• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Super Hell

Chance: 90%

Supernatural was/is a popular show and it's had a few crossovers with other properties to it's name, including Scooby-Doo so it's already made the cross with a more child friendly series which is more than can be said for Arya Stark and Game of Thrones outside of cameo stuff. I can see it get in at some point or another, maybe not soon though but it does feel like a matter of when.

Want: 50%

I kind of don't really care for the show, there was some charm to it earlier on but it started dragging a bunch as time went on so I lost a lot of interest. All I know beyond that is someone got sent to Super Hell and it was really ****ing funny so I guess it'd be funny if you could send Bugs to Super Hell or something.

Noms:
All on Deathstroke

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Winchester by the Sea

Chance: 40%
The show ran on for 15 seasons and has a rabid fanbase. It's (reportedly) still an active franchise with that spin-off in the works. Sam and Dean's paranormal adventures lend more than enough material for a moveset. This seems kinda like a no-brainer. As far as CW reps go I can't think of a better candidate.

Want: 75%
I haven't watched Supernatural but they seem like a good choice.

Noms: Stede Bonnet

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Peacemaker from the DC Comics.

Some videos to get into the mood to make peace:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
taps mic
ahem
DO YOU REALLY WANNA DO YOU REALLY WANNA TASTE IT?!

Chance: 38%
Christopher Smith, AKA Peacemaker, is an elite mercenary raised to be a remorseless killing machine, who lives life according to his paradoxical motto of "achieving peace, no matter who he has to kill to do it". He is a DC character, obscure for most of his history, before he was brought to the forefront as a member of The Suicide Squad (the 2021 reboot that's one of the best in the genre, not the 2016 disaster). After that he went on to star in his own spin-off series Peacemaker, the first DCEU TV show. Both projects were critically acclaimed, with Peacemaker in particular being very popular. How popular you ask? Popular enough that it got a second season greenlit, along with another TSS spin-off series, and is reportedly one of HBO Max's biggest original hits (it is also frequently used in ads along with fellow heavy hitters Euphoria, The Gilded Age and And Just Like That...)

James Gunn, the mad genius behind all three aforementioned projects, seems to have enjoyed his sabbatical from the MCU and the creative freedom awarded with an R-rating (and a franchise that has nothing to lose), because after the upcoming trio of Guardians of the Galaxy projects (I Am Groot, the Holiday Special, and Vol. 3) he will be making DC his home for the foreseeable future (and Warner Bros. in general; see the Coyote v. ACME movie that he and John Cena are working on). He's building his own corner of the DCEU, so Mr. Smith and friends could show up a lot in those projects, but also, considering the show's popularity and its connections to the wider DCEU, it wouldn't be surprising to see him show up in big boy crossovers, be it The Flash or a hypothetical future Justice League movie (or would they be Crisis movies now? In order to distance them from he-who-shall-not-be-named)

All this to say that he's a big deal, and while he won't strike anyone as the immediate next DC character to join up (we still don't have the core members of the Justice League, several iconic villains, or Shazam) I think he's a big enough deal that he'll be considered sooner rather than later. In this age of superhero limited series, Peacemaker is a rare show from a major franchise that's intended to go for multiple seasons (he's DC's equivalent to Loki – what a weird pair) so that guarantees he will be one of the more relevant DC characters for a while. If the game takes off and becomes the Fortnite-for-fighters they appear to want it to be, it would be a no-brainer to have Peacemaker included to coincide with the release of a new season, for example. And if it just stays as a WB crossover, well, his show's popularity arguably puts him above several DC stalwarts (you know who they are).

Despite lacking superpowers and looking like just a regular dude with a gun, Chris has a lot to offer moveset-wise. One look at his show-off competition with Bloodsport in TSS, or the final battle of his show (no links because they're very NSFW!) are proof enough that he has a very deep and versatile arsenal of weapons (that shield has to show up). His fighting style in the show displays a lot of wrestling moves – when you got John Cena you don't waste him – and also adds various chrome toilet bowl helmets with different powers (from floating, to exploding, to sonic shockwaves, to the Human Torpedo). Finally, as the gif above shows, the man is a dancer. The opening dance sequence is an iconic part of the show, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't included in his kit in one way or another.

Want: 100%
The Suicide Squad is the best DCEU movie and one of the genre's greats. The kitschy, B-movie character designs, juvenile humor and over-the-top violence contrast and complement the flawed but lovable characters, incredible cinematography, flawless special effects and stuntwork and surprising message. Peacemaker the show is similar, trading the scope and budget of a movie for the slower pace of a show that still manages to explore themes of guilt, redemption, tolerance, totalitarianism and white supremacy in a nuanced and poignant manner. And it also adds a pet eagle, there's something for everyone. Peacemaker himself is an awesome character, in equal measures despicable and lovable, comedic and terrifying, and one that I hope more people get to know.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Looks like it took being betrayed by John Cena to make Peacemaker big.

I'm going to abstain from giving a chance and want score.
I can tell "The Suicide Squad" is a good film, but it didn't gel with me.
That also applies to the Peacemaker show.

My noms: The Powerpuff Girls x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Winchester Brothers
Chance: 60.83%
Want: 55%

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x50

25-49
Concept: Characters with no Warner Bros connection x44
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Deathstroke x35
John Constantine x30
The Impractical Jokers x30
Kuroyukihime x26
Rick Sanchez x25

1-24
All Elite Wrestling rep x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Weiss Schnee x21
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x20
Scooby-Doo x20
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Stede Bonnet x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Renee Montoya x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Sesame Street content x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Gizmo x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

amageish

Smash Master
Peacemaker

Chance: 50%. I pretty much agree with everything GoodGrief said and so I'll keep this one brief. James Gunn is building his own section of the DCEU up and the nature of a cinematic universe is that characters from it will be reoccuring. Peacemaker is very popular and his show is supposed to go on for a while. I think he's pretty likely with time, even with all of the competition DC offers him.

And, even if the game does become an anything-goes not-just-Warner-Bros crossover, here's the obligatory "He's in Fortnite" part of the write-up.

1649181812813.png

Weirdly, he's only spray paint in Fortnite right now, but, uh, maybe that'll change with time?

Want: Abstain. I'm, uh, behind on consuming live-action DC content; I will work on that! Based on what I know about The Suicide Squad, I'm going to guess its incarnation of Ratcatcher will end up being my favourite character, but Peacemaker definitely seems cool.

Noms: All on Renee Montoya (DC)

D

Deleted member

Chance- 40%
I feel like Peacemaker has a chance. Both the Suicide Sqaud film and the self titled spin off where extremely popular. In January of this year it was apparently the most popular streaming show. It also represents a new era of James Gunn, who was once known more for his Marvel work, becoming a big part of DC. A 2nd Suicide Sqaud spin off is apparently coming alongside a 2nd season of Pacemaker. It's a relationship that DC will be happy to cash in on. The biggest problem competition Pacemaker faces is that he is one of thousands of DC characters and we've still to get popular names such as Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Robin / Nightwing. But it's safe to assume most of those may get in if this game goes on long enough so I don't see why they can't dip into a bit of a different choice in Chris. Plus some datamine stuff implies we may be getting Black Adam, so characters who have something to promote may have pretty high chances. Also they absolutely wouldn't pass up the chance to get John Cena involved.

Want - 80%
Yeah. This show rocks and Peacemaker is a great character. He's a pretty bad person but you can't help but feel bad for him, especially with what the series reveals about his father. John Cena is always a joy and this is the role he was born to play. You just know he would have some great interactions with the rest of the roster. Peacemaker does have a pretty simple powerset, being a gun user, but you could get creative. Honestly they should go the full hog and add Vigilante too.

Noms to Scooby Doo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Toilet Seat Head

Chance: 70%

The main thing holding him back is that he was extremely obscure before TSS and his own show came out. It's probably too early for him to get in relatively soon, especially when Harley can double up as helping provide some form of Suicide Squad presence but down the line I think he's a very solid bet. TSS is an excellent film and the Peacemaker show is of a similar degree of quality.

The writing for Peacemaker in both TSS and his show is top quality and he's a really cool and interesting character. What helps further this is that John Cena puts in a great performance and the end product is borderline perfect. Get this man in more things.

Nominations:
All on Deathstroke

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Making peace....the fun way

Chance: 40%

Peacemaker exploded in popularity thanks to the success of The Suicide Squad (Not to be confused with the other Suicide Squad, god these modern movie titles are lazy) and Peacemaker getting his own show. While there is plenty of competition within the DC sphere, Peacemaker is quite marketable right now and if he can keep the momentum up, he will remain a strong candidate as (presumably) we'll get more of the DC mainstays over time.

Want: 50%

I haven't watched his show or The Suicide Squad yet. There is too many things to watch, lol. But I hear he is a fun character and people love him so I'll be open to him.

Noms: Gizmo x5

Day over.

Today we have another DC character. Rate Zatanna.

Some videos to get into the magician mood:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

susrevitluM rof secnahc

Chance- 19%
Zatanna is one of many DC characters. However she does have a few things going for her. Namely that there is currently a live action project under development for HBO Max, and while DC do have a bad history of canning projects, there seems to be some movement on this one. Someone there clearly likes the magician girl, as it was also just announced that Zatanna will be getting her own web comic in which she and John Constantine team up to fight Jack the Ripper. She does have a pretty cool powerset that could make her appealing to developers. Her biggest issue is competition. There are a lot of DC characters still to add. Zee's chances hinge on someone on the dev team pushing for her or Warner having plans for the character that they wish to promote.

Want - 75%
I've allways liked her tbh. I think she's a pretty underrated and underused character who's seemingly finally getting her due. I could see her having a pretty fun moveset, I like magic users in games like these. I kind of don't want this game to be filled with too many DC characters though, so it all depends on the size. If this game really does get to a Brawlhalla level roster size then sure throw her in.

Noms to Scooby.

amageish

Smash Master
Zatanna

Chance: 20%. Ah, yes, Zatanna. The iconic Justice League superhero who mixes her talents at stage magic with her talents at non-stage actual magic to form a unique fighting style that blends kick-ass moves with a flair for the dramatics...

Such a great character, famous for her roles in... um... er...

She was briefly in Smallville? Aged-down versions of her appear in both Young Justice and DC Super Hero Girls, so she has that multi-generational aspect going for her I guess... She was in Justice League Action, plus most direct-to-DVD Justice League animated movies... And she technically appears in Harley Quinn, but never ever spoke a line of dialogue in Season One or Two, only really becoming a defined character in the The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour comic series.

Yeah, so, Zatanna's a bit of a weird character in the DC line-up. She's a long-standing heroine and superhero in the comics, but she has never really broken out on her own in the mainstream - she appears in group settings or gets one-off episodes in other people's shows, but she doesn't really do anything of note herself. Now, this should theoretically be changing soon! A solo movie for her is in development and it generally seems like DC wants people to care about her more. So, maybe that'll be her big break! Who knows...

In terms of Multiversus, this puts her in an equally-odd place. There's a lot of DC characters who could plausibly get into the game. Zatanna is a major character in the DC line-up and is more long-standing and reoccuring then a lot of the DC line-up... but she's rarely the star when she does appear and she's abosultely trounced by plenty of other characters in terms of popularity. Is her moveset potential + her current level of the fame enough to get her into the game? I think it's possible, but probably not for a little while.

And, uh, I guess she also arguably has some competition in the category of "stage magician" if we think CW's live-action game show offerings as eligible for Multiversus?

But that also seems like a bit of a stretch.

Want: 90%. I don't know if there's any particular Zatanna I love, but I do really enjoy her character and her general vibe. I would enjoy seeing how her powers would transfer into a platform game setting.

Noms: All on Renee Montoya (DC)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Zatanna!!...that's so fun to say for some reason

Chance: 20%

I feel we are on the verge of seeing another Peacemaker here. Zatanna has already made a lot of appearances in various media, plus the people who do know of her seem to enjoy her character. I feel that when DC finally releases her show, assuming they get it right, Zatanna will explode in popularity. She is a magician, which you don't see very often with comic book characters and she's got that charm to her that makes her likeable. Plus I want to add that she has already been playable in a fighting game before with the first Injustice (Which is the first time I've heard of her, little fun fact there).

The reason why this score is low right now is simply because she is low on the priority scale. Her own show is still being worked on and in most of the media she appears in, she is relegated to a side character. So she is trumped in terms of importance and popularity by a lot of characters for the time being. But wait a couple years when her show has come out and blossomed and things may change. I do believe Zatanna will be worth rerating in the somewhat near future and she's a character I would keep in mind.

Want: 60%

I don't know too much about her, but watching those clips I shared above has me interested in her. There is a lot you could do with a magician moveset and Zatanna herself is very charismatic. Plus she was fun in Injustice.

Noms: Gizmo x10

Peacemaker
Chance: 47.6%
Want: 82.5%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x55

25-49
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Deathstroke x40
John Constantine x30
Scooby-Doo x30
Rick Sanchez x30
Kuroyukihime x29
Stede Bonnet x25

1-24
Weiss Schnee x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Renee Montoya x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Gizmo x9
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Sesame Street content x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Dedda eb dluohs Annataz

Chance: 35%

Zatanna is a character that's in the process of seeing a rise, potentially a great one if WB don't can her film. As it is she's a little in the middle for DC, she's got plenty of appearances in ensemble media so she isn't entirely unknown but outside of select singular episodes she often doesn't shine much which is unfortunate. Her powers should pose no issue as she can use a ton of magic. Even if Dr Fate, Constantine or any of the other magic users that WB own get in they're not necessarily stealing her thunder.

She is an exceptionally fun character and her abilities are actually really cool and crazy. I'd love for her to, again, get more appearances and love in general.

Nominations:
All on Deathstroke

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yvan eht nioj

Chance: 25%
Zatanna has a couple of factors working in her favor. For one, she's a very popular character in the comics, owing to her cool personality, powerset, and design. She is also known to make appearances in many an adaptation, albeit in minor roles.

Still, being a breakout character in the comic books isn't enough anymore. In this day and age comics are only important as sources for movie and TV adaptations, and that's the kind of mainstream source material MultiVersus will likely pursue. The good news? There's a Zatanna movie in the works, scripted by Emerald Fennel (recent Oscar winner for writing Promising Young Woman). The bad news? DC has more canceled projects than ones that came to light, and in my view Zatanna seems unfortunately very likely to be one. WB hired one of the most in-demand writers to make a superhero movie; why haven't we heard anything since then? No casting, no tentative release, nothing. This isn't a writer for hire, Fennel can probably work on anything she wants right now, and if this project isn't moving forward fast enough, she can easily walk away. Might have happened already.

The silver lining? Whether Zatanna gets her own movie or not, she'll join the DCEU eventually. DC has been trying to get Justice League Dark off the ground for years, and every time one project died out they jumped to another. They clearly see potential in that corner of the universe for creativity, box office, and, more importantly, spin-offs featuring different characters (such as Zatanna!) Most recently, JJ Abrams and his production company signed a $250M exclusivity deal for five years, with one of his projects being a Justice League Dark show for HBO Max and to develop that subfranchise. Considering the money spent, I can't imagine that show not coming out, so we'll soon see Zatanna join the DCEU (his deal expires in September 2024, so that's our time limit). That by itself does not guarantee Zatanna a spot in MultiVersus, as the more famous fan-favorite Constantine will surely compete, but 1. if Justice League Dark is a thing, a spinoff of her own will surely follow, and 2. I can't see Zatanna not being a breakout character unless she's completely botched. And when that happens, that's when we'll probably see Zatanna in MultiVersus.

The occult side of DC is by far my favorite. Swamp Thing is my single favorite DC character, and the likes of Zatanna, Constantine, Etrigan, and Dr. Fate aren't far behind. I just love a spooky comic book, whether it be weird transcendental stuff like Swamp Thing or Sandman, or just pulpy goodness like your Tombs of Dracula or Werewolves by Night. I've been waiting for years for any JLD project to get off the ground as they deserve to be made for the big screen (it was a major loss for filmdom that Del Toro's project was never made).

Zatanna herself is a genius character. She dresses up as a stage magician but does actual magic, how cool is that? Like most JLD characters she's cocky and snarky, but she's also shown real depth and guilt regarding questionable decisions her incredible powers have afforded her. There's no end of fun stuff she could bring to a fighting game (try to telegraph moves when their names are shouted backwards!)

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on want and chance since the first time I heard Zatanna's name was Death Battle

Noms
Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

amageish

Smash Master
Mad Max

Chance: 90%. Mad Max is an important and popular film franchise, inspiring a lot of the aesthetics of other post-apocalyptic media. Max himself is an iconic and popular protagonist. The franchise is iconic, with a healthy amount of meme'd and frequently parodied sequences... and, yes, this includes a scene in Space Jam 2.

I once again find myself saying: I'm sure all the children in this film's audience found this reference hilarious.

Now, apparently Warner Bros doesn't own the IP worldwide, but if they could get it into Space Jam 2... I think they could get it for the sake of Multiversus too, provided that Space Jam didn't make the Australian owners of the IP scared to ever trust Warner with it again.

I do think Max has some serious competition in the form of Furiosa, the breakout star of Fury Road who is getting a spin-off film of her own in a few years... but I also don't see a reason why they couldn't add both, especially in a game focused on 2v2 matches.

Overall, it's another big franchise that I really just think is a matter of time for the game...

Want: 90%. Yeah, he'd be fun to see. The aesthetic of Mad Max would also make for a super exciting stage - maybe something where you're fighting on top of vehicles? Or make Thunderdome into a Final Destination equivalent? Lots of cool options.

Noms: All on Renee

D

Deleted member

"My name is Max. My world is fire and blood."

Chance- 80%
Mad Max is a pretty iconic Franchise. There are the three orignal films and of course the critical and fan darling that was Fury Road. After that the franchise is back in the limelight. It does have a future with the upcoming Furiosa spin off and Mad Max: The Wasteland, the in development next main line instalment, currently with an unknown release date. The franchise is known for being pretty violent, but it's inclusion in Space Jam 2 shows that WB don'r really see that as an issue. A interesting thing to note about Max is that he appeared on one of the very first leaks for this game, alongside several characters who would end up making it in, but also Fred Flintsone and Johnny Bravo, but there has been no sign of these three characters since.

Want - 100%
Fury Road is one of my favourite films ever. It's so good. I even like the originals. I think you could actually do a pretty neat crafting mechanic with him based on building a rig. I would prefer the Tom Hardy version, but I'd likely still play him no matter what verison got in.

Noms to Scooby Doo.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Hey Mad Max, where is your wife?

Chances- 80%

I could mention that Mad Max is an iconic franchise. I could mention that Fury Road is a fantastic film. I could mention that Mad Max cameo-ed in Space Jam 2. I could even mention that Max himself showed up in a leak. BUT I WON'T DO THAT SINCE EVERYONE ELSE HAS SPOKEN FOR ME!!! I would be just parroting what they said.

Want- 80%

I really love Mad Max: Fury Road. It had a simple yet great story, fantasic cinematography, and a wonderful color pallet for a post-apocalyptic world. It made me want to check out the other Mad Max films starting with the first one. That may have been a bad decision on my part because I thought the movie was meh. Apparently that was the worst film in the series, but it was enough to drop my want score which is still pretty high.

My noms:
The Powerpuff Girls x5
Gizmo (Gremlins) x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What a lovely day!

Chance: 45%
Mad Max is more likely than not. Originally one of those gritty, low budget high concept 70s actioners, Mad Max slowly developed a world and with it a fanbase. All of that came to a head with the release of Fury Road, an action movie so acclaimed it was nominated for best picture and won 6 Oscars. This puts Mad Max in a very particular intersection: it's shlocky, yet also prestigious; niche but mainstream at the same time. In other words, it's an IP that WB can reference and gain cool points from almost everyone.

A more relevant question would be if Max himself would be the Mad Max rep. Furiosa, the namesake and basically main character of Fury Road, quickly became an iconic character and gained herself a lot of fans. She is also getting her own prequel spin-off (and reports are ambivalent on whether she'd return for Mad Max 5). We already have cases of not-the-main-character being chosen (Arya, Shaggy, Gandalf), and there's an argument to be made that the lady with the robot arm is an inherently more unique character than Max. Still, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a moveset for a gun-toting wasteland warrior, and Max has been playable in many games.

Basically the IP is guaranteed a character but, much like Neo and Trinity, it's a scenario where the longtime undisputed protagonist suddenly has to share the spotlight with an equally important character. I'd say it's 50/50 as to who gets in.

I love Mad Max. The grungy, gearhead aesthetic is genius, the bad guys are diabolical, Max is badass, and with Fury Road the franchise levels up to have god tier action.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Zatanna
Chance: 23.8%
Want: 85%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x60

25-49
Deathstroke x45
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Scooby-Doo x40
Stede Bonnet x35
Rick Sanchez x35
Kuroyukihime x32
John Constantine x30
Renee Montoya x25
Weiss Schnee x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Gizmo x19
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Sesame Street content x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Pissed off Max

Chance: 50%

Mad Max was a cult hit series that broke out into the mainstream thanks to the recent film, Fury Road. It won several awards and has a spinoff in the making, so the future of the IP is promising. Thus, the chances of us getting a Mad Max rep is pretty high. The only thing is he's got competition with Furiosa who is the star of the upcoming spinoff, but depending on how long this game goes I think we could get both.

Want: 60%

Confession: I've never seen any of the Mad Max films, so I'll be giving this the usual "Not too familiar with this character, but I like their concept." Plus with Fury Road being so successful, Mad Max would be a big deal.

Noms: Gizmo x5

Day over.

Rate Concept: Peanuts content. This can range from anything like a character to a stage or music.

Some videos to get into the mood to talk in gibberish:

amageish

Smash Master
Concept: Peanuts Content

Chance: Obviously 0%. Peanuts is a Nintendo IP baby! Snoopy's coming to Smash!

This is a joke, to be clear... Though the video is interesting and worth watching!

Okay, in all seriousness, Warner Bros owns the distribution rights for the classic Peanuts cartoons... at least on DVD. The issue (if you can call it that) is that Peanuts is currently pretty all-in on content with Apple TV+ - this is the digital place to find stuff like A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and the modern Peanuts incarnation The Snoopy Show (which is, from what I have seen, pretty solid original Snoopy programming). Meanwhile Disney owns The Peanuts Movie (RIP Blue Sky Studios), KaBOOM! does the Peanuts comic books (yes, those exist), and the Schulz estate generally keeps the IP on a tight leash for licensing. Point being: Warner Bros wouldn't necessarily be doing this for promotional reasons; this would be done primarily for the sake of getting Peanuts into this game.

With that in mind... The question is: Would Warner Bros want to add it to Multiversus and would the Schulz estate approve it?

Well, for the former, I think probably? If the game does expand beyond the direct Warner library, then Peanuts really fits the vibes of... a fair amount of the roster. It's an evergreen multi-generational classic. It lends itself to obvious moveset/stage potential. And, hey,

As for the latter... I do not know. The Schulz estate doesn't seem to approve crossovers that often. There were a bunch of tributes to Peanuts made in basically every major newspaper comic strip following the death of Schulz and that's honestly where most of the organized Peanuts crossovers came from?

These are quite wholesome... Schultz's impact on the medium can't be overstated.

Beyond that, obviously a lot of media has done tributes to the Peanuts, but those tributes are pretty uniformally unlicensed.

Rate Their Chances: Random Boy Jenny Gives a Christmas Present To for Nickelodeon All Star Brawl

Now, it does have a few things: It has a Poptropica Island, which is the second time I have mentioned Poptropica in this thread, but that was a crossover with a lot of brand synergy - it's a multiplayer game for children, made in part by Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid), and has crossovers with a lot of similar brands like Big Nate and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... And it's apparently in a Funko Pop themed match-3 mobile game?

Their eyes... They are staring into my soul...

So... That's a sign they're willing to take money to put content in a crossover, at least. And it also contains some IPs that aren't exactly child-targeted- stuff like Jaws, Hellboy, and... the real-life royal family? Who is this game for??? Anyway, point being: I guess M-rated crossovers can happen if they're in happy-go-lucky mobile games about matching 3s...

So, here's the final question: Is Warner Bros going to sink Funko Pop! money into this game - and, even if they are - will the Schultz estate let Snoopy be beaten up by Harley Quinn? Maybe. I'll give this a 10% chance!

Want: 90%. I really like Peanuts - and, thankfully, it's an IP that is fairly consistent and thus avoids the usual "I really like this, but they could always add a version I really don't like" spiel that I tend to give big IPs in this thread. I watched a lot of the TV specials as a kid, plus some of the weird ones that don't neccessarily have a reason to exist - I recall watching It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown a lot. I also read a lot of the strips and have one of those big hardcover collections of them sitting somewhere in my house... I'd enjoy seeing what the IP could offer in a platform fighter setting! A lot of potential for fun movesets and iconic locations.

Noms: All on Renee

KillerCage

Smash Master
Are we eating Peanuts?

I'll abstain on giving a chance and want score for the Peanuts. Regarding the chance score, I don't think I can add anything more to what "amageish" has already mentioned. In regards to the want score, I don't feel anything for the Peanuts.

My noms: Gizmo (Gremlins) x5

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Peanuts Content

The Peanuts brand has had a good relationship with Warner Bros. The specials have been distributed on home video, there was a Peanuts show on Cartoon Network and there was a post on the Warner Bros Entertainment account on Instagram that had a picture from A Charlie Brown Christmas. However, the rights for the Peanuts brand are all over the place. amageish amageish has hit pretty much all the points. It's all dependent on the Schulz estate. Let's not forget Tony Hynuh, the director for MutliVersus said they are open to any crossover happening. Add in the Eleven from Stranger Things leak and that shows third-party characters are on the horizon. As is though, there's not a high chance but the relationship between Peanuts and Warner Bros is there to represent the home media catalog. It's not that far-fetched.

I grew up watching the Peanuts specials. Snoopy is probably my favorite fictional dog and I love the calming jazz music in the specials. I'm really curious as to what the IP can offer in a grand scale crossover given the Peanuts brand has limited crossover exposure. At the very least, I would not mind just a stage of the backyard with Snoopy's doghouse. Lots of potential depending on the Schulz's estate attitude. If we were to get a fighter, I just want Snoopy with Woodstock in some form. I can imagine the dev team having fun with the Peanuts characters.

Noms:
Sesame Street content x5
Six Flags content/Mr. Six x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mad Max
Chance: 69%
Want: 86%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Powerpuff Girls x65
Scooby-Doo x50

25-49
Deathstroke x45
Stede Bonnet x45
Charles Kane x41
Doomsday x40
Rick Sanchez x35
Kuroyukihime x35
Renee Montoya x35
John Constantine x30
Gizmo x29
Weiss Schnee x27

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Audrey II x17
Wile E. Coyote x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Snow Miser x7
**** Grayson x6
Static x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Dexter x5
Steve Urkel x5
Sesame Street content x5
Knight and Ostrich x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Six Flags content x2
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Peanuts Content

Chance- 30%
Warner Brothers do distributes some Peanuts content. I could see Snoopy sneaking in but it ultimately depends on how Schulz Estate feels on it.

Want- 70%
Peanuts does have pretty fun characters. Although it comes down to which peanuts character it is.

Kuroyukihime- x3
Weiss Schnee- x2

D

Deleted member

Chance- 5%
I was a bit confused when I saw this one come up if I'm honest. I didn't think of Peanuts as a WB brand, turns out there is a connection, but it's not as strong as a lot of characters. Peanuts rights seem like a bit of a mess. However. We know guest characters are very much on the table. But would Peanuts really be high up on that list? It's not a very fighting game ready IP. But it is a very iconic franchise. It's certainly not impossible, but I personally don't see it.

Want - 10%
I like Peanuts and I feel like you could probably make a pretty fun Snoopy and Woodstock moveset. But at the same time something doesn't sit right with me about letting Snoopy or Charlie Brown duke it out with Batman and Arya Stark. I guess it would depends on what they do with them.

Noms to Johnny Bravo

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Wawawa..wawawa...

This score is saved by the fact that this concept covers any kind of content. Because to be honest it's hard for me to envision a moveset for these kids and their dog. If we did get a rep it would probably be Snoopy since from what I've watched of Peanuts, he is more involved with the over the top stuff than most of the cast. But could Peanuts get something else at least like a stage? Possibly. They could do a neat stage with a bunch of background cameos and it would be interesting to see how characters like Batman and Arya Stark would look in front of the Peanuts aesthetic.

But will we actually see something from this IP? Maybe. We don't have much information on how the Schulz Estate negotiates for crossovers, but judging from Amageish's research, it seems that they might be chill with putting their content in MultiVersus, though it could be a different story considering it's a fighting game. It's hard to tell.

Want: 25%

Peanuts is iconic as all heck, so it would be a respectful inclusion. But personally I never cared about Peanuts. I saw some of the specials in school but I never went out of my way to watch it as it's not my thing. Although I will say I always enjoyed that one dance that kid in the orange shirt does (In the GIF above). It's the one where you keep shuffling your feet as you constantly keep turning left and right. Apparently it's called the Ruby Slipper Vulture Shuffle which is the best name to the best dance I've ever seen.

Noms - Concept: Characters with no Warner Bros connection x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In lieu of a pun, have some art
This will be stuck in your head now; you're welcome

Peanuts is one of the rare big IPs nowadays that isn't owned by, nor has an exclusive licensing deal with, a major media conglomerate. I could bore you with the legalese regarding who owns what stale in the property but basically, Charles Shulz's children are in control of the where and how Peanuts characters are used, and they are adamant that any adaptation stick faithfully to their father's work. In spite of that, they don't hesitate to license out the property often and to many parties (every single one of the big 5 Hollywood studios has dealt with Peanuts at some point).

MultiVersus reportedly isn't limiting itself to just Warner Bros. IP, which makes Peanuts an enticing get for the game. It's one of those brands that have a timeless and universal feel to them, like Hello Kitty. Peanuts would be a big get for MultiVersus, and with Warner Bros. having history with the franchise, it's likely that they could start talks to make it happen.

The main question is whether the Schulz family would consider it on-brand to have a character from their wholesome, nostalgic comic strip duking it out with UI Shaggy and Rick Sanchez. It's not a question I can answer, as it has many factors. Would the violence itself be inappropriate? Peanuts characters sharing the screen with R-rated characters and edgy humor? Charlie Brown being mechanically able to win something? At the end of the day only the Schulzes can decide, and you know what? I trust them to make the call. If they give the go-ahead, it's because and only because they found a way to get it done without being disrespectful of the property; otherwise they'll pull the plug (and MultiVersus can instead add their new OCs: dog with flying friend and his owner, not!Ness)

If we indulge the hypothetical (and isn't that the entire premise this fine website was founded upon?) then there's one thing left to wonder: who gets chosen? Who is granted the privilege to engage in glorious combat against Steven Universe? The first choice in my mind would be Snoopy, probably assisted by Woodstock. Snoopy's the mascot, to the point where in parts of the world the franchise is named after him. His face is on merch everywhere. He's also got the most moveset potential of any of the characters with his several disguises/personas, especially the Flying Ace; as mentioned before, there's also Woodstock, Snoopy's sidekick and fellow mascot. The smol bird would likely pop up as an assist for various moves. However, if for some reason they don't want to do Snoopy, then maybe protagonist and eternal plaything of the universe Charlie Brown would get the spot instead. The strip and cartoons usually follow him, to the point where Peanuts specials traditionally have him - not Peanuts, not Snoopy - on the name. He's got many iconic running gags (the football kick, his attempts at baseball, the various kites) that rely on physical humor and slapstick, so he provides enough material for a moveset. This might also make him the one character exempt from potential concerns about violence: it's one thing for a young kid or a cute puppy to get the snot kicked out of them, but it's another when ol' Chuck, the kid seemingly destined for failure, is subjected to cartoon violence. Something to think about.

Do I like Peanuts? I don't know, check my username.

I was introduced to Peanuts through two different, very particular ways. One was through the Poptropica crossover, I played that game religiously as a kid and Peanuts was a great match with its comedy-and-puzzle-centric gameplay. The second, and most relevant, was learning that the Mother games, my favorites of all time, took inspiration from Peanuts' very specific brand of Americana. Add the great artstyle, dialogue, and characters, and I was hooked.

What I'm getting at, besides my love for the property, is that I was introduced to it through and by videogames. From what I understand, it's an American tradition that many Peanuts specials are shown on TV yearly, so people are introduced to them all the time. That's not a thing where I live, and I hazard that it's the same in many other countries around the world. For those territories, there needs to be a way in for people, to actually get into the franchise and characters and not see Peanuts as just cute characters to put on lunchboxes. New specials and series could work, sure, if they weren't on a streaming service that nobody watches (sorry Apple+, but on the bright side, you have maybe the best content of them all?). There needs to be a different way, and if TV and movies won't do the job, why not videogames? They're one of the most popular mediums today, especially with young audiences. So if by some weird miracle we got Peanuts into a game such as MultiVersus, a young boy or girl could be introduced to something wonderful much like I was all those years ago. There's something in that notion that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Harry Potter.

Some songs to get into the wizard mood:

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
You're a wizard, Harry.

Chances- 20%

I know I'm being harsh here, but I feel that Harry Potter's chances at getting into MultiVerses have steadily falling despite the franchise's success. The big elephant in the room is J. K. Rowling herself. After she made those trans phobic comments (and her refusing to apologize), many HP fans are distancing themselves from the franchise. The film series has been suffering as well, particularly with the Fantastic Beasts films, with J. K. Rowling being one of many controversies. There is also the mess with Johnny Depp who, while not blameless, got blacklisted by WB while his ex-wife, who I would argue is worse, is still working at WB. Despite the success of the Harry Potter IP, I wouldn't be surprised if the MultiVerses devs chose exclude the franchise entirely.

Want- 0%

Controversies aside, I wasn't a fan of Harry Potter. I have seen all of the films though I don't go out of my way to rewatch them and I have read through the first four books but not beyond that. While I do like fantasy, Harry Potter never clicked with me. Throw in the recent controversies and you got a recipe of me not wanting to come back at all. If you want to watch Harry Potter, watch the Owl House instead!
Edit: You know what? I'm going to change my want score from 25% to 0%; I was being too generous.

My noms: Gizmo (Gremlins) x10

Last edited:
Top Bottom