• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
According to lore, there's usually a 100 year gap between each game where Rayman just... sleeps. It explains why things are always radically different (also the Glade of Dreams being well, a glade of dreams). Though most of Rayman 1 was retconned, the story is the same, but every instance of any Rayman looking character is assumed to have been replaced with a Teensie. Before the events of Rayman 1, Rayman defeated Jano (the Guardian of the Cave of Bad Dreams) who created the Darktoons.

Origins also did have a story that was scrapped, but when applied over the game, it makes more sense.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What infuriated me about Rayman 2 was the near absence of everything from Rayman 1 besides Rayman, cages and plums. I kept asking myself who all these characters and things are and why does Rayman know them like they've always been there; I was afraid that when I got Rayman 3 the same thing would happen, but it didn't. Continuity-wise it felt like it took place in the same world as the 2nd game and I didn't have to worry about piecing a disjointed timeline. Rayman's changed but he's still himself, Globox is more entertaining but he's still a coward, Murphy still gives advice even if it's backhanded, there's cages and plums, Teensies are wackier, and they expanded on the setting. We finally see the heart of the world; Lums are back and they're sentient--it's even possible for one to go rogue and corrupt others and it's a central part of the story, which in itself isn't overly epic--it's quirky, amusing and different. Take your friend to some doctors after a thwarted invasion attempt and make enemies along the way, then have the villain you're putting up with ally with some dude you just beat so they can restart their plan of mutual godhood and thwart them both. It's part grudge match and finishing what was started.

It wasn't until Rayman Legends that I realized why the continuities were so incongruent: the games are hundreds of years apart and based on a god's dreams. If that was clear earler in the series I wouldn't be as aggravated with Rayman 2's changes as I was when I was a kid. I still loved the game, but making sense of the inconsistencies kept me from falling in love instantly. Imagine Rareware makes Banjo-Kazooie in 1998, then Nuts n Bolts in 2000 with the exact same plot and characters as the 2008 N&B--the only difference being the graphics (this is N64 after all), and the game being highly acclaimed by fans and critics. You love the game, but for the life of you it's bugging you how Banjo and Kazooie met all these characters from Banjo-Tooie, which in this scenario that game never existed.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Are you insinuating that these are even remotely comparable?

For one, Sega hired a bunch of guys from an unrelated company to make an unrelated game, Jak devs making a Sonic game, that's already a recipe for something wrong. These are the actual developers of Banjo, making their own game, something completely fresh and new with the old formula, and this is a labor of love, not "here's money, go do this."

Besides, this isn't the current washed up Rare filled with new guys who can't do anything, this is the RareWare. The original guys who were the greatest developers of all time. The glory days of gaming, DKC, Goldeneye, Banjo, they can do no wrong.

Plus Grant faffing Kirkhope, the greatest game composer that isn't Koji Kondo.

@ ThePenguinGamer0 ThePenguinGamer0

He's right about this, you know.

The real reasons with what went wrong with Big Red Button with Sonic Boom was:

1. The game was marketed as a Sonic game instead of being it's own new thing.
2. Said game was being made as a tie-in for the TV show of the same name, and we all know how these tie-in games end up being mediocre at best, or just plain trash.
3. The biggest mistake Big Red Button has ever done was working with a company who has a poor track record on quality control for their games and with no meaning of the word 'extended delay'.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OMG everyone's showing their Rayman drawings! I have to jump in on this with a little idea I made a while back:

[URL=http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/Saarebas/media/e80c8180-6915-4581-b36f-a7dd823e60c2.jpg.html][/URL]

A forward tilt idea. Rayman leans to the side, scrunches his body then fires his head off like a cannon. As he does so, his hair spins allowing him to rack up damage on whoever he hits while pushing back foes and lifting them up off the ground. The attack has a diagonal trajectory to aid in keeping foes from escaping early, but that also means you might be able to duck under it if you're not too close to its starting point. The incline is low however, so ducking isn't a guaranteed way to avoid it and you're better off dodging. Also, the move can be angled like many tilts, but Rayman's options are straight ahead or the neutral trajectory, which is what you see above.

It's not a KO-worthy move per se, but don't doubt its potential--Rayman's hair is strong enough to cut through ropes as thick as his torso--a fact he learned in his early centuries to avoid drowning. Do you really wanna get cut by something that sharp? Repeatedly?

I started Rayman ideas before Dixie, but I felt she needed the attention, plus most of his moves are already covered so I didn't need much to come up with. Hope y'all like it!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah, playing one game first can definitely leave someone with more nostalgia for it. Though that's never been a problem for me, personally. I genuinely enjoy the other Rayman games more from a design standpoint, with no nostalgia hindering me.

For example, I played and loved Ocarina of Time as a kid, but only played Majora's Mask a long time later. I absolutely love Majora's Mask and find it to be more enjoyable experience, it's also my third favorite game ever while OoT isn't even my third favorite Zelda (I even enjoy Twilight Princess more, despite a lot of people not liking it for whatever reason).
Nostalgia can be a good thing or a bad thing. I try not to fall victim to it tricking me, but I sometimes can't help it. Rayman 3, however is a game I genuinely love, nostalgia aside.
Now I'm really tempted to ask someone to draw Phosphora Rayman Origins style. :D
I could try that, would you prefer a nymph like design or Phosphora's regular design "Originized."

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
OMG everyone's showing their Rayman drawings! I have to jump in on this with a little idea I made a while back:

A forward tilt idea. Rayman leans to the side, scrunches his body then fires his head off like a cannon. As he does so, his hair spins allowing him to rack up damage on whoever he hits while pushing back foes and lifting them up off the ground. The attack has a diagonal trajectory to aid in keeping foes from escaping early, but that also means you might be able to duck under it if you're not too close to its starting point. The incline is low however, so ducking isn't a guaranteed way to avoid it and you're better off dodging. Also, the move can be angled like many tilts, but Rayman's options are straight ahead or the neutral trajectory, which is what you see above.

It's not a KO-worthy move per se, but don't doubt its potential--Rayman's hair is strong enough to cut through ropes as thick as his torso--a fact he learned in his early centuries to avoid drowning. Do you really wanna get cut by something that sharp? Repeatedly?

I started Rayman ideas before Dixie, but I felt she needed the attention, plus most of his moves are already covered so I didn't need much to come up with. Hope y'all like it!
Wow...I thought nearly the same exact thing for a move, at least how it looks and starts, but as his Upward Smash....It's nice. :3

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

You make moves look very awesome!
Though I'm unsure is this an idea that could possibly be used for Rayman in an actual Smash.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
raysketch.jpg

Rayman sketch I made just for fun...it has been a while since I have drawn him...

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Another late post, I blame it on school and homework.

Are you insinuating that these are even remotely comparable?

For one, Sega hired a bunch of guys from an unrelated company to make an unrelated game, Jak devs making a Sonic game, that's already a recipe for something wrong. These are the actual developers of Banjo, making their own game, something completely fresh and new with the old formula, and this is a labor of love, not "here's money, go do this."

Besides, this isn't the current washed up Rare filled with new guys who can't do anything, this is the RareWare. The original guys who were the greatest developers of all time. The glory days of gaming, DKC, Goldeneye, Banjo, they can do no wrong.

Plus Grant faffing Kirkhope, the greatest game composer that isn't Koji Kondo.
Wait, the entire Rareware crew is coming back? Hmm...

Forgive me for comparing the two, it's just that BRB had said that they were a group of former NaughtyDog developers, but I had read somewhere that the only "Ex-developer" was a graphic designer.

I didn't know if the same was true for these guys or not.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Nostalgia can be a good thing or a bad thing. I try not to fall victim to it tricking me, but I sometimes can't help it. Rayman 3, however is a game I genuinely love, nostalgia aside.

I could try that, would you prefer a nymph like design or Phosphora's regular design "Originized."

Yeah, the same can be said about Mario and Sonic in terms in nostalgia. It's great at first once in a while, but sometimes it's constantly put in almost all the time that it kind of gets dull eventually.

Really? That would be awesome! Let's see now. Since Phosphora is pretty much a nymph in her own way, I say Originize her regular design, but with a similar facial expression of the other nymphs. Thanks!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah, the same can be said about Mario and Sonic in terms in nostalgia. It's great at first once in a while, but sometimes it's constantly put in almost all the time that it kind of gets dull eventually.

Really? That would be awesome! Let's see now. Since Phosphora is pretty much a nymph in her own way, I say Originize her regular design, but with a similar facial expression of the other nymphs. Thanks!
Got it, I'll try to get working on that tomorrow.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah...even if someone did try to pose as him...it still doesn't cut it.
Who would of thought that the Magician had dark motives the whole time? I always thought he was just greedy...
Ohai methamphetamine :3

Yeah...the Magician won't ever rival Mr Dark himself. A shame that part of the story was scrapped in development, I wanted to see HD Mr Dark after all these years.

:sadsheep:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
What infuriated me about Origins was the severe lack of Mr. Dark.

:sadsheep:
You wouldn't believe how many of us fans of Rayman 1 are infuriated of the lack of Mr. Dark in Origins. Had this stayed an actual 'origins' story, we would've find out how he came to be in the first place.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You make moves look very awesome!
Though I'm unsure is this an idea that could possibly be used for Rayman in an actual Smash.
I'm glad you like it, but what makes you unsure? It's short range with multiple hits and it's different from most tilts, leaves him open to attack if he misses, and kinda Rayman-esque, but if you can elaborate I would welcome it.

I doubt any of my ideas would affect how a character plays though. That'd be too weird lol.

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A I'd be more infuriated if he was a Teensie :p

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
That Teensie is not Mr. Dark.

The correct term is fanboy. :p

Yeah, it stinks that they scrapped the dialogue on why he turned evil in the first place. I even read that there was going to be an unlockable costume of Ales but was scrapped, along with Uglette and Tarayzan.

I don't care if the next Rayman is going be in 2D or 3D. All I want from it is a better story to it, even if it won't follow the events of Origins or Legends.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I'm quite surprised that nobody seems to be talking about the new update for Smash 3DS. Shouldn't we all be going on a Rayman Mii sharing craze?

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I'm quite surprised that nobody seems to be talking about the new update for Smash 3DS. Shouldn't we all be going on a Rayman Mii sharing craze?
You mean like the QR Code sharing or direct sharing? Because I'm more than willing to contribute:

I already posted this up a couple of months ago, but this is for those who missed it around the first time.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I just realized that the update finally allows you to post to Miiverse without the need for the "New" Nintendo 3DS!

It may not matter to those who don't use Miiverse, but I thought I might point it out.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I just realized that the update finally allows you to post to Miiverse without the need for the "New" Nintendo 3DS!

It may not matter to those who don't use Miiverse, but I thought I might point it out.

Finally! The best workaround Nintendo has done for us. You know, I wish they have this option for ALL games by saving screenshots and posting them later on Miiverse. I know the 3DS version has something similar to that when on offline mode, but you could only save up to 3 posts at a time. Maybe in the next Nintendo handheld.

You know, one thing I hate about the 3DS Smash Bros updates is that every time you do so, all of your previous videos and photos are rendered unviewable and you have to delete them.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman's portrait looks a bit small, but the fact that it has a completely different model with so much detail...

Mewtwo also isn't using the render from the 50 facts video, which every single fake leak since has used.

Rayman even has a Lum for his icon, that's completely out there. His pose is even from the Rayman 1 boxart.

I don't want to get my hopes up, it needs to be nitpicked for minor details...

But that looks as real as the ESRB leak, which was real...

*Screams internally*

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I've got my reservations on it, mostly the lack of a video is the only thing that separates this from an ESRB-style leak. But... I'm not going to lie that the effort gone into it is staggering. If it is fake, then the leaker really did their homework on the franchise.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This is easily the most impressive fake I've seen in quite some time.

I say fake because nothing has been proven; that said, it looks staggeringly real.

Nintendo can have all my money if it ends up true.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm almost certain this is real....

I don't say that too often.

It's too bad that his eyebrows are WAY too big -.-

AbsoluteZer0Nova

Smash Cadet
You all realize that if this comes to pass we're clearly going to get Duke Nukem next and finally Master Chief. =P

Smash Kingdom saw the 3rd party characters announced in order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom