• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Well according to SourceGaming we could be finally getting a direct in October either on the 14th or the 16th I forget which but it on one of those days. Again an October direct is not far off because we've had directs in the fall usually somewhere in October or November before. So, we could finally be seeing something by then.
I'm just hoping there will even be a direct. And if there is, I'm wondering who they'll have directing it. Will it be Reggie, or Bill Trinen (sp?) or the new president?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Aw, she looks so cute! >3< GREAT JOB!
=u= Hehe, it's nothing. I just wanted to get something for the seasons done and out of the way. Well, at least until the end of the month I guess, I gotta do something this time for my gallery. But anyways, thanks, glad you liked it Andrea. :3

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Bored, so I did something.

View attachment 76881

Might as well do something silly for now to start into this season I guess.

EDIT: Also, I forgot I found something I'm not sure if I saw before.

www.whiplash198.deviantart.com/art/Another-rayman-picture-564693113
So cute, I love the seasons drawings (for example halloween drawings as you did this one), I really like the drawing, nicely done!

EDIT:

Some Halloween things of Rayman I found:

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Well according to SourceGaming we could be finally getting a direct in October either on the 14th or the 16th I forget which but it on one of those days. Again an October direct is not far off because we've had directs in the fall usually somewhere in October or November before. So, we could finally be seeing something by then.
Yeah, I heard about that. Though if that was true, Nintendo should've announced it by now.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Don't know if you guys had hear yet but apparently Roger (RogersBase, if you may know him) said that he may or may not know about some exciting Nintendo news. Also another word has founded 4 stage slots and also 7 character slots so what do you guys think of all of this? It's through Twitter is where I found this information but I want something at this point.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Don't know if you guys had hear yet but apparently Roger (RogersBase, if you may know him) said that he may or may not know about some exciting Nintendo news. Also another word has founded 4 stage slots and also 7 character slots so what do you guys think of all of this? It's through Twitter is where I found this information but I want something at this point.
So you're saying we may be getting 7 Smash Bros Fighters in addition to the 3 placeholders so far?

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
I'm positive about a Nintendo Direct this month and these tuits saying that it will be on 14th or 16th, but I don't believe the rumours about smash, but well, I'll take this as a grain of salt.

With the dry news, I need at least rumours to feed me xD.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Well, since we've got nothing to talk about, I might as well start by going over a brief review of Rayman on the DSi, which I've beaten not too long ago.

Rayman DSi pretty much looks and plays just like the PC version that I have, only with some differences. First off, the difficulty has been curbed a bit, in which Rayman has been given extra hit points to his default health, while grabbing a Max Power doubles it, more or less, making it more easier to last against enemy infested levels. Plus, the number of tings to collect an extra life has been halved to 50, and you don't lose any collected tings whenever you die, making extra lives easier to earn. While the levels themselves are still challenging, the extra health and easy-to-collect extra lives does make it all more forgiving. However, one major drawback is the reduction of the mercy invincibility time, in which each time you get hit, the invincibility lasts for almost a millisecond before you get hit again. It doesn't help that you get knocked back each time you get hit, with little to no time to react before getting hit again instantly, which is problematic if you're trying to get out of a spiked pit.

For the controls, it works pretty well like most versions. One major complaint that I have is that when you get the run ability, it doesn't replace the grimace ability like in most versions. That means whenever you're getting ready to run while standing still and hold down the R button, Rayman does his grimace, leaving him open to attacks or worse. So you have to actually be moving first before running. Another complaint, although minor, is the crawling, required to get through small spaces, done by holding down on the D-Pad, and pressing either left or right, which can be somewhat uncomfortable on the thumb.

In terms of looks, the graphics and visuals are pretty identical to the original ports, to the backgrounds and character sprites. However, due to the game being on a handheld, the game view is significantly cut off for the most part without having to move to scroll the screen, making it harder to view any incoming enemies or obstacles in foresight.

Now for the sound and music, it's fairly identical to the main versions, but with certain drawbacks. For example, the main SFX volume is considerably louder than before, especially when your DSi/3DS volume is already set to max, so it gets hard on the ears after a while. For the music, it's fairly recognizable for those who played the original ports, despite being at a lower quality. However, due to the DSi's software being limited, a number of songs from the original version ended up being cut from this, with the songs in-game being shortened and set on loop.

While not much has been changed in this version, there are some additional features. First off, the game features a level map viewed on the touch screen that you can scroll around for a good look for what's ahead of you. While this seems useful, the black and white style of it seems unappealing to the eyes, and it lacks the feature of showing any Electoon cages that you may have missed, which would've been very helpful to any newcomers of the original Rayman.

Another feature, making use of the DSi/3DS internal camera, is the Photographer Checkpoints, which the game take a picture of yourself while saving your position in-game, with the image being displayed on the touch screen while on file select. It's a fun feature, but the loud camera clicking sound that the system makes gets annoying after a while, even if you're volume is turned all the way down.

One last feature, although it's not truly vital to the game itself, is the Anti-Dark Matters Achievements List, which basically lists the worlds that you've beaten, all of the cages that you've found, and if you managed to clear any worlds without using a continue. Like I said, there's no real reward to clearing the list, aside for bragging rights.

But one handy subtle feature, probably not mentioned anywhere in the game manual, is that whenever you revisit a level that you've already cleared, especially if you're trying to track down any Electoon cages that you might've missed, you can hit the Select button on your system to skip to the next part of the level without having to beat it all over again.

Overall, for my thoughts on Rayman DSi, it's a decent port of the original. Much better than Rayman Advance, but not as good as the original console versions, due to the hardware limitations. It's definitely recommended for those who want to play Rayman on the go, but for those who played the original, you're not missing out much with this.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Well, since we've got nothing to talk about, I might as well start by going over a brief review of Rayman on the DSi, which I've beaten not too long ago.

Rayman DSi pretty much looks and plays just like the PC version that I have, only with some differences. First off, the difficulty has been curbed a bit, in which Rayman has been given extra hit points to his default health, while grabbing a Max Power doubles it, more or less, making it more easier to last against enemy infested levels. Plus, the number of tings to collect an extra life has been halved to 50, and you don't lose any collected tings whenever you die, making extra lives easier to earn. While the levels themselves are still challenging, the extra health and easy-to-collect extra lives does make it all more forgiving. However, one major drawback is the reduction of the mercy invincibility time, in which each time you get hit, the invincibility lasts for almost a millisecond before you get hit again. It doesn't help that you get knocked back each time you get hit, with little to no time to react before getting hit again instantly, which is problematic if you're trying to get out of a spiked pit.

For the controls, it works pretty well like most versions. One major complaint that I have is that when you get the run ability, it doesn't replace the grimace ability like in most versions. That means whenever you're getting ready to run while standing still and hold down the R button, Rayman does his grimace, leaving him open to attacks or worse. So you have to actually be moving first before running. Another complaint, although minor, is the crawling, required to get through small spaces, done by holding down on the D-Pad, and pressing either left or right, which can be somewhat uncomfortable on the thumb.

In terms of looks, the graphics and visuals are pretty identical to the original ports, to the backgrounds and character sprites. However, due to the game being on a handheld, the game view is significantly cut off for the most part without having to move to scroll the screen, making it harder to view any incoming enemies or obstacles in foresight.

Now for the sound and music, it's fairly identical to the main versions, but with certain drawbacks. For example, the main SFX volume is considerably louder than before, especially when your DSi/3DS volume is already set to max, so it gets hard on the ears after a while. For the music, it's fairly recognizable for those who played the original ports, despite being at a lower quality. However, due to the DSi's software being limited, a number of songs from the original version ended up being cut from this, with the songs in-game being shortened and set on loop.

While not much has been changed in this version, there are some additional features. First off, the game features a level map viewed on the touch screen that you can scroll around for a good look for what's ahead of you. While this seems useful, the black and white style of it seems unappealing to the eyes, and it lacks the feature of showing any Electoon cages that you may have missed, which would've been very helpful to any newcomers of the original Rayman.

Another feature, making use of the DSi/3DS internal camera, is the Photographer Checkpoints, which the game take a picture of yourself while saving your position in-game, with the image being displayed on the touch screen while on file select. It's a fun feature, but the loud camera clicking sound that the system makes gets annoying after a while, even if you're volume is turned all the way down.

One last feature, although it's not truly vital to the game itself, is the Anti-Dark Matters Achievements List, which basically lists the worlds that you've beaten, all of the cages that you've found, and if you managed to clear any worlds without using a continue. Like I said, there's no real reward to clearing the list, aside for bragging rights.

But one handy subtle feature, probably not mentioned anywhere in the game manual, is that whenever you revisit a level that you've already cleared, especially if you're trying to track down any Electoon cages that you might've missed, you can hit the Select button on your system to skip to the next part of the level without having to beat it all over again.

Overall, for my thoughts on Rayman DSi, it's a decent port of the original. Much better than Rayman Advance, but not as good as the original console versions, due to the hardware limitations. It's definitely recommended for those who want to play Rayman on the go, but for those who played the original, you're not missing out much with this.
Reviews?

...are we this news starved?

Furret24

Smash Master

Yay, a review of my first Rayman game.

If it wasn't for it's cheats, I would've never beaten the game.
:gawmelee:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Reviews?

...are we this news starved?
At least it's better than just posting random memes and nightmare inducing images.

Yay, a review of my first Rayman game.

If it wasn't for it's cheats, I would've never beaten the game.
:gawmelee:
The only help I needed was finding all of the Electoon cages. Anyway, the DSi version is good, but not the definite version of Rayman.

Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash Can I use your drawing of Rayman (the one you have as your avatar) for Fan-Art Friday on the Facebook group?
Sure. Go ahead.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, I heard about that. Though if that was true, Nintendo should've announced it by now.
Not to get anyones hopes up or anything, but Nintendo traditionally announces Directs THE DAY BEFORE. It erks me soooo much that they do this. Of course, there have been certain instances where they announce it well in advance though those are few and far between.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Not to get anyones hopes up or anything, but Nintendo traditionally announces Directs THE DAY BEFORE. It erks me soooo much that they do this. Of course, there have been certain instances where they announce it well in advance though those are few and far between.
Yeah, it REALLY throws me off when they do that.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Since we're bored, are there any Miiverse artwork requests you would like to share?

I'm not promising I'll do them, but I just want to see what everyone else wants to see.

You see?

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Top Bottom