• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Oof, seems like my most wanted potential Smash newcomer of all time could've just gotten a big blow towards his chances... but hope remains for me.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
No I wanted Rayman in smash darn it he was my number 1 most wanted character. My hopes was high when a certain fan notice the Rayman cloud in K Rool Trailer it was going to be Pac Man Smash 4 Deja vu.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I created this just to talk about the whole Brawlhalla thing. This honestly is scaring me to death. I wanted Rayman since forever, you got all the other 3rd party mascots on nintendo consoles, except one. If they add the rabbids, I riot. Nothing against them, but the Rabids wouldn't even exist without Rayman, just sayin'

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Kinda feel bad for the Brawlhalla dev team "We got Rayman as a guest character in our game. Now everyone will love us!" "Oh nvm now they hate us because we ruined Rayman's chances to be in Smash".
While we never had a guest character to appear both in Smash Bros. and another current fighting game (expect Ryu lol). I think its a good moment to break that rule.
And considering Shovel Knight's situation. We can at least expect an Assist Trophy.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
For those of you still panicking.
Push knows what he's talking about, we're fine guys.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I think the only thing that bothers me is the date it's coming out. A month before SSBU's release? That's just...either really good marketing or a red herring, or...something

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, if Rayman's in both he better not have virtually the same moveset. Overlaps in some areas is to be expected but copy/pasting Origins and Legends? Nah...

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I think the only thing that bothers me is the date it's coming out. A month before SSBU's release? That's just...either really good marketing or a red herring, or...something
It's an awkward time, but still, we welcome to Smashboards and the Glade of Dreams!
Rayman Legends.gif

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
For those of you still panicking.
Push knows what he's talking about, we're fine guys.
I slightly disagree on that last point, he picked really outdated and old games as his examples

StormC

Smash Hero
Push is just a fan like any of us speculating. His word isn't law.

The idea that Rayman would be in both Smash Bros. (THE biggest game of the year) and a freeware fighting game a month before Smash just doesn't make any sense no matter how I think about it. If I'm a big Rayman fan, why would I give Brawlhalla the time of day when I can play as Rayman in Super Smash Bros. a month later? The timing is what is suspicious. Ubisoft is wasting their time putting Rayman in this game if he's going to be in a game one month later that will easily sell over 10 million units and give the IP tons of publicity and then promptly overshadow the smaller game.

Rayman isn't deconfirmed but I fail to see a positive spin on this situation.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If I'm a big Rayman fan, why would I give Brawlhalla the time of day when I can play as Rayman in Super Smash Bros. a month later? The timing is what is suspicious. Ubisoft is wasting their time putting Rayman in this game if he's going to be in a game one month later that will easily sell over 10 million units and give the IP tons of publicity and then promptly overshadow the smaller game.
If Rayman is in Smash, then when is a good time to put him in other crossovers? Those will always be overshadowed by Smash. It's not like Rayman in Brawlhalla came out of the blue (for Ubisoft), they'd have planned this months in advance. Sure it's bad timing to send him out a month before Smash comes out if he's also in Smash, but then what would be a good time? They either do it before and get people to play the game in the month wait for Smash, or they put it out after Smash, when as you said, why would anyone bother with the game when they already have Smash (with Rayman potentially in it)?

Edit: Not even to mention that it was probably the Brawlhalla devs that asked if they could use Rayman, and they sure as hell wouldn't know about Smash.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
If Rayman is in Smash, then when is a good time to put him in other crossovers? Those will always be overshadowed by Smash. It's not like Rayman in Brawlhalla came out of the blue (for Ubisoft), they'd have planned this months in advance. Sure it's bad timing to send him out a month before Smash comes out if he's also in Smash, but then what would be a good time? They either do it before and get people to play the game in the month wait for Smash, or they put it out after Smash, when as you said, why would anyone bother with the game when they already have Smash (with Rayman potentially in it)?

Edit: Not even to mention that it was probably the Brawlhalla devs that asked if they could use Rayman, and they sure as hell wouldn't know about Smash.
I think you just made me regain my hope, bless you all:ness:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The best case would've been to just not put Rayman in Brawlhalla, like, at all. If Rayman is in Smash, then putting him in Brawlhalla is bad marketing, plain and simple. Because the purpose of Rayman in Brawlhalla is to advertise Brawlhalla to new players, that's why they're using a big name like Rayman to get outsiders interested. Nobody is going to go out of their way to play Brawlhalla to play as Rayman if they're just going to go to Smash Bros. instead to play as him, at least not within the same time period (just a month) the whole marketing shtick for Brawlhalla would be ruined in that case...

Especially since Ubisoft would know ahead of time that Rayman was in Smash, and having complete control over Brawlhalla since they publish it. This is either bad marketing on Ubisoft's part, or great marketing, all depending on if Rayman is in Smash Bros. as a playable fighter or not... And if he's not, it's great marketing for Brawlhalla.

MichaelA777

Banned via Warnings
Just wanna put this out there LUIGI USES A PLUNGER GUN RAYMAN USED TO FIGHT THE RABBITS! RAYMANS Head is teased in a trailer of King K. Rool top right at 1:33 Rayman is coming call my bluff but I know

Rayman and skull kids palette are teased in the last direct they both will be revealed someone screen shot this

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Another thing: I am very confident the only reason Rayman is in brawlhalla is because they wanted to do something for his 23rd birthday which was the other day. I don't see this as marketing for brawlhalla.

This changes NOTHING
Keep on fighting the good fight boys

Edit: in the announcement video they mention the devs have been working on this since March and that they specifically wanted Rayman in brawlhalla. This did not even put a dent in his chances.

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Here's my thinking: Brawlhalla is multiplatform. It's on everything, while Ultimate is only on Switch.

The optimist in me says that Rayman in Brawlhalla is getting Rayman in a platform fighter for non-Nintendo players. They aren't putting all of their eggs in one basket, much like the Rayman Legends Wii U debacle. Makes sense from a business standpoint.

If Rayman is in Smash Bros, think about consumers who don't know who he is. If there are people that are first introduced to Ubisoft's mascot through one of, if not the, biggest game on Nintendo's dynamite system, that can only bode well for Ubisoft.

It means people that like Rayman in Ultimate may look into other games he's in (Brawlhalla, Legends, Adventures, and the possible Rayman 4) just like how Smash reinvigorated Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus (temporarily) and ultimately that amounts to dollar signs for Ubisoft (and Nintendo, what with future collaborations almost guaranteed after Mario & Rabbids, see Starlink).

Maybe I'm trying to turn straw into gold over here, but this might be what I'd do if I were Ubisoft. Give everyone a bit of Rayman love, but push most of your chips over to the Big N bet.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
It's really not.
they add shovel knight in another fighting game after the direct where he was disconfirmed, seeing rayman in brawlhalla is a bad sign for me i'm scared that those rabbits will steal his chance again

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Just popped in from the Isaac thread. I'm confused why anyone would think Rayman's chances were dampened by today's announcement.

You need only look at who is publishing Brawhalla for the developers to realize why Rayman is there in the first place (spoiler, Ubisoft are publishing)

Your chances for Rayman in Smash are perfectly intact as it is clearly a publisher stunt to gather more sales :)

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Question: How popular was Rayman at the ballot? Sakurai said he used that as insperation so if he's really high on the list there could be a chanse for the limbless wonder

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Question: How popular was Rayman at the ballot? Sakurai said he used that as insperation so if he's really high on the list there could be a chanse for the limbless wonder
It seems like he was up there but if Sakurai was JUST following the ballot then he has a queue ahead of him. Tbh I'd more wager Rayman getting in due to Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo than the Smash Ballot

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
He appeared on the exit poll. Taking out all of the characters that are already confirmed to appear in some capacity puts Rayman in 10th place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/97xud0/smash_ballot_data_taken_from_5_exit_polls_45000/

Though he also has the fact that he appeared as a trophy in the last game on his side, so he already has a connection to Smash Bros even outside of the ballot.

I wouldn't say I'm a massive Rayman fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing him for some of the music. It wouldn't happen but I'd like if his stage was Band Land from the original Rayman on the PS1. I always got stuck on that stage, so it's particularly memorable to me.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
they add shovel knight in another fighting game after the direct where he was disconfirmed, seeing rayman in brawlhalla is a bad sign for me i'm scared that those rabbits will steal his chance again
I guess Shovel Knight being in Rivals of Aether means that he can't be in Blade Strangers. Or Indie Pogo. Or a Smash-inspired mode for Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight's in about half of the indie games that are released nowadays. Even getting an assist trophy in Smash Bros. is a huge step forward for a character with a single game that was released about a year before development on Smash Ultimate started.

Rayman being a playable character in an Ubisoft-owned game (especially a free-to-play one) doesn't seem like it would impact his chances for getting into Smash in any way.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Even if Rayman isn’t in Smash Ultimate’s base game and Brawhalla is meant to be a “consolation prize” of sorts, I don’t think it hurts the chances of being included as DLC at all.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
These are some interesting developments to say the least.

Being in a different fighting game doesn’t hurt his chances at all, but what worries me is the timing. Announcing him a mere 3 months before Ultimate comes out... I just have to wonder if it means anything.

...Guess we’ll have to wait and see. I could be looking too deeply. I’ll pay close attention to Rayman, but there’s one thing I AM happy with.

They put in Rayman before the Rabbids into brawlhalla. Which, to me, means that they’d be likely to discuss Rayman if anyone from Sora contacted them.

While it decreases Rayman’s chances in my eyes, it does lessen competition I’d think.

jcccastanheira

Smash Cadet
Don't loose hope everyone! I don't really think its a consolation prize as we haven't seen anything by Ubisoft in Smash yet. If anything, this is a way to warm up everyone to a new Rayman apearance. He's just a character in that game, it's not liksomeone who likes Rayman would play Brawlahalla over Smash just because of him. What worries me is the reaction to his announcement, it seems there is a plenty big group who strictly DON'T want him in any of the games they play :(

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Don't loose hope everyone! I don't really think its a consolation prize as we haven't seen anything by Ubisoft in Smash yet. If anything, this is a way to warm up everyone to a new Rayman apearance. He's just a character in that game, it's not liksomeone who likes Rayman would play Brawlahalla over Smash just because of him. What worries me is the reaction to his announcement, it seems there is a plenty big group who strictly DON'T want him in any of the games they play :(
This
I've been though so manny chat rooms where they go
"Oh thank God!", "RIP" or "Ooof" (which I hate the most btw)
Like Raymans more well known than any Xenoblade character. Heck, didn't even know what Xenoblade was until Smash so...

I really hope he isn't DLC, because I absolutely hate those types of things. But if he is then...take my money I guess
Edit: No offence to Xenoblade fans. I just never heard of it before smash bros

Last edited:

jcccastanheira

Smash Cadet
Same. This is the time to be the most supportive of Rayman and show that he is loved and welcome! We will surely see something by Ubisoft in Smash and even if it isnt what we want we have to remain that way. I hope some of those opinions change the more they get to know him and maybe his inlusion in Brawllhala will help.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
God don't let it be the assassin guy.....we got enough killers in smash as it is.
I mean, he's not really a mascot of Ubisoft....

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Actually now that I think about it, maybe they just added him to Brawlhalla since it was his birthday. They probably wanted a Nintendo direct on his birthday, but Nintendo didn't want them to so Ubisoft said "fine" and put him in the other game

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
While I don't think that this rules him out, I also think that it'd be a weird decision for Ubisoft to put Rayman into two very similar games around the same time.

Then again, he could be included in Smash as cross promotion for Brawlhalla. I dunno.

If anything, this does throw a wrench into things.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Am a fan will support
Welcome to the Glade of Dreams!
Rayman Legends.gif

To go by a few points brought up while I was away:
1. I am pretty confident of Rayman's placement in the ballot, considering that a lot of support for Rayman sparked because of Omni's fake leak, and the ballot was announced just a couple of months after that. Sure, I don't expect him to havee been neck and neck with K. Rool or Isaac, but he was up there.
2. I don't ever expect Sakurai to put a Rabbid over Rayman, they're the kind of characters Sakurai would see a picture of, go "Ew" and look for something else. Ezio was also brought up, he's cool, but again, he won't make it to Smash over Rayman.
3. Boorepellent Boorepellent I apologize if this rains on your parade, but at the moment, Brawlhalla is only on PC and PS4, but it is coming to both XBOne and Switch in November alongside Rayman. However, your argument of basically putting him in a multiplatform Smash alongside Ultimate is such an Ubisoft move that it makes sense. Here's hoping.

Top Bottom