• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Trans Rights are Human Rights

Chance: 30%

Surely WB would want to capitalise on having Harry Potter in right? The IP is massive, there's tons of merch and theme parks generating a lot of revenue. Well the thing is apparently there's some issues with JK and WB between getting the characters in. If this is sorted then I'd give a much much higher rating, if not then I think WB may well distance themselves from the IP for a bit, JK is toxic to the brand and Fantastic Beasts 3 is set to do poorly in America.

Want: 0%

**** JK Rowling, **** her TERF-ass bull****, **** her racist, fatphobic, anti-Semitic bull****. **** her "slavery is fine if the slaves are happy" bull**** and making Harry one of the "good" slave owners. **** her "What if the Irish character was always blowing things up" and "What if a black dude was called Shacklebolt" and calling the one prominent East Asian character Cho Chang and all the fake representation bull**** like Dumbledore being gay even though it was never in the books and is so easily cut from the third FB film among so many other things about herself and everything she's written.

JK sucks and anything involving her in any form is a hard pass. Please go the way of Glinner.

Noms:
All on Deathstroke

amageish

Smash Master
Harry Potter

Chance: 10%. So, let's start with the obvious: Harry Potter would be a huge get for this game. It wouldn't be the biggest IP in a platform fighter ever (that'd still be Pokemon in Smash), but it is still the highest-grossing Warner-Bros-assoicated IP, having several billion dollars over Batman. Harry Potter is famous worldwide and nostalgic for tonne of people. Not including it in this game is leaving a lot of galleons on the table!

This scene was a visual metaphor for Warner Bros after securing the movie rights for this franchise...

The IP is closely associated with Warner, who make its movies and make its games. There's also a connection between the upcoming big Potter game outing Hogwarts Legacy and Multiversus, as both have staff who formerly worked together on another big corporate crossover video game franchise, Disney Infinity.

Harry Potter has also done some Warner Bros crossovers before. Dumbledore appears in the LEGO Movie, Voldemort appears in the LEGO Batman movie, several Potter/Fantastic-Beasts characters appear in LEGO Dimensions, and the world of Harry Potter is featured in Space Jam 2.

Space Jam 2 truly does have the writing quality of an overacted toy commercial... if toy commercials were also selling Game of Thrones and Rick and Morty.

However, beyond that... I cannot find any major Harry Potter gaming collabs outside of the aforementioned LEGO ones. I don't see any Potter mobile game collabs or any appearances in generic free-for-all crossovers? There's some Potter themed reskins of existent games (ex/ Wizards Unite! reusing Niantic's AR tech they used in Pokemon Go, a lot of usaopoly stuff like Harry Potter Clue, etc), but not proper crossovers where the Potter IP interacts with other IPs... The closest thing Fortnite has to a Potter skin is an "Oakwitch Academy" set featuring a witch wearing similar glasses.

This was a fanmade skin that was made official, so I won't be too harsh about the intimation...

This is because J.K. Rowling keeps a close grip on this IP. Thankfully, there's nothing remotely controvesial or noteworthy about J.K. Rowling's personal views and I'm sure she'd approve the IP's inclusion in Multiversus! There's no elephant in the room here. Negotiations would go swimmingly, I'm sure!

sighs

I miss 2015 when this conversation would be so much less complicated.

Okay, so, uh, Rowling has decided to make hating trans people a core part of her online presence. Like, a very core part. A "I support people who say that queer representation in media is indoctrination while also wanting praise for the 6 entire seconds of queer Dumbledore content included in Fantastic Beasts 3"-level core part. And a lot of Warner Media franchises have themes and characters that directly go against those views.

Let's discuss that, I guess! Let's discuss how real-world transphobia will impact this video game roster...

The most obvious topic here is The Matrix, which was created by a pair of trans women and has a lot of trans themes in it. When Multiversus was first leaked prior to its official reveal, there was a lot of discussion online about the potential irony of a Potter/Matrix crossover... but this one has also already sort of happened via Space Jam 2 including both of them.

We already rated Neo, but suffice it to say that I do believe he will be coming down the line.

1649961619845.png

This is shaping up to be a pretty big year for trans characters in DC Comics. Nia Nal / Dreamer is entering the main DC universe for the first time, having previously been in the Supergirl TV series. In the comics, she will be appearing in an upcoming issue of Superman: Son of Kal-El as well as in the annual DC Pride special. Meanwhile, Alysia Yeoh is going from a comics-exclusive character to a DCEU character, debuting in the Batgirl movie. And Galaxy Crowned is a new trans DC hero debuting next month, first in a Free Comic Book Day issue and then in a full YA graphic novel.

I don't think any of these characters are super likely to be playable in Multiversus (though if Batgirl is added, I could see the DC Bombshells Yeoh Batgirl being added as a skin for her), but they still speak to a pretty firm stance being taken by DC as a company.

And, of course, Steven Universe exists and is already confirmed to have two fighters on the roster. It's a series created by a genderqueer person and has a lot of queer themes throughout, including trans themes in how Steven struggles with his identity and how it is not respected by the society around him in the final seasons.

So... Do I think JK Rowling would refuse to allow Potter content in Multiversus because of Steven Universe and the potential for more trans-coded content coming down the line? I don't know for sure, but I don't think that is an irrational thought. She operates in increasingly-radical circles as time goes on. The initial pre-reveal report of the game's existence also indicated that Harry and Ron had both been scrapped due to licensing concerns, which could be a result of this tension between Rowling's views and the lessons taught in media like Steven Universe...

There's also the possibility that Player First Games wouldn't want JK to be involved either. Any Potter content would end up being controversial with the player-base and they do seem to be including a lot of queer characters with queer fandoms in the roster - ex/ Garnet is two lesbians in a trench coat, Harley Quinn is a bisexual disaster, Wonder Woman is a slightly-less-disastrous bisexual, Velma, while still not having ever been explicitly gay at time of writing, has been written as gay several times and just never allowed to make it explicit, etc.. They may not want to deal with the headache either.

Finally, it's been reported Warner is considering ending the Fantastic Beasts series early due to all the controversies surrounding... so much of that movie series - between actor controversies, JK controversies, and the declining quality of the films... If that ends up happening, it certainly isn't a good sign for the future of the IP with Warner!

Want: 0%. I used to like Harry Potter a lot. It's sad how the reputation of the series has been so thoroughly embroiled in controversy, terrible spin-offs and sequels, and ego... I don't want Rowling to make money from this game and so, no, I do not want this IP in this game.

Anyway, uh, trans rights are humans rights!

Noms: All on Renee

D

Deleted member

Yer a wizard.

Chance - 55%
I'm probably rating this higher than some other pepole. Harry Potter is a hugely popular, iconic and influenceual franchise, but at the same time it's kind of became a tarnished brand. The Fantastic beasts films have been canned due to a number of factors. And most importantly, JK Rowling has exposed herself to be a terrible person. There is some wonder if the devs will even want to associate with her. And there's the issue if she'll want to be involved. I don't think the LGBT content of other franchises would be too big a factor, I'm willing to bet Rowling does not know what a Steven Universe is and probably wouldn't bother to find out, but as has been mentioned, there are very few HP gaming crossovers outside of Lego Dimensions, and it wasn't even in that at launch. She seemingly doesn't sign off on these things often. I feel if HP characters do make it in it won't be at luanch, and likely in its own battle pass. WB do still put out HB content, there's the game and the theme park rides and the recent HBO specials, which came out well after Rowling started on her current crusade, but the controversy may become too big to ignore. There was a leak, the same one mentioned in my Mad Max write up, that had Harry and (for some reason) Ron on it, but mentioned they may have been scrapped due to copyright issues, but who knows how true that actually is.

Want - Abstain
I never cared about HP growing up. And I care even less now. JK Rowling is a huge terf who donates to groups who activitly make the lives of trans people in the UK harder and who actively try to take away their human rights. I'm normally a believer in separating the art from the artist but I just can't do this here. Rowling is too tied to the brand and she makes money from the use of it. At the same time I know people did grow up with and have an attachment to Harry and Co and that doesn't necessarily make them bad people. I know characters are meant to be free here. I'd rather they weren't in, but if they are It wouldn't completely put me off the game, I just won't buy any of the content relating to them. There are magic users from other franchises I'd prefer.

Noms to Johnny Bravo.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Trans people are awesome

The Wizarding World is a huge brand for Warner Bros. It's the third highest grossing movie franchise of all time, only behind Marvel and Star Wars. Think about that for a moment; it's bigger than DC, bigger than Lord of the Rings! There is absolutely no way they waste a chance to put it in anything they're able to, and that obviously includes MultiVersus. The franchise is still ongoing on many channels, from Fantastic Beasts (for now anyway), to Hogwarts Legacy, to a very likely Cursed Child adaptation, so there are plenty of opportunities for promotional brand synergy.

However it's not completely up to Warner now is it? The property is still controlled by author and overall human garbage JK Rowling. Accounts on the level of control she exerts over the franchise vary, but at the very least, she insists she write the Fantastic Beasts movies and WB is seemingly powerless to stop her. JK Rowling also hates trans people because she is a very ****ty human being, and has made her transphobia into her defining public trait. So the argument many have made is that JK could refuse to allow her characters in a crossover that also includes trans representation directly or through the brands involved. It's an argument with merit, and I certainly won't claim to understand JK's ****ed up process, but I have two counterpoints to make.

The first is that I think JK somehow perceives herself as the good guy in all this mess, so she wouldn't make an active effort to disallow Harry and friends to interact with trans characters. Simply allowing it, patting herself on the back and going on to pick fights on Twitter seems more like her M.O. The second, and more unfortunate reason I don't see that panning out, is that, well, due to the state of media today, there just aren't many trans characters that I think would be represented in this game. There is The Matrix and Steven Universe but that's more subtext and general positivity rather than outright textual representation (also unlike Harry Potter, WB is fully in control of those brands and can include characters against the potential protest of creators). Seeing it from a purely business perspective, I can see execs at Warner figuring Harry Potter in this game will make it popular/lucrative enough to offset any trans representation they might otherwise be able to include. It sucks but I don't think it's unrealistic.

Harry is, as everyone knows, the iconic main character and mascot of the franchise. Depending on your age, you either grew up along with him or watched him grow up in real time. He's known and beloved the world over. He seems like the obvious choice. But present-day Wizarding World revolves around everything but him, so he's not the only option. Fantastic Beasts main characters like Newt, Grindelwald and franchise stalwart Dumbledore also make sense. It's not like every franchise is represented by its main character. Still, Fantastic Beasts is widely disliked, controversial due to the involvement of JK, Johnny Depp and Ezra Miller (****, by the time I'm writing this Jude Law will probably be accused of murder or something, this series can't catch a break), and Warner Bros. is still deciding on whether to scrap it or carry on (as always, the great decider will be money). Which gives the Boy Who Lived the advantage, hence why he gets 30 out of the 50% I give the franchise as a whole (I say the chances of JK stopping the deal is 50/50 just because who can predict that monster)

Want: 100%
Now I understand why all the zeroes. I get it. It's hard to look at anything about the franchise and not be reminded of the awfulness of JK's rhetoric. And there's a lot of highly problematic aspects in it (that someone above has already mentioned). I respect anyone who feels hurt or betrayed by it and wants nothing to do with it whatsoever.

However at its core, I think Harry Potter is a series about love and respect and tolerance and camaraderie and no matter how much she tries JK can't take that away. Rowling is a millionaire; that won't change whether people boycott it from now on because whatever she gets from Fantastic Beasts or whatever will be a drop in the bucket of the money the HP movies + the theme park licensing nets her. She's made. The way to boycott her that would really hurt her, in my view, is if the franchise lives on, but in the hands of people who remove all her heinous politics and replace them with the opposite. And I think people online are making strides towards getting there! The calls for the option to choose your pronouns in Hogwarts Legacy have been deafening, and if the devs comply, it would be pretty groundbreaking for a mainstream game. I'm ranting but basically the path forward I see is not to stop supporting the franchise altogether but to start demanding it be nothing less than a leader in LGBTQ+ representation. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I think it can be done.

As for how that affects MultiVersus... not sure, heh. Maybe give Harry or whoever pride month alts? Idk. But the game is free to play so there's definitely no money being made for JK.

Noms: Stede Bonnet (maybe let the people behind OFMD tackle the next Wizarding World project? Because they do queer representation right)

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Harry Potter-

Chance- 25%
The controversies about JK and the series popularity being on a decline due to it shot down Harry's chances a lot. Also said controversies may have the developers think Harry isn't a good idea for the game. There is an off chance they might ignore it and pay attention how Harry Potter is a huge icon.

Want- 50%
Despite the controversies around JK I like Harry Potter enough that I don't mind his inclusion. I really like the mage type of characters in fighting games and Harry has a potential to be that.

Noms-
Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Chance: 50%

Harry's creator is an awful human being constantly shrouded in controversy from putting her own foot in her mouth, which has directly affected the sales of more modern pieces of the IP.

That said, the franchise is a juggernaut in pop culture and as a free to play game, people aren't going to respond as negatively to it than of they had to pay for a product involving Harry. There could be disputes regarding the woman herself not wanting her properties involved here, but we don't know.

Harry Potter helped me learn to read, not to mention being the first fandom I was ever welcomed into - it's where the Gryff in my name comes from, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Separate the art from the artist, and I couldn't agree more with GoodGrief. It's a story about love at the end of the day, even if the author isn't great at showing true love herself.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think I'll keep the day going for another day since it has been a little more lively. I'm really enjoying the ratings, plus I have respect for you all for talking about this series in a mature way despite the controversies surrounding it. Keep up the good work people, I'm glad to have you here.

My rating is coming tomorrow.

Concept: Peanuts content
Chance: 17.5%
Want: 65.83%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x65
Stede Bonnet x55
Concept: Characters with no Warner Bros connection x54
Scooby-Doo x50

25-49
Deathstroke x45
Renee Montoya x45
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Kuroyukihime x38
Rick Sanchez x35
Gizmo x34
John Constantine x30
The Impractical Jokers x30
Weiss Schnee x29

1-24
All Elite Wrestling rep x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Sesame Street content x10
Johnny Bravo x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
"I found the source of the declining popularity: it's our ****ty creator!"
"YAAAAAY!!!"
Harry Potter franchise proceeds to explode

Harry Potter is one of Warner Bros. top grossing franchises ever so I think it was absolutely discussed at some point. Yes the new the new Fantastic Beasts film is essentially a flop at this point, but I don't see the devs caring about that too much. Supporting this is that [Multiversus leak spoilers] we're most likely getting LeBron James despite Space Jam 2 being a critical and commercial flop. Basically anything that is "hey we have something new/recent" seems like it has a good shot for Multiversus regardless of its quality, and Harry is also helped in relevancy by the big upcoming Hogwarts game. Now granted this recent stuff which won't feature Harry himself may instead help someone like Dumbledore, but I have a gut feeling if they have to choose one character it'll be Harry.

On the downside, I recall that some of the pre-reveal leaks of the game mentioned that Harry was in the process of being adding. Despite the crazy amount of Multiversus stuff that has leaked in the past few months via the files from the beta, there has not been a single reference to Harry as of this writing. This makes me feel that any talked about deals didn't go through. I'm guessing this is because of JK Rowling being too protective of the IP as shown by the series getting little crossovers. We can't say for sure who is the cause of Harry never getting in if he doesn't appear, but I doubt its because of the Multiversus devs since Harry was in talks to begin with.

Want: 80%
I'm pretty much what you'd call a casual Harry Potter fan. I've watched all of the main movies, played several games when I was younger (Chamber of Secrets on PC and GBC were my jam as a kid), and had the occasional toy/lego set. I've never read the books (apart from a little of Half Blood Prince with my mom to get ready for the then upcoming film) and couldn't care less about Fantastic Beasts which I have not seen. While the series is far from perfect (and from what I've heard is... much more offensive in the books), I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't one that I enjoyed a lot as a kid. Harry himself would be a fun magic fighter which I feel like we need more of, both in Multiversus and in platform fighters in general.

If this were any other character I'd end my writeup there, but unfortunately there's an evil bigoted British witch in the room that needs to be addressed. JK Rowling is a horrible human being because of her transphobic comments and really offensive themes she put into the books. Her comments have resulted in people wanting to distance themselves from the franchise which I don't blame in the slightest.

All of this is enough to make me not as excited for Harry as I would've been several years ago, however that's not to say I wouldn't be against Harry getting in. I think Goodgrief said it best that the series as a whole can still be enjoyed provided that it distances itself from Rowling and her ****ty politics going forward. Heck for what it's worth, a lot of fans as well as the actors of Harry, Ron, and Hermione have condemned Rowling's comments, so it really does feel like The World vs Rowling.

Nominations:
Concept: Hunter x Hunter rep x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of JK Rowling

You all bring up valid points: Would JK Rowling get in the way of Harry getting into MultiVersus? That's the main question since otherwise Harry would be a near lock in my opinion, for reasons already stated. One thing that concerns me is that in the very first MultiVersus leak, it said that Harry and Ron were being negotiated for, but there were some kind of legal complications, or something along those lines. Now that is quite vague and could mean a lot of things. Some people pointed out that Harry hasn't been featured in any of the leaks. While I don't think that alone means anything, since assuming this game does well and lasts for a while, obviously more characters will be added in the files, but that is still a little sus. You would think with how huge the franchise is that Harry would be added in relatively soon after launch. But since he hasn't been leaked yet, that implies that at best, he is probably coming down the road, if at all.

Now that speculation doesn't have to necessarily mean anything, but when you combine that with what the first leak said, plus JK Rowling's behavior, it raises my eyebrow. We can't be sure exactly how much control Rowling exerts over the franchise, but the evidence that the others here have presented shows that she likely has the authority to block Harry from joining MultiVersus. Of course, this also hinges on whether or not JK Rowling knows about the other IPs represented in MultiVersus. It's possible that she could be too busy going on her prejudistic Twitter rants to look into what Steven Universe is, for example. Without knowing the specifics, it's hard to give Harry a high score. But if it's a situation where Warner Bros can either convince her to let Harry in, or they can override Rowling's demands, Harry is sure to get in. Despite the controversies, Harry Potter is such a huge franchise that it will be hard for Warner Bros to resist putting him in.

I understand why people wouldn't want JK Rowling's IPs in this game. She is a bad person and I'm completely against her views like everyone else here is. With that said, I'm one of those people that can seperate the art from the artist. Rowling herself is terrible, but the world of Harry Potter itself is just so filled with charm and good messages as GoodGrief put it so eloquently. I watched the Harry Potter films when I was around 12 and they captivated me with the creativity of the world and the likeable characters. I rewatched Philosopher's Stone a few years ago and I'd say it still holds up. Plus with Harry being a wizard, that lends itself to a very interesting moveset.

In regards to JK Rowling gaining money from the MultiVersus inclusion, remember this is a free to play game and she has plenty of money in the bank already. Any money she might receive is going to be miniscule and I can see Warner Bros putting in some kind of LGBTQ+ flags or costumes as accessories for Harry Potter which would be a based power move.

Noms: Deathstroke x10

Day over.

Today we have a double day. Rate K.O. from OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes, as well as Fred Flintstone from The Flintstones.

Some videos to get into the hero mood:

And here are some videos to get into the stone age mood:

D

Deleted member

Fleenstones

Chance - 70%
A classic HB property. Outside of Scooby Doo thr Flinstones are probably the HB property that the most people are familiar with. The series gets. Most crucially they aren't afraid to get weird with it. From the episode of Billy and Mandy linked above, to the WWE crossover, to the weirdly existential DC Comics reboot, to the recently announced "Bedrock" sequal series starring Elizabeth Banks as Pebbles. Flinstones is just such an odd part of pop culture that I can totally see Fred duking it out with Batman and Steven Universe.

Want- 80%
Sure. I liked the Flinstones well enough growing up and even have fond memories of the live action film (John Goodman as Fred may be the most perfect piece of Cartoon to live action casting). Flinstones memes are pretty funny. It's pretty easy to imagine him fitting well into a fighter like this.

Let's be heroes.

Chance - 40%
This game does seem to have a preference for modern cartoon Network properties, as seen by the focus on AT and SU and the roumoed inclusion of Craig of the Creek. But this show was canceled, and I don't know if that might put them off including it. It does make sense as an inclusion, being a series themed around fighting and video games. Hell it even had its own mega crossover episode featuring characters that are going to be in this game. But I feel it faces competition with the likes of Gumball, Regular Show and Gumball, and that's before we start to delve into the older CN properties.

Want- Abstain.
I have only seen two episodes of this show. The aforementioned CN crossover episode and the Sonic the Hedgehog crossover. It seems like a cute show and I want to watch more but I just don't know enough to comment on it.

Noms to Johnny Bravo

KillerCage

Smash Master
Want to be a hero K.O.?

Chances- 35%
I hate to say this, but this hero in training was a massive up-hill battle ahead of him. He is facing a lot of competition from other cartoons from the same era, particularly Regular Show and Gumball. We also got to address the "leaked" roster where K.O. was nowhere to be seen. There is one hope for him though. The creator of "O. K. K.O. Let's be Heroes" is married to Rebecca Sugar, the creator of Steven Universe. Since Steven and Garnet are already in MultiVerses, I could see Rebecca leveraging the devs allow K.O. in as DLC for the sake of her husband.

Want- 100%
I just finished watching "O. K. K.O. Let's be Heroes" on HBO Max. Talk about a underrated gem! A video game inspired world that makes a witch training to be a ninja, a kappa being a computer genius, and an evil robot-building businessman voiced by Jim Cummings are just the norm. This series also multiple crossovers including Captain Planet, the monster girls from "Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School", and of course Sonic the FREAKING Hedgehog!
1650305107183.png
1650305029492.png

Let's not forget about the mega crossover episode where K.O. had to team up with Ben 10, Teen Titans Go! Raven, and Garnet who is in Multiverses!

Edit: I forgot to mention there is a character named "Black Strategy" that is a dead ringer for Blake Belladonna from "RWBY".

1650415637971.png
1650415752187.png

If K.O. manages to enter MultiVerses, I can easily see K.O. referencing the Crossover Nexus event when he teams up with either Steven or Garnet. It's a real shame the show had to be cancelled due to Donald Trump throwing a fit over the (at the time) merger of AT & T and WB. I'm not making this up. K.O.'s creator, Ian Jones-Quartey, confirmed this on a poscast a year ago. I would be ecstatic if K.O got his chance in MultiVerses!

Is John Goodman reprising his role as Fred Flintstone?

Chances- 60%

I think Fred has a decent chance at making the DLC roster. That "leak" did not have Fred in the starting roster which is why DLC is his best bet. After all the Flintstones was the first cartoon shown on prime-time television. Lets not forget about the Flintstones brand cereals Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles that are still sold in grocery stores. His only issue is the competition from other Hanna-Barbera cartoons and other franchise in general.

Want- 50%
I'm neutral on Fred. I did grew up with the Flintstones. It's just didn't click with me. I only had their cereal pretty rarely. If you are a fan of Fred Flintstone, good for you. I wish I could share your excitement.

My noms: Gizmo (Gremlins) x20

DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 Are we allowed to make double nominations on double days?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Kaio O. Kincaid

Chance: 60%. O.K. K.O. is a pretty big modern Cartoon Network show, but it's also a Cartoon Network show and there's a heck of a lot of competition in that department. As KillerCage already pointed out, it's an IP that is no stranger to crossovers, including both video game and historical Warner Bros collabs. Like... so many collabs. So very many collabs.

And, yeah, it's a show with a video game aesthetic and vibe, so there's no shortage of moveset options. It definitely fits the bill; it's just a matter of if it ends up being prioritized. I think this is one IP where the fandom of Multiversus could easily impact its odds of it getting in, as it's a natural fit and people want it to happen so... Why not make it happen, even if there's already a lot of Cartoon Network on the roster?

So, y'know, usual rating: I think it'll happen eventually as long as the game doesn't go completely abandon its Warner Bros focus.

Want: Abstain. Not familiar enough with the IP personally! I usually try to check out some episodes of shows before we're discussing, but, uh, I got distracted by Harry Potter discourse and lost track of time. Whoops!

Fred Flinstone

Chance: 80%. Well. Uh. Flinstones is one of the most iconic cartoons of all time. I'm not enough of a cartoon expert to say if the narrative that the Flinstones is the originator of most animated sitcom tropes is true, but it's an idea so wide-spread that the Simpsons/Family-Guy crossover had a joke about both shows being rip-offs of the Flinstones be part of its climax.

This episode definitely was a thing, wasn't it...

Point is: The cartoon is famous and beloved. It appears in the usual crossovers, like Space Jam 2...

At least this time it's an IP kids probably know?

But it's also so long-running that it has multiple notable crossovers with IPs that are now products of the Walt Disney company, including a crossover series with the Fantastic Four for some reason...

I don't have an explanation for this one... or any notable thoughts on it...

And LEGO Dimensions had the very specific Easter Egg where you could use the TARDIS to time-travel to Bedrock from Springfield.

LEGO Dimensions would probably be very beloved today if it wasn't a Toys for Life game with an expensive AF buy-in and some annoying "move your physical toys to proceed" mechanics.

Anyway, the IP's legacy continues into the modern day with a lot of adaptations and references, notably including a gritty modern DC comics series full of very explicit political commentary...

These books aren't subtle, but they're pretty enjoyable for what they are.

All this is to say: I think Fred is pretty likely with time. There's not really any reason to leave him out, even if it takes a while for him to get added... Yadda yadda yadda, as long as the game doesn't go completely abandon its Warner Bros focus, I think it will happen...

Want: Abstain. Like with most big IPs, I don't feel attached to Fred Flinstone as a broad concept. I'd enjoy some versions of him being included, but don't feel much attachment to the IP overall.

Noms: All on Renee

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 Are we allowed to make double nominations on double days?
You sure can. In fact I counted your sentences and you are eligible for 20 noms. Just make sure you edit your post to update your noms.

Harry Potter
Chance: 33.33%
Want: 51.25%

To no one's shock, Harry is a very polarizing character. In fact for his want scores he got one neutral rating, 3 zeroes and 4 positive ratings, which just barely pushed him into positive territory.

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x65
Stede Bonnet x65
Deathstroke x65
Renee Montoya x55
Scooby-Doo x50

25-49
Gizmo x44
Charles Kane x41
Kuroyukihime x41
Doomsday x40
Rick Sanchez x40
Weiss Schnee x31
John Constantine x30
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Johnny Bravo x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Forgot to mention this earlier but as a reminder this is the last day of the schedule. So make your noms count.

KillerCage

Smash Master
You sure can. In fact I counted your sentences and you are eligible for 20 noms. Just make sure you edit your post to update your noms.

Harry Potter
Chance: 33.33%
Want: 51.25%

To no one's shock, Harry is a very polarizing character. In fact for his want scores he got one neutral rating, 3 zeroes and 4 positive ratings, which just barely pushed him into positive territory.

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x65
Stede Bonnet x65
Deathstroke x65
Renee Montoya x55
Scooby-Doo x50

25-49
Gizmo x44
Charles Kane x41
Kuroyukihime x41
Doomsday x40
Rick Sanchez x40
Weiss Schnee x31
John Constantine x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Johnny Bravo x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Forgot to mention this earlier but as a reminder this is the last day of the schedule. So make your noms count.
Thank you for clarifing.
I already updated my nominations.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on both due to unfamiliar with the former and barely remember the latter

Noms
Kuroyukihime-x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Are you finally ready K.O?

Chance: 35%

The fact that K.O is one of the newest shows on CN gives it an advantage. Plus it has been involved in a lot of crossovers including not just with other CN shows, but even Sonic the god dam Hedgehog. That puts the show in a high pantheon and this also means K.O would fit right at home in MultiVersus. He also has good moveset potential so he's basically covered in all respects. The only concern is competition with other recent shows and evergreen IPs like Ben 10.

Want: 50%

I've never watched a full episode of this show. But the clips were fun to watch and K.O seems like a fun character so I'll be open to him.

Yabba-dabba!!!

Chance: 80%

I don't think I need to go over what the Flintstones is. It's the famous show that brings modern conventions into the stone age and does it really well. It was successful back then and it's still getting products to this day, including a new movie that is scheduled for this year. Not to mention the franchise is not new to crossovers. There is the crossover with The Jetsons, the Billy and Mandy episode I posted above, and cameos in other shows like Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, plus the Flintstone house is in Lego Dimensions. Oh yeah and the obligatory cameo in Space Jam 2. As for moveset, there are a bunch of stone age tools and gimmicks that they can take from the shows. Really, there isn't a lot to say. It's The Flintstones, it should be a given. There is a reason why I put Fred on my top 10 most likely MultiVersus candidates list.

Want: 70%

I could never get into the The Flintstones. I thought the crossover with The Jetsons was cool but otherwise I never bothered with the IP as it's not my thing. But come on, it's The Flintstones. It deserves a spot on the roster for being culturally significant, plus it's the mascot of a bangin' cereal.

Noms:
Scooby-Doo x4
Lion-O x11

I'll keep the day open a little longer since it's a double day and I would like to see if we get a couple more ratings in. But either way I'm going to end the day late tonight.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
ko crossover.jpg

Okay, Kay-O
I think K.O. might have a chance. He's the main character of a pretty recent CN show, and he's no stranger to crossovers. The main thing holding him back, however, is the fact that his show already tragically got cancelled after only 2 years on the air. The show still has a decently sized fanbase, though, so maybe he could be added eventually. Anything is possible.
K.O. is my most wanted character. OK K.O. is one of my favorite CN shows of all time. He'd be a perfect fit for this game. I know he'd be fun to play as. It wouldn't feel right to not have the guy from the show with all the crossovers in what will probably end up being one of the biggest Warner crossovers of all time.

tco_-_2021-11-04T115033.143.jpg

GRAND DAD
Chance: 97.77%
Fred Flintstone is easily the most iconic and well-known Hanna-Barbera character to not be in the game yet. Everyone knows who he is. It's pretty much a guarantee that he'll be added eventually.
Want: 77.77%
Flintstones is a pretty cool show. I'm sure Fred would be pretty fun to play as.

All my noms go to Rick Sanchez

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A.B.B.A. Let's Be Disco

Chance: 20%
The reason my rating is so late is because I was waiting on others so that I could learn more about the context around the show (when it debuted, how long it lasted, if it was successful and/or popular, all that jazz) since I just know it as "that show with very bad designs". I still don't have a full grasp on it but from what I gather it got 3 seasons but was never as popular as many other shows from its time. So I guess it wouldn't make a cutoff based on popularity, but if they're going for the modern stuff then it can probably sneak in. From what everyone's saying it's tailor-made for a fighting game.

Want: 0%
Sorry but again, this show looks pretty bad. Maybe the writing is great but that wouldn't really translate to MultiVersus so I'd just be stuck with a character from a show I've no connection to. There's just too many CN shows.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Chance: 100%
The Flintstones is one of the most iconic and influential cartoons ever made, period. It's second only to Scooby Doo in terms of Hanna Barbera cartoons. Plus Fred is a caveman, which is a very rare and combat ready character archetype. I don't think there's any chance Fred doesn't make it in unless the game tanks.

I mean, it's the ****ing Flintstones. It would be a travesty if it didn't have a fighter.

Noms: I was going to start nominating more mainstream stuff but then I rewatched one of my favorite animated movies and it's by WB so it's another week

Concept: Cats Don't Dance rep

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Renee Montoya from the DC Comics.

Some videos to get into the crime fighting mood:

THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOW LOCKED DOWN. NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE NULL & VOID.

Day 44 - Renee Montoya (DC Comics)
Day 45 - The Powerpuff Girls
Day 46 - Stede Bonnet (Our Flag Means Death)
Day 47 - Deathstroke (DC Comics)
Day 48 - Gizmo (Gremlins)
Day 49 - Rick Sanchez (Rick and Morty)
Day 50 - Scooby-Doo and Concept: Characters With no Warner Bros. Connection

K.O and Fred Flintstone calcs coming soonish.

Noms List

75-99

50-74

25-49
Kuroyukihime x44
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Weiss Schnee x33
John Constantine x30
Johnny Bravo x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Audrey II x17
Lion-O x16
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Concept: Cats Don't Dance rep x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

KillerCage

Smash Master
We're really rating Renee Montoya?

Chances- 0%

Montoya is not going to be in MultiVerses. She is frankly a very obscure character from DC Comics. Yes she was a major character in the Birds of Prey film. The problem is that movie got buried by SONIC of things! Not a lot of people will be familiar with the character outside of hardcore DC fans. Even then, Montoya has FAR too much competition from other DC characters. I feel that other DC characters like Green Lantern and the Flash would be much higher priority picks than Montoya. Heck if that "leak" for MultiVerses is real, Montoya is nowhere to be seen. I know I'm being harsh here, but I don't see ANY reason to have Renee Montoya in MultiVerses.

Want- 0%

We have plenty of DC characters in MultiVerses' roster already. I feel that Montoya does not offer enough material for an interesting or unique moveset among the other DC characters. I will be REALLY suprised if she makes it in even as DLC.

My noms: Cinder Fall (RWBY) x10

amageish

Smash Master
Renee Montoya

Chance: 12%. I think Renee brings up an interesting question about how the DC line-up will be handled... But, first, let's give her a proper introduction.

Renee Montoya debuted, like several modern Batman heroines, in the Animated Series. There, she was a police officer who... Well, is a police officer? She's part of the police force that has an sometimes-uneasy alliance with the Batman. Not much to say there.

From there, she was introduced in the comics where she was... again, a cop. She stayed behind in Gotham during the No Man's Land arc (the thing probably most known in the mainstream for inspiring the plot of Season 2 of the Harley Quinn animated series), where she got several issues dedicated to her personal relationships and rivaleries with certain villains... and then, in the 2000s, she got to star in Gotham Central, a comic book police procedural, focusing on the pragmatic day-to-day life of the Gotham police and how things actually work living in a city with such a high crime rate and full of crime-fighting vigilantes.

This resulted in Half a Life, probably her most famous arc. Published in 2003, it focuses on Renee being taunted by an obsessive stalker, who, among other things, outs her as gay to her workplace, conservative Catholic family, and community.

This story won an Eisner Award and for good reasons!

I won't say anything else about this arc - Half a Life is worth reading if you're interested in comics and it's aged very well given the era it was written in! But, suffice it to say, she ultimately ends up losing faith in the police force and quitting, paving way to her next big role in the DC universe... Becoming The Question!

Look ma! No face!

As The Question, Renee fights crime as a faceless vigilante. Here, she works alongside DC's greats: Batman and the Bat-Family, journalist Lois Lane in her 2019 solo series, and, of course... Mystery Incorporated.

I like the implication that they bought her a shaved ice before thinking about the fact she doesn't have a mouth.

Now, whenever the DC universe gets retconned or a new adaptation into film/TV/games/etc, Renee tends to return to being a cop... and then tends to get disillusioned in the police force... and then quits... and then becomes the Question... over and over again... They, uh, really like repeating this arc. The upcoming video game Gotham Knights even has her be the Chief of Police while also having her be disillusioned about the police force, which seems like having your cake and eating it too when it comes to commentary on police forces. The 2020 film Birds of Prey also repeated this quintessential storyline - though whether or not we'll ever see her as The Question in the DCEU remains to be seen, given that film's... underwhelming financial returns.

Anyway, here's what I find interesting about C-tier DC characters when it comes to Multiversus: Uncle Shagworthy is playable in Multiversus, a very deep-cut character from The Scooby Doo Show. So, we know they are going to be making complete character swaps as skins if they fit the character - and it doesn't seem like traditional metrics of relevancy are going to be the biggest concerns for those. The DC multiverse, a world where there are plenty of characters who share mantles and general powersets, really lends itself well to this kind of representation. Renee can be added as her own character, sure, but she could also be an alternate skin for Vic Sage's Question or for Commissioner Gordon - or vise versa.

Renee's also the type of character that DC tends to want to remind everyone exists at least one month out of every twelve, which could end up being relevant if they do themed monthly battle passes - as we do know that the game is using a battle pass structure.

While it's easy to be cynical about this, her Pride story is actually very cute...

Now, in retrospect, I probably should have nominated Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown or any of the many DC Bombshells Batgirls to explore this sort of thing, as the character that they'd likely be an alt for (Barbara Gordon) seems far more likely then anyone Renee would be able to map herself onto but... Eh. I still had fun bantering about it!

Want: 95%. I really like Renee! Definitely a historically important character for the history of queer storytelling in comics; I just wish they continued that trailblazing trend with her into the modern day and didn't just keep telling the same core stories with her over and over and over again. She's definitely not the most hype character moveset-wise, but hey... Any chance to see her reunited with the Scooby Gang is a welcome one.

I know "Scooby Doo media making fun of how unlikely Scooby Doo premises are" is basically its own Scooby sub-genre, but I find it funnier when it's a Batman character then when it is Simon Cowell.

Noms: Total Drama Content x 10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
K.O
Chance: 40%
Want: 62.5%

Fred Flintstone
Chance: 81.30%
Want: 75.55%

You are coming with me, dead or alive (Hint: This ain't actually from Renee herself, but from another, famous cop. Guess which one)

Chance: 15%

Yeah it's hard for me to see her happening. While she did appear in Birds of Prey and has made several appearances in the comics and shows, Renee doesn't really have anything going for her. Even compared to someone like Zatanna, Renee is not very popular and is simply overshadowed by her competition. Heck, even her being a lesbian icon is already taken by Harley Quinn and potentially other DC characters like Poison Ivy too. Her silver lining is that Birds of Prey was a chart-topper on HBO Max so that may convince Warner Bros to continue the BoP storyline, potentially making Renee a bigger part of the DCEU. Nothing is set in stone yet for her future, but she may be a more likely candidate down the road.

Want: 10%

From what I researched, Renee looks like a pretty good character. But she's simply not a very exciting inclusion with her being a regular cop. Now her Question incarnation is a bit more interesting, but still I would prefer to have someone else like Batgirl instead, and that's not even getting into all the other heroes and villains like Aquaman, Green Lantern, Brainiac and Darkseid.

Noms: Charles Kane x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That is the question

Chance- 2%
Yeah. She's a cool character but aside from being the cop from BATAS and sometimes being the question. I don't see why they would pick her. As Batman related characters go you still have Nightwing, the Batgirls, the Robins, Red Hood, even Renee's sometimes love interest Batwoman. There is the scooby doo crossover so clearly WB do think about her, but I still don't quite see it.

Want- 5%
Not a character I'm crying out for. But I like her enough and I like her design as the question well enough.

Noms to Johnny Bravo

osby

Smash Obsessed
Her future in the DCEU is currently unknown since Birds of Prey apparently didn't do to well at the box office and she's not even that popular.
Before this point gets repeated too much, let's clarify: Birds of Prey didn't do super hot in theaters but it was a chart-topper in the HBO Max streaming service. I would call it a reasonable success, given that it gained positive critical reviews and has its own cult following.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Before this point gets repeated too much, let's clarify: Birds of Prey didn't do super hot in theaters but it was a chart-topper in the HBO Max streaming service. I would call it a reasonable success, given that it gained positive critical reviews and has its own cult following.
Thanks for making me aware of this. I'll alter my writeup a bit to correspond with this info.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate the Powerpuff Girls.

Some videos to get into the girl power mood:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Powerpuff Girls

Chance- 70%
Despite them being a trio the Powerpuff Girls are one of Cartoon Network's staple which puts them at a huge advantage getting in. Although I think there's a possibility of only one of them making it and the other two ends up being part of the girl's moveset.

Want- 50%
It depends on what version of the Powerpuff Girls to be honest. 0% if it's the OG and reboot ones due to wasn't particularly fond of those series. However if it is the Powerpuff Girls Z versions then it is pretty much a 100% want for me due to that being my favourite version of the Powerpuff Girls.

Noms
Kuroyukihime- x4
Weiss Schnee- x1

amageish

Smash Master
The Powerpuff Girls

Chance: 85%. So, for a point of clarification, I'm assuming we are really rating "Concept: At Least One Powerpuff Girl is Playable" and specifically the idea of them getting in as a trio. With that in mind though... Yeah, I don't see why this isn't going to happen?

Hey, if anyone has the budget and resources to do an international survey about how people complete the phrase "Sugar, Spice, and ________," I would like to know the degree to which Powerpuff Girls impacted the use of "everything nice" instead of "all things nice."

The Powerpuff Girls are in a position in Warner Bros' library in the sense that they... sorta transcend categorization? Like, yeah, it's a 1998 Cartoon Network show with a 2016 Cartoon Network reboot, but it's also a DC comics series, a Japanese anime series, and... it will allegedly be a live-action CW series about becoming disillusioned in the world, assuming that show ever actually makes it to air.

I have not watched this series, but suddenly feel obligated to do so... This seems impressively crazy.

Obviously having a divergent set of adaptations and multiple continuities isn't uncommon for a Warner IP, but for an IP that's under 30 years old? Yeah, they've made a lot of stuff with this show in a relatively-short amount of time...

Point being: There's a lot of material for these girls and there's a lot of potential for deep cuts for skins, alts, and moves (assuming they can make the hitboxes work, at least). They're also still super relevant through all the reboots, nostalgic fandom, and presence in meme culture! This is just... a really obvious IP to include? I could see them maybe missing launch, especially if they want to make the game stand out instantly from the last Cartoon Network platform fighter which had a heavy PPG presence, but I don't doubt that they're in the cards for the future... Again, assuming the game keep goes for a couple years.

I was unironically hyped for this game at the time... though I only ever got the 3DS version...

Anyway, time for the obligatory part of an Amageish write-up where I list previous crossovers just to see how far they've gone before!

In the show itself, a bunch of Hanna-Barbera superheroes appeared as members of an all-male superhero council which is discriminating against the PowerPuff Girls on grounds of their gender. Numerous other Hanna-Barbera characters cameo throughout the run, actually, but those references tend to just be easter eggs and not people appearing in-character...

No! Harvey Birdman?!?! What you doing?!?! What would Birdgirl think if she knew about this...

In addition to their aforementioned DC comics run, IDW Comics did several runs with the IP, including multiple crosssover-focused ones.

And... um... this happened?

What... Is Mojo Jojo doing gambling with the Fantastic Four? Is this how he affords all his inventions???

Moving away from Marvel cameos, the 2016 incarnation of the PPG have crossed over with the Go! incarnation of the Teen Titans, which... Well, I'd make a joke about how both of those reboots are decisive with audiences, but that almost seems too easy.

The only clips I've seen of this crossover makes it seem underwhelming, but hopefully the full experience is better...

And, prior to that, they met up with the Teen Titans (as well as the likes of Gandalf, the Doctor, Homer Simpson, and Sonic the Hedgehog) in the world of LEGO Dimensions...

I own the TTG sets for this game, but honestly forgot the PPG sets even happened??? Which is weird, as I do enjoy the Powerpuff Girls. Idk what was going on at that time that made me not buy them.

I'm sure there's more to list, but point being: They hang out with other Warner IPs (and especially cartoon IPs) pretty darn often... I don't see a reason to doubt that they'll turn up eventually.

Want: Abstain. Hoo boy, there's a gazillion ways this could go. I enjoyed the original Powerpuff Girls as a youngster, but I haven't really followed them into any other medium or adaptation. Like, I haven't even seen any videos reacting to or discussing the 2016 reboot... So, yeah, the usual "too big for me to have an opinion" rating.

Noms: All on Total Drama Content

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Suger, Spice and Eveything Nice.
Chance - 90%
Out of all the classic CN characters I think the PPG have the strongest chance. They had a reboot a couple years ago, the live action CW reboot is apparently still happening for some god forsaken reason, they where chosen as a CN ip in Lego Dimensions alongside Adventure Time (and technicaly Teen Titans Go). I think they're probably the most known classic CN characters to a general audience. The planned LA renoot, no matter how terrible it sounds, does show WB still see it as an IP they can make money with. You still hear them get referenced all the time. Only issue is do you have them be an all in one fighter, choose just one or give the series three slots. It's iconic enough that I think it could afford the later. Personally I don't think they'll be based off the reboot. It didn't do nearly as well as TTG and any time they get merch it's allways the classic look.

Want - 80%
Sure. I like em. Buttercup is probably my favourite but they're all good. I'd be interested to see what they do with them. Their interactions with the likes of Wonder Woman and Garnet would probably be very cute.

Noms to Juliet Starling

KillerCage

Smash Master
The day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls!

Chances- 80%

It's kinda hard to imagine the Powerpuff Girls not showing up in MultiVerses in any shape or form. Since their debut in the late 90s, they have remain relevant to this day through iterations. amageish amageish has already brought up the anime, the IDW comics, the 2016 reboot, the infamous CW reboot, and the various crossovers. I should also bring up that the Powerpuff Girls got a theatrical movie that has since gotten cult status.
1650832957952.png
We do have to bring up that "leaked" roster for MultiVerses as neither Blossom, Bubbles, nor Buttercup are listed. However I don't see this as an issue as they can easily be added as DLC. I'm fairly confident we will see the Powerpuff Girls in MultiVerses eventually.

Want- 70%

I grew up with the Powerpuff Girls and I guess I'm a casual fan of them. I can see the moveset potential if they work as a trio or individually. They have previous experience from other platformer fighters that they carry over into MultiVerses. I would be happy if Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup made it into the game.

My noms: Cinder Fall (RWBY) x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
PPG

Chance: 100%
The Powerpuff Girls is one of the most iconic cartoons of its day. It proved to have mass appeal, mixing up cutesy aesthetics with brutal animesque fights, so there's something for everyone. It's clearly considered an evergreen IP considered it got rebooted a trillion times and is in the process of getting a (very ill conceived) live action followup. It's a must have. As for the implementation, I could see the girls sharing a spot (either as a trio or as skins for one same moveset) or all three making it in separately, it just depends on what the devs come up with. But I doubt there'll be any left out.

I enjoyed the original show a lot growing up. While the villains are the highlights, the girls themselves are very fun and have a cool dynamic going on.

Noms: Cats Don't Dance rep

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Renee Montoya
Chance: 7.25%
Want: 27.5%

Noms List

75-99

50-74

25-49
Kuroyukihime x48
Charles Kane x46
Doomsday x40
Johnny Bravo x40
Weiss Schnee x34
John Constantine x30

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Audrey II x17
Lion-O x16
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Concept: Cats Don't Dance rep x10
Cinder Falls x10
Total Drama content x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Powerpuff Girl Red, Blue and Green

Chance: 70%

My concern with this is how many cartoon network characters we will get. But if we do get at least some more, then yeah these girls are very likely. Not only do they come from a classic CN show, but they also got a reboot and an anime! Plus a ton of crossover appearances so by all means they are popular and marketable. If you want my opinion on how the girls would be handled, I think the series has enough merits to the point where they all can have their own slot. I could maybe see them being echoes of each other if the devs do implement the concept of clones, but either way I think all three will get in.

I got made fun of by certain people for watching this show when I was a little kid. I'm a boy, but I don't care. The original show was great for anyone of any gender. It had charm, humor, and good fight scenes. It's a show that anyone can get some kind of enjoyment out of. I can't say much on the reboot or the other material based on the Powerpuff Girls, but the original will remain a classic and is up there with CN's other greats. I would be very happy to see these kickass little girls make it into MultiVersus.

Noms:
Citizen Kane x5
Weiss Schnee x5

Day over.

Rate Stede Bonnet from the HBO Max show, Our Flag Means Death.

Some videos to get into the funny pirate mood:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Dead men tell no tales, Stede Bonnet.

I'm going to abstain from giving a chance and want score due to the following question:

Anyway my noms: Cinder Fall (RWBY) x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Gentleman Pirate

As the person who nominated Stede, allow me to introduce you all to him and a wonderful little show called Our Flag Means Death. The show is based on the true story of Stede Bonnet, an aristocrat who got bored with his stuffy life and decided to leave everything behind to become a pirate - the Gentleman Pirate. He forms a crew of misfits that are just as likely to start a mutiny as they are to join in on his posh and childish vision on piracy, and has run-ins with the British Navy and several historical pirates, including the legendary Blackbeard, played by Taika Waititi (the guy behind the recent Thor movies - he also directs and produces).

The show was praised upon release for its quirky, almost workplace-sitcom take on the Golden Age of Piracy, and the performances of Rhys Darby, who plays Stede, and Waititi. As the first season progressed, viewers also started noticing the way the show introduced LGBTQ+ themes, with several gay romances and a non-binary character, all being treated matter-of-factly and not as a source of drama or the characters' sole defining trait. This culminated in the reveal - if you can call it that* - that the show is actually a rom-com, with Stede and Blackbeard as the main couple, whose mutual feelings develop throughout the season and are finally revealed near the end. All of this earned the show a die-hard audience that grew with word of mouth, despite minimal advertising, both from LGBT fans glad to finally have some decent representation in a relatively mainstream project, plus fans of comedies in general and of Taika's other projects.

* I don't know to what extent this is intended to be a reveal. The show's creator and lead actors have been pretty open about it on social media. But the show wasn't marketed as such, and certainly caught me by surprise, so I decided to spoiler tag it just in case.

How popular is Our Flag Means Death? It currently has a 95% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes (compared to a 91% critics score). It has also consistently made headlines in regards to how popular it is: As of the week of its season finale, it was apparently the most popular show of the year. Two weeks later, it was still the show with the highest demand, edging out MCU show Moon Knight. 4 weeks after ending, and it's still leading the charts. Now, Parrot Analytics doesn't measure viewership, but rather demand; basically, how much chatter and social media activity a show generates. So it's possible (even likely) that Our Flag Means Death just has a very active fandom. But still, to garner more conversation than the MCU fandom, or the memetically bad Halo show, that's gotta count for something. Fans have flooded Twitter with fanart, and got the #RenewOurFlagMeansDeath trending for weeks. So, there's an audience for this, is what I'm saying.

Now, you might have noticed that the hashtag implied the show is still pending renewal. It is! Nobody knows why, really, considering the show's obvious popularity, the caliber of the talent behind it and the fact that it's clear it's not expensive to make. While this does give me pause, I don't see any reason not to renew it, so it's moreso a matter of time. And maybe the next season could actually get a marketing push! Which brings me to MultiVersus.

Stede Bonnet is a pirate. That alone is very good for a fighting game, especially because I can't think of any famous pirates owned by WB. But, more importantly, he's a bad pirate. The man is more likely to apologize than he is to actually strike you - he actually wins a fight in the show by getting stabbed. But that means he can provide more moveset potential than just a basic pirate archetype - that's where the whole "gentleman" shtick comes in. He could very well use books, or cutlery, or "****ery" (pirate lingo for weaponized theatrics) in his moveset, or just play as an accidental fighter. That would make him a viable and distinct fighter even if the game went the Fortnite route and added, say, Luffy or Jack Sparrow.

tl;dr At the end of the day, will Stede make it into MultiVersus? Probably not. But it's possible that the combination of a viable, distinct fighter, played by a star that would probably be up for it, representing a show with a sizable audience that could use a big push to introduce it to an even wider one, is a winning one.

Chance: 10%

This show is great. Stede is just hilarious, the way the man tries to make his childhood fantasy of being a pirate, while at the same time going about it as a gentleman would, trying to find peaceful and respectful solutions, is both absurd and subtly insightful. He teaches his crew and the pirates he meets how to redeem themselves or let out their softer sides, while he learns how to unshackle himself from society's expectations. It's a brilliant show. I didn't really catch on to most of the LGBT aspects of the show, only realizing what was going on in Episode 7 - aptly titled "This Is Happening" - but seeing the reactions on social media and how much a show like this meant to so many people only made me appreciate it more. It's really a middle finger to queerbaiting. But yeah if you like pirates you will definitely like Stede and his show.

Noms: Cats Don't Dance rep

Last edited:
Top Bottom