• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Let's do this.
Villager - 90%
Could be an off-main. Regardless, I like the look of how he plays.
Megaman - 100%
Definitely going to be one of my new mains. His playstyle seems like one I would really like using.
Wii Fit Trainer 70%
Loses 15% for the initial confusion. However, her trailer immediately turned that around. She seems like she could be fun,though I probably won't be maining her any time soon.
Rosalina & Luma - 80%
I'll be honest, a bit disappointed by her final smash. Everything else is fine, though. I'll probably not main her, as with the Wii Fit Trainer, but she could still be fun.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'll drop my thoughts first:

Wii Fit Trainer: My favorite newcomer after my confirmed top 3, she was one of the best surprises I've heard about, and inspires me to play Wii Fit every week. Moveset wise, she also looks fun to use, and the deep breathing mechanic looks interesting.

Villager: Another great addition most didn't see coming, its great Sakurai changed his stance on him to represent the series. He himself is adorable, and the whole "taking everyone's projectiles" is a really unique mechanic he brings. Plus, alt costume adds more females.

Mega Man: Easily the most deserving third party newcomer out there. His moveset is also something we haven't really seen before, and his final smash is the best thing ever.

Rosalina & Luma: She's my favorite Mario character alongside Wario, so...
Her whole Carl Clover thing does look kind of complex for Smash, but I haven't tried her so I'll not sure I have an opinion on it yet. Despite that, unique characters always get respect from me.

So....100%. Everyone gets an 100%.
(Insert you get a ____ gif here)
Except Wii Fit Trainer. 99% for having a Male WFT costume. Stupid spandex man.

Last edited:

GloriousDay

Smash Rookie
Villager (95%):
I'm glad to see Animal Crossing get some representation outside of a stage. He looks fun to play, his moveset's nice and diverse. Definitely excited for him.

Mega Man (100%):
Holy crap, Mega Man finally gets some love! He plays very differently from the other characters, and he's a fantastic third party representative. I'm super excited to try him out.

Wii Fit Trainer (40%):
She looks very interesting to play, but she honestly doesn't seem like she "fits in" to me. Maybe that's just me, I don't know. I feel like another representative would have fit in better, but I'm glad she's in nonetheless because it paves the way for other unusual choices.

Rosalina (15%):
Rosalina seems very similar to the Ice Climbers, but with less of a degree of control because the Luma wanders on its own. Rosalina's been in everything Mario recently, which isn't exactly a BAD thing, but I would have definitely preferred another representative to her. Like Paper Mario or Waluigi. I won't really know until I try her, I suppose.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
:4villager: satsifaction: 100%
:4megaman: satisfaction: 100%
:rosalina: satisfaction: 100%
:4wiifit:satisfaction: 75%

I'm very satisfied with how Mega Man, Rosalina and Villager are. Mega Man & Villager were major fan requests and have great and unique movesets that represent their respective series perfectly. I wanted a Mario character, anyone would have been fine, really, and Rosalina delivered, with a puppeteer moveset to boot. Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion makes sense to me, but her moveset, while unique and quirky, is quite bland compared to others.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Villager: 75%
Mega Man: 90000000%
Rosa: 35%
Looking back, am pleased with the gameplay depth the character should hopefully offer.
WFT: 10%

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Villager: 60%
He seemed really innovative and fun at first, buuut after E3 and seeing actual live gameplay with him he looks a fair bit more messy to play as than I initially expected. Not my kind of character, but he's an above average inclusion anyways.

Mega Man: 95%
The video game fan in me says this is the best newcomer yet, and in total he probably is, but once again he doesn't really look to fit my playstyle. Regardless, I wouldn't make his moveset any different, they hit the nail on the head with him. Still, giving him 100% would mean I'd actually like to alt/main him, and I don't intend on doing so.

WFT: 15%
I don't like the whole Down-B+Neutral-B synergy she has going on, having a move be completely reliant on a different move in order for it to be of any use is bad design imo. Other than that she looks very boring to play as, nothing about her stands out and we have enough semi-fast semi-weak hitters already.

Rosalina: 0%
She's a mess, that's all I can say from the gameplay front. I hate playing Olimar and Ice Climbers, but now they're combined? No thanks. I honestly don't dig gimmick characters that much if you haven't figured out that yet, and E3 did nothing but make her look worse imo. Plus, I'm just so damn tired of her oversaturation in the Mario universe itself, and it only gets worse by the day, she should have stayed in Galaxy imo.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Villager 90%
-Megaman 70%
-Rosalina 40% - I get her inclusion but I don't care about her at all. Her FS looks like it's one of the worst.
-Wii fit trainer 20% - too gimmicky and she doesn't even have a face.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
:4wiifit: - 99%, Wii Fit was my childhood. This was one of my most wanted newcomers. The hype I experienced when I first found out she was playable was unbelievable. The -1% is only due to sun salutation.
:rosalina: - 92%, The novelty of her moveset is starting to wear off, and I am a bit bitter that the Paper Mario series seems to be neglected altogether from Smash again. Regardless, she's still unique and certainly preferable to other Mario front-runners that could have taken her place.
:4megaman: - 90%, Okay.
:4villager: - 85%, He's growing on me. I love quirky characters. Again, though, his reputation as "one of the worst characters in the game," (quoting Hungrybox) leads me to believe that some of his gimmicky moves are useless, a la Jigglypuff's sing. I can only hope this isn't the case.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I GUESS I'LL GET MY CHANCE... ANOTHER DAY...
No; you'll get it today: 0%

Moving on;

:4villager: 100%
Up 1%, Villager's Timber has been better explained to me now and whilst he's not my favourite newcomer(anymore) he's certainly one I'm 100% pleased to see on the roster. Particularly since female alts are there too.

:4megaman: 95%
No change. With him and Pac-Man we now have a perfect trio of 3rd parties. Whilst I have a stronger connection and feelings with both Rayman(Smash 5 maybe) and Bomberman, I really can't fault Sakurai's third party choices this time round. Again, only not a full 5% due to never playing a Megaman game in my life.

:4wiifit: 10%
Down 2%. Yeah I still don't like this character. Maybe that'll change when I get to play them, but for the time being I think Wii Fit would of been fine represented through a stage and an assist trophy at most. Still don't like such an emotionless, blank faced character in such an expressive game.

:rosalina: 50%
Up 10%! Impressive considering Rosalina had me foaming at the mouth in December. Rosalina's score seems to rise with every newcomer I get excited about; since Pac and Robin have gotten in; two individuals I wanted (one I felt was unlikely) I realise I may have put too much stock in the only characters I'd be interested in were from the Mario-verse and assorted spinoffs. Thus I am mostly indifferent to her inclusion now...

...although yeah it helps that Toad's getting love in the form of his own game and isn't just being totally tossed aside for her. That helps with the softening up.

Edit: oops 2013 only

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
:4villager: Villager: 100%
Animal Crossing needed a character and I am glad Sakurai chose him

:4megaman:Mega Man: 100%
Had no personal connection to him, but one of my friends really wanted him. His moveset is amazing aswell.

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer: 35%
After every newcomer we get, Wii Fit Trainer gets more and more boring and odd. I got used to her, but she is still an odd choice.

:rosalina:Rosalina: 85%
She is really cool and is unique. I would of preferred Bowser Jr. or Toad, but her unique moveset makes up for it.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
:4villager: 80% I loved playing the Animal Crossing Games. At first during Brawl's development I had the same mindset and reasoning as Sakurai for not including him but now I don't mind an Animal Crossing character.

:4megaman: 100%. I'm glad the Blue Bomber is not completely killed by Crapcom. And I like all the references in his moveset.

:4wiifit: 100%. I'm maining her. Her moves are incredibly hilarious.

:rosalina: 75%. It's interesting to see her, but her moveset seems kind of wonky and she's kind of been turning into the new Bowser. Jr in terms of favoritism.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Villager - 80%

Not really changing my opinion on him. He has plenty of tools to work with to make him interesting, but as I'm not truly invested in him I cannot be too exited over him.

Mega Man - 90%

Forever a baseline for what I have to make a rating. Honestly, the only reason I'm keeping him this low is there might be some character out there that can top my excitement for him.

WFT - 65%

While I cannot say I'm exactly exited for her, I think she was a somewhat necessary edition. Add too many complex characters and you start having to make a few to ease people into the game. So, a relatively grounded character that will be able to make a good beginner's character, like her, was needed.

Rosalina - 75%

The puppet master play style has an amazing capabilities, and she doesn't seem that hard to learn how to use (mastering is a different beast entirely). The only thing that bugs me is that she feels like she may have skipped the line, but for now I think it was worth it.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Villager: 95% Before the Villager was shown, I would've said no way. But I'm in love with the character design and moveset, and might even co-main him.

Mega Man: 300% My favorite video game character of all time, been my favorite since I learned of his existence when I was 3. The fact that he is in Smash is an absolute dream come true.

WFT: 50% I could do without her, but she's cooler than I ever would've guessed she'd be.

Rosalina: 75% She has a cool character design and I love the Luma aspect. But she's nothing entirely too special to me.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Villager: 85%
The villager is one of the more interesting characters, I'm willing to main him if I like their moveset. I'm happy Animal Crossing joined the series with smash bros representation.

Mega Man: 25%
The more I see of him the more I'm convinced I won't main him, he looks okay but not as impressive to me as other newcomers.

Wii Fit Trainer: 50%
The troll character, I don't like them much but they seem fun for a hilarious character.

Rosalina: 30%
Her moveset is fine although she looks kind of weak, and I don't like her final smash. I'm more fed up with the massive favoritism she's getting from Nintendo, Super Mario 3d world, Smash bros, Baby Rosalina. If only other characters can get a little bit of that favoritism.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Whoops missed the one yesterday, so I'll put that in too.

Yesterdays:
Robin: 100%+ The best choice in my opinion from the Awakening potentials. Sorry Chrom fans, I just wanted to play with magic, I've got Ike to be my big brute blue haired swordsman.

Robin's moves look exciting, and it seems like you might have to use tactical thinking with the tome limitations.

Lucina: 40% I have to be honest, I keep forgetting she's in, there was too much in that video, Robin's reveal, Captain Falcon being Captain Falcon.... and even that tragic moment with Chrom, where I felt bad for Chrom supporters (Since don't hate the character, just wanted Robin more.) Am I glad Lucina got in over Chrom? Not really, but until I've seen more of her moves and how she'll be made different from Marth, it could go either way.

Todays:
WFT: 20% I'm still not sure about their inclusion, it's still a bit too WTF for me...however, I'm currently in the best mood to be rerating anyone. Maybe it'll be different when I can actually play them in October.

Megaman: 100% Whilst not really a Megaman fan, I feel he deserves his space there, and I'm happy for Megaman fans.

Rosalina: 45% I'm still not sure on her either, but after Palutina's crazy amount of moves, Rosalina doesn't seem quite so bizarre moveset wise to me. So I'm a bit happier with her inclusion. (Though still not a fan of that final smash.)

Villager: 95% Still battling whether or not I think an Animal Crossing character ever should have got into Smash, but other than that 5% keeping me back, I think Villager looks pretty interesting to play, and could make for some exciting battles with their 'out there' move set.

(Edited because in my rush to post before heading out I misread oops)

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
:4villager: 100% - Seems fun to play as, and I'm planning to main him.
:4megaman: 99% - He seems awesome and I'm happy for all the Megaman fans. The one percent is him just seeming hard to use.
:4wiifit: 80% - Awesome joke character. I'm just scared that she'll take up some roster space that could belong to Ridley or King K. Rool or someone.
:rosalina: 60% - I'm kinda sick of her being shoved into everything. Also, her gimmick seems hard to use.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Newcomer Satisfaction

Villager: 100%
A dream addition. He was requested heavily the last time and now we have him.

Mega Man: 100%
A dream addition. He was requested heavily the last time and now we have him.

Wii Fit Trainer: 100%
A surprise addition. She wasn't expected at all and now we have her.

Rosalina: 100%
A dream addition. She was requested heavily the last time and now we have her.

These newcomers have been outstanding. They have their detractors and haters, but these are the kinds of gems you don't need to warm up to, unlike with R.O.B. All 4 of them were executed just about as well as I could ask for. I'm looking forward to playing as Villager and WFT especially.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Pacman: 100% Wanted and got him. Another deserving third party added to the roster.

Little Mac: 97% Still looks interesting to play as, and was the first new comer who really got me feeling pumped for the game.

Palutina: 45% I just don't think I get her, maybe it's because I've not played the game or because I wasn't expecting laser beams, I don't know what it is but her moves didn't get me feeling really excited about playing her...and that model, I really hope that's just the beta version. (She doesn't look like she'd be one for having a laugh with you, which is one of KI's main selling points and why I am still hoping to buy the game at some point)

Greninja: 60% He's still random, but looks pretty fun to play as.

Miis: 50% NO where near as terrible as I was expecting, but still not 100% sold on the idea.
You missed to add Tomorrows before these

I respect your opinion on Palutena but the "too serious argument" is a bit odd, so people expect her to go around laughing and making puns like a clown? On the other hand I HIGHLY suggest you to try KIU as soon as posible, the game is full of funny moments, but also shows some serious moments and Palutena isn't shown making puns all the time, you won't regret your time with this game so go and buy it this second :colorful:

:4villager: Villager: 65% a reduction from last time, I still find his default model odd, the gameplay didn't show much to me. O well still good he is in
:4wiifit: WFT: 80% pretty high for a random addition to the roster, still find outstanding that devs managed to put a moveset with a yoga fitness concept in mind
:4megaman: Megaman: 70% the same as before, no personal connection to him, glad he is in
:rosalina: Rosalina 85% she is bashed a lot, I don't quite understand the hate, for my if you bring something new you are welcome, saying her stole Bowser Jr, Waluigi or Daisy spot is a flawed argument against her. You know if Rosalina weren't in the game it's likely those characters would be still missing, she doesn't steal anything the devs saw in her a different playstyle and went with it.
Does the rejected have potencial? I guess but for devs not good enough.

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
:4villager: 95%. My only concern is the low viability of the tree attack.
:4megaman: 100%. In Smash Wii U/3DS, Nintendo treats these third party characters better than the companies that own them.
:rosalina: 100%. I wanted her back in 2011, but was always told that Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr. were more popular, relevant, and requested.
:4wiifit: 100%. I said it once and I'll say it again, screw the haters.:4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
My Satisfaction from Villager:
1 Million% - YES. That is all.

My Satisfaction from Mega Man:

95% - Mega Man's moveset being all projectiles is very neat and original, but I had to give him a reduction because as good as the shrinkage into the 8-bit body is, I would rather have him proportioned like he usually is in games/art.

My Satisfaction from Wii Fit Trainer:

80% - She's cool with having a buff special, but she doesn't seem that interesting outside of that.

My Satisfaction from Rosalina:

90% - The Luma-as-puppet-mechanic is outstandingly fresh (not as much as Robin's ammo reserves in hindsight, but i'm not talking about Robin), and she looks like a great balance between "hard to use" and "terrifying if used well". Now if only Ness could be buffed to compensate for his more-complicated-than-average moveset. :p

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Do we really need to constantly rerate the confirmed characters? I don't think anyone's opinion has changed that much.

Villager: 75% He looks fun, but he's not my type.
Mega Man: 95% He looks amazing for fans of his games, but I've never played one of his, so he gets -5.
Wii Fit Trainer: 100% Unique, Hilarious, and Recent. What more could I want?
Rosalina: 60% I like her moveset, but I'm still not sure her character deserved to be in Smash.

kylexv

Smash Master
Villager: 80%: Happy that AC finally got a rep, but not overly excited or anything.
Mega Man: 100%: Wanted him very bad ever since I got into smash speculation in early 2013 by lurking around here. SO happy he's in and a very unique fighter.
WFT: 40%: At first, like everyone else, I screamed "Waste of a slot", but I've warmed up to her.
Rosalina: 60%: Glad to see Mario back up at five reps, but should of been Toad or Junior imo.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So I posted these yesterday, just without commentary. I'll do the same today, arrows indicate change from post-E3 or yesterday:

Mega Man: 100%
Mega Man's move set perfectly captures my nostalgia for Mega Man 1-6. The fact that there's no MM5 move is slightly sad, but I have to admit it was one of the weakest titles for that purpose. Only Charge Kick would've worked well, IMO. Incorporating Beat as an AT would be a fitting reference though, I think. Great trailer and everything else too.

Rosalina: 80% ↓
Slightly lowering her score since as I think on it again, her gameplay looked maybe not the greatest at E3. But still like her and think she deserves the spot.

Palutena: 78% ↓
Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
Same as before. I like Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing, I think they add to what would've otherwise been a little too boring of a move set. I think she's quirky and she's one of the newcomers I'm most interested to play.

Robin: 75% ↑
Greninja: 70%
Little Mac: 67%
Villager: 65% ↑
Move set still seems confusing to me. Still hard to see how to use Timber effectively. I never could get into G&W and he seems a little similar. Hard to say before playing though. He deserves the spot, but he's not that exciting to me. Bonus points for gender swap options.

Pac-Man: 50% ↓
Mii Fighters: 37% ↑↑
Lucina: 27%

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
:4villager: 65%. Really not my thing but I think he's waited long enough to get in.

:4megaman: 35%. Really not my kind of character and I don't really care for him either.

:4wiifit: 85%. Love it. She's a character I'm growing more interested in playing.

:rosalina: 100%. This is a brand new playstyle for Smash Bros. and it's really nice seeing this type of gameplay. Plus the character is nothing but wonderful.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do we really need to constantly rerate the confirmed characters? I don't think anyone's opinion has changed that much.

Villager: 75% He looks fun, but he's not my type.
Mega Man: 95% He looks amazing for fans of his games, but I've never played one of his, so he gets -5.
Wii Fit Trainer: 100% Unique, Hilarious, and Recent. What more could I want?
Rosalina: 60% I like her moveset, but I'm still not sure her character deserved to be in Smash.
No. You do not need to feel obligated to rerate confirmed characters if you do not wish to.

Secondly, my opinion has certainly changed as we have more relevant news regarding the characters, namely game-play. We also have other newcomers that might attenuate my thoughts regarding them.

Villager: 25%
This is only based on the notion that he is a schizophrenic maniac that happens to moonlight as a sadistic serial killer that convinced an entire town that he was indeed the mayor that he slaughtered.

Mega Man: 50%
At first I was not content with his inclusion. However, he certainly offers a lot more than most of the newcomers. So he has earned his placed from my perspective. I will not lie, I am just going to spam the buzz saw blades when I play as him. The attack would make more sense in Villager's move-set though.

Rosalina: 75%
She was the most ideal Mario selection and she is one of the only characters to offer a completely distinct play-style. She does not appear to be a traditional marionette character, however. So I am not as interested as I once was.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Just looked at my previous scores, and there's not much deviation

100%
I had her at 90 last time, I believe, but as time goes on the Killager gets more and more interesting. It's just a tremendously different character. What got her the raise in satisfaction is the Treehouse gameplay I finally got to go through in its entirety, and I love how troll the character is.
Also, I didn't realize this when I used her in the demo, but planting the tree and watering it means you get to use the axe to attack. That's brilliant, and makes that tree move suddenly less awful.
Main material.

:4megaman:
100%
Everything is a love letter to classic Mega Man, and it's soo soo beautiful. Definitely one of the best inclusions in the game.

:4wiifit:
100%
I was meh on the character for a long time, but, again, gameplay makes me a lot more satisfied on her inclusion as she seems interesting and well balanced.
Definitely looking forward to using her, even if I don't main her or have her as a secondary. I just look forward to doing yoga moves irl as victory dances.
Also, am I the only one who's suddenly learning yoga terminology from Smash? Brilliant.

:rosalina:
80%
I really like Rosalina and the way she works in Smash is a bit intriguing. However, I have her down because even with gameplay I'm not quite sure what to expect from how she handles, and haven't really seen her one-on-one potential.
I need to use her to have a better idea.
Definitely secondary material though.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man- 95%
Don't really have that much of a personal connection with him, but I was still excited to see him. Great design choices by the developers, and he looks fun to play as. Pretty sweet trailer, too.
Robin - 95%
Villager- 90%
I don't see him being a character that I will play as that often, but he is very deserving and brings some new stuff to the table.
Rosalina- 80%
Happy as she looks like an interesting character, and she was really the only character that my sister actively supported to get in. Great way to represent that outstanding Galaxy games. Only point hurting her is that I feel like Toad should have been added first. Oh well.
Lucina - 68%
Wii Fit Trainer- 40%
Ehh. Decent joke character I guess, but I'm not that interested in joke characters until I get more of my top wanted in. I agree that the Wii era needed a good rep, but I have less appreciation now that we have the Miis. Don't expect I'll play as her much, either.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Villager: 100%
A creative moveset that uses a variety of in-game features. I was at first worried about his viability, but after watching gameplay videos this has changed.

Mega Man: ?
Indifferent so far. I'm neither negative nor positive towards him.

WFT: 15%
I found the idea of WFT to be fun at first, but after watching gameplay videos I've found there's nothing I like about WFT. When the game is actually out, I think he/she will get old quickly. I can see myself hoping that I don't chance upon this character when I choose random.

Rosalina - 80%.
Rosalina seems to me like she would be better 1v1 than ffa, so I'm interested in trying her out. My attitude towards her is something like, "Hmm, not bad."

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Villager: 50%
Never played Animal Crossing, and since I knew this character was an avatar character I was pretty disappointed that they didn't seem to be including a female version. The female alts were, of course, revealed, raising my interest in the character, but it still heavily emphasizes the default male (compare to Robin and Mii Fighters to see what I mean), and I'm not hugely invested in the character either way.

Megaman: 70%
Never played a Megaman game. Cool to see a classic third-party mascot, though.

Wii Fit Trainer: 100%
I love how Smash Bros. includes weird roster choices like G&W, ROB, and WFT. A huge plus for me.

Rosalina: 85%
The only part of Super Mario Galaxy I liked, and she looks fun to play as.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
:4villager:: 100% He deserves the spot and his moveset looks cool.
:4megaman:: 90% Never played a Megaman game, but I like his moveset and he looks awesome.
:4wiifit:: 50% Why did she get in? The Mii could have had a fitness based moveset for Wii Fit.
:rosalina:: 80% I like the gimmick, but I would have liked Toad more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom