• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Rayman has no chance for this game but this guy did a great video on a moveset

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Great merciful ****hole.
A 3D MODEL OF RAYMAN...FROM LEGENDS...ORIGINS....IN SMASH.....OH MY GOD! I...I CAN'T....THIS IS....GOD!

:/ I know he will "that means he's not playable....." but it really got me surprised that a character from a french company like Ubisoft got in a japanese developed game....too bad it wasn't like Ezio Auditore in SoulCalibur...where he was playable...

Last edited:

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Hopes and dreams crushed into powder :c
It's quite realistically the best thing that could have happened without him being playable. With 3 third party mascots already playable, it seemed as if the gate for additional 3rd parties (barring Snake) was sealed shut until the next game. But this... holy crap. Sakurai went out of his way to get permission to get Rayman in some capacity.

I also can't help but imagine that the reason Ubisoft even made the model in the first place and sent the data to Sakurai was because, you know, they thought Sakurai's request to include him would be to make him playable. Sure fooled them. Well played, Sakurai.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just realized this.

Sakurai must be a big fan of Rayman if he wanted to go as far as to get a collectible trophy of him. Perhaps this means something for him when the next Smash game comes out.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Something I wanted to say. Sakurai never said he wasn't playable. However this could mean he might become DLC after the game is released. He also never said Wonder Red wasn't going to be playable.

Are Wonder Red and Rayman possible DLC characters?

~CoCo

Smash Cadet
I think it would be cool to have him in the game, he would fit right in with the other strange characters like Pac-Man, Mr.Game and Watch and even The Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven ;-)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My heart is about to beat out of my chest, I don't understand what's going on right now.

I swear to god if he isn't playable there better be a giant movement to add him as DLC.

This is cruel and unusual Sakurai.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I was assuming the trophies of playable characters would have the same pose as their character art like they did in Brawl and thought that's a weird pose for Rayman's character art. He looks kinda drunk.
But then I remembered Male WFT's trophy in the 3DS trailer was nothing like the character art.
It's awesome that Ubisoft make the model themselves. And people say Ubisoft abandoned Nintendo.
It's not playable character status, but I'm foaming from the mouth here from how awesome this trophy is.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait... what?! Rayman confirmed? Hinted? Deconfirmed? What is going on?!?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think this makes him such a strong strong candidate for DLC. Ubi-soft was more than kind about this and they supplied a whole new model for him.

Sakurai also seemed to care enough about Rayman to go out of his way to get a trophy for him. This is nothing but good for the future of Rayman when it comes to Smash Brothers.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
That was certainly unexpected.

Maybe Rayman's trophy means they'll let more third party characters in as trophies, or even assist trophies, even if they aren't playable.

I can still hope for Simon Belmont. This game needs a Castlevania nod.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OMFG MAN...I'm hyperventilating right now!!!!! H....HOLY **** OFFICIAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT?!?!?!?! I wasn't even expecting THAT MUCH. It's legit man, whether or not he's playable I THANK SAKURAI AND UBISOFT AND MICHEL ANCEL FOR THIS.

SAKURAI IS THE SANTA CLAUS OF VIDEO GAMES.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm guessing Rayman could be DLC... but even if he's not in SSB4, he's now a prime candidate for SSB5.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't know I'm just not prone to trust ''I heard from someone that they tried." out of nowhere.

First off, why would Sakurai even bother with a trophy if he didn't want Rayman in Smash Brothers? It's just a strange off concept to me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Right now I'm just hysterical that Rayman's got any sort of recognition at all. Playable or not this PotD has made my day.

And I want to believe what this John Harker guy said, the people on that site seem to be backing him up. However I'm more than happy with this pic alone so I'll just sit back and see how this ends.

Freaking amazing stuff..

Speculator

Smash Ace
Woah woah. What? NOT the potd I was expecting today. It seems very odd they would go to the trouble of getting rights for Rayman just to make him a trophy. If there was another Ubisoft character in Smash then I'd understand Ubisoft trophies, but just trophies and no character?

Is it possible Rayman is today's reveal, and this pic was intended to go out later? It seems bizarre saying it, but it seems even weirder that Sakurai would reveal a third party trophy and make no reference at all to the fact there's a reveal today.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
He's trying to fool us. Make us not expect him...

If he is playable though... Wonder Red is not deconfirmed anymore... Good god Rayman is saving Wonderful 101

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can't express how happy I am to see him aknowledged. :)

Just bought the original trilogy a month ago. If Rayman were to be playable... man, that'd be unexpected! The roster could use some Rayman to boost its quality even further!

But for now, rejoicing at the fact that he's aknowledged through a trophy! For now!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Can't express how happy I am to see him aknowledged. :)

Just bought the original trilogy a month ago. If Rayman were to be playable... man, that'd be unexpected! The roster could use some Rayman to boost its quality even further!

But for now, rejoicing at the fact that he's aknowledged through a trophy! For now!
We won't have long to find out if he is indeed the revealed newcomer or not (video lasts for 3 minutes), although Shulk would fit that criteria of a 3 minute video, I got a feeling a 3 minute video showing off Rayman and what his moves are (as well as his Final Smash) would be well worth it, although 4 3rd Party characters is overkill (we already have Megaman, Sonic & Pac-man in the roster, although if Rayman got in, not sure how the fanbase will react).

The anticipation is killing me.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I'm so glad he is at least in the game in some way.
Rayman is without a doubt my most played game ever (1, 2, 3 and M at least, i was not a big fan of the sidescrollers)
Seriously, I played the lum out of those games and it's awesome to see him in as at least a trophy.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I don't know I'm just not prone to trust ''I heard from someone that they tried." out of nowhere.

First off, why would Sakurai even bother with a trophy if he didn't want Rayman in Smash Brothers? It's just a strange off concept to me.
Basically if Harker is correct, Ubisoft approached Sakurai about possibly getting Rayman in Smash. For whatever reason, we ended up with a trophy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My condolences... and congratulations! You guys might be perhaps the only ones to get acknowledgement for supporting this character over so many other 3rd parties. It's quite best you can ask for now because well, 2 3rd parties.

Unless...

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Rayman 2 was my fourth favorite Dreamcast game back in the day, and Origins was a lot of fun as well. Welcome to the Smash family, Rayman... sort of.

So, I guess Rayman just joined Wonder Red and Inklings on my hypothetical first "Smash 5" roster prediction I'll totally be making in about four years.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I do remember reading on Gaf that an Ubisoft group approached Sakurai about getting Rayman in the game.

Funny little tidbit: This may be a slap to the face of PSASBR fans since Rayman, arguably, deserved a spot in that game. (Considering how well known the PS1 version his game was)
But I guess Rayman evolved into more of a Nintendo/misc console character over time.

Also, why would they put a big third party as ONLY a trophy. Seriously. Lol

Last edited:

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really part of this thread but I just read through it. Even though the potd showed him as a trophy (which would bar many people's hopes) you guys seem so optimistic still. That's honestly refreshing to see and I wanna thank you guys.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Notice how Sakurai mentions how hard it is making multiple models and then follows up with Ubisoft contributing. Although that could mean nothing in the end. It's still interesting.

Lol

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm not really part of this thread but I just read through it. Even though the potd showed him as a trophy (which would bar many people's hopes) you guys seem so optimistic still. That's honestly refreshing to see and I wanna thank you guys.
I never thought Rayman had a chance to be in Smash at all, just seeing him fills me with more joy than I've felt in years.

It also increases his chances to become DLC, and I will certainly throw in 1000000% of my support for him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never even realized how I'd be so down for him in Smash Brothers until this picture. The fact that he's even acknowledged gives me hopes of good things in the future.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think Rayman will be playable, but I would love if he was announced to be playable later today.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I do remember reading on Gaf that an Ubisoft group approached Sakurai about getting Rayman in the game.

Funny little tidbit: This may be a slap to the face of PSASBR fans since Rayman, arguably, deserved a spot in that game. (Considering how well known the PS1 version his game was)
But I guess Rayman evolved into more of a Nintendo/misc console character over time.

Also, why would they put a big third party as ONLY a trophy. Seriously. Lol
My thoughts exactly. Why bother with only a trophy ? We want him playable Sakurai-san !

domokl

Smash Lord
If rayman is the reveal today on a scale of one to hype how hype would you guys be?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If rayman is the reveal today on a scale of one to hype how hype would you guys be?
Beyond hyped² Not only Rayman is a character that would fit perfectly in Smash, but it would also be a big **** you to the Gematsu leak.

Top Bottom