• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rate The Above Song, Then Post Another

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7/10 - One of the strangest vocal tracks I've ever heard, but it's very unique and the guitar part is interesting.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
8/10

Oh my God, I haven't heard that song in forever. God, I love rock music...

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8/10 I completely forgot about Rise Against they had some great hits

You don't realize how amazing these lead rock singer's vocals are until you hear them stripped. Chris Cornell has a pretty amazing tone and range.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8.5/10 - Already posted Like a Stone and the original recording is better than acoustic, but still, who doesn't like Cornell? He's a master vocalist, and a master list; for instance, people automatically think Like a Stone is a love song and the guy is waiting for the girl while being lonely, but it's actually about an old man waiting alone for death (everyone he cared for has already passed).

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
9/10 I was actually gong to post that song earlier but posted 4AM instead which has a similar progression. I Remember has my all time favorite chord progression though, it's beautiful. I've also gotten to play that song live a few times on my Juno Gi to accompany singers.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
9.5/10 - Chronic Trigger has one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
6/10 - Queens of the Stone Age is usually kinda hit or miss for me; this is mediocre, but not great.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
6/10 - OK-ish I guess... Also, the not liking electronic music is a problem because I play a lot of Rocket League.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
6/10 - OK-ish I guess... Also, the not liking electronic music is a problem because I play a lot of Rocket League.

So I love this song, it's especially fun to play on the electric guitar. The song without any audio issues I'd give a 9/10.
BUTTTTTT even on the master track there is a terrible high pitch humming/hissing anomaly that somehow made it past their engineers and mastering. And it's really flippin' annoying and ruins half the song for me. So because of that 7/10, apparently not everyone can here those high frequencies.

Also I don't quite believe you about electronic music, video game music is totally different from EDM stuff (VGM also has the side effect of being tied to the game; nostalgia, etc). So that makes me curious, what is your favorite EDM or electronic song that isn't from a videogame?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
9/10 for the good bass track, -2 for it being stolen. Final score: 7/10.

(This is my favorite EDM partly because it was free on iTunes when I was in elementary school and I listened to it a lot back then):

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
6/10

Techno at least for me has always been hit or miss. One one hand, there's guys who can do a take on it and turn into something interesting, and on the other, there's mindless drivel that is a headache inducing mess. Dubstep to me has always been in the middle. I don't hate it outright, but it just doesn't feel right to me. This is the same way. I don't hate it and it certainly isn't awful, but I don't necessarily care for it.

7.5/10.
Sample = Stolen?
To make a long story short, he didn't give credit to Queen nor Bowie for the riff used in the song and claimed it was "slightly different" because he added a note to the sample. This didn't go over well and the two were given credit.

So while yes it's a sample, he didn't give credit. So it was also stolen.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
7/10

My very first ever "live" performance was filling in for a sick drummer from a friends group in high school. They always opened up covering this song, so much fun to play and the singer nailed it that night. A kooky song for sure, but it's SoAD.....they are kooky to the max.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8/10 - SoAD has always been absolutely polarizing for me (for instance, I love half of Toxicity (the album, not the song) and dispise the other half). This is another one I really like, partly because of the song itself and partly the rose-colored glasses shoved on my face by ATV: OF2

EDIT: Just looked through the lyrics; I always though "spirit moves through all things" was "stare and we'll throw things".

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8/10 Yea same. I either love or hate their songs and half the time I'm sure they aren't as deep as people try and make them out to be.

I'm going to start posting iconic songs from each genre (I'm going deep, into genres some may not have even heard of lol)

So first up is PsyTrance or Psychadelic Trance

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
7/10
Kinda on the fence on it, but it's not that bad.

You know what this place needs? More outsider music.
Also, for the record, both Zakk Wylde and Mike Inez helped with this. Keep that in mind.
(And also for said record this is one of the more tolerable songs from this album.)

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
LOL/10

Approximate translation
1.337/10

Holy moly thanks for that lil robotute.

Next genre "Mash Up"

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
6.5/10 - Love the bass and synth, but is way too repetitive in general.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not sure if I would label it higher due to nostalgia, or raise it lower because it's a really, really corny song. So I'll keep it at an average 5/10.

So, a bit of a background:
This specific orchestra was back in the 1970's with an interesting little gimmick: being that this whole symphony is made up of non-musicians and musicians playing an instrument unfamiliar to them. The result...

Freaking magic.
(And yes. This is real.)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
1.5/10 - 0.5/10 because it's horrible, +1 because it made me laugh.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
7/10.

I'm not exactly a fan of Foo Fighters but that one is one of the few that I have heard quite a lot and it is fine.

Anyway, I'll leave this here:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7.5/10 - Pretty good song, but I've heard it so often that the appeal is starting to wear off.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Ever have that one song that you swear you've heard somewhere but don't know where? This is that for me. Ah well...

7/10

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8/10 - I was like "OK, that's decent," then considered how ahead-of-its-time that music sounded, and then I looked at the music video and was like "What is that man doing with that jar?"

6.5/10 for the song itself, +1 for being so advanced, +0.5 for creative instrumentation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom