• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Cross and Elma

Chance: Abstain
I do not know enough about them to rate them properly.

Want: 5%
I'm tired of Xenoblade Chronicles (and I'm also tired of new games getting representation in general, with the exceptions being Kirby Epic Yarn, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and most Wii games... but not Wii U games).

9-Volt prediction: Abstain (like with many of my favorite characters, I'm not sure whether or not he'll get a good or average score, so I'm abstaining myself from predicting)

Nominations: (Daisy and :roymelee:/:roypm: are already nominated or leaked respectively so...) (:172:/:pichumelee: is already nominated)
Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite Kid Icarus character)
Prince Fluff (:4kirby:/:kirby2:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby64: Epic Yarn) (Playable newcomer) (My favorite :kirby64:/:kirbymelee:/:kirby2:/:4kirby: character)
Emolga (Pokemon Black/White) (Playable newcomer) (One of my favorite pokemons... Plus, I needed someone to counter :4greninja:'s appearance, by having someone else from another recent generation)
:snake: (Metal Gear Solid) (Returning veteran) (My Brawl main, re-ratable, I missed his day)
King Boo (:4luigi:/:luigi2:/:luigimelee:/:luigi64:'s Mansion and many :4mario:/:mario2:/:mariomelee:/:mario64: spin-offs) (playable newcomer or stage boss on :luigi64:/:luigimelee:/:luigi2:/:4luigi:'s Mansion stage) (my second favorite character from the :mario64:/:mariomelee:/:mario2:/:4mario: series. Second only to the great Daisy)
Same exact nominations EVERY TIME UNTIL ONE OF THEM GETS ITS DAY! (I will then choose another character instead of the one who got its day)
(PS: The five nominated are Viridi, Prince Fluff, Emolga, Snake, and King Boo. Both five have a 1x of nomination each)

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Does XCX even have a release date? No? Well, there's your answer.

Elma & Cross (Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Chance:6%
True, Xenoblade is starting to become one of Nintendo's more iconic franchises, so I can see people attempting to justify their inclusion...but is it needed? Not really. I don't see fans voting for a new character of a very recent game within a relatively minor franchise, especially when they don't know how many DLC characters are going to be in game: Which is why most will stick to the popular picks, like K.Rool or Isaac. And I don't see Nintendo getting any benefit from it either; Shulk already promotes Xenoblade rather perfectly and a new character probably isn't going to help much, maybe even get some hate from other neglected franchises. Besides, they would probably favor to promote other unrepped franchises before Elma and Cross. Golden Sun and Splatoon come to mind.

Want:30%
Now, I have had Xenoblade X for about a month now, and while I haven't got too much time to play the game to its limits, when I can, I really REALLY enjoy what I'm experiencing. I honestly can see it being my favorite game of 2015, depending on how good Splatoon turns out and if Etrian Oddysey V comes out this year. With that being said, I think it would be a little unfair if either of these two got in before all the others that have been waiting for their turn in the spotlight(like K.Rool), or the relatively minor franchises that need some attention directed to them(Famicom Wars, Golden Sun, Panel de Pon, Custom Robo... Nintendo has a lot of IPs to uncover). I'd probably be all for them for Smash 5, maybe even top wanted, but I could do without them for now.

9-Volt predictions:15%
This or 20%.

Nominations:
Slime (Dragon Quest) x5

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Cross or Elma:
Chance (for smash 5): 27% each
Chance (as smash 4 dlc): 5% each

XCX most likely won't even be out yet when the ballot ends. It seems far more likely that we would get someone for XCX in smash 5 as opposed to smash 4. If we are looking to promote a new Wii U game, there are a certain group of :224: s that come to mind before these two.

Want: 0%
I picked up Xenoblade recently after deciding to main Shulk, and I really have been enjoying it. But if we get as many newcomers from one semi-obscure RPG series as we do from the entire Gamecube/GBA era I'm throwing my copy out a window...

Predicting 9 volt at 9%:troll:

Nominating 6+ dlc characters x5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

NOTE: I haven't played Xenoblade X and I haven't looked up any videos of it. All I know is from the Directs. I am really hyped for this game and I am avoiding spoilers like they are the plague.

Cross and Elma
Chance: 5%

This is a double rating.
With Cross, he is the avatar character like Robin and has a role in the plot. However, based on what I've seen from the Directs, he doesn't get much emphasis as the other characters. As such, I don't know if he has a central role or a side role. Is he important to the overall plot, much like Robin from Awakening? I don't know.
As for Elma, she seems more important based on promotional footage. She seems to be the next KOS-MOS based on how she is designed. However, this also hurts her as Seven from Xenoblade has a similar design as well.
However, they have a big problem; this game is too new. I doubt that they have a large amount of ballot votes or support. I think there could be some negative reception if they did get in, unique or not, because they are getting in over established Nintendo characters.
Overall... I am doubtful on their inclusion.

Want: Abstain
Typically, I would be against something like this because I rather have established characters over new characters, much like a reason why I am opposed to the Inklings's inclusion.
Now, I am a big fan of Xenoblade Chronicles... those who participated in the last RTC know that already. As such, I am curious about their inclusion, but I rather it not happen yet. That could change once I get the game; let me get Xenoblade X first before I say "Oh yeah! They should be in Smash!" I want to see if I can have a connection with these characters.

I bet I am going to cringe when I look back on this... I bet I got a crapton of things wrong. LOL

9-Volt Prediction: 3.99%
Yup.

Nominations: Owain 5x

Laniv

Smash Champion
Elma and Cross

Not today, maybe next time, when they've made their mark.

I'll have to play the game first.

9-Volt prediction: 10% Chance, 19% Want

Nominate Slippy x 5

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Elma / Cross
Chances: 5%
Want: 25%
Maybe for the next Smash? their game seems fun and everything, but is too new and not hyped enough (like Splatoon)

9Volt
Prediction: he isn't Waluigi but some people like him...10%

Noms:
Bub/Bob x5 :bubblebobble:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Trust me there are 0% story spoilers when I first checked out Cross's default class on the wiki, I listed all the weapons in my rating without spoilers so you guys can know.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Cross and Elma

Chance - 0.75% each - While they are from the critically acclaimed Xenoblade series, it's from the newest installment that hasn't even been internationally released. It will be a while until it is, and I don't think it will gather the international support to get in. Cross's one of the most customization characters ever, and I have yet to get any info on the defaults, making me think he doesn't even have any besides appearance. Elma, however, might get pushed aside for not being the true main character, so the chances I think are roughly equal.

Want - 45% - Xenoblade isn't the kind of series I can get into. I think it's fine where it's at now, and there are many other characters I want over them.

9-Volt prediction - 3.33% - Eh... just going to go with a pun here.

Nominations
New Palutena's Guidance X3
Anna (FE) X2

Troykv

Smash Master
Elma & Cross

They are too new... But has their popularity and Xenoblade is a great series.

Want: 35%

In other conditions I would give their a better want... But they are TOO NEW...

Prediction: 9-Volt

Chance: 3.5%
Want: 25%

Nominations

Micaiah x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So, the main character from the latest game in a niche franchise that is about a month old? And doesn't even have a release date outside of Japan?
Sorry to be that guy.​
It's going to get a release eventually, and Sakurai probably knows this. Even if by some rare case it only releases in Japan, there's one newcomer to show that you can be a character from an established franchise even if the game hasn't released outside of Japan.
:4lucas:

I really don't see much for these. Neither is really striking as an awesome character, considering that nobody knows about them. And there is a difference in doing research on characters and a character being a black box. We should look up the characters before we rate, but the average gamer should also be able to at least recognize a character in Smash without having to go to Google and ask "who's the anime guy in ssb?". In case anyone's wondering, yes, I looked up both the wikipedia article for the game, and the individual character pages for both - not that much is on any of these being that the game is brand new. And I still don't see much potential.
For those who haven't gotten to it yet, Elma and Cross, and the game itself.
But for all of the fanbase in Japan (is it really that big since I haven't even heard the name 'Cross' come up?), the series is still relatively unknown in the US. It seems unlikely that any XCX DLC they make would sell as well as, say an established character from an established franchise or a veteran. Besides, didn't we mention that Japan doesn't get the whole concept of voting-characters-like-Inklings-in-the-ballot-since-the-game-isn't-out? Same concept applies here - not many people have played the game, so not many people can support the unknown.
And besides, an intelligent business should promote DLC they know will sell, not promote DLC that they hope will be advertising - a YouTube video is cheaper than making a character.
With Sakurai's mindset, he decides what newcomers should be in and will likely not be based on what will sell, even if said character was popular. Sakurai's way of deciding newcomers is not based on solely on popularity (the ballot is more of suggestion box than anything really), Sakurai is pretty much open to any type of character and looks at games from many genres to see what interesting characters he can find and implement.

And another argument people hate - does Xenoblade really need more representation. For a (now) two game series, they've got a PC (who is one of the few playable characters to pop into existence without any series representation whatsoever in the previous games), an assist trophy, a stage, and now a Mii costume as well, not to mention a horde of trophies. For such a brand new series, that may be more than enough.
Yeah, but again, does representation really matter since were getting Roy and 5 FE characters on the roster?

Oh, and before anyone says "But Roy was in Melee before his game came out, and that was to get Americans interested in his series!" That's half-true. The non-JP versions were going to cut the FE characters, so that wasn't their goal. Yes, Roy did debut in Melee, but that hasn't happened since. That seems like more the exception than the norm.
Even then, Sakurai decided that they would be released outside of Japan too should tell you he's open to those kinds of characters now. The fact that he decided even with Lucas later on should tell you that he can make characters from JP only games.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's going to get a release eventually, and Sakurai probably knows this. Even if by some rare case it only releases in Japan, there's one newcomer to show that you can be a character from an established franchise even if the game hasn't released outside of Japan.
:4lucas:

And besides, an intelligent business should promote DLC they know will sell, not promote DLC that they hope will be advertising - a YouTube video is cheaper than making a character.[/QUOTE]
With Sakurai's mindset, he decides what newcomers should be in and will likely not be based on what will sell, even if said character was popular. Sakurai's way of deciding newcomers is not based on solely on popularity (the ballot is more of suggestion box than anything really), Sakurai is pretty much open to any type of character and looks at games from many genres to see what interesting characters he can find and implement.

Yeah, but again, does representation really matter since were getting Roy and 5 FE characters on the roster?

Even then, Sakurai decided that they would be released outside of Japan too should tell you he's open to those kinds of characters now. The fact that he decided even with Lucas later on should tell you that he can make characters from JP only games.
[/quote]
Both Roy and Lucas were added to the base roster for their respective games, players weren't paying for them as separate characters. The risk wasn't as great because of that. We're talking about paid DLC, if we were speculating for the next Smash game I'd almost expect one of them to make the base roster.
The situation is similar for the Inklings, many are skeptical that they will become DLC because they haven't been released yet, though they most likely will sell better because they have been marketed like crazy with all the Splatoon hype not to mention they actually have a lot of ballot support. Xenoblade has been marketed fairly well, but not to the same point as Splatoon where it is 'Nintendo's Next Big IP'

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Helloooooooooooo new Inkling-esque bandwagon characters. Or shall I say, would be Inking-esque bandwagon character.

Elma & Cross

Chance: 10%

The game is still out in Japan which leaves only one side of the word to cast their votes for the characters, even though they were confused at the fact that "gaijins" were hyping the hell out of the Inklings. While Xenoblade is already an established franchise at this point, there is currently little to no demand for neither Elma or Cross. Sure they have the Skells and guns to be more interesting than Shulk, but you don't really see any interest in the characters (Or Elma to a lesser extant since the few supports like the idea of another strong female character). Unlike Robin who had a default appearance and a clear personality, Cross is your average bland create-a-character like the Miis and Villager in what's supposed to be a story heavy RPG. Again, I'd rather see more of the game without spoilers so that I can see what merit they even have.

Want: 35%

While I am interested in Xenoblade X, it's better for me to buy the game for myself before I would fully want them. But they do have their fair share of new weapons in comparison to Shulk and come from a more technologically advanced age.

9-Volt Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Takamaru x5 #SlashtheVote

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Both Roy and Lucas were added to the base roster for their respective games, players weren't paying for them as separate characters. The risk wasn't as great because of that. We're talking about paid DLC, if we were speculating for the next Smash game I'd almost expect one of them to make the base roster.
Yeah, but that's really irrelevant to Cross's chances really, that's something Nintendo will probably deal with when it comes to Sakurai adding Cross in the game, he'll likely come in a pack with popular character so he can sell well.

The situation is similar for the Inklings, many are skeptical that they will become DLC because they haven't been released yet, though they most likely will sell better because they have been marketed like crazy with all the Splatoon hype not to mention they actually have a lot of ballot support. Xenoblade has been marketed fairly well, but not to the same point as Splatoon where it is 'Nintendo's Next Big IP'
Not really, because Splatoon hasn't been an established franchise as of yet, Xenoblade already is one, and it certainly can get another character with Xenoblade X released in Japan already and soon other regions. Sakurai doesn't have to be skeptical because it's not an upcoming IP. If Cross is going to be considered, it's going to be through pre-ballot. Not all will be determined with popularity in mind.

Nintendo isn't going to cut Cross just because he can't sell on his own, there are easy ways around this.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, but that's really irrelevant to Cross's chances really, that's something Nintendo will probably deal with when it comes to Sakurai adding Cross in the game, he'll likely come in a pack with popular character so he can sell well.

Not really, because Splatoon hasn't been an established franchise as of yet, Xenoblade already is one, and it certainly can get another character with Xenoblade X released in Japan already and soon other regions. If Cross is going to be considered, it's going to be through pre-ballot. Not all will be determined with popularity in mind.
Yeah I'm thinking IF it will happen it is pre-ballot, but even then spots are limited and seemingly used for mostly vets (Mewtwo, Lucas, possibly Roy and a high likelyhood of Wolf, with Ryu being the only non-vet possibility, and with 5 slots added most likely for pre-ballot characters that leaves one spot) so chances are still not in their favour (for either Inklings or Cross/Elma) like I said if we're talking the base roster for Smash 5 I almost expect them to make it in but as for DLC I'm still skeptical...especially since both Elma and Cross probably don't have much ballot support outside of Japan...but then again we still don't know how far DLC will go in terms of characters added...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah I'm thinking IF it will happen it is pre-ballot, but even then spots are limited and seemingly used for mostly vets (Mewtwo, Lucas, possibly Roy and a high likelyhood of Wolf, with Ryu being the only non-vet possibility, and with 5 slots added most likely for pre-ballot characters that leaves one spot) so chances are still not in their favour (for either Inklings or Cross/Elma) like I said if we're talking the base roster for Smash 5.
So were ending it with limited spots argument again? :L
Yeah, we only have two characters revealed and there's not much to go by that there will be less spots for DLC, and based on what Sakurai has said regarding adding as much DLC as possible, I think there will be more characters in the roster than we would have expected.

I almost expect them to make it in but as for DLC I'm still skeptical...especially since both Elma and Cross probably don't have much ballot support outside of Japan...but then again we still don't know how far DLC will go in terms of characters added...
Again not all will be determined by the ballot here.
With big hyped game like Xenoblade X being Nintendo's big major releases, it's likely that Sakurai has considered Cross in that game and is determining if he should be in the game or not. And he's likely somewhere in the middle high of his priority list because of this.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Splatoon rating: OMG GUYS BRAND NEW GAME SO AWESOME WE TOTALLY NEEEED (NEEEEED!!!!) INKLINGS IN SMASH!!!1!!

Cross and Elma: eh, they're too new.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Splatoon rating: OMG GUYS BRAND NEW GAME SO AWESOME WE TOTALLY NEEEED (NEEEEED!!!!) INKLINGS IN SMASH!!!1!!

Cross and Elma: eh, they're too new.
True, especially since they already know that Splatoon would eventually be the next new thing while they have little hope in XX pulling off even better sales than the first game. You know there's something wrong when Nintendo had been heavily promoting this one game and failing to do so for other tiles like Xenoblade X and The Unfortunately Underrated Wonderful 101.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Xenoblade is being well promoted, it's just not as big as Splatoon right now. :U
For crying out loud, we had multiple directs about the game to advertise and get people excited about the game. :/

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Xenoblade is being well promoted, it's just not as big as Splatoon right now. :U
For crying out loud, we had multiple directs about the game to advertise and get people excited about the game. :/
Multiple directs? Sure.

But Mii Fighter outfits, a one-time amusement attraction, and a manga in CoroCoro Magazine? Not even close.

Not saying that Xenoblade Chronicles X had less advertisement than Splatoon, but Nintendo's bias towards that game is too big to ignore unlike a certain dragon. The major difference is that nearly the whole world gets to experience the latter during the ballot's run while God knows when the West will get their hands on the former. You didn't see anyone going easy on Codename S.T.E.A.M. during Henry Fleming's day since the game at the time wasn't even out in Europe and Japan yet (Plus the fact that it didn't cause an impact like your average Fire Emblem title).

StormC

Smash Hero
1. K. Rool: 75%/100%
2. Banjo-Kazooie: 10%/70%
3. Isaac: 60%/40%
4. Bandana Dee: 50%/25%
5. Captain Toad: 25%/15%
6. Krystal: 25%/15%
7. Dixie Kong: 50%/50%
8. Impa: 50%/50%
9. Shantae: 15%/40%
10. Inklings: 55%/40%
11. Rayman: 30%/40%
12. Snake: 40%/70%
13. Wolf: 85%/65%
14. Shovel Knight: 20%/40%
15. Quote: 15%/45%
16. Ice Climbers: 10%/35%
17. Sceptile: 20%/50%
18. Wonder Red: 20%/35%
19. Promoted NPCs: 5%/Abstain
20. Henry Fleming: 15%/15%
21: Paper Mario: 30%/20%
22. Roy: 95%/0%
23. Ridley: 5%/80%
24. Chorus Kids: 25%/35%
25. DLC Alternate Costumes: 75%/75%
26. Magalor: 15%/30%
27. Midna/Link: 1%/5%
28. Ray: 20%/35%
29. Tetra: 20%/20%
30. Pichu: 15%/0%
31. Ryu: 90%/30%
32. Phoenix Wright: 15%/55%
33. Lip: 15%/35%
34. Simon Belmont: 5%/30%
35. Daisy: 15%/0%
36. Ninten: 5%/10%
37. Squirtle/Ivysaur: 20%/30%
38. Layton: 10%/30%
39. Spyro: 5%/30%
40. Music: Abstain/30%
41. KOS-MOS: 0.5%/0%
42. Rhythm Heaven character: 50%/35%

For both Cross and Elma...

Chance: 10%. Game won't be out internationally for a while and I don't see a new series in Smash getting 2/3 unique characters.

Want: 30%. Save them for 5mash.

Beast Ganon 5x

9-Volt prediction: 5%

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Multiple directs? Sure.

But Mii Fighter outfits, a one-time amusement attraction, and a manga in CoroCoro Magazine? Not even close.

Again, it's already a highly advertised game, just not as big as Splatoon. Not all have to be pushed super-duper hard by Nintendo for Sakurai to consider Cross for playability. And it's already an established franchise as I said before, so less risk is involved with that, arguably less so than Splatoon and it being a new IP..

Not saying that Xenoblade Chronicles X had less advertisement than Splatoon, but Nintendo's bias towards that game is too big to ignore unlike a certain dragon. The major difference is that nearly the whole world gets to experience the latter during the ballot's run while God knows when the West will get their hands on the former.

Just because the game hasn't released outside of Japan doesn't mean he's out of Sakurai's radar completely.
Even then, Lucas and many other FE characters prove that he can add characters from games that have only been released in Japan so far.

You didn't see anyone going easy on Codename S.T.E.A.M. during Henry Fleming's day since the game at the time wasn't even out in Europe and Japan yet (Plus the fact that it didn't cause an impact like your average Fire Emblem title).

And again the difference between Xenoblade and Codename S.T.E.A.M. is that Xenoblade is already an established franchise while the latter isn't. Comparing him to new IPs doesn't work.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Cross & Elma

Chance: 20% - Hmm, we already have Shulk to represent the Xenoblade franchise, and I feel that he's all that's really necessary to represent the series. Of course, they are from the new game, but why is it necessary to add a character whenever a series get's a new game. If that were the case, We'd have MANY more Mario and Zelda characters, heck, we'd even have more Metroid and DK characters as well.

Want: 10% - Eh, to me, they're in a similar position to Inklings. However, the difference here is that Splatoon is a completely new series, and these are just new characters in an existing series. This definitely helps the two's chances. However, they also seem like they'd run in a similar vain to Robin and Chrom. To keep Robin "unique," I'd rather these guys stay out of Smash, at least for now anyways.

9-Volt Prediction - I'm gonna run with the 9% joke, just because that's how irony works. Plus, I feel that if we did get another Wario Rep, it would probably be Mona.

Nominations:
Meowth X3
Chibi-Robo X2

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cross & Elma

Chance: 10%

With Xenoblade making it's debut appearance as a franchise in Smash 4, I doubt it will get another rep as DLC. Smash 5 for sure will have a new Xenoblade rep though.

Haven't played the game before.

Prediction
9-Volt: 9%

Nominations
Young Link X5

StormC

Smash Hero
The fact that Sakurai has accommodated for upcoming, Japanese-centric games before isn't enough for me to consider a XCX character as likely simply because DLC is going to have less characters added than a whole new game and there's pretty stiff competition. Even a character like Roy was a last minute clone. There isn't a lot blocking Cross/Elma, no, but there isn't much of an incentive either.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Splatoon is first party, developed by in-house Nintendo.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Didn't say it was likely at all, just said in my rating he has good shot of happening. He's not going to be any likelier unless he gets leaked soon. I gave him a 25% in chance, so that should tell you I'm not raising my hopes for Cross too high.

The fact that Sakurai has accommodated for upcoming, Japanese-centric games before isn't enough for me to consider a XCX character as likely simply because DLC is going to have less characters added than a whole new game and there's pretty stiff competition.
If you're comparing DLC to the 50 playable characters we have now, then that's fine as that's extremely unlikely to happen. But I think we'll get more than 10 DLC characters, and certainly Cross has the slight bigger edge in getting chosen over some characters.

D

Deleted member

Also, it's worth pointing out that Splatoon is first party,
So is Xenoblade, being developed by a fully first party subsidiary of Nintendo.
developed by in-house Nintendo.
That may or may not mean anything in regards to Smash, which wasn't developed in-house either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh boy, I can't wait for the blatant bias that will happen on Monita's day since I can already imagine people overrating her because of the two songs for the Miiverse stage and the Nintendo theme park announcement. I mean come on, it's obviously going to happen soon and I can see that coming a mile away. :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Songs don't equal better chances, and we don't know if Monita will appear in the theme park yet to see if she's going to be an essential part of Nintendo. Even though she's not requested at all, Sakurai could potentially throw a Wii Fit Trainer again since he knows the franchise itself has been pretty successful with it's 3.06 million copies it has sold since it's release 3 years ago.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Cross & Elma
Chance 5%
Want 95%
I want them to be in the game sooooo.... badly but I know they won't because they're probably going to be in Smash Bros. in Nintendo NX
Nominations:
TalimX2(SoulCalibur)
Silver the HedgehogX2(Sonic series)
Nightmare(SoulCalibur)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Elma and Cross
Chance: (Elma) 4.3%, (Cross) 3.7%
Out of the two, I'd say Elma has a slightly better chance due to seemingly having more of a personality and more of a focus in Xenoblade X's story. Don't hold me to that; I'm trying to avoid spoilers myself. That's just what it seems from the promotional ads and all. Although I don't think either of them have that great of a chance. I think Shulk is enough to represent the Xenoblade franchise, and it's more likely that Nintendo will wait until the next Smash to add another Xenoblade rep if they're interested in doing so. I can't really go into more detail since I'm waiting to play the game myself, so I'll give the newest faces of the Xenoblade franchise ratings of 4.3 and 3.7 respectively.
All just my personal opinion this time around...

Want: (Both) 5%
I do enjoy this franchise, and I'm excited for the new game. But Shulk is enough for me to be satisfied with how the series is represented in Smash 4.

Prediction - 9-Volt: 7.9%

Nominations:
x5 Toon Zelda

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
If they are interested in adding Cross, they're going to do it now so that they can maximize sales of XCX. @ Scamper52596 Scamper52596
That's definitely true. I still don't feel it's all that likely they'll add Cross to the roster this time around though. Shulk was enough to get people everywhere to hear about the Xenoblade franchise, so the job has basically already been done.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not really, the job Shulk has done can be maximized more with Cross's addition in the roster.
He specifically promotes Chronicles 3D really, Cross would promote the newest game of the franchise to get people interested.

He's not going to say "I think we should wait for a few years till the next Smash to justify more characters of Xenoblade.", it doesn't work that way. It's better to do it now than later. You don't see people doing that when it comes to Captain Toad, whose game can promoted by adding him as DLC now to maximize profits.
@ Scamper52596 Scamper52596

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Cross & Elma

Chance (Cross): 10%
He's the main character and could serve to promote the game, but there's an even likelier choice...

Chance (Elma): 25%
She's one of those cases where they might skip over the "main character" and add someone else instead. Honestly from what I've seen, Cross feels like he was added just to expand the customization feature in the game, while Elma actually feels like the true main character being featured heavily throughout the story and promotional material. However, both don't seem to be doing so well in the ballot as of now (maybe once the game gets released outside Japan, they'll gather more votes).

Want (Cross): 0%
Why have the average avatar character with no defined personality when you can have...

Want (Elma): 50%
The actual main character from the game that could bring a fun moveset with her dual blades and pistols, whatever Arts she uses and piloting the Dolls. While she's the next Xenoblade character I would like to see, she isn't even a month old, and I might enjoy her better in 5mash.

Nominations:
Monita x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Not really, the job Shulk has done can be maximized more with Cross's addition in the roster.
He specifically promotes Chronicles 3D really, Cross would promote the newest game of the franchise to get people interested.

He's not going to say "I think we should wait for a few years till the next Smash to justify more characters of Xenoblade.", it doesn't work that way. It's better to do it now than later. You don't see people doing that when it comes to Captain Toad, whose game can promoted by adding him as DLC now to maximize profits.
@ Scamper52596 Scamper52596
I understand the idea that sales can be maximized with Cross's specific addition, but do you really think Sakurai will add him? Will taking the time to create Cross as a character for DLC be worth the extra sales for this game; a type of game where if you own a Wii U and are into the genre, you're likely going to buy it anyways? More hardcore gamers care for JRPGs, and most people who will buy this type of game are already looking into purchasing Xenoblade X. Anyone that previously didn't know about the Xenoblade franchise (a lot of people) and are willing to get into the franchise will do so because of Shulk's inclusion.

Also, has it been confirmed that Shulk was chosen to be on the roster due to Xenoblade being remade for the New 3DS? I doubt the port was in development that long. It's more likely that Nintendo chose to create the port because Sakurai wanted Shulk on the roster as his inclusion would get people to purchase it, and at the same time get those people to look into Xenoblade X.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I understand the idea that sales can be maximized with Cross's specific addition, but do you really think Sakurai will add him? Will taking the time to create Cross as a character for DLC be worth the extra sales for this game; a type of game where if you own a Wii U and are into the genre, you're likely going to buy it anyways? More hardcore gamers care for JRPGs, and most people who will buy this type of game are already looking into purchasing Xenoblade X. Anyone that previously didn't know about the Xenoblade franchise (a lot of people) and are willing to get into the franchise will do so because of Shulk's inclusion.
Yes, the is he worth the inclusion is said every time here, and with Sakurai's diversity of choices and how he looks upon many types of games, that would be a total yes.

Also, has it been confirmed that Shulk was chosen to be on the roster due to Xenoblade being remade for the New 3DS? I doubt the port was in development that long. It's more likely that Nintendo chose to create the port because Sakurai wanted Shulk on the roster as his inclusion would get people to purchase it, and at the same time get those people to look into Xenoblade X.
No not really, Shulk probably got added in the game due to game merit and a decent amount of popularity. Cross will likely be a Roy situation since Xenoblade is already an established franchise.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yes, the is he worth the inclusion is said every time here, and with Sakurai's diversity of choices and how he looks upon many types of games, that would be a total yes.
My question was whether or not it's worth it to add Cross to promote Xenoblade X despite Shulk being able to get people to consider trying the franchise out on his own. I didn't say anything about the diversity of Sakurai's choices.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My question was whether or not it's worth it to add Cross to promote Xenoblade X despite Shulk being able to get people to consider trying the franchise out on his own. I didn't say anything about the diversity of Sakurai's choices.
Yes it would, and I'm sure Sakurai's diversity with choices is pretty relevant to the discussion we're having right now, even if Cross isn't really requested. Sakurai looks at a variety of upcoming games (unlike most people here who just look at franchises based on what's popularly requested for Smash and find merit in that) and it is a major release Nintendo has coming up, and with Xenoblade being an established, decently popular franchise, it can get far more exposure through adding him in the game.

Top Bottom