• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
You're absolutely right. I'm sorry. But I totally agree with your points as well. I just have a lot of passion for this character and I always hated seeing people bring up the worst kind of arguments against him but I also don't want to harm anybody else. I legit had someone tell me that Rayman's popularity in terms of Smash has died down and that they'd most likely go for someone like Lara Croft, Dovahkiin (Skyrim), Master Chief, or Crash before a "lesser known third party series like Rayman". It's clearly false because Rayman is still a heavily supported request, over here and on Twitter, probably more than any of those other characters except for Crash.
That's fine dude, just be more cautious of it. Now in my opinion Rayman's popularity has sadly indeed died down among the general fanbase, if I do admit. But we have to acknowledge that he's looking really good for someone who hasn't been active since 2013, the homie McNuts' almost 6k followers is nothing so scoff at in regards to character for Smash Twitter accounts, but Twitter doesn't represent the entire world either, but hey, it's still a good way to promote the character.

If we're talking about general audiences, I think all of those characters listed are technically a bigger deal than Rayman. If we're talking hardcore Smash fanbase, I think Rayman only loses to Crash in popularity based on my observations. It's similar to Banjo's popularity, where he was mostly popular within those hardcore Smash circles. But I'll say again, why does popularity matter? Banjo is for hardcore fans, Terry, although not Western, is iconic for what he represents but not recognizable to all audiences, and Byleth (not third party or western) was the most controversial pick of the pass, Nintendo doesn't really care about filling this up with all the biggest names, they just do what they want. Just because Steve is the objective peak of Smash in terms of a widespread recognizable characters doesn't mean that not following up with the "next in line" most popular western character is a weird choice, nobody is going to reach Steve's level, period.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
That's fine dude, just be more cautious of it. Now in my opinion Rayman's popularity has sadly indeed died down among the general fanbase, if I do admit. But we have to acknowledge that he's looking really good for someone who hasn't been active since 2013, the homie McNuts' almost 6k followers is nothing so scoff at in regards to character for Smash Twitter accounts, but Twitter doesn't represent the entire world either, but hey, it's still a good way to promote the character.

If we're talking about general audiences, I think all of those characters listed are technically a bigger deal than Rayman. If we're talking hardcore Smash fanbase, I think Rayman only loses to Crash in popularity based on my observations. It's similar to Banjo's popularity, where he was mostly popular within those hardcore Smash circles. But I'll say again, why does popularity matter? Banjo is for hardcore fans, Terry, although not Western, is iconic for what he represents but not recognizable to all audiences, and Byleth (not third party or western) was the most controversial pick of the pass, Nintendo doesn't really care about filling this up with all the biggest names, they just do what they want. Just because Steve is the objective peak of Smash in terms of a widespread recognizable characters doesn't mean that not following up with the "next in line" most popular western character is a weird choice, nobody is going to reach Steve's level, period.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
One-sided is non existent claim in this case, it’s as believable as Voter Fraud

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Once again, nail on the head.

The thing that bugs me about the current iteration of the fanbase is that for some there's this need for an arbitrary "bucket list" that needs to be checked, while others are bothered by any character that's an anime swordsman/human or an "outdated cereal box mascot", it's just random epic reveal for the sake of being random. If, according to them, I am wrong, then I don't want to be right. Characters are officially picked if they are both ready to be implemented and fun to play as conceptually for the most part.

So if you don't get a character this time, just promote louder yet still remain civil.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
God. It's really hard to support this character sometime... I'm letting all the neighsayers get to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God. It's really hard to support this character sometime... I'm letting all the neighsayers get to me.
Just ignore them. I've completely stopped trying to reason with them and I just wait for causality to do its thing.

At least they aren't invading this thread, which is a thing that happened in other support threads.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I know the feeling, Mariofan, but even so, you gotta maintain (Or just ignore, like KirbyWorshiper said).

Just think about the comparative hell that :ultsteve: supporters went through before they got their cake. They had to put up with naysayers that straight up spat-on their desires seemingly for the sole reason of "moDErn POpuLar tHiNg BaD ToXiC cRInGe". Some legit said that anyone who wanted Steve had mental issues, or worse! Despite all that, many fans still stood strong on their proverbial hill.

We're lucky we don't have a surge of rabid haters, just the same regurgitated counterpoints (as annoying as they can get).

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I know the feeling, Mariofan, but even so, you gotta maintain (Or just ignore, like KirbyWorshiper said).

Just think about the comparative hell that :ultsteve: supporters went through before they got their cake. They had to put up with naysayers that straight up spat-on their desires seemingly for the sole reason of "moDErn POpuLar tHiNg BaD ToXiC cRInGe". Some legit said that anyone who wanted Steve had mental issues, or worse! Despite all that, many fans still stood strong on their proverbial hill.

We're lucky we don't have a surge of rabid haters, just the same regurgitated counterpoints (as annoying as they can get).
There's no doubt in my mind that Minecraft Steve deserves his spot on the roster.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All things considered I feel like there is really only one western company that has given constant care to Nintendo Switch and Nintendo’s properties and that’s Ubisoft. The fact that Nintendo has trusted their studios with the Star Fox AND Mario IP tells me that there’s mutual respect there at the very least. I think Rayman is coming eventually but when is completely unknown to me.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All things considered I feel like there is really only one western company that has given constant care to Nintendo Switch and Nintendo’s properties and that’s Ubisoft. The fact that Nintendo has trusted their studios with the Star Fox AND Mario IP tells me that there’s mutual respect there at the very least. I think Rayman is coming eventually but when is completely unknown to me.
My estimate would be somewhere in the final three spots of the current pass. I doubt the VGAs would feature him, as someone else might be planned for that.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
My estimate would be somewhere in the final three spots of the current pass. I doubt the VGAs would feature him, as someone else might be planned for that.
Honestly like, even if it isn't Rayman (which I doubt) I'd be super surprised if Ubisoft doesn't get a single playable rep at all considering the, as you've said, high amount of mutual respect they have for each other.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like I said many times, the high amount of third-parties out there (that aren't dead) could not necessarily get their character(s) in there if there wasn't enough time left for negotiations, or any room for them in the remaining slots. No company is exempt from this.

As in, you could practically be super-loyal to Nintendo and barely do multi-plat, yet even that doesn't necessarily guarantee a spot in Smash unless the timing is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Like I said many times, the high amount of third-parties out there (that aren't dead) could not necessarily get their character(s) in there if there wasn't enough time left for negotiations, or any room for them in the remaining slots. No company is exempt from this.

As in, you could practically be super-loyal to Nintendo and barely do multi-plat, yet even that doesn't necessarily guarantee a spot in Smash unless the timing is absolutely perfect.
My most wanted, Hayabusa, is enough evidence to support that.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Remember y'all, detractors are just randos on the internet and nothing more. They don't work for Nintendo, they don't have any insider information, they just treat their opinions like fact, and it's not worth getting into it or worrying about what they say. Like NonspecificGuy said, rayman could easily be a when and not an if, just a matter of when and if that's in ultimate or a later smash game.

Also while I'm here I wanted to let y'all know, Rayman is in a french history book!!!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Remember y'all, detractors are just randos on the internet and nothing more. They don't work for Nintendo, they don't have any insider information, they just treat their opinions like fact, and it's not worth getting into it or worrying about what they say. Like NonspecificGuy said, rayman could easily be a when and not an if, just a matter of when and if that's in ultimate or a later smash game.

Also while I'm here I wanted to let y'all know, Rayman is in a french history book!!!
Woah, I did not know about that one.

And well, for the context behind it, it's more about Ubisoft being a big video game company that originated from France, and Rayman is shown as an example of one character they created, because everyone except Ubisoft remembers how important he is to them.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life

And people say Rayman isn't iconic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

To France, he's as big as Dragon Quest is in Japan. :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: Incidentally, France also loves anime, so they actually got the DQ art book and manga.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
When neighsayers say Rayman is not known in Japan:
It's true that he doesn't do well in Japan, but his games still get sold there and Rayman Legends is still available for switch there, so if he were to get added to smash it's not like they don't have a chance to learn more about him over there.

Also japanese rayman fan art is always a treasure!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's true that he doesn't do well in Japan, but his games still get sold there and Rayman Legends is still available for switch there, so if he were to get added to smash it's not like they don't have a chance to learn more about him over there.

Also japanese rayman fan art is always a treasure!
I wonder how possible it is for JP players to acquire West-only mobile phone games...

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
My favorite thing is when people say that Ryu Hayabusa is likely because of the relationship between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo but then they'll be quick to dismiss someone like Rayman even though he has that exact same fact going for him.

That's hypocritical, isn't it?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My favorite thing is when people say that Ryu Hayabusa is likely because of the relationship between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo but then they'll be quick to dismiss someone like Rayman even though he has that exact same fact going for him.

Not to mention that both aren't a guarantee. No character or game series is immune from being passed over, Resident Evil and even Pokémon Swish getting spirit events should have hammered that in, yet people are still going through the Seven Stages of Grief. Slowly.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Whaddya guys think about this?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Some people will say whatever they want and insist it's true even without evidence to back it up.

I remember seeing someone just the other day say that Rayman isn't a legitimate large request but at the same time said that if there was a smash ballot 2, that llyod would be one of the top voted characters (not saying llyod is unlikely at all but definitely haven't seen him among the very top requests). Best to just ignore people that are gonna think rationally

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Whaddya guys think about this?
The dude makes each observation and key point interweave Correctly by his Reasoning of each Characters inclusion, will it be a Reality is the Question. Although I do see the 4-Remaining Character Packs fit very well with Rayman, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa & Master Chief by his explanation for the 10-Year’s of Pre-Production planning as getting those characters prior before DLC existed would be insanely impossible as DLC is more profitable than Base Game content

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I would be pretty happy with that roster. It's pretty much what I'm expecting tbh. I did favor Doomguy over Master Chief, but I certainly wouldn't be angry if Chief got in instead.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Do any of y'all have any ideas on how you'd celebrate when Rayman makes it into a Smash game one day?
14813.jpg

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I will have a stroke from excitement and go into comatose for a week, which will be exactly when Rayman releases then I will automatically wake up and be ready to play, discover his top tier potential, which makes him a monster in tournaments, thus increasing his worldwide popularity significantly, thus, Rayman 4 is finally finished.

... I can dream.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I will have a stroke from excitement and go into comatose for a week, which will be exactly when Rayman releases then I will automatically wake up and be ready to play, discover his top tier potential, which makes him a monster in tournaments, thus increasing his worldwide popularity significantly, thus, Rayman 4 is finally finished.

... I can dream.
I'm a be in a coma for a week as well but because of all the alcohol I'm gonna consume in celebration. It'll definitely feel like a huge win with all the prowl who insisted that he isn't big enough for smash!

Though I totally expect those same people to go "I knew he was gonna happen eventually!"

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'm a be in a coma for a week as well but because of all the alcohol I'm gonna consume in celebration. It'll definitely feel like a huge win with all the prowl who insisted that he isn't big enough for smash!

Though I totally expect those same people to go "I knew he was gonna happen eventually!"
I don't usually drink but I think busting a champagne bottle and chugging it isn't out of the question in this scenario.

Top Bottom