• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, some detractors say Crash can only spin.

I just wish for both him and Ray to get in so that we can have our Mexican cake and eat it too, and everyone else can shut up about it afterwards. These support base rivalries are so arbitrary that I'd rather not pay attention to them and just get back to my hobbies until March blows over.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
According to Wikipedia, Rayman series has sold 26 million units in total. However, other than the first Rayman game I can't find sales figures for other games in the series. Does anybody here have that info? I'm interested to know how well Rayman 2 did in particular.

Also, can I point out how piss poor Rayman's wikipedia is compared to Rabbids. I just learned that they're making a Rabbids movie. Ubisoft really hate Rayman don't they. FML.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
According to Wikipedia, Rayman series has sold 26 million units in total. However, other than the first Rayman game I can't find sales figures for other games in the series. Does anybody here have that info? I'm interested to know how well Rayman 2 did in particular.

Also, can I point out how piss poor Rayman's wikipedia is compared to Rabbids. I just learned that they're making a Rabbids movie. Ubisoft really hate Rayman don't they. FML.
Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. It's not curated by Ubisoft

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I just beat Rayman Redemption! Yeah, Ubisoft should "Sonic Mania" it and release it officially along with remasters of Rayman 2 and 3. Ryemanni managed to turn a game I was always lukewarm towards into one of the best games released last year. Bravo!

Now to find all the cages and stuff.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I just beat Rayman Redemption! Yeah, Ubisoft should "Sonic Mania" it and release it officially along with remasters of Rayman 2 and 3. Ryemanni managed to turn a game I was always lukewarm towards into one of the best games released last year. Bravo!

Nice! I haven't played it though since I don't own a PC cri

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Awesome! It was definitely my game of the year last year!!

Also while I'm here I figured I'd drop this. Fan rules will keep on breaking!
PicsArt_01-25-09.20.33.jpg

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hello everyone. I'm dropping by so show my support for Rayman. I've been a fan of him for a while now but I did not actually decide to go here until now. Better late than ever.

For my history with Rayman, I played the original game on PS1 when I was about 6 years old. I don't have many memories of the game from that time but I did go back to the game when I was about 14 when I bought it from the PS3 store. I got immersed in the game, and admittedly with the 99 lives cheat, I got quite far into it. Because of the cheat code, I got to really enjoy the game despite the ridiculous difficulty. The game has very inspired level designs and very charming music. Deep Forest in particular really represents the vibe of the game with how zany and cute, yet challenging it is. Basically, this game really oozes with charm. And can we talk about how well this game holds up today in terms of graphics? I mean look at this:

Rayman 1 - RayWiki, the Rayman wiki

A lot of the colors just pop and honestly it almost doesn't look like a PS1 game. It is without a doubt one of the PS1 games that holds up the most, graphically.

Moving on, I've been playing Rayman Legends and I've been really enjoying it. The game looks fantastic and the level design is so creative and well-made. I can't wait to dig deeper into it. Oh yeah, and the various playable characters is a very cool feature too.

So yeah, I would really like to see Rayman become playable. He would fit right in with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, etc. and overall he would be a great choice.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
That would not be good, imo. Rayman has to be the headliner. Playing secondary to the Rabbids would only warp public perception even further that Rayman is simply not that important to them compared to the Rabbids. Ubisoft needs to stop damaging this brand. I respect Soliani as he seems to love both brands and is a great developer, but I'm not sure if he understands he is basically digging a grave for which Rayman will never get out of.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
That would not be good, imo. Rayman has to be the headliner. Playing secondary to the Rabbids would only warp public perception even further that Rayman is simply not that important to them compared to the Rabbids. Ubisoft needs to stop damaging this brand. I respect Soliani as he seems to love both brands and is a great developer, but I'm not sure if he understands he is basically digging a grave for which Rayman will never get out of.
Considering how Ubisoft loves to forget Rayman even exists a lot of the time, I don't see this as a real bad thing. If we are to believe old "leaks", then there are plans for Rayman in the future. Rayman being in the same game as Mario would be fantastic in it's own right. He would be in the spotlight for a good while.

It's wishful thinking but this could all be a potential plan to get Rayman more popular with a featured role in a sequel to a popular game, then releasing a game or two, making a show based on Rayman, and maybe even a Smash Bros invitation. But who knows really? I'm just giving possibilities to things that might not happen at all. But it's fun to think about.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
It's wishful thinking but this could all be a potential plan to get Rayman more popular with a featured role in a sequel to a popular game, then releasing a game or two, making a show based on Rayman, and maybe even a Smash Bros invitation. But who knows really? I'm just giving possibilities to things that might not happen at all. But it's fun to think about.
Funny you say this, cause this is exactly how the Crash Bandicoot revival process started. First he was brought back in a crossover: Skylanders. Then the trilogy came out soon afterwards.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Funny you say this, cause this is exactly how the Crash Bandicoot revival process started. First he was brought back in a crossover: Skylanders. Then the trilogy came out soon afterwards.
It does help to test the waters - this sort of thing goes all the way back to bringing Captain America back after World War 2 (and the short-lived fifties revival that was retconned into being someone else), at least.

(It wound up being a fake who was wearing a Captain America costume, but it was done to see if there was any interest in bringing Captain America back for real, which they did in one of the earliest Avengers issues)

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Ubisoft would have to make Rayman an important centerpiece for me to even entertain a look at a new M+R. Rayman has nothing to prove. He's popular and beloved. Ubisoft's twitter is littered with fans asking for Rayman to return, and they simply don't care. At least, not in a way you expect for a character who built your company. Rayman deserves a crossover with Mario without those awful bunnies. If the leaks are true, he should not be treated like a plot device. He's your mascot, Ubisoft. Treat him as such.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Ubisoft would have to make Rayman an important centerpiece for me to even entertain a look at a new M+R. Rayman has nothing to prove. He's popular and beloved. Ubisoft's twitter is littered with fans asking for Rayman to return, and they simply don't care. At least, not in a way you expect for a character who built your company. Rayman deserves a crossover with Mario without those awful bunnies. If the leaks are true, he should not be treated like a plot device. He's your mascot, Ubisoft. Treat him as such.
Better to be an important plot point/character to the story than some random character that shows up in one cutscene, you get the prompt that you can now play as them and they are no longer relevant to the narrative, like Yoshi in that game.

How cool would a plot where Rayman goes to the Mario World to exterminate the Rabbid invasion but ends up joining forces with them against a greater evil be? I honestly don't understand why we still throw shade at Rabbids, it's been like 12 years or something since they mattered at all. It's like if we still hated Microsoft for ruining Banjo (which they didn't exactly do) or something 20 years later. It's important to have an open mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rayman actually being the guest star of something would be way better than the treatment he had gotten as of late.

Hell, there's already signs of Ubi trying to do better things for their core fans, with the return of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and the (divisive) Prince of Persia Sands of Time remake. So the rumored M+R sequel featuring Rayman from the Rayman series would be going in-line with that.

That being said, since we're nearing the end of the Mario's 35th event, February and March would be the best times to hear an announcement for a new M+R game, especially if it happens shortly after 3D World + Bowser's Fury releases and the laser-focused marketing for that immediately stops.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Going to add to my hopes in a Rayman addition to the game: Rayman enemy types would work VERY well for an XCOM style game:
  • Robo Pirates shooting from afar and using their drills to relocate.
  • Walking Shells that head towards you if you get too close. Could also be a weapon much like the sentries in Mario + Rabbids.
  • Hoodoo Sorcerers shielding nearby allies until you take them out first.
  • Hunters from Rayman 1 shooting rockets.
  • Mosquitoes that shoot from the air.
  • Razoff would be a badass boss encounter.
I'm getting my hopes up but it's fun to speculate.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I honestly don't understand why we still throw shade at Rabbids, it's been like 12 years or something since they mattered at all. It's like if we still hated Microsoft for ruining Banjo (which they didn't exactly do) or something 20 years later. It's important to have an open mind.
Simple. Banjo didn't get replaced. He's also in Smash.

If Rayman gets in Smash, then I'll be more open to it all. In the meantime, I have no choice but to sulk in my anguish.

The Rabbids burned my crops, poisoned the water supply and ****ed my wife!
They have done quite a toll on me mentally since the Mario + Rabbids debacle. I didn't even hate them before then. Rayman and Rabbids branched off to do their own thing and everything was all and well. Then it happened, a mascot crossover between two juggernaut companies. And Rayman wasn't involved. That to me was much worse than anything that happened during the Rabbids party era. While it seemed Ubisoft was neglecting Rayman, he would eventually rise to prominence with Origins and Legends to great success. Instead of riding this train to ensure Rayman gets an even wider audience, they instead completely botched it. As if being in a drought wasn't bad enough, they set a precedent to the gaming world that Rayman simply wasn't mascot material to stand toe to toe to Mr. Videogame himself. As someone who always dreamt for the two to be in a game with one other, you can say this announcement emotionally drained me in more ways than one.

I didn't think I would be so emotionally invested in video games until what happened to Megaman, who was also painfully neglected for awhile before being immortalized in Smash. I have a strange attachment towards mascot type characters, especially the ones that put companies to where they are today. They simply don't get a lot of respect from this industry.

With the current Covid situation (one of my family members just died from it) and worried about my future among others, games are supposed to help me cope with all the BS that happens in the world today. When all you have is that, and even that is bringing you down, then you have someone like me: a sad sack of meatballs. No, the Rabbids didn't burn my crops, poisoned my water supply, or ****ed my non-existent wife, but they did manage to put me in an awful emotional state to where I fear I might not be able to escape from.

Talking to people who have similar feelings would help, but it seems I'm all alone on this subject. That's fine. I'm an outlier for a lot of things.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Can't you take solace in the fact that the Rabbids are consigned to Mii costumes? One of the things that are seen as a death knell in this fandom?

Man, I just don't understand people sometimes...
If it turns out Rayman doesn't get anything at the end of this, Rabbids will have more content.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Simple. Banjo didn't get replaced.
Rabbids, while indeed being the reason that Rayman wasn't put in focus, didn't replace him. Rabbids AND Rayman both got their last games in 2013 before Mario + Rabbids happened. If it was indeed a replacement, Origins and Legends wouldn't have come out and Rabbids would have received more games between 2013 and 2017. Ubisoft decision making is what put Rayman where he is, I wouldn't blame Rabbids.

Banjo got robbed out of a mainline (But otherwise decent) game with weird-looking designs after 8 years and have been a dormant series ever since.

He's also in Smash.
Patience. 👀

I'm sorry to hear that. I currently have have a grandmother with COVID that's probably on her way out. I'm mentally prepared, but it's still pretty sucky. For what it's worth, I used to consider video games my coping mechanisms too, but letting things that happen in the game industry control your mentality of things is not healthy in the slightest, my dude. Having an opinion is fine, but when it drags you down like that, you may need to reevaluate these things a little, especially since you're responding to a joke post, you didn't have to lay that on Noipoi Noipoi

With that said, Mario + Rabbids is a pretty baller game (That you should probably try out, but I don't want to force you to give it a penny) that's gotten a lot of success, even in Japan. A sequel featuring Rayman could be that audience's exposure to the character that he desperately needed.

I wish you the best of luck with things, though. I think no less of you, and am always around to talk.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Rabbids, while indeed being the reason that Rayman wasn't put in focus, didn't replace him. Rabbids AND Rayman both got their last games in 2013 before Mario + Rabbids happened. If it was indeed a replacement, Origins and Legends wouldn't have come out and Rabbids would have received more games between 2013 and 2017. Ubisoft decision making is what put Rayman where he is, I wouldn't blame Rabbids.

Banjo got robbed out of a mainline (But otherwise decent) game with weird-looking designs after 8 years and have been a dormant series ever since.

Patience. 👀

I'm sorry to hear that. I currently have have a grandmother with COVID that's probably on her way out. I'm mentally prepared, but it's still pretty sucky. For what it's worth, I used to consider video games my coping mechanisms too, but letting things that happen in the game industry control your mentality of things is not healthy in the slightest, my dude. Having an opinion is fine, but when it drags you down like that, you may need to reevaluate these things a little, especially since you're responding to a joke post, you didn't have to lay that on Noipoi Noipoi

With that said, Mario + Rabbids is a pretty baller game (That you should probably try out, but I don't want to force you to give it a penny) that's gotten a lot of success, even in Japan. A sequel featuring Rayman could be that audience's exposure to the character that he desperately needed.

I wish you the best of luck with things, though. I think no less of you, and am always around to talk.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she is able to pull through.

I would talk about this some more, but I don't want to burden anyone here with my presence. I've done enough damage as is.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Just some food for thought:

Top Bottom