• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I feel like of all third party companies, Ubisoft deserves a character more than everyone tbh. They've supported Nintendo when no one else did, I don't think people appreciate that enough.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I feel like of all third party companies, Ubisoft deserves a character more than everyone tbh. They've supported Nintendo when no one else did, I don't think people appreciate that enough.
From the very beginning I've been saying that I'll be very, very shocked if Ubisoft got no form of content in Smash beyond trophies for this exact reason. This just feels like the right time to do it. A lot of crossovers between the companies, the presence of a trophy in Smash already, a hoax that sparked up interest in the character, it just makes perfect sense, you know.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So how's everyone feeling about Rayman's chances recently?
I still think he has an alright chance. Not exactly leaning too hard in either direction, as nothing has really happened recently to indicate a massive change (except maybe the Shovel Knight AT).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm pretty sure the chairs are about Skull Kid, so not as high on his chances as I was before, but I'm happy the fanbase is picking up at least

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Oddly enough, I'm feeling more optimistic about Rayman's chances than before due to recent developments involving Ultimate.
-Despite their lack of Japanese popularity, Ridley and Shovel Knight are proof that Sakurai does look at what Western Smash fans want and tries to implement them however he can, whether as an AT or as a newcomer.
-Given that this game is favoring fan favorites over relevancy (mostly), it's not far out there to think Rayman would be chosen over the Rabbids since his peak in popularity was back in the Ballot era, which is what Sakurai is looking at.
-Since Smash 4 had those three Rayman trophies as the only Ubisoft representstion that we got, I wouldn't be surprised if we that representation got bigger due to Ubisoft doing more crossovers with Nintendo such as Mario + Rabbids and Starlink.
-Rayman might dodge the AT curse since Sukapon is a new AT that already does what Rayman can do. He can still be an AT, but I wouldn't count on Sakurai making Rayman a new AT when Sukapon was just introduced as an AT and is pretty similar. Plus, each of the new ATs have had unique functions.
-Ubisoft has said they have more surprise collaborations coming and Smash is a possibility. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ni...ollaborations-in-the-works-with-nintendo/amp/
Put all this together with Rayman's legacy on Nintendo platforms and as Ubisoft's mascot and it doesn't seem so bad for him. Rayman is by no means a guarantee, as his lack of Japanese popularity is unfortunate, but to say he's an impossibility is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Throwing in my support for my favorite thingamajig. Honestly, I've wanted Rayman in Smash for a very long time, 64 long. When that first poll popped up for Melee you better believe I cast my vote for ma limbless boi here.

This is the closest I've ever seen him to get to inclusion, what with how close the big N and Ubisoft are these days, the many collaborations, Nintendo publishing Legends in Japan, the Sm4sh trophies, the "leak" before the ballot, and the growing support I see for him here and on Reddit. I will admit that there are more popular choices, but as far as iconic third parties I feel he's the most realistic.

Like most Rayman fans, I know to curb my enthusiasm. That being said, glad to be on the hype train, and glad to be a part of the community.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I thought Rayman seemed pretty boring, but SSF2's Rayman has gotten me more interested in him. He looks like a lot of fun. You might want to link to some gameplay of him in the OP.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
While I think we'll only get one more unique third party character, I do think Rayman's a frontrunner in terms of chances.
The amount of Final Fantasy content we're getting in Ultimate (which, so far, is the exact same. Not even an assist trophy to speak of (so far), and still only two songs if the Direct is any indication), has me hesitating on Geno's chances (especially when Konami went all out with their Castlevania content in smash, on top of metal gear, Square Enix seems really hesitant). And while Banjo and Kazooie are pretty popular, including on the Ballot, being owned by Microsoft, a competitor when it comes to gaming platforms, also has me hesitating on their chances unless they're DLC, which Microsoft can profit from (I think anyway). The only other competition I see is from a Namco character, but I'm not sure if they've had that much ballot support.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as detracting from other characters, I think they'd be cool additions, but out of most third parties, I think Rayman probably has one of, if not the biggest chances of getting in, since I'd feel Ubisoft's more than willing to cooperate considering their recent history.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I thought Rayman seemed pretty boring, but SSF2's Rayman has gotten me more interested in him. He looks like a lot of fun. You might want to link to some gameplay of him in the OP.
Can you link it

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Throwing in my support for my favorite thingamajig. Honestly, I've wanted Rayman in Smash for a very long time, 64 long. When that first poll popped up for Melee you better believe I cast my vote for ma limbless boi here.

This is the closest I've ever seen him to get to inclusion, what with how close the big N and Ubisoft are these days, the many collaborations, Nintendo publishing Legends in Japan, the Sm4sh trophies, the "leak" before the ballot, and the growing support I see for him here and on Reddit. I will admit that there are more popular choices, but as far as iconic third parties I feel he's the most realistic.

Like most Rayman fans, I know to curb my enthusiasm. That being said, glad to be on the hype train, and glad to be a part of the community.
Welcome to the Glade of Dreams!
Rayman Legends.gif

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
While I think we'll only get one more unique third party character, I do think Rayman's a frontrunner in terms of chances.
The amount of Final Fantasy content we're getting in Ultimate (which, so far, is the exact same. Not even an assist trophy to speak of (so far), and still only two songs if the Direct is any indication), has me hesitating on Geno's chances (especially when Konami went all out with their Castlevania content in smash, on top of metal gear, Square Enix seems really hesitant). And while Banjo and Kazooie are pretty popular, including on the Ballot, being owned by Microsoft, a competitor when it comes to gaming platforms, also has me hesitating on their chances unless they're DLC, which Microsoft can profit from (I think anyway). The only other competition I see is from a Namco character, but I'm not sure if they've had that much ballot support.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as detracting from other characters, I think they'd be cool additions, but out of most third parties, I think Rayman probably has one of, if not the biggest chances of getting in, since I'd feel Ubisoft's more than willing to cooperate considering their recent history.
My man

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133

Amen!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I can't use audio rn, but what is Lockjaw used for, seemed like it never did anything everytime he threw it out there.
I think it's his grab. The thing that excited me about him was the giant plum, though. I didn't realize how big and fun it could be.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
20180821_181154.png

This was brought up by MrMcNuts MrMcNuts a couple of pages ago, but you should all remember that Rayman has Amiibo Costume data in Super Mario Maker for 3DS. I might be stretching it but it kind of shows that Rayman was relevant to Nintendo far before Sakurai started his project plan.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think it's his grab. The thing that excited me about him was the giant plum, though. I didn't realize how big and fun it could be.
It's a really interesting concept, reminiscent of Wario's bike, but tbh I think the plum works better.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
View attachment 159027

This was brought up by MrMcNuts MrMcNuts a couple of pages ago, but you should all remember that Rayman has Amiibo Costume data in Super Mario Maker for 3DS. I might be stretching it but it kind of shows that Rayman was relevant to Nintendo far before Sakurai started his project plan.
I completely forgot about this.

Doubt Rayman would be considered for an amiibo outside of Smash, so it was probably just a costume gotten through the game.

Still, curious to know what caused this to get scrapped. If it went through, Rayman would be the only non-Smash third party character to have a costume.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Doubt Rayman would be considered for an amiibo outside of Smash, so it was probably just a costume gotten through the game.

Still, curious to know what caused this to get scrapped. If it went through, Rayman would be the only non-Smash third party character to have a costume.
You see at first I thought it would be just a costume unlocked in game but then you see that it's filed under something called amiibo tables. And like said before they probably wouldn't make a Rayman amiibo for anything other than smash at the moment. This version of the game also came out in 2016, after the ultimate plan was finalized in 2015. It's also been confirmed that the amiibos from smash 4 are getting restocks so ultimate will be using the same amiibo data from those amiibos. Maybe when putting together the 3ds build they took data from their amiibo database for smash related stuff and rayman's amiibi data got mixed in if he's planned for ultimate? This of course is all speculation of course

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You see at first I thought it would be just a costume unlocked in game but then you see that it's filed under something called amiibo tables. And like said before they probably wouldn't make a Rayman amiibo for anything other than smash at the moment. This version of the game also came out in 2016, after the ultimate plan was finalized in 2015. It's also been confirmed that the amiibos from smash 4 are getting restocks so ultimate will be using the same amiibo data from those amiibos. Maybe when putting together the 3ds build they took data from their amiibo database for smash related stuff and rayman's amiibi data got mixed in if he's planned for ultimate? This of course is all speculation of course
I'm not a programmer by any means, but I think that since a large majority of the costumes come from amiibo, the rest of the costumes fall under the "amiibo" category as well. There wouldn't be much of a reason to put them in two separate categories.

Though, of course, this is speculation as well.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I think that regardless of if the data is actually amiibo or not, it's still significant that Rayman was going to be in Mario Maker in any capacity, a point in his favor either way. Amiibo would be a greater point, sure, but I just want to give him anything here.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
View attachment 159027

Holy crap.
...could it be? Could Rayman be joining the battle?

Keep in mind, Roy, Ryu, and the remaining DLC fighters after Lucas (Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta) never had functionality in the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker. (Take it from someone who collected every damn Smash amiibo there is so far.)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So Sakurai’s recent Famitsu column was translated by Source Gaming.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

The point of interest is that when Sakurai is going over King K.Rool, he says this:

I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes.
This could bold well for a lot of fan-favorites characters, including Rayman.

Though to the biggest concern is that Sakurai reiterates the 103 stages thing, which could take a hit to the idea of more third parties.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
If Ubisoft kept Rayman Legends exclusive to the Wii U like Bayonetta 2 Rayman will probably be in smash.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Though to the biggest concern is that Sakurai reiterates the 103 stages thing, which could take a hit to the idea of more third parties.
I still don't think that's the final stage count. I think there are a few more to unveil, but the remainder could potentially spoil a new character.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I still don't think that's the final stage count. I think there are a few more to unveil, but the remainder could potentially spoil a new character.
Kind of split on whether or not it’s the final stage count myself. What was translated seemed to have a sense of finality to it, but you never know with Sakurai.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
let's hope those minions(rabbids) will not steal the chance of rayman being in the roster,because ubisoft publish more the rabbids than rayman,they maybe trying to influence sakurai to put them in the roster. Sorry for my pessimistic opinion i'm just a little bit worried.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
let's hope those minions(rabbids) will not steal the chance of rayman being in the roster,because ubisoft publish more the rabbids than rayman,they maybe trying to influence sakurai to put them in the roster. Sorry for my pessimistic opinion i'm just a little bit worried.
Y'know, I think we all felt that way some months ago, but after the community's inclinations (& recent confirmation) that Sakurai is looking to what the fans want via the ballot, I'd say he would go with Rayman, if only to further that mission statement. The Rabbids ARE still a possibility, just not as strong as before. That's what I'm hoping for, atleast.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah I don't believe Rabbids are going to usurp Rayman anymore. They both don't seem to have strong chances, but seeing the picks are based off of the ballot Rayman seems to be the only one with any sort of chance at all.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, I think we all felt that way some months ago, but after the community's inclinations (& recent confirmation) that Sakurai is looking to what the fans want via the ballot, I'd say he would go with Rayman, if only to further that mission statement. The Rabbids ARE still a possibility, just not as strong as before. That's what I'm hoping for, atleast.
yeah it's sure rayman will have more chance with the ballot,i voted for him last years as smash dlc,he was more popular because of the famous fake leak

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Just came from visiting the old Rayman thread, we used to post a lot! And it's so funny revisiting the messages, we had a lot of fun xD. Oh also, 1 week for Rayman birthday :smash:.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Just came from visiting the old Rayman thread, we used to post a lot! And it's so funny revisiting the messages, we had a lot of fun xD. Oh also, 1 week for Rayman birthday :smash:.
Lot of memories in that thread.

It was practically dead until they revealed the Rayman trophy, after that the thread got much more activity, and the Artsy Omni leak only increased it even more.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, tinfoil hat time.

In the 8/8 direct, behind Sakurai there are a few pieces of furniture of note: the notorious purple and yellow chairs.

Some people see Skull Kid, some people see Waluigi(?).

I see yellow shoes, a purple shirt, and (on the couch) a red handkerchief.

Rayman in next direct, my guys.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hey guys, tinfoil hat time.

In the 8/8 direct, behind Sakurai there are a few pieces of furniture of note: the notorious purple and yellow chairs.

Some people see Skull Kid, some people see Waluigi(?).

I see yellow shoes, a purple shirt, and (on the couch) a red handkerchief.

Rayman in next direct, my guys.
Chair looks lime green to me.

Lime green....
309C13B1-C376-45D2-B75B-BE935841B6CE.png

Assist Trophy confirmed!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Our limbless thingamajig is getting older.

A September direct would be a fantastic time to reveal him.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Top Bottom