• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ratings? Reviews? Pfaah I say (THIS, IS, SSBB!)

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
We all know that gamespot and various other places will find a reason to give this game a less than stellar score. What do you think those reasons will be.

-Doesn't Fully incorporate Wii-mote
-Too awesome
-Not named Halo
-Better Online
-3rd party characters
-and so on

anyone else?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They'll all give it a 7 because its not named Halo.

also, Ive been meaning to ask, I dont recognize the top left, or any of the bottom row pokemon in your sig.

Cold you tell me who they are?

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
We all know that gamespot and various other places will find a reason to give this game a less than stellar score. What do you think those reasons will be.

-Doesn't Fully incorporate Wii-mote
-Too awesome
-Not named Halo
-Better Online
-3rd party characters
-and so on

anyone else?
if galaxy got a 9.7 on ign, then brawl will get at least a 9.8 or higher! I mean come on this is brawl we are talking about, this is the halo 3 of the wii!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Lol I could list petty things to pick any great game apart, but it's just stupid to do so or accept any review that does. This thread seems familiar...

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
I think a reason it would get a lower score it would deserve is because of the hype.
The hype could affect the score in one of two ways.
It could overly hype the reviewer into giving it a really high score.

Or

It could set the bar too high for the reviewer and cause disappointment.

Regardless of score though, this game will sell. That's for sure.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
http://www.pokerealm.net/topazsprites/ it's from a game I'm working on.
but, they changed eaglair's sprite, and keep in mind many of those aren't final
Cheap way of advertising... Though I do have to begrudgingly admit they are extremely well done, easily just as good or better the the official ones.

Honestly I expect Brawl to get an extremely high score, possibly even higher then Galaxy.

Hero_of_Shadows

Smash Cadet
The most obvious reason is the writer of said review having a bias against Smash Bros or Nintendo Wii.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
Over-hyped yet a piece of crap in reality?

Never use that analogy again, please.
a piece of crap? you obviously have a horrible taste in video games.

But yeah, I think the main detractor will be the online mode. They're going to rip it apart, and keep comparing it to Xbox Live and such.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
halo 3 was to short heck my lil brother beat it in one day lol

Also Brawl should not score anything less then a 9

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It'll get a less than expected score because reviewers are not competitive gamers and don't know much about the depth that the SSB series really has.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
lol, thanks, and yeah those are the starters.
also, not advertising >: ( he asked and I told him.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Just online. And you can't blame them. Friend Codes, and no voice chat means no 10. Period.
Somebody give this boy a silver dollar! He's answered the question exactly as I would have.

That, and because it's on the Wii. Seriously, I saw Tales of Symphonia get a six on something, and their lead reason? It was on the Gamecube and not the PS2 or Xbox.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that'll factor in, too.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
Somebody give this boy a silver dollar! He's answered the question exactly as I would have.

That, and because it's on the Wii. Seriously, I saw Tales of Symphonia get a six on something, and their lead reason? It was on the Gamecube and not the PS2 or Xbox.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that'll factor in, too.

What drugs are you on to believe in those lies?

True Fool

Smash Ace
GameSpot: 8.25(being a little generous with that mind you)
IGN: 9-10
EGM: 9
GameInformer: 8.75
G4: Who gives a sh*t anymore?

Just my own personal predictions, based on what I know about these reviewers. I mean nothing by it. Feel free to debate over my numbers, but I may not defend it, as I don't have great sources.

*coughnintendodoesntpayasmuchasmicrosoftcough*

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
GameInformer is the only review outlet that I trust anymore. G4 can literally, mind you go to hell. They hyped halo beyond all reason, and put CRAPPY shows on the air because it will draw in more viewers. Attack of the show has nothing on the screen savers and gphoria is a joke. that said I can predict Brawl will get a 9.75, even though it will have endless replay value, honestly, no review outlet realizes melee is still being played today and is better than most games today.
end wall of text

Smash Ace
pfff... I wouldn't care if Sakurai himself gave this game a 7. My rating is the only one that matters. after you read it, you will agree.

the rating for smash bros brawl...

IS OVER 9000!!!
=2007=

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Just online. And you can't blame them. Friend Codes, and no voice chat means no 10. Period.
I disagree partically. As it stands with the Wii itself CANNOT do Voice Chat as of right now, in my opinion that's a pretty lousy reason to lower the score for something the system can't do.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I've read some of GameSpot's terrible reviews and in the end what it comes down to is bias and whether a game does what it is meant to, with bias taking the lead. Other sites and sources do seem to take more into consideration though.

I see Brawl going to same way as FE:RD did, only with higher scores. Averages will probably be around 9-10, with a few 8s thrown in there by places like GameSpot, depending on the reviewer.

I used their Radiant Dawn review since it was so poor. The game does not make full use of the Wii remote. I can see the problem there, it could have been used more than it was, but it's not like the controls are bad at all. No Mii support? That is a GOOD thing if you ask me, the reviewer said that all Wii games should incorporate Miis into the gameplay, which is completely ridiculous.

The game was "too hard" for a SRPG. I'm sorry, but if someone takes off points for a STRATEGY GAME being too difficult, there is a serious problem. That is like saying a shooting game is too violent, because you kill people. The reviewer even admitted he dislikes Japanese RPGs so I don't see why he reviewed it in the first place.

How it compares to Brawl, some reviewers are going to totally rip off a game, even if it's in a well respected series, because of their own biased opinions, and it very well could happen with Brawl. If I see scores of 7-8 in some places I won't be surprised.

"The core of the game, it's multiplayer, did not vary enough from it's predecessor. There is nothing that really stands out and screams new, or better."

"The game hardly makes use of the the aspects that make the Wii special, why have a Wii game that does not take advantage of Miis, motion sensing, and other areas of the system that would make it different than a fighter on the 360 or PS3."

"The game simply lacks depth, and looking beyond 'bonus features' there is no more replay value than the previous two Smash Brothers games."

"It's just too easy. I had no problem unlocking all of the characters and stages, and felt that the event matches were less than satisfying. The adventure mode was also very easy to complete, even my first time playing it."

"The selection of characters could have, and should have been better." <More detail based on roster, regardless of who is in>

True Fool

Smash Ace
Yay, someone else thinks the reviews for FE10 are garbage, whoo. >_>

But honestly, FE10's review was the last straw for me and GameInformer. They said so many misinformed things, it was terrible. They were under the impression that you get a game over for any unit's death, and they said something about RD being on the GC in Japan.

And of course GS whined about every little thing, like they do to any game that doesn't have the names Tony Hawk or Halo in them.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I say EGM got Fire Emblem: RD right, they basically held up that it's a solid addition to the franchise, and frankly that's correct.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I think the main thing that will hurt it (and it's actually a valid complaint) is lackluster online. But I still expect sites like IGN and 1up to give it 9.5+

gamespot I could care less about.

Xtremee

Smash Apprentice
a piece of crap? you obviously have a horrible taste in video games.

But yeah, I think the main detractor will be the online mode. They're going to rip it apart, and keep comparing it to Xbox Live and such.
What do you mean then? that "we" have a bad taste in video games 'cause we love brawl?

because what i have seen in brawl is inovation and originality and in Halo...

just another FPS so

If brawl gets a lower/higher score than what i was expecting it doesn't matter
at least not to me... :laugh:

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Lack of updating old game graphics that were carried over. (9/10)
Simple Controls and lack of Wiimote motion capabilities(9/10)

All else is covered.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
I fear that the term "too similar to previous installments" shall be used

Especially in Gamespot, if Nintendo isnt giving them advertising anyway.

Dabble

Smash Cadet
Quit comparing Halo to Brawl.

Apples and Oranges.

Instead, compare Melee to Brawl...

and it becomes clear.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not named Mario Galaxy should be the main reason.

I don't know, reviewers always hate sports games (like Madden, Tiger Woods, Mario Sports games, etc. when I have a blast with them). Reviewers for games are like movie critics, someetimes they pick the games/movies that no one likes and don't pick the ones everyone likes. They are a little better then movie critic, though.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I've never seen a group of people more upset about Halo. There's nothing wrong with the game; relax.

Top Bottom