• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

realease date concerns

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Brawl development started in October 2005 with a trailer in May 2006. The game was released in Japan in January 2008 and America had a March 2008 release. That's almost three and a half year development period.
Your math is a bit wrong here. October 2005 to January/March 2008 is only 27/29 months which isn't even two and a half years.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Your math is a bit wrong here. October 2005 to January/March 2008 is only 27/29 months which isn't even two and a half years.
Ahh, yeah I botched that up. Math was never my strong suit. Nevermind. I still think though that Brawl's development time will be longer than SSB4.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
so does anybody think june is a reasonable expectation

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We'll probably get an idea on an accurate release date at the next E3. By then, most of the titles that were shown at E3 2013 will be released to the public.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
It will be rush if it's release any early than June 2014. But like some people here said, a 2015 release would be ideal. Think about it, sure they have twice the man power as Brawl but they also are making two different games. It's needs to come out 2015. Let Sakurai and his team take their time and go play one of the other great Smash games to tide you over till 2015.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
so does anybody think june is a reasonable expectation
I think it depends on what Sony and MIcrosoft are doing. Waiting to 2015 would be suicide for NIntendo. By then the PS4 and One will have some killer games out. Summer months there is usually a lull in big games released so I could see the fall of 2014 probably being realistic.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
It will be rush if it's release any early than June 2014. But like some people here said, a 2015 release would be ideal. Think about it, sure they have twice the man power as Brawl but they also are making two different games. It's needs to come out 2015. Let Sakurai and his team take their time and go play one of the other great Smash games to tide you over till 2015.
if the game realsed in may it would not be rushed, it be in development for the same as brawl in feb. 2015 would be a horrid release date.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I could imagine an August release, maybe late August 2014. But Sakurai could also easily say they want to release it in December in order to get most characters in and put some new interesting modes for both singleplayer and multiplayer in it.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
if the game realsed in may it would not be rushed, it be in development for the same as brawl in feb. 2015 would be a horrid release date.
Yeah and guess what? Brawl had balance issues. MK is way over powered, and Sonic, Link and Ganon totally suck. Plus Brawl online lagged and crashed all the time. If they release it in 2015 we'll probably get more balance, more game modes, possibly more characters and just more content in general. Plus lets not forget that they are making two games at once. Even though they have a lot more people they are still gonna need to take their time developing them. I understand how you feel, I want the game right now too but I also want a complete game that is hecka fun and awesome. So I'm choosing to be patient and whenever they are done with the game they will release it.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Yeah and guess what? Brawl had balance issues. MK is way over powered, and Sonic, Link and Ganon totally suck. Plus Brawl online lagged and crashed all the time. If they release it in 2015 we'll probably get more balance, more game modes, possibly more characters and just more content in general. Plus lets not forget that they are making two games at once. Even though they have a lot more people they are still gonna need to take their time developing them. I understand how you feel, I want the game right now too but I also want a complete game that is hecka fun and awesome. So I'm choosing to be patient and whenever they are done with the game they will release it.
Yes, but this time they aren't doing a single player mode as elaborate as SSE. Also certain aspects of the game such as character design and balance will be the same between the two games, thus that work doesn't have to be done twice.

Every game development period is unique. Without working on this game ourselves we have no way to know how close it is to being done. We just have to hope that Nintendo knows what it is doing (as it usually does) with the release schedule, and wait until that date. No more, no less.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but this time they aren't doing a single player mode as elaborate as SSE. Also certain aspects of the game such as character design and balance will be the same between the two games, thus that work doesn't have to be done twice.

Every game development period is unique. Without working on this game ourselves we have no way to know how close it is to being done. We just have to hope that Nintendo knows what it is doing (as it usually does) with the release schedule, and wait until that date. No more, no less.
Very well said.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if balance is a problem they can patch it this time

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
if balance is a problem they can patch it this time
Pretty much this. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y received patches to fix up the Lumiose City glitch, and the GTS issues. Likewise, Mario Kart 7 got a patch to remove certain shortcut exploits from Online Multiplayer.

If anything seems off when Smash Bros. U/3DS gets released, updates can always be made to fix them up.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
While this is true I'd still rather have the game complete and all balanced right out of the box.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Sakurai has made it a point to repeat that the game is coming out in 2014. If it isn't out by the end of the year, Nintendo will be shooting themselves in the foot, if not worse. This game doesn't need to be on store shelves right this second (though it certainly wouldn't hurt), but it needs to be out by the end of the year, in the late summer or fall preferably. Nintendo isn't in the best of states right now (the WiiU specifically), and this is a big AAA title. It needs to fill a void. Donkey Kong in February, Mario Kart in April/May, and Smash in August/September sounds about right to me.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
k thanks, since spring is prob not going to happen now I am now a late june supporter

JediLink

Smash Ace
June is generally considered to be in the summer.
You mean winter? I live in the southern hemisphere, so talk about seasons always confuses me, lol

I don't think we're going to have another Brawl scenario for Smash 4. I'm expecting an actual 2014 release. We already know that there's not going to be an SSE equivalent, and Mega Man and Sonic are already in so we probably won't have another last-minute addition either (unless they want to put in Simon Belmont, which would be absolutely worth it).

As for when in 2014, no idea. I don't even care to speculate.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I think there's a logical reason as to why they don't want to tell a realise date yet , and I think that would be because we would guess how many characters have yet to be revealed before the game comes out .

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a logical reason as to why they don't want to tell a realise date yet , and I think that would be because we would guess how many characters have yet to be revealed before the game comes out .
Honestly I think there's another more important reason: If they need a few months more, they would have to say to the people: "Sorry, another WiiU title delayed. Smash will not be in July. It will come in November." People would be more sad and angry and disappointed than they were if Sakurai said "It will come 2014 ;)". In that case you don't know if they may have a bit trouble by implementing some things as this wouldn't be known and you wouldn't even know the title was planned to be released earlier. I think Sakurai doesn't want people rage because of a delay of a game where he really puts his heart into it to give us a great fighting game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly I think there's another more important reason: If they need a few months more, they would have to say to the people: "Sorry, another WiiU title delayed. Smash will not be in July. It will come in November." People would be more sad and angry and disappointed than they were if Sakurai said "It will come 2014 ;)". In that case you don't know if they may have a bit trouble by implementing some things as this wouldn't be known and you wouldn't even know the title was planned to be released earlier. I think Sakurai doesn't want people rage because of a delay of a game where he really puts his heart into it to give us a great fighting game.
This!

I still remember the rage and frustration from fans everytime Brawl was delayed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This!

I still remember the rage and frustration from fans everytime Brawl was delayed.
This was long before Nintendo was even able to patch their titles. Now, the company can release downloadable patches if any errors in the programming are ever noticed.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
This was long before Nintendo was even able to patch their titles. Now, the company can release downloadable patches if any errors in the programming are ever noticed.
You're right, but Nintendo tries to bring games out where there isn't too much left they need to fix. Sakurai won't work that different. If later on someone shows up being to strong, they can fix it. But they certainly don't want to bring a game out and fix it later on because of bad balancing. They won't try to save time by rushing through balancing in order to fix everything after the release.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You're right, but Nintendo tries to bring games out where there isn't too much left they need to fix. Sakurai won't work that different. If later on someone shows up being to strong, they can fix it. But they certainly don't want to bring a game out and fix it later on because of bad balancing. They won't try to save time by rushing through balancing in order to fix everything after the release.
True. It would have to be an oversight that's similar to the Lumiose City glitch before any potential patches will be made.

Top Bottom