• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Wolf updated 11-24-08

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey Wolf boards I need to improve my wolf and see where is my strong point and where I lack. So can you guys help me and tell me where I'm good at and where I need to improve more. Thanks in advance in all those who helps me. I'm looking for constructive critism and stuff. Well here you go!
11-2-08
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Ghost Pikmin(Mr. Game and Watch) 1
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Baka!(Pit) 1
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Tina(Fox) 1
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Neji(Lucario) 2
11-13-08
Katsu(Wolf) vs. SEAN(Shiek/Zelda)
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Zez(Link)
Katsu(Wolf) vs. AWSUM(Falco)
Katsu(Wolf) vs. AWSUM(Link)
11-16-08
Katsu(Wolf) vs. JASON(Snake)
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Zez(Ike)
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Cpt.B(Falco) 1
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Cpt.B(Falco) 2
11-24-08
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Tina(Fox) 1
Katsu(Wolf) vs. Tina(Fox) 2

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I only watched the first 30 seconds or so of the first match (nothing personal, I just don't think wifi is a great way to observe someone's playstyle). Never blaster GaW from so far away that he'll be able to bucket it without getting punished. It has a lot of cool down time, so if you ever use blaster, make sure he's close enough that if he buckets it you can get off a very devastating hit (preferrably one that will kill him).

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
On the third vid, you didn't attempt to save Wolf's D-smash at all. You used the move 8 times in that match, even if you were only able to hit with it once or twice. D-smash is Wolf's main kill move and if its decayed only once, you will have a very tough time killing with it.

You've got a decent B-air usage though, I'll give you that.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
thank you for the advice. The second one and the third one isnt wifi but just to warn you i did poorly one the second one.
Yes. I watched those, but not the WiFi matches. You should give his other ones a shot.
I left commentary on the Youtube videos, but I'll probably post again with a more in-depth critque.

My advice: Don't play WiFi
It makes you worse unless all you plan to do is play WiFi. It's like playing level 9 computers. It creates bad habits and makes you worse.

On the third vid, you didn't attempt to save Wolf's D-smash at all. You used the move 8 times in that match, even if you were only able to hit with it once or twice. D-smash is Wolf's main kill move and if its decayed only once, you will have a very tough time killing with it.

You've got a decent B-air usage though, I'll give you that.
Well, the thing about that is if he is aware if it it doesn't matter. It's good to be concious of your stale moves, but as long as you know when to stop spamming and when to regenrate your move then it's ok.

Like I'll usually use Dsmash pretty freely until about 70%. Then I'll rack up the last 50% or so with Bairs, Lasers, and Grabs. I make sure my Dsmash is un-stale or nearly completely un-stale, then I use it to kill.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Thank you guys for giving me some advice. Yeah I know the wolf's dsmash is his kill move and i dont really mind getting it stale sometimes. Wolf got other kill moves too like his bair and stuff. Thanks again guys. Oh yeah can you guys tell me what are my strong points also?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I watched the video where you played against Lucario.

I honestly thought it wasn't too bad. I liked the fact that you utilized smash boosting, however, you should find better opportunties to use it.

You did you d-smash a little too much, don't do that.

I also liked the no lag fair from the ledge? I thought that was pretty sweet.

Then I saw the video against G&W. I felt like you had a weaker game there. Maybe a better opponent? I don't know. It's hard to tell how good people are on Wifi to be honest.

I'm liking the b-airs though.

Overall not too bad. Just work on focusing on your strengths and reducing your usage of some moves. Save them for when you're sure it will pay off.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I watched the two non-wifi ones, and my biggest thing is that you REALLY need to work on recovery. Sometimes it was aiming mistakes, other times it was being too slow or too predictable and getting hogged. You should really work on positioning yourself better during recovery so that you can land on stage if someone tries to hog you. I'd try using more sideB for recovery and taking more care when you go off the stage to harass opponents (I liked that though, agressive is good, just make sure your opponent doesn't turn the tables). On a related note, your hugging after a bair was quite impressive, but it generally wasn't at a time where you would have to edgeguard.

Your boost smash application was okay, if they were timed a little bit better I think they would be more effective. A lot of your evasive maneuvers seemed predictable, but that's something that generally improves with experience. Your jab mixups were interesting, I don't see people use them to that extent often. In general, I find that they work better against larger characters if you're attempting to build damage, and you might also want to work on being quicker with them, or just being quicker in general. A few of the dsmashes you tried might have hit if they were input a bit earlier. Don't shine much on the ground as an offensive thing, because it gets punished a lot, it's better used for counters. And, as everyone else said, your bair usage was pretty good.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey wolf boards. I updated the thread with two more vids. Ill upload the other ones later. Can you guys give me critique on what i need to work on and stuff. Can you also tell me my strong points and weak point. Thanks in advance.

JCav

Smash Lord
only watched the vid vs lucario

thoughts

good
you havce a decent wolf, you know whats good. i was impressed with your hugging skills

to work on
DACUS-not an approach. nair, not practical. ever.

o and tell that lucario his fp is 50% on you

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
work on not fairing ...your spacing is horrible although your ****ty opponents dont even punish you for it so i guess you dont really need to work on that..your offense is too slow and your defense doesnt even exsist..you can boost smash apparently but you lack everything else that makes wolf a decent character...you scare me..

napZzz

Smash Hero
Sora when I played your wolf it was good D: (this is work from wiipals) and I didn't see many problems with it actually.

Wattage

Smash Rookie
I believe kailo has missed the concept of constructive criticism. As far as your Wolf goes I have a couple of suggestions after watching your vid against AWSUM (Falco):
- First off, nice use of smash boosting
- When you approached him you tended to lean towads ground approaches or fairs (when it was in the air), mix in some more bair approaches to keep your opponent on their toes.
- Try to save that dsmash for at least 90%ish + (on his first life I saw you use it at least twice when he was under 60%, even though they didn't hit)
- When you get a grab on him take the opportunity to toss in those few extra hits for a little damage before you throw him.
- Work on identifying exactly when they are in range for different attacks, I saw a few dsmashs and fsmashes that missed because he was just out of range; I say this understanding that some of these may have been preformed in anticipation for him to try to approach, just be careful about it because alot of people will take the opportunity to SH and punish.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
I believe kailo has missed the concept of constructive criticism. As far as your Wolf goes I have a couple of suggestions after watching your vid against AWSUM (Falco):
- First off, nice use of smash boosting
- When you approached him you tended to lean towads ground approaches or fairs (when it was in the air), mix in some more bair approaches to keep your opponent on their toes.
- Try to save that dsmash for at least 90%ish + (on his first life I saw you use it at least twice when he was under 60%, even though they didn't hit)
- When you get a grab on him take the opportunity to toss in those few extra hits for a little damage before you throw him.
- Work on identifying exactly when they are in range for different attacks, I saw a few dsmashs and fsmashes that missed because he was just out of range; I say this understanding that some of these may have been preformed in anticipation for him to try to approach, just be careful about it because alot of people will take the opportunity to SH and punish.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Ill try to mix up my approaches next time. Is there anything else i need to improve?

Top Bottom