot of music.

Vale

Smash Ace
Update: May 5th, 2014

We've decided to make an update today to give everyone a better feeling of the work we've gotten done recently. We also want to break down where we're going from here--feel free to offer input on this.

Completed
  • As we talked about earlier, we believe our character attributes (e.g. weight, air speed) are at exact or near-exact values.
  • In addition, we've had some codes active for a while, such as no air dodging. Rather than providing a full list of things we do have, we'll note what we're working on later in the post.
  • We have the following Smash 64 Stages implemented: Duel Zone (Battlefield), Final Destination (Final Destination), Hyrule Castle (Bridge of Eldin), Sector Z (Corneria), Brinstar (Norfair), Yoshi's Story (Yoshi's Island - Brawl), Congo Jungle (Jungle Japes).
  • We have begun reverting character and stage icons. So far, we have currently implemented the stage icons and are working on the ones for characters.
  • Custom music has been used for some of the stages. This isn't something I'm directly working on, but I believe it includes the original Smash 64 bgms and custom choices by other team members.
  • Pikachu's back air animation, Yoshi's up tilt animation, and Falcon's fsmash/usmash animations have been reverted to their Smash 64 incarnations. NOTE: These are not our original animations and we would like to give thanks to the people who have publicly designed them previously. Upon our release, we will be listing a full credits. If any animations creators wish us to remove their credited work from the mod, we will do so. On that note, animations is still one of the trickiest areas for all members of our team. Feel free to throw us some recommendations, whether it be a guide so we can do things ourselves or a person who may be interested in working with us.
Known Bugs
  • Ness can still enter the charging animation for his up and down smash. He doesn't glow and the rest of the smashes seem to work with our global "no charging" code.
  • My build is having trouble with stages like Saffron City (Pictochat) and Peach's Castle (Rainbow Cruise). Others have it working, so I'll update this with strikethrough when I fix mine up. This works now.
  • Double Jump Cancelling in Brawl works differently than in Smash 64 and as a result feels quite odd.
  • The animations have started to be reverted, but they still retain their Brawl properties. This leads to things such as Pikachu's bair being a multihit attack and Falcon's fsmash having a laughable range. I'm working on learning how to edit this.
Misc.
  • Right now, we have a code called "s-cancelling." In Smash 64, pressing a shield button would put you into the normal 5 frame landing lag. Our s-cancel code, however, activates by interrupting landing lag with a shield input. While this isn't exactly like Smash 64, we believe that the code should be suitable, at least for now.
TODO: prior to the first public release - These are the updates you should be looking for from us. When we finish up everything in this list, we should be getting ready to make a release.
  • We're missing some important codes. We want to be able to remove spotdodging at the very least. Side-b removal seems to be a popular choice as well, so we're looking for a way to do that.
  • We plan on switching the side-b and neutral-b moves of characters that have had their moves changed (e.g. Ness), regardless of if we get the side-b removal code for our first release.
  • Most of the shield mechanics work similarly to Smash 64. However, we're missing one major component: shield stun. We have the base form of this code and are figuring out the proper numbers to use.
  • Remove survival DI, but keep Smash DI.
  • Lastly, we'll need to determine how to make this usable from different sources- vanilla Wii, homebrew Wii, etc.
  • Implement a custom stage CSS code.
TODO: important things which may not be included in the first public release
  • Although we're working on changing the icons, we're not sure if the retro costumes will be completed before our release. The Brawl models of characters may be used instead.
  • At some point, we will be conducting a poll on the popularity of things that have been added since Smash 64, such as meteor cancelling (all characters), crawling (e.g. Luigi, Pikachu) and z-airs (Samus, Link). We are considering removing them at some point in the future and would like to hear from the people who plan on playing the mod.
  • Remove running grabs (replace with regular standing grabs).
  • We want to continue getting Smash 64 moves the way they worked. We want to get out a build relatively soon, so we may not have extensive animation work done, along with some important move attributes like hitstun/speed of Fox's laser.
TODO: Misc.
  • Finalize music choices and create a changelist for it.
  • Add in additional stages and redesign the stage CSS.
  • Unrestricted camera.

Another important note: @ Sluigi123 Sluigi123 is taking a break to work on the project, and I'm personally in the middle of exams. We may slow down a bit, but other team members will still be working on it and I will also have at least some free time to contribute.

If I left anything important out that we're ready to publicly reveal, I'd like to ask the other team members to fill it in.

-- Vale

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Will there be a way to play it on dolphin emulator like you can with project m? My Wii broke and I'm hoping I will still be able to play it on dolphin.

Vale

Smash Ace
Will there be a way to play it on dolphin emulator like you can with project m? My Wii broke and I'm hoping I will still be able to play it on dolphin.
Supporting as many platforms as possible is something we want to do. I think sluigi runs his tests on an emulator, so I'll ask him about it if doesn't respond here.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
I think we should announce there will be Normal and Competitive version of stages!
I have already confirmed about this a while back.

Supporting as many platforms as possible is something we want to do. I think sluigi runs his tests on an emulator, so I'll ask him about it if doesn't respond here.
Sadly, I don't run mine on an emulator, but I would like to at some point.

Actually, it's not that hard. Just look at this video or some other videos similar to it, and you should be good to go.
You'll have to listen to him very closely, and have your volume way up when he talks in this vid. Other parts, you'll have to lower it back to where you had your volume at in the first place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-auNIazCg0

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Another important note: @ Sluigi123 Sluigi123 is taking a break to work on the project, and I'm personally in the middle of exams. We may slow down a bit, but other team members will still be working on it and I will also have at least some free time to contribute.
This might be a slight typo, but I'm taking a break for most of May, so I can work on another project that I was working on, about a year ago.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Everyone makes at least one mistake in every month; no matter how big or small the mistake will be. ;) And someday, each mistake will make you feel like you've learned something, and use it as an advantage towards other things that you might make or use in the near future.

Last edited:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't it be simple to change move properties (especially hitboxes) by using PSA? I don't consider editing them to be that difficult.

At any rate, great job! As for the landing - there have been numerous attempts at making proper L-cancelling, why wouldn't using those codes work?

Vale

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be simple to change move properties (especially hitboxes) by using PSA? I don't consider editing them to be that difficult.

At any rate, great job! As for the landing - there have been numerous attempts at making proper L-cancelling, why wouldn't using those codes work?
I haven't gotten much time to look at them, and sluigi has been getting errors on some of the characters I try to edit for unknown reasons. I haven't had much time to actually look at it, but if it is as easy as defining the bones a hitbox appears on and the size/bkb/kbg then I'll be able to do it fairly quickly.

In Smash 64 z-cancels set you into a regular landing animation. In Melee, l-cancelling simply halves the landing lag. The current l-cancel codes most likely do the latter.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
In Smash 64 z-cancels set you into a regular landing animation. In Melee, l-cancelling simply halves the landing lag. The current l-cancel codes most likely do the latter.
I think he meant to use the codes as a base. For example, copy the part that checks for shielding before landing, and rewrite the rest to force a landing animation.

Vale

Smash Ace
non-official response:

That would be because I suck at everything. Proper z cancels will be implemented Eventually™.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I'll be waiting eagerly for Eventually then :)

Specials are tricky, but as far as normal moves go, Project Smash Attacks allows you to essentially place hitboxes on an animation. Additionally you can specify which frames and which bones they are active in. It lets you do a LOT of stuff in general, but just for editing hitboxes you will probably be able to get one character done in about three to five hours if you're familiar with how Brawl works and have a clear idea about the values you want.

I would be willing to help with that btw, if I wouldn't be already doing a bunch of other projects. I'll be following this project closely though, and maybe get some free time to do something myself at a later point.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Update Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.

We have finished some icons for the stage select screen. Here is a preview of what we have done.

But where does their inspiration come from?

You see the top of that screen? That somewhat oval. Yep that is what we used! There is always have a hint of Smash 64 there.

Last edited:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's necessarily that bad of a thing even if the competetive -icon was wider than the classic one. I'd say the text size difference is more bothersome to the general player from an UI design perspective. At least on my monitor, the gradient is quite difficult to notice as well. Maybe it'll look better on a CRT though.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace

Competitive icon changed to contest to further represent it is used for tournaments and all that jazz. Soon we will show off some stages and music. So you guys get a further glimpse at this project.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Nice to know this is still goin' somewhere. I look forward to seeing more.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey everyone! We're glad you all are still interested in our mod!

Since I'm not the programming genius of the bunch, I have been assigned to find the awesome jams for the game! I know some of my favorite tunes from back in the days of the N64, but what are yours? Give me links or names of your favorite old tunes and you might just see them in the game!

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace

Since I'm not the programming genius of the bunch, I have been assigned to find the awesome jams for the game! I know some of my favorite tunes from back in the days of the N64, but what are yours? Give me links or names of your favorite old tunes and you might just see them in the game!
Its funny how the leader of the project leader now is a Co-Music helper. I am the main one. Tomorrow I will upload a video where you can guess one of the songs. Soon we will have a team member show off a stage with all of the music. Remember: All before demo footage may change.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

The only song that I really want in is the Song of Storms.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
The only song that I really want in is the Song of Storms.
Oh don't worry we're already on that. But guys, remember we could always use more team members. All we request of you is for a piece of your work and your Skype in a pm. (I would prefer if you were to pm me.)

Doq

Smash Lord

DREAMLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and maybe some tracks from Kirby 64.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom