• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Goku!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chance: 0.01%
Just because your show aired on a Nick channel once 10 years ago doesn't mean you can just be in a Nick crossover game. Things aren't that easy.
Want: 25%
On one hand. Goku is cool. On the other, I don't think he really deserves to be in this game. I'm sure most people didn't even know Nick ever aired DBZ until this game was announced.
Noms: Azula x15
DAY OVER
Rate Concept: Dreamworks Character, predict Dora The Explorer.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Never happening, though if he were to be in a good version of NASB I think he'd be really fun.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Refrain on Dreamworks, though I may evaluate them later

Dora prediction: 17.9%
For a lot of people, Dora being a preschool show will make it hard to go anywhere past a 2%, but her iconic value; pre launch speculation; and recent history in slightly aged up material may make some (including myself) think differently. Either way, this will be a very divisive round - maybe even moreso than Hugh.

2 noms towards sitcom stage, 2 noms towards KCAs, 1 nom towards Parker J.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You, higher mammal, can you tell me how to get into NASB?
Chance: 1%.
The Dreamworks Nicktoons are a unique bunch, in that instead of being 2010s Nicktoons which were canceled because they weren't immediately Spongebob-tier hits, they were canceled because of Dreamworks being bought out by Universal, making it too expensive to keep producing episodes. And that's the keyword here, expensive. The only reason their rating isn't 0% is because a fighting game character wouldn't be as expensive as an entire season of a TV show, given Ludosity was able to make 22 of them on their tiny budget within a year.

At the same time however, Dreamworks and Nickelodeon lack incentives to interact with each other again. After their Nicktoons were canceled, Dreamworks started working with Netflix to make TV series out of their movies, which were more successful, and Nick would rather just forget about said Nicktoons, only putting them on Paramount+ because they still have the broadcasting rights.

Want: Abstain
I watched the movies, but not the Nicktoons. I think I'd want Po the most, but I don't affiliate him with Nick enough thanks to my lack of watching Legends of Awesomeness.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
[insert Dreamworks face here]
Chance: 1%

If this game were being made in 2015, this would probably be close to 100%. Alas, corporate politics happened and now Viacom has next to zero incentive to work with Dreamworks on anything. That doesn't make it impossible for someone like Po or the Penguins of Madagascar to show up, but it does make things exceedingly unlikely for them. If any Dreamworks character were requested on the level of picks like Jenny and Timmy, this might have a more-than-negligible chance of happening, but right now the demand just isn't noticeable enough for Nick, Ludosity, or anyone involved with the game to wanna shell out the extra expense. This is very much a "maybe next time" thing.

Want: 80%

The Penguins are lowkey among my most wanted, and also it'd be super funny if they opened the door for Shrek to be in. Yes, I know Shrek never had a show on Nickelodeon, but if they already have Dreamworks on board, I can see the memelords at Ludosity wanting to do something like that. Maybe he could be our first guest character down the line, who knows! (Also getting Po in here would be fun simply so we can have Jack Black's voice in the game.)

Dora Prediction: 9.6%
Yeah... I dunno. Dora is iconic, but this game's target audience (not to mention the people who actually play it) aren't gonna care if she gets in aside from maybe a few memes. I don't think Nick, Ludosity, or GameMill have much of a reason to choose her.

Noms to Fred the Fish

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
moon fishing

chances: 0% i dont see this one myself. dreamworks connection with nick sounds like it no longer exists. not to mention the competition might be to high with many other nick shows who are probably more likely. with no indication that 3rd party characters are going to be a thing in this game im unwilling to give them an outside chance. i also think its more likely that dreamworks will get its own platform fighter one day.

want: 0% eh its not for me. i kinda dont expect much in the way of quality from dreamworks sue to what few of their films that i actually liked got milked to oblivion and back in a way that it tainted the ones i liked. and im a nintendo gamer youd think id be immune to such things. theres maybe one or two characters i could get behind but over all id rather not.

noms to jon arbuckle

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
That depends on if they actually shell out the money or go for the show's cheaper VA.
I actually didn't know Po had a different VA for the Nick show. That's not surprising considering how cheap a lot of these Nickelodeon-syndicated Dreamworks shows were, but it does make me a little sad.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Dreamworks Character

Chance: 5% -
I'm not gonna rule it out entirely, but things aren't looking as good as they used to for a Dreamworks character. Nickelodeon broke off the licensing deal with Dreamworks several years ago, as the shows based on their movies were becoming too expensive to produce, not helped by Universal Studios buying Dreamworks in 2016. Dreamworks now works with Netflix on their shows to greater success. Though it's not like it was a hostile break-off, so while the incentive isn't there, I don't see any old grudges interfering with any potential future business propositions. Nick also has a relationship with Universal, and while it has waned over the years (Nickelodeon used to have several Nick-themed rides at Universal Studios amusement park, and they were often marketed together with the now-defunct Nick Hotel), Nick does still have a presence at the park, if a minor one. Plus, Universal's owner, Comcast, is a cable company, so there isn't direct competition with Viacom (unlike Disney) despite both being in the entertainment industry. So while there isn't much in the way of ongoing partnerships, the path is certainly still open. Plus a lot of Dreamworks characters would be profitable, so if Nick is willing to open their wallet a bit (licensing for a game appearance is way less expensive than producing a TV show, plus the Dreamworks character would be ala carte, so simply giving a cut to Comcast would make licensing fees easier to negotiate), it could be more likely than you'd think.

While not as big as characters like the Big Four, along with other Nick-created characters, I have seen a surprising amount of fan demand for Dreamworks characters like Po or Skipper. This will likely only grow once the big picks are in, it really depends on how much DLC we get. As to which character we'd get, there's a few I think are the frontrunners, and I've seen decent poll results and fan demand for almost all of them.

Skipper or Rico - Madagascar's always been a popular franchise, and I've seen plenty of fan demand for the Penguins. Alongside that, considering All Hail King Julian is a thing, Dreamworks still gives this franchise a lot of love. Skipper I'm feeling as the most likely choice, because, unlike TMNT, he's undisputably the 'main' penguin. You could include him without it feeling weird that the others aren't there. Alternatively, there's Rico, who feels like the "Michelangelo" of the bunch, being the sorta silly/crazy one with a lot of wacky moveset potential. He can basically pull anything out of his stomach! I've seen a few people present him as an alternative Madagascar/Penguins rep to Skipper. Behind all of them, I've seen the occasional suggestion of Dr. Blowhole, though I don't see a reason for the devs to choose him unless he had explosive fan demand, which he does not. Surprisingly I've also seen no fan demand for Alex, Marty, Melmen, or Gloria, despite them being the franchise's main characters, though one can assume that, because they weren't in the show, they don't feel as "Nickelodeon" to some.

Po - I've seen a surprising amount of love for Legends of Awesomeness, and thus fan demand for Po as well. The Kung Fu Panda franchise gets a lot of respect for its' accuracy to Chinese culture, and while I don't know how much of that Legends of Awesomeness retained, I can see where the love for Po stems from. He, like the penguins, is also very combat-ready, and his interesting style of Kung Fu could be very nicely blended into a moveset, with lots of room for comedy as well! There's no shortage of source material. There's also the fact that the Kung Fu Panda franchise still gets new content to this day, with multiple recent animated series, including The Dragon Knight which is premiering this year. So if negotiations between Nick and Dreamworks were to take place, I can see them pushing for Po. Granted, it depends on which one Ludocity favors (since they choose the characters), though if they were to ask for Po I can see him being more appealing to the higher-ups for approval, given the marketing potential. With voice acting on the way, one can say that him being voiced by Jack Black could be a budget problem, though considering his extensive history with Nickelodeon (School of Rock, Kids' Choice Awards host in 2006, Nacho Libre, etc) I can see him being easy to work with! Finally, Po is the undisputed frontrunner of his franchise, being the main character and with no alternatives being pushed instead.

Shrek - Yep, I'm actually gonna go there! I think Shrek has a shot at taking a Dreamworks slot if it were to happen! True, Shrek doesn't have much fan demand, but that can likely be attributed to people thinking he's not eligible (if people knew he was, I almost guarantee he'd have Hugh Neutron levels of demand). He's extremely popular, especially to a general audience, and is essentially the mascot of Dreamworks, so there's definitely an argument for him. He didn't get a show like the two franchises above, but he's still had plenty of presence on the channel through ads and airings of his movies. Goodgrief and I were actually having a very good discussion about this a few weeks back! Shrek has loads of craziness, comedy, and unflitered gross-out, which meshes very well with the Nick brand, so if he were to get in he wouldn't feel out of place (as opposed to something like, say, How to Train your Dragon). Plus, we know how much the devs love their memes, and Shrek has no shortage of them! Along with that, Shrek is one of THE meme 4th party characters for Smash, and the devs are more than into Smash memes, so if they had the opportunity to ask for Shrek I definitely think they would go for it (plus, he'd be way more feasible than Goku would be). So while Shrek doesn't have as much of a Nickelodeon presence or fan demand as the other frontrunners, I definitely think he has the qualities to make up for it!

As for other Dreamworks properties, I don't have much confidence. Monsters vs Aliens did get a show, but it didn't do very well and is almost never brought into the discussion. How to Train your Dragon is pretty popular among Dreamworks fans but not among All Star Brawl's Audience. And let's not even get into their other franchises like The Croods or Boss Baby.

So overall, Dreamworks characters have a much bigger hurdle to climb than they would've 6-8 years ago, and their demand is more diluted due to several closer-to-Nick lynchpins not even being in yet. But once we get more of them I think that Dreamworks will be one of the most likely (if not the most likely) 3rd parties to be speculated on!

Want: 70% - Depends on who the character is! Right now I think there are other, Nick-made characters that All Star Brawl should focus on right now, and I have bigger priorities for characters I'd want to see. But I would still be VERY happy if we got a Dreamworks character! Shrek would be the absolute funniest thing and he was big right as I was growing up, and both he and Madagascar were some of my favorite movie franchises! Po definitely less so since I've never seen any of the Kung Fu Panda movies or shows, but I have a lot of respect for him and the love that went into his franchise, along with the cool things that he would being to the table! Furthermore, it'd be great from a historical standpoint! Dreamworks and Universal have played a pretty big role in Nick's history, and the former would be the last big lynchpin of the 2010's (alongside TMNT and The Loud House) to get in an sorta round out the era a little more! Plus if we got Po that brings in Jack Black, who also has had plenty of history with Nickelodeon! So while there are other priorities right now, adding a Dreamworks down the line would be a fantastic idea!

Nominations:
Clyde McBride x10

Predictions:
Dora the Explorer - 3.17% - We don't know if Nick Jr. characters are on the table, even with Live Action Dora being a thing. Furthermore, Nick Jr. support lays almost entirely on Blue, so I don't see many confident scores.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Somebody once told me that the Penguins of Madagascar were eligible for Nicktoons all stars

Chance: 10%

This makes more sense than something like DBZ. Nick used to collaborate with Dreamworks a lot with shows like The Penguins of Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, and more. I think it's also worth mentioning that characters like Rico, King Julien, and Dr. Blowhole were in the flash games too. So that contributes to them being affiliated with Nicktoons. The big problem is that Dreamworks Animation is now owned by Universal, and with them being owned by such a big company, that ensues legal and financial obstacles. Not that it can't happen but if you ask me, I view the Dreamworks properties as something that will become viable for the sequels when the Nicktoons All Stars brand hopefully grows. For now, the best chance of this happening is if the game grows enough to the point where perhaps the devs could scramble enough resources to obtain the rights to one character.

Want: 70%

It depends on which character it is. I haven't watched like half of Dreamwork's stuff so if it's any of those characters, they probably wouldn't do anything for me. But the characters that are most associated with Nickelodeon do interest me. Po would be nice and The Penguins of Madagascar was a show that I watched a lot so I would be happy with one of the penguins making it in (I'm leaning towards Rico since he was fun in the flash games). And I have to bring him up: while I don't affiliate Shrek with Nickelodeon, he is the kind of troll character that I can see the devs having a blast with and he would be hilarious.

Prediction: Dora - 15%

As for noms, I'm beginning to dig into the bottom of the barrel, starting with: Josh and Parker (Mr. Meaty) x10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jeffery Katzenberg's Revenge Factory.

Chance - 1%:
Dreamworks and Nickelodeon once had an extremely close relationship. There was a point in time where shows based on Dreamworks' films where Nicktoon's bread and butter. But things are pretty different these days. Viacom gave up their ownership of Dreamworks. Dreamworks now work with Netflix for television spin offs of their films. I don't see this being very likely. There are so many characters Nick have at their disposal, I can't see them reaching out for this, especially when they don't air those shows anymore. But if this was to happen. I think Po is the likeliest option, he's a natural fit for a fighting game and Kung Fu Panda still gets content, after that it's the Penguins, I remember their show being pretty popular and they have a bit of meme status going for them, after that it'd anyone else but I can't see that. Those are the only two I can really see. Sorry to fans of the Blob. And I'm not gonna comment on characters with no Nickelodeon connection like Shrek, Hiccup or the Boss Baby. There's also the possibility that Universal decide to do their own platform fighter, or that they partner with WB for content in Multiversus, both of which are pretty unlikely but not impossible. I just don't see Nickelodeon bothering with this, there's not much in it for them. However it's not as impossible as Goku so it gets a slight bump.

Want - 60%
Yeah sure! I like Kung Fu Panda and the Penguins are funny lads. I remember liking both of their cartoons when they aired. I'd prefer an actual Nickelodeon associated character but I'm obviously not gonna say no to the likes of Shrek getting in. I feel like there for a while Dreamworks had a bit of a bad reputation for their films but with the positive reception to both Bad Guys and the new Cat in Boots I think it would actually be really good to get a character in here. I actually think getting Jack Black back for Po wouldn't be impossible, as long as Nick where willing to pay out. The man knows what his fans want.

Noms to Azula

Last edited by a moderator:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Someone beat me to the Jeffery Katzenberg Revenge joke. Goddamn it!

I don't think it's super unlikely, but it'd certainly be expensive. I don't know what Viacom's relationship with Comcast is, so this makes judging this a little harder.
If anyone, one or more of the Penguins or Po would be the most likely and make the most sense, though yeah I guess Shrek would be likely as a meme pick.

Want
General want for calculating purposes: 25%
Po: 50%
Penguins: 20%
Shrek: 5%

I'm not super attached to Dreamworks' output, but I do love the Kung Fu Panda movies, so if anyone, I'd be the most enthusiastic for Po.
The Penguins feel the most "Nickelodeon" to me, even if they rank lower than Po to me.
Shrek is pushing it. Yeah it'd be a funny semi-Nick-adjacent meme pick, but we technically already got that with Garfield since Nick hasn't actually done anything with the Garfield franchise yet beyond some scattered merchandise.

Dora prediction: 25%

Noms
3x Gaz
2x Stick Stickly

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but we technically already got that with Garfield
I think rerunning one of his own cartoon series would be more "Nick-adjacent" than the occasional airing of Shrek.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think rerunning one of his own cartoon series would be more "Nick-adjacent" than the occasional airing of Shrek.
Yeah I know this. I actually used this argument a lot when people acted like Garfield had no prior Nick appearances before they bought the IP. It's more Nick hasn't done anything original with the Garfield IP yet, therefore he's the only one on the roster with that distinction.
Shrek is less adjacent than Garfield, but given the partnerships with Dreamworks, he's at least semi-adjacent. This means he'd be pushing the limits of what can reasonably be expected to get in a lot more than Garfield is.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly I think I'd prefer Shrek over Po or especially the Penguins, because that would say to me that Ludosity chose a character they saw potential in from the Dreamworks library and were given unlimited choice from it, rather than having to fill an arbitrary mandate of established ties to Nick - if you're gonna shell out some dough for IP licenses, may as well go crazy with it.

This is something I'll talk more about once or if we get to Purple & Brown and I may have mentioned back in Doug's round, but basically when it comes to guests, I try to imagine "would this choice still make sense if there wasn't the connection?" in terms of want (not likelihood). If Doug was created for Disney would it make sense to favour him over Simba or Buzz? if Purple & Brown first aired on CBBC would it make sense to favour them over Wallace & Gromit or Ginger? and if the Penguins; Monsters or Po never had shows, would it make sense to prioritise them over Shrek or He-Man? The only character of that list who really has my favour is Po

And before you try to accuse me of wanting NASB to become "Cartoon All-Star Brawl", that's not what I'm saying - I'm moreso saying that it doesn't make sense to pay licensing costs but then put an artificial restraint on how you use it and which opportunities you take based on some weird non-canon spin-offs from the brand you're primarily representing's most awkward era in recent memory. You can have weird, unexpected guests without doubling down like Smash did.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I think I'd prefer Shrek over Po or especially the Penguins, because that would say to me that Ludosity chose a character they saw potential in from the Dreamworks library and were given unlimited choice from it, rather than having to fill an arbitrary mandate of established ties to Nick - if you're gonna shell out some dough for IP licenses, may as well go crazy with it.

This is something I'll talk more about once or if we get to Purple & Brown and I may have mentioned back in Doug's round, but basically when it comes to guests, I try to imagine "would this choice still make sense if there wasn't the connection?" in terms of want (not likelihood). If Doug was created for Disney would it make sense to favour him over Simba or Buzz? if Purple & Brown first aired on CBBC would it make sense to favour them over Wallace & Gromit or Ginger? and if the Penguins; Monsters or Po never had shows, would it make sense to prioritise them over Shrek or He-Man? The only character of that list who really has my favour is Po

And before you try to accuse me of wanting NASB to become "Cartoon All-Star Brawl", that's not what I'm saying - I'm moreso saying that it doesn't make sense to pay licensing costs but then put an artificial restraint on how you use it and which opportunities you take based on some weird non-canon spin-offs from the brand you're primarily representing's most awkward era in recent memory. You can have weird, unexpected guests without doubling down like Smash did.
At the same time, there is always the chance that franchises with a Nick connection could be cheaper. For example, Shrek is probably THE cash cow for Dreamworks compared to their other animated franchises, which could mean having to pay more compared to movies that actually got the Nicktoon treatment. Likewise while I don't expect Nick and Disney to be collaborating any time soon I think it'd be much easier to get Doug into the game than franchises Disney actually wants to do more with than make Funko Pops for people who aren't even nostalgic about Disney's Doug.

...but it's still having to deal with The Mouse. For a low-budget game that's not as big of a deal as Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Never forget David Geffen

Chance: 12%
DreamWorks, once owned by Nick owner Paramount, is now in the hands of Universal. Their partner for making TV shows is now Netflix (home of the Trolls, Spirit, Boss Baby shows to name a few). It seems the relationship is firmly over, so why such a high rating?

Frankly, because the game needs it. NASB is in trouble, we all know why. The game is struggling to stay relevant, and to do so it needs big, headline-spawning reveals. The big four and new acquisitions like Garfield and Transformers might do the trick but if they don't, I think they'll at least heavily consider reaching out to DreamWorks. Sure, the game doesn't look like it has much of a budget, but what better way to spend it (from a production standpoint) than buying the license for a famous character such as Po? There's also the argument to be made that NASB doesn't have a reputation like Smash does and so DreamWorks wouldn't trust the devs with their characters. To that I counter: DreamWorks doesn't give a ****. They're the redheaded stepchild to Illumination's golden goose. Have you seen their last couple of movies? While there is clearly an attempt to turn it around (please please please go see The Bad Guys whenever it opens in your territory) right now I can't see DreamWorks leadership turning away easy money.

With that out of the way, who could it be? The three DreamWorks movies that got TV shows were Kung Fu Panda, (The Penguins of) Madagascar, and Monsters vs. Aliens.

Kung Fu Panda is one of the biggest DreamWorks brands, with a critically acclaimed trilogy and 3(!) TV shows. In its favor is the fact that as a wuxia martial arts fantasy it immediately springs to mind when looking for fighting game reps. While the obvious rep would be Po, its cast is full of martial artists so they could double dip with someone like Tigress or Shifu if it really worked out. Against it? The price tag would likely be too steep as it's still ongoing and it's one of DreamWorks' better regarded franchises.

Then there's the Penguins of Madagascar. This has a certain pedigree as the first collaboration between Nick and DreamWorks; since the penguins were minor side characters in the movies and were reinvented for the show, they're basically original Nick characters (and the show was popular enough for it to spawn a theatrical movie). The penguins are a team much like the TMNT, so while Skipper, the leader, is the frontrunner, there's a strong case to make for Rico and Kowalski for moveset potential (not so much for poor Private, the bestest boy). The downside? It's probably a lot cheaper than KFP, but it's still Madagascar, one of the biggest DreamWorks franchises (and, to my surprise, one that's still active, as there's a prequel series with the Madagascar foursome as kids on Peacock)

Finally, Monsters vs. Aliens. The outlier. Never got a sequel, so beyond some shorts the Nick show was the only follow-up. It's one of the lesser films in Dreamworks' stable in terms of popularity (underrated as **** tho). Which in turn means it would probably be hella cheap. Much like the others, this one has a cast full of potential, and unlike the others I'd argue the most likely candidate isn't main character Ginormica but instead breakout character B.O.B. Still, this might be too offbeat to even be considered: is it worth shelling out big bucks to get Monsters vs. Aliens? Nick has more popular in-house IPs even with their B-tier stuff.

All in all, of the three, I think the Penguins strike the best balance between notoriety and cheapness and so I feel like they're the most likely. Of course, there's the possibility that Nick says **** it and tries for an IP that has no connection to them (I think Shrek fits the Nick brand very well). But cost might be too high for those, and who knows? Maybe the devs are Nick purists and refuse.

Want: 100%
It's a fun hypothetical to consider in any case. Penguins of Madagascar was an amazing show (way better than the movies imo) and while the other two weren't as good, they spawned from great movies with hilarious characters. And beyond that DreamWorks has, of course, a long history of fantastic films, many of which have that weird undescribable "Nick" feeling to them (is anyone else surprised that Megamind never got a Nick show?) so I'd also be happy with a surprise. Unless it's Boss Baby. Dear God anything but Boss Baby.

Noms: Ginger
Dora prediction: 37%

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
what if we didnt know who he was in the first place?
Dreamworks was founded by him along with Jeffrey Katzenberg and Stephen Spielberg, hence the "SKG" tag in earlier movies. Katzenberg's contribution to Dreamworks is memorable for being driven by petty revenge on Disney executives, and Spielberg's is memorable because he's such a big name, meaning Geffen can be easily forgotten

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dreamworks was founded by him along with Jeffrey Katzenberg and Stephen Spielberg, hence the "SKG" tag in earlier movies. Katzenberg's contribution to Dreamworks is memorable for being driven by petty revenge on Disney executives, and Spielberg's is memorable because he's such a big name, meaning Geffen can be easily forgotten
wasnt dreamworks on the go before the petty revenge man?

D

Deleted member

Fun fact: dreamworks was originally intended as more of a live action movie studio but then they became more known for thekf animated offerings. They still co produce la films (including some big Oscar darlings of the last couple years) but it does feel like post shrek they went on a path to vecoke the memed dresmworks we all know.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
DreamWorks character

Chance - 1% - Due to DreamWorks having some shows made on Nick before, DreamWorks characters already have some demand. While Monsters vs. Aliens barely lasted more than two years and is generally not as liked as other movies in the DreamWorks cannon. However, the Penguins made one of the largest viewings for their premier, lasted several years, and are popular in their own right, while Po is considered one of their stronger showings for a movie that isn't Shrek, and he's possibly also in the running. However, right now Nick doesn't have that pedigree to sweeten the deal or have that budget to really go for something crazy like this. It's not completely out of the running, but it would be a huge surprise to be sure.

Want - 75% - Penguins was one of my favorite shows while growing up, and I wouldn't mind Po. Otherwise, I'm not certain how I would react.

Skipping predictions due to my extra norms.

Nominations

Mermaid Man X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Talking animals that do things animals don't normally do
Chance: 0.1%
If it were 10 years ago I'd be rating this a bit higher, but now? Not so much.
Nick and DreamWorks ended their friendship quite a few years ago and I don't see them coming back together any time soon, especially not just for some crossover fighting game.
Abstain Want

Dora prediction: 9%
Noms: Azula x5
DAY OVER
Rate Dora the Explorer, predict Mermaid Man.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Dora prediction: 32%
In recent years, Nickelodeon have been attempting to age up the Dora character - first with the Lost City of Gold movie which had a trailer that was happy to point out Dora has a knife, and now with a new live action Dora series aimed at kids who grew up with the later years of OG Dora
By all means, I think Nick would be fine with Dora in the game - or at least, the concept of Dora... and that's where Ludosity come in. Ludosity have been a bit on-and-off with LA content (from wanting Alex Mack to saying they intentionally avoided LA characters to putting in a Double Dare stage), and it's hard to say both, whether Ludo would approve of including an LA version of a character with an animated counterpart (especially one that's significantly more iconic), and whether Nick would allow the original animated Dora to appear in such a violent context when they're also working on a preschool-aged animated Dora. Two uncertainties that cancel themselves out.

The demand is certainly there, people were rooting for "Leg Girl" to be Dora and the sheer novelty value of a preschool character taking off the gloves and beating people up or otherwise existing in a context you wouldn't expect is timeless (just look at how popular Learning with Pibby is, or MUGEN mods that add Caillou and Barney) - there are almost certainly a lot of people who wouldn't play this game otherwise who'd pick it up for the chance to wreck scrubs as Dora, but that also raises another problem since Dora would be paid DLC and that does seem like more of a selling point for an entire game than DLC for a game you already own.

All noms for Heffer

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
to putting in a Double Dare stage
To be fair, game show stages don't suffer from the Alex Mack problem when you don't have to license anyone's face.

The Alex Mack problem actually makes me wonder if NASB actually had a lower budget than Kart Racers 2, given it was able to have Jojo Siwa, and if you look at the game's copyrights, you'll see that getting Jojo Siwa in required talking to a separate company from Viacom.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
To be fair, game show stages don't suffer from the Alex Mack problem when you don't have to license anyone's face.

The Alex Mack problem actually makes me wonder if NASB actually had a lower budget than Kart Racers 2, given it was able to have Jojo Siwa, and if you look at the game's copyrights, you'll see that getting Jojo Siwa in required talking to a separate company from Viacom.
Jojo's currently ongoing so talks were likely much easier than trying to dig up old relations for Alex Mack. That and Nick themselves likely pushed for her.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
THE CHEAT IS BEHIND THE FREAKIN' BOX!
Chance: 30%

I think Dora may be more likely than we'd initially think. I know she's in a preschool show, but said preschool show is probably Nick's 2nd biggest original property. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if she actually edges out Spongebob at least a little. She has a fair bit more presence in general Nickelodeon related memorabilia and marketing than pretty much any other Nick Jr. character, often being the sole Nick Jr character among a bunch of Nicktoons.
Honestly, I keep forgetting Dora has been ongoing for 20 years now.
The hurdle that Nick might not want Dora in because she's from a preschool show might very well hold her back, but since they're expanding Dora media to older audiences, anything's possible. I think if anyone, it'd have to be OG Cartoon Dora. She's the one on all the Pull-Ups, so she'd be the one who sells the best.

Want: 45%

I wouldn't be opposed, it'd be really funny to see Dora beating up Spongebob. Though if I could have only one Nick Jr character in this game, it'd be Blue without question.

Mermaid Man prediction: 10%

Noms
3x Blue. I wanna see what everyone thinks
2x Stick Stickly

D

Deleted member

“Who do we ask for help when we don't know which way to go? We ask a map!"

Chance- 15%
I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think we're getting any sort of Nick Jr rep, but if we do it's gonna be Dora or Blue. Both are legacy franchises who the older player base for the game may more be familiar with as opposed to a current character like a Paw Patrol rep or Blaze, but they both also have current shows running so kids will know them. Only problem is I don't really know if I see them adding a Nick JR rep in the first place. As for Dora herself, she is an iconic character, and there has been slightly more grown up material as of late. She also has a moveset that pretty much writes itself. I just feel like they're not gonna touch that area of Nick, I feel the focus will squarely be on Nicktoons. But I don't think it's impossible.

Want - 40%
Sure. It would be funny to see her in here, and personally I don't see the issue. This isn't Mortal Kombat. It's a funny platform fighter with Spongebob and Garfield. I do think I'd kind of prefer Blue both due to my love for that show and also thinking that she'd have a really fun moveset, though I'll save that for if we ever rate her. But Dora being in here would be so fun and I'm here for it.

Noms to Concept: Live Action characters.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The girl who asks people to help her spot an object 5 feet in front of her

Chance: 30%

One thing's for sure: Dora is iconic. She is certainly nostalgic for many people and is still getting TV shows to this day. In fact she has been aged up in some instances so that gets rid of any concern Nick may have about an elementary school girl being in a fight, assuming they don't mind Ludosity going that route. Not to mention Dora has been on the air since 2000 which means she appeals to both the 2000 kids and 2010 kids. While this game is mostly advertised for 90s and 2000s kids, she could be used to bring in more younger people, plus there's that nostalgic factor I mentioned for 2000s kids. Combine that with a fair amount of demand and she has a fair shot.

Want: 10%

I'll be honest. I never cared for Dora. I watched some of it when I was young, but my attitude was "I'm too old for this" when I was only 8 years old, lmao. But that's because I was used to shows like Ed, Edd n Eddy, Codename Kids Next Door, and Fairly OddParents. Basically shows that were still aimed for children, but had slightly more mature themes. Preschool shows like Dora and Barney, I just never got into them. I understand that Dora would be big for this game, which is why I nominated her, but personally she wouldn't do much for me.

Prediction: Mermaid Man - 30%
He is a major character and him being a superhero helps him stand out, but I'm not sure if he would have priority over Mr. Krabs, Squidward, or Plankton.

Noms: You know what, I forgot Blue's Clues was on Nick. So I'm going to give 10 noms to Blue.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
ORE LOS OJOS

Dora the Explorer

Chance: 25% -
It's hard to say where Dora stands. On one end, Nick's been trying to expand the Dora brand to other audiences, and there's been a fair amount of demand for her. She's also Nick's second biggest property, so in a more Smash-like climate Nick would definitely push her hard. On the other hand, we don't know if Nick Jr. characters are on the table due to being preschool characters, and the most prominent element of Dora expansion (the recent movie) is Live Action, which itself has been zig-zagged as being eligible or not. There's also the fact that she has to compete with Blue for a Nick Jr. slot if it were to happen, and I've actually seen more demand for Blue than for Dora. I know the whole Dora leg thing was a thing, but overall outside of that it's been more about Blue. So it really depends on what's on the table. It also depends on how much DLC we get, Dora would more than likely get out-prioritized by bigger characters with more fan demand. I see her pushed under the assumption that Nick Jr. gets a slot, but against all of Nick she doesn't poll particularly high. There's just too much going on with Dora to pun down a super accurate score. Still, she has demand and importance, so she gets a decent score!

Want: 20% - It'd certainly be funny, but I'm more in the Blue crowd, plus there's way bigger priorities for the game right now. I do think you could get creative with Dora, especially if you decide to integrate her star spirits and Boots, and I think they could get creative with the stage. A jungle temple sounds pretty exciting! But right now there's just way too many characters I'd rather see before her.

Nominations:
Clyde McBride x10

Predictions:
Mermaid Man - 12.64% - He's got an announcer call so that helps a ton! Though there isn't much demand for him right now due to bigger staples like Krabs and Squidward being missing. So Right now I'm not expecting high scores.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm probably best not to repeat the joke off the telly.

abstain. she came after i was a kid. noms to jon arbuckle

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I swear most of my Spanish classes until 9th grade were the exact same caca I could've learned from her
Chance: 25%.
Naturally, a Nickelodeon franchise that lasted 20+ years and has spinoffs would be eligible for a game about Nickelodeon All-Stars. Except beyond that, Dora is stuck between a rock and a hard place: Nick might not want her animated self in as Nick Jr.'s target audience is too young for the content ratings this game got. (Hell, in Australia, this game's rating is M, which in their rating system is closer to the ESRB's T than E10+). And now there is a Dora with the opposite problem: Lost City of Gold's Dora would be more suitable for the ratings this game got, but then you have the Alex Mack problem. Then again, if they've got the funds for voices now, they might also have the funds for Isabela Merced's face.

...then again, Paramount also apparently has no problem with superimposing the animated Dora's head onto a Yellowstone character's body, apparently revealing that Dora has officially said "Jackass" and called Cartman a hippo.

Want: 10%.
While I was still technically in Nick Jr.'s target audience until the end of the year Dora premiered, I was starting 1st grade at the time it happened so I didn't want to watch the block anymore. I'm also perfectly fine with this game sticking with the TV-Y7 side of things, seeing as how I have more of an attachment to them anyway.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Dora

Chance - 5% - Dora's an amazing oddball pick. While she's aimed at the younger crowd, overall she's iconic and has made attempts to go for an older demographic. Sadly, however, right now we're in the realm of DLC, and characters need to be able to pull their weight in order to get in. The characters need to sell, and I'm not certain Dora would make people shill out money for her. The fact that thus far no one here has given her a 50% or above rating, I think, is indicative of overall setiment on her.

Want - 40% - Eh, not my sort of thing. At this point the roster kinda needs it's big hits, and I don't think dipping into the preschool roster makes sense at this point in time.

Predictions

Mermaid Man - 7.35% - Not on most Spongbob fan's Radars, but still worth talking about.

Nominations

Ms. Bitters X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Swiper no swiping

Chance: 70%
Nick (and parent company Paramount) has been trying really hard lately to make everything they own into a multi-project franchise. Dora is no exception. While the franchise has never been a stranger to spin-offs, the commercial success of the live action movie combined with an IP oriented streaming strategy turbo charged it. So now we got simultaneous Dora projects: an animated one for kids and a live action one for all ages. The endgame clearly is to turn Dora into a franchise people aren't ashamed to consume after they're over the age of 7 (good luck with that, what's next? Teletubbies Act Zero?)

With that in mind, I think it's very likely that Nick tries to shoehorn Dora into NASB. Now that grown up Dora is more than just a one off, that's a viable option if her age is an issue. At the same time, if paying for the actress' likeness is the bigger issue, they can use her original animated version, or an aged up version of it. There's no ideal version, but I don't think Nick will care, as long as they get to make Dora a "cool" character who shows up in fighting games and dukes it out with Team Avatar and funny memes like Garfield. Only reason I could see her not make it in is if she's determined to not be profitable as a DLC character so she's saved for a sequel. Otherwise I'm confident she's in.

Want: abstain
It depends on how she's included. I grew up with Dora (who teaches English in Spanish speaking countries, funnily enough) so I got an attachment to her and her cast of characters. Otoh, the live action movie was a cursed fever dream I'd rather erase from memory, so none of that please.

Noms: Ginger x 10 (I think that's what I've earned for this post)
The Flesh X10 (using my extra noms)
Mermaid Man prediction: 11%

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
"Do YOU see the 30f unblockable?"

Yeah, I don't really see this happening this time. Dora's iconic, no doubt about that, but the main issue I see is that most people just... wouldn't care about her inclusion? I imagine there'd be a few memes about it, but a Nick Jr. character's not exactly the kind of thing that's gonna draw eyes to this game, which is what it needs now more than anything. I mean, imagine the reaction if Dora gets revealed as the first DLC character: "Wow, they really put Dora the Explorer in this before Jimmy ****ing Neutron? What a joke, this is why NASB is dead, etc. etc. gimme updoots." YIKES. I think Ludosity and GameMill know they need the obligatory heavy-hitters in the game before they go adding their funny picks, and Nick I honestly don't think cares enough to go forcing characters into a game they pretty much gave up on day 1. If NASB does become a series, I can very easily see Dora getting in at some point, but right now, I'm gonna say no. She'd just be too risky and I think the people behind these decisions know that.

Want: 10%
It'd be kinda funny I guess, but beyond that I really don't care. Save her for a game where her inclusion makes sense.

Mermaid Man Prediction: 4.3%
Didn't Hillenburg basically say to consider the Mermaid Man character retired since his VA passed? That doesn't rule out the possibility of him appearing in future **** since we all know how Nick loves respecting Hillenburg's wishes, but last I checked most people consider him a no-go for this very reason.

Noms to Fred the Fish

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Where's the mountain?
Chance: 15%
It should be noted that Nick Jr characters have never really appeared in Nick crossovers. There have been a few games that only featured Jr characters, but regular Nick and Nick Jr have never really crossed over. Then again, Dora isn't really just a Jr character anymore, with the recent movie and the upcoming series that are "meant for older audiences." They're both live-action sadly, but they exist.
But the real question is, would the devs or publishers want to add Dora to the game? I don't think it's very likely. Dora may be iconic, but she isn't really super highly requested. I could definitely see Dora getting added in the distant future, though.
Want: 20%
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Dora get added to the game eventually. But right now there's just too many other Nick characters I think they should add first.

Mermaid Man prediction: 9%
Noms: Azula x10
DAY OVER
Rate Mermaid Man, predict Clyde McBride (from The Loud House).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom