• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
Before I start, I almost forgot a suggestion
@ Groose Groose I had an idea- rating the number of characters we think will be revealed in the direct. Maybe one with veterans and one with newcomers, or a combination, idk. I just wanted to add a suggestion as I thought it might be interesting to see the averaged number of all of our scores, and later compare them to what actually happens. I'm sure you have enough for a full schedule, I just wanted to add an idea, feel free to decline it.

Now to today:
I've decided to only deal with the top 50 for these rates. As much as I think Zip's rating is perfectly on the dot at 0.01%... I see no reason to even bring him up as he's so off the radar. I know that's not exactly what we're rating, but it's how I'm choosing to rate this.

So I'm going to compare all of the scores in the top 50 and find the difference between them and my current score for each.

Newcomers
1. Palutena (Kid Icarus): DAY 199: (95.23 chance
MY RANK: 100% - DIFFERENCE: 5%
3.Pac-Man (Pac-Man): DAY 202: (81.24% chance
MY RANK: 93% - DIFFERENCE: 12%
4. Shulk (Xenoblade): DAY 201: (69.73% chance
MY RANK: 79% - DIFFERENCE: 9%
5. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong): Day 200: (68.75% chance
MY RANK: 75% - DIFFERENCE: 7%

6. Chrom (Fire Emblem): DAY 204: (68.72% chance
MY RANK: 85% - DIFFERENCE: 16%
7. Mii (Wii Series): DAY: 202: (55.70% chance
MY RANK: 30% - DIFFERENCE: 26%

8. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong): DAY 200: (49.04% chance
MY RANK: 63% - DIFFERENCE: 14%
9.Takamaru (Nazu no Murasamejou): DAY 203: (46.06% chance
MY RANK: 67% - DIFFERENCE: 21%
10. Isaac (Golden Sun): DAY 205: (43.07% chance

MY RANK: 53% - DIFFERENCE: 10%

11. Ridley (Metroid): DAY 199: (33.02% chance
MY RANK: 70% - DIFFERENCE: 37%
14. Chorus Men (Rhythm Haven) 28.67% chance, 39.24% want
MY RANK: 29% - DIFFERENCE: 0%
15. Bowser Jr. (Mario): DAY 211: (26.63% chance
MY RANK: 33% - DIFFERENCE: 6%
16. Robin (Fire Emblem): DAY 204: (25.83% chance
MY RANK: 42% - DIFFERENCE: 16%
17. Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo): DAY 217: (25.29% chance
MY RANK: 28% - DIFFERENCE: 3%
18. Ghirahim (Legend of Zelda): DAY 206: (25.04% chance
MY RANK: 40% - DIFFERENCE: 15%
19. Waddle Dee (Kirby):DAY 198: (24.72% chance
MY RANK: 8% - DIFFERENCE: 17% (he was "most overrated" last time, and while this score was a step on the right direction, there's still room for improvement)
20. Sceptile (Pokémon) DAY 218: (19.49% chance
MY RANK: 26% - DIFFERENCE: 7%

21. Andy (Wars) DAY 198: (19.01% chance
MY RANK: 20% - DIFFERENCE: 1% (our other "most underrated" character from last time may have been deconfirmed, but Andy was re-rated perfectly)
25. Tingle (Legend of Zelda): DAY 206: (17.23% chance
MY RANK: 7% - DIFFERENCE: 10%
27. Marshal (Rhythm Haven): 16.78% chance

MY RANK: 5% - DIFFERENCE: 12%
28. Tetra [solo] (Legend of Zelda): DAY 207: (16.72% chance
MY RANK: 9% - DIFFERENCE: 8%
29. Krystal (Star Fox): DAY 128 (16.33% chance
MY RANK: 23% - DIFFERENCE: 8%

31. Ray (Custom Robo): DAY 205: (15.61% chance
MY RANK: 10% - DIFFERENCE: 6%
32. Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
: DAY 222: (14.08% chance
MY RANK: 7% - DIFFERENCE: 7%
33. Mach Rider (Mach Rider): DAY: (13.92% chance
MY RANK: 24% - DIFFERENCE: 10%
35.Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven): 12.97% chance
MY RANK: 1% - DIFFERENCE: 12%
36. Lucina (Fire Emblem): DAY 209: (12.78% chance
MY RANK: 16% - DIFFERENCE: 3%
38. Porky (Mother): 12.71% chance.
MY RANK: 3% - DIFFERENCE: 10%
39 (t). Vaati (Legend of Zelda): DAY 220: (12.64% chance
MY RANK: 2% - DIFFERENCE: 11%
40 (t). Lip (Panel de Pon): DAY 203: (12.64% chance
MY RANK: 4% - DIFFERENCE: 9%

42. Black Shadow (F-Zero): DAY 208: (11.87% chance
MY RANK: 11% - DIFFERENCE: 1%
43.Medusa (Kid Icarus): 11.85% chance, 28.26% want
MY RANK: 7% - DIFFERENCE: 5%
44. Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow): DAY 188: (11.24% Chance
MY RANK: 15% - DIFFERENCE: 4%

45. Muddy Mole (Mole Mania): 11.08% chance,
MY RANK: 7% - DIFFERENCE: 4%
46 Anna (Fire Emblem): DAY 226: (10.94% chance
MY RANK: 25% - DIFFERENCE: 14%
47. Blaziken (Pokemon): DAY 218: (10.82% chance
MY RANK: 12% - DIFFERENCE: 1%
48. Hades (Kid Icarus): Day 180: (10.30% chance
MY RANK: 1% - DIFFERENCE: 9%
49. Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt): 10.34% chance
MY RANK: 11% - DIFFERENCE: 1%

50. Toon Zelda [solo] (legend of Zelda): 10.15% chance,
MY RANK: 1% - DIFFERENCE: 9%

Most Accurate Rating:
Andy, Black Shadow, Blazken, and Duck Hunt Dog all came close...

But I'm choosing CHORUS MEN.
No detailed reasoning, that's just the only chance score I agree with rounded to the nearest percent. All of the others I disagree by at least 1%

Most Overrated: MII
I think they have a solid 30%... but I don't think they're more likely than not anymore. 56% seems too high for such a hated character that's "semi-deconfirmed"

Most underrated: RIDLEY
I'm expecting him now.
70%
Not 33%
I believe it was @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 's post that convinced me. And now I have an opinion that's 37% different than his score.

-------------------------

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't rate Bayonetta before E3, she was underrated, but if she's not revealed at E3 she'll have an even lower chance than her current low score. Agh, what a shame.

Well, hopefully the E3 reveals will destroy the charts by revealing our favorites. I'd love to see the rest of the major characters get revealed.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Most Accurate Rating: Palutena and Pacman
'nuff said

Most overrated: Mewtwo and to a certain extent Ridley
Yes they might be popular, but I seriously doubt if they are going to get in based on the circumstances

Most underrated: Chorus Men
I want to see an entire team doing their job, looks like a fun idea

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
All aboard the E3 Hype train! I'm very interested to see how the want and chance charts will end up like after a week - how many characters will be checked off, and how many we will embarrass ourselves about. It's all a part of the spectacle. :laugh:

Most Overrated: Sceptile
Again, I do not believe that the OR/AS remakes are going to raise his chances overnight. They're releasing after Smash Bros. That said, he's probably a shoo in if we get DLC.

Most Underrated: Snake
There are quite a few signs now point to him returning, though it may be us reading too much. In any case, his chances are over 50% imo.

Most Accurate: Abstain
Most them seem okay, but I have no idea as to which is the most accurate.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
50/50 character should be 50/50. I find it funny how Palutena, a character that Sakurai hints and teases at, but refuses to refer by name, is considered a shoe in, but Ridley, another character he gives the same treatment, is disconfirmed. His small size, his choppy animations, the removal of lava from the FD version... there is as much in his favor as there is against it.
I hadn't heard the one about the lava. What does the removal of the lava have to do with Ridley?

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
Most Accurate: Palutena

I'd be seriously shocked if she isn't in the game. That trophy trick Sakurai pulled on us in the direct confirm to me she will be playable.

Most Overrated: Chorus Men

People can believe what they want to believe, but in my opinion this Sal Romero guy is taking advantage of people because he got lucky with Wii Fit Trainer. Time will tell I suppose.

I don't understand the reason why Snake would be cut. He is unique and popular, it would seem like such a waste to discard such a unique well received character. Sure he is a guest character, but Metal Gear has special history with Nintendo, he has a place in this roster.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Most Overrated: Chibi Robo
He's not that popular or well known so I seriously doubt he'll make it.

Most Underrated: Ghirahim

You may think it's just the fanboy in me saying this but no! It's not! Believe me, I have reasoning for this which I shall explain.

My reasoning comes purely from how much representation Zelda: Skyward Sword is getting. Seriously, just look at all the representaion. Sure it doesn't match the likes of pokemon or Mario or Kid Icarus but it's a lot regarless.

List of things from Skyward Sword in Smash:
  • Skyloft as stage
  • Beetle item
  • Gust Bellows as item
  • Heart Container is based off t's Skyward Sword design
  • "More than a few" items to be from Skyward Sword
  • Fi as trophy
  • Octorocks appear in Smash Run (Skyward Sword design)
  • Ballad of the Goddess Remix
  • In Nintendo's E3 video with reveal of Smash invitational and Smash @ best buy is Ghirahim's theme and battle theme. Almost all the tracks in that video were from Skyward Sword

There are other things Zelda related that aren't from Skyward Sword (Bomchu, Midna, Skull Kid, etc) but most are either returning from past Smash's or series staples (fairy bottle, cucco, etc).

Most Accurate: Lupus. I'm not even going to give an explanation.

Attachments

andimidna

Smash Master
Most Overrated: Chibi Robo
He's not that popular or well known so I seriously doubt he'll make it.

You may think it's just the fanboy in me saying this but no! It's not! Believe me, I have reasoning for this which I shall explain.

My reasoning comes purely from how much representation Zelda: Skyward Sword is getting. Seriously, just look at all the representaion. Sure it doesn't match the likes of pokemon or Mario or Kid Icarus but it's a lot regarless.

List of things from Skyward Sword in Smash:
  • Skyloft as stage
  • Beetle item
  • Gust Bellows as item
  • Heart Container is based off t's Skyward Sword design
  • "More than a few" items to be from Skyward Sword
  • Fi as trophy
  • Octorocks appear in Smash Run (Skyward Sword design)
  • Ballad of the Goddess Remix
  • In Nintendo's E3 video with reveal of Smash invitational and Smash @ best buy is Ghirahim's theme and battle theme. Almost all the tracks in that video were from Skyward Sword

There are other things Zelda related that aren't from Skyward Sword (Bomchu, Midna, Skull Kid, etc) but most are either returning from past Smash's or series staples (fairy bottle, cucco, etc).

Most Accurate: Lupus. I'm not even going to give an explanation.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the fairy bottle design is from Skyward Sword.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I'm pretty sure the fairy bottle design is from Skyward Sword.
Whoa! Your Right! It definetly resembles the Skyward Sword design the most. Just another thing in favour of Ghirahim.

Also, I forgot to mention that I believe Ghirahim is by far the most likely candidate for Smash in Skyward Sword (Sorry Groose. Your pompadour just isn't enough).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most Overrated: Takamaru

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Overrated: Dixie Kong
I just see the ship has sailed...
Underrated: Ridley
Feel he is not deconfirmed
Accurate: Banjo and Kazooie
:(

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Most Overrated: Issac (rather sadly), Bowser Jr.
Most Underrated: Dunno, nobody seems too far down.
Most Accurate: Anthony Higgs.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Overrated

Sceptile.
(Just because theres a omega ruby, and alpha sapphire, does not help him for playable.)

Chorus men
(all because of a few correct things in the sal leak everyone assumes its true, besides he say a pokemon from x and y thats like buying 10 number tickets when there is 11 in the choosing.)

Underated

Ridley
(if you look at my post on page 636 and 637 of the ridley support thread that explains a lot, and people assume just a shadow deconfirms him and the camera is zoomed in to make him look big.)

Mewtwo
(i mean people are thinking mewtwo is dead all because of the greninja trailer, and pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire)

R.O.B
(People just say he kicked all because those guys don't like him, look at the facts hes a historical figure to nintendo, more love than you think, he's a retro character, and as a matter fact the mario bros stage in brawl is a nes like stage, and the ballon fighter stage is another Nes stage thats probably going to be his on the 3ds version.)

Wolf
(People assume he's a even bigger clone of fox, but he's completely different move set, and the ones too similar could get change in ssb4, especially because of the new custom move sets thing, and Ofcoarse hes a villian fans want more villians.)

Accurate prediction

Palutena
(shes the only one that is by far the most likely smash character leak very likely real, and that pesude palutena trophy is almost confessing shes playable.)

King k rool

(55/45 chance of playable seems accurate to me, i mean the kremlings are enemies in smash run, highly requested, his battle on dk64 got referenced in a way on the boxing ring arena in a potd. But could still be a boss though)

Meta knight
(Oh hes 98% no doubt about it his halberd is a returning stage theres no reason for him to be kicked)

Captain falcon
(100% samurai gorah id a assist trophy, and captain falcon has ben here since 64. And hes really up there on the popular smash character list.)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most Overrated: Chorus Men

I feel like I don't need to explain this. Who are they? Beats me. Now, there are a lot of characters that I didn't know very well before coming to Smashboards. But these guys...well, they fly in the face of every criteria Sakurai has ever made for a character to get in. Are they popular? Rhythm Heaven is, but said series has no "main" characters, to an even greater extent to similar series, WarioWare. Plus, why would a three-character tag team be added when the long-standing two character tag team is giving the hardware trouble? It makes no sense to me to add this bland character for the sake of surprise or uniqueness. The Sal Romano leak is completely overrated to the point of being hailed as prophecy - it is absurd.

Honourable Mentions: Chrom, Mii

You knew this was who I was going to say. You knew it before I even started typing.

I started my propaganda campaign because I enjoyed the character and wanted to see him. However, after I moved on from just wanting characters and into serious speculating, why on Earth would I still choose this character to talk about?

Because I legitimately think he has something over a lot of other characters, especially from his series. I've discussed a lot of his merits and things in his favour, but I am usually dismissed so fast they do not even hear what I say, all based on arbitrary arguments that in some cases, have been blatantly proven wrong, yet when I point this out, they turn the examples into exceptions so I can remain wrong.

Maybe it is just my experience, but I hardly see this sort of dismissal for any other character.

Honourable Mentions: Lucina

Pretty much everything that has ever been listed in her favour is legitimate, I think. Considering the focus on a game that popularized her in this Smash Bros, the potential for her as a fighter, and her actual prominence in her series that got this revival, plus the leak and the fact that Sakurai totally faked us out in the Smash Direct with her, I think her chances are pretty accurately gauged.

Honourable Mentions: Mewtwo, Ridley

D

Deleted member

Brawl Pokémon + Mewtwo (why is that not deconfirmed on the list?)
Technically, if Squirtle and Ivysaur get in, then there would be Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo (with Greninja as an added bonus! :laugh:). However, this concept is incredibly overrated... I feel the same way with No Brawl Cuts. As time goes on, these concepts seem less and less likely...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I love how certain personal beliefs, such as whether or not you believe that the Gematsu Leak is real or that Ridley is de-confirmed, can result in polar opposite ratings between individuals.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Most Overrated Character - Chorus Men

Wow, even if you believe in the Gematsu Leak, I'd still say there's a good chance it was referring to Marshal instead.

Most Underrated - Ridley

He's 50-50 at this point, I think. He's the only one that's notably underrated, I'd think.

Most Acurate - Lupus

...Do I need to explain this one?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Most Overrated: King K. Rool: I see Dixie getting in over him, even with such loud fan demand, I feel like the right choice is going to be Dixie chosen.
Most Underrated: Lucas: Bunch of biased people who seem to have a habit that Lucas will be cut nowadays, removing him entirely out of SSB4 is the reverse of what Sakurai considers the roster, the greatest Nintendo all-stars, Lucas is one of them.
Most Accurate: Palutena: She has everything going for right now, from leaks to hints, she shouldn't never be in the most overrated.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Most overrated character - Sceptile
hoenn remakes + different type =/= good chances
I blame the hype for this mistake, almost got a 20. . . just for being a hoenn starter with different type? just because we got remakes which will be out after the game is released, doesn't turn someone who is nothing into immediate character potential
most underrated - abstain (for the moment)
I don't got any idea really, may need to come back for this one
most accurate - gemestu leak
for an complete controversial topic, which pretty much half an half of the people are divided about,
and we got exactly an hair above half, I don't see anything more accurate than that

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
My current top ten:

Palutena 95% (RTC: 95.23%)
Pac-Man 90% (RTC: 81.24%)
King K. Rool 75% (RTC: 68.75%)
Mii 66.66% (RTC: 55.70%)
Takamaru 55% (RTC: 46.06%)
Chrom 47.5% (RTC: 68.72%)
Robin 40% (RTC: 25.83%)
Shulk 35% (RTC: 69.73%)
Ridley: 35% (RTC: 33.02)
Isaac 33.33% (RTC: 43.07%)

(I waver between Shulk and Ridley for 8th and 9th spot.)

Note that I do not have Dixie Kong on here at all because I think her chances dropped significantly when Tropical Freeze went without her reveal. I'd put her at about 25% (RTC: 49.04%). However, she's not my most overrated.

Most Overrated: Shulk
He is a serious contender, but the Gematsu leak, hype for X, and general enthusiasm for him inflate his chance score by what is, in my opinion, an unreasonable amount. He's still fairly likely, but he should absolutely not be above King K. Rool, Chrom, or Mii.

Most Underrated: Toad
People jumped on the disconfirmation train when he's actually been teased at a bit like Ridley, albeit not as obviously. (Four people?, Specifically saying Peach's moves may be refreshed, Rainbow Road and Mario Galaxy stages for Rosalina, 3D Land and Mushroom Kingdom U for Toad?, and Peach not playable in the Smash Invitational?) If Ridley deserves a 33.02% chance (which I think he does), then Toad should have at least a 10% chance. (I might even put him at 20%, which is 655.74% his current chance score.)

Only a .23% difference between my score and RTC's. That can be chalked up to slight statistical variances. Way to go, us!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Note that I do not have Dixie Kong on here at all because I think her chances dropped significantly when Tropical Freeze went without a reveal. I'd put her at about 20% (RTC: 49.04%). However, she's not my most overrated.
But... Tropical Freeze DID get a reveal. Diddy Kong (and to a minor extent Little Mac)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
But... Tropical Freeze DID get a reveal. Diddy Kong (and to a minor extent Little Mac)
I fixed it to say without HER reveal. They could have very easily planned to reveal Diddy beforehand and coordinated with Retro for revealing Dixie on Tropical Freeze's release date for promotional reasons. It would've only made sense. The only reason she has that 25% at all is because they may have revealed Little Mac instead for surprise factor. But I doubt that. Especially since K. Rool is looking likely due to the Kremlings in Smash Run (which, yes, is notable, considering that was the end of a 6? year long hiatus).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most Over-Rated: Ridley
Goes without saying. How do people even think he even remotely stands a chance is beyond me now. Dead since Pyro Sphere to me.

Most Under-Rated: Impa
Chance of a Zelda newcomer is 55% roughly. So why isn't Impa up there yet? Especially with her recently revealed role in Hyrule Warriors (which I called) she seems sure to capture this spot. Especially with Sheik being split up, I can't see them adding yet ANOTHER variation of Link, Zelda or even Ganon (even if Beast Ganon would be badass). And Tingle? Expect him to be an AT again.

Just right: Isaac
People estimated his chances in well.

D

Deleted member

So why isn't Impa up there yet? Especially with her recently revealed role in Hyrule Warriors (which I called) she seems sure to capture this spot.
Well, to be fair, we rated Impa before she was said to be a playable character in Hyrule Warriors. I think that she might be worth looking over again after that announcement in my opinion.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Most overrated: Ridley - No explaination.

Most Underrated: Paper Mario - People were way to harsh on him last time he was rated yet still very forgiving of Bowser Jr. It's also pretty much the consensus now that Pokemon is going to get six reps so Mario getting that many shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Most accurate: Unlockable Newcomers - It's pretty much a guarantee.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Overrated: Sceptile

We dont need to fill some kind of starter triangle.

Underrated: Vaati

One of the few recurring Zelda characters left.

Accurate: Banjo Kazooie

Everyone wants him, but we know its realistically impossible at this point

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Overrated: Sceptile
He was propelled by the hype train. Let's rate him after we calm down.

Underrated: Ghirahim
He's been teased significantly, so I think he's in.

Accurate: Waddle Dee
1 in 4 chance seems right to me, especially with the controversy

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Most Overated: Pac-Man

Yeah, he's a plausible pick for a Namco character (would technically be 2nd party if he got in, so no real point saying he'd oversaturate 3rd parties) and he has a wealth of material to make a great character, but I think Namco's involvement in the game only goes as far as character balancing and a few retro nods and not booting in their own characters. I just think people are overestimating his chances at this point.

Most Underrated: Sceptile

True, it's a breakout character in vein to the Chorus Men, but that doesn't automatically fault it out. With the 6 slots set by Pokémon Trainer and his starter type triad, it would cement the gap between Charizard and Greninja quite nicely. Some say that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are too recently announced near SSB3DS's release. But keep in mind the Wii U version will be well in development after OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire come out and the roster will be prematurely spoiled when the 3DS releases anyways. Really just the right character for the right time.

With the credible standing of the leaks, Pseudo-Palutena tease, and Pit's Three Sacred Treasures Final Smash change, everything's going for her in spades at this point.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Especially with her recently revealed role in Hyrule Warriors (which I called)
Didn't we all call that? I mean, the Dynasty Warriors games tend to have a large cast, and there aren't THAT many characters in Zelda who would make good playables for that game... It's pretty much Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Impa and Tingle for series regulars. I'd be surprised if Ganondorf wasn't playable, and I kinda expect Zelda or at least Sheik to be playable too. Tingle has an outside chance but I don't expect him. Impa makes total sense as she's been a warrior-like character twice and is an ally of Link.

ETA: Looking into the Dynasty Warriors series and seeing that they have bows in there, Zelda being playable seems more likely.

Of course, others like Ghirahim, Vaati, Demise, Ravio, Groose, Tetra, Orca and other one or two-off characters have a chance too. That could be a whole discussion in itself.

The Hyrule Warriors announcement does help her, but I think it's more the timing of the announcement than the fact that she's playable. She was revealed the earliest, aside from Link.

But it might be too late anyway.

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Most Overrated: Isaac
Sitting at 35.57% chance rating over his competition Matthew. I believe they should be much closer, consider that Isaac took a big loss of momentum at least compared to his situation in Brawl. Other than popularity I cant see that large gap be justifiable.

Most Underrated: Lucina
I believe most Fire Emblem staple characters not named Chrom are underrated, but if I had to pick one it would be Lucina. She's often labeled as clone and looked over and while it could be a reasonable assumption her potential is grossly looked over especially when compared to Chrom. This situation is ironic because she has the exact same moveset potential as Chrom.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oooh, today looks fun!

Most Overated: Takamaru
Lets just take a look at the three things that I think Sakurai considers when adding a character.
Popularity: Yeah, he's popular, but its not enough popularity for him to be one of those big fan-demanded characters like K. Rool or Ridley, where half of what they have going for them is popularity.
Uniqueness: We already have two ninjas in the game (yes I know he's a Samurai), and his play style would be too similar to Greninja or Shiek.
Relevancy: This is the only thing I think is going for him, but even then not that much. It's obvious Nintendo is pulling a Kid Icarus and wants to revive the series (first they revive Metroid's sister series, now they're doing Zelda's?). He had his own Nintendo Land game, and his game is being brought over to America via Virtual Console (the hope for Mother 3 is high). So yeah, it looks as if he is about to become recent, but isn't recent yet.
That's 1/3.

Runner up: Robin (Its gonna be Chrom. We all know that)

Most Underated: Ghirahim/Zelda Newcomer
So, apparently everyone thinks a Zelda newcomer isn't that likely anymore. I beg to differ.
After the direct, when it was announced that Shiek is her own separate character, people jumped to the conclusion that Zelda won't be getting a newcomer at all. While this makes a little sense, it ultimately doesn't.
"But Bidoof, there are now 5 Zelda characters on the roster! That's one more than Brawl, so Sheik fills the space that a Zelda newcomer would have had!" Don't interrupting me, Mr. Nonexistantvoice, I was getting to that.
Yes, there are five Zelda slots on the roster now. BUT, there were always 5 Zelda character! Even in Melee.
Whether she (Shiek) has her own slot or not, Sakurai still has to develop 5 Zelda characters, just like he has in Brawl and Melee. Adding a Zelda newcomer now would be just as much work for him as it would be if Shiek was still with Zelda.
"But why Ghirahim? Being recent and popular doesn't effect his chances, even if he does have a decent amount of moveset potential! Get off the Internet you noob 13 year-old!" Stop being a troll Mr. Nonexistentvoice! I'm going to report you next time!
Recent, popular, and unique potential? Sounds alot like Rosalina and Greninja, don't ya think?
The three big Nintendo series. 2 of this already have newcomers. Those newcomers were chosen because they were new, fresh characters, who were popular among fans, and could offer unique moveset potential in Smash. Ghirahim is the same.
Case closed.

Runner up: Ridley (Sakurai is a troll, and he would flat out deconfirm Ridley if he wasn't in. All teasing does is upset the fans, and that's a really stupid move from a business stand point. Sakurai's smarter than that).

Most Accurate: I'd say Lupus, but I want to say something useful. I'm gonna have to go with Palutena
There are too many signs pointing towards here. She is pretty much a lock, and I have nothing else to say really.

Runner Up: Dixie Kong (That's right. You just sit there under K. Rool you little pest)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oooh, today looks fun!

Most Overated: Takamaru
Lets just take a look at the three things that I think Sakurai considers when adding a character.
Popularity: Yeah, he's popular, but its not enough popularity for him to be one of those big fan-demanded characters like K. Rool or Ridley, where half of what they have going for them is popularity.
Uniqueness: We already have two ninjas in the game (yes I know he's a Samurai), and his play style would be too similar to Greninja or Shiek.
Relevancy: This is the only thing I think is going for him, but even then not that much. It's obvious Nintendo is pulling a Kid Icarus and wants to revive the series (first they revive Metroid's sister series, now they're doing Zelda's?). He had his own Nintendo Land game, and his game is being brought over to America via Virtual Console (the hope for Mother 3 is high). So yeah, it looks as if he is about to become recent, but isn't recent yet.
That's 1/3.

Runner up: Robin (Its gonna be Chrom. We all know that)
Somewhat ironically, a lot of what you said about Takamaru could apply to Chrom as well.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Somewhat ironically, a lot of what you said about Takamaru could apply to Chrom as well.
Somewhat true, but he is more popular and relevant.

Mainly though, he is from Fire Emblem, which, in Smash, is mostly based on relevancy when it comes to newcomers. The reason I think Chrom sticks out above Robin or Lucina is because even though they "are all main characters," it's kind of obvious that Chrom is the real main character, as he ties all these together. He found Robin passed out on a field. He is *spoiler alert but I think we all know this*
[collapse=FE spoiler that we all know and I just put this here to avoid an infraction]
Lucina's father.
[/collapse]
Plus, he is more popular, and is pretty much the face of Awakening.

But yeah, it's mainly the fact that he is from Fire Emblem that differentiates him from Takamaru.

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Most Overrated

Sceptile
We are most likely going to be getting six Pokémon characters. Four of those are confirmed, Jigglypuff is probably not going to be cut and Mewtwo is extremely popular. Even with Hoenn remakes, I do not see it happening.

Most Underrated

Ridley
With everyone but Ridley, Sakurai has been very direct about disconfirmations. He disconfirmed Waluigi, Dillon, Dark Samus, Samurai Goroh and quite a few other characters with no question about their roles. He didn't even mention Ridley, and all we saw is his shadow (and a bit of his tail). That is extremely fishy. There is no way he does not know about Ridley's massive (no pun intended) popularity. He should have be around 50% chance.

Most Accurate

I would say Palutena. She is really likely at this point.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Somewhat true, but he is more popular and relevant.

Mainly though, he is from Fire Emblem, which, in Smash, is mostly based on relevancy when it comes to newcomers. The reason I think Chrom sticks out above Robin or Lucina is because even though they "are all main characters," it's kind of obvious that Chrom is the real main character, as he ties all these together. He found Robin passed out on a field. He is *spoiler alert but I think we all know this*
[collapse=FE spoiler that we all know and I just put this here to avoid an infraction]
Lucina's father.
[/collapse]
Plus, he is more popular, and is pretty much the face of Awakening.

But yeah, it's mainly the fact that he is from Fire Emblem that differentiates him from Takamaru.
While I don't think this is the place for a proper debate on the matter, I do think that Robin and Chrom are both the "real" main characters. Not to mention they are very close in popularity, and Robin has so much more to offer as a Smash character than Chrom. To say that Chrom is a shoo-in is a little narrow-minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom