• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Roy

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, sorry if this sounds like a "dis". But your Roy doesn't seem very close to competitive status [If there ever is such a term for Roy, disregarding Neo's Roy]. You have to understand your character more. At the competitive level, you can't just "pick up" another character just because they have upb, down b, etc. like the other characters. Every character is uniquely different and has their own specific advantages and disadvantages. Watching the video, it doesn't seem like you know Roy enough to be competitive with him. I would suggest getting to know Roy more [though I'm not sure if learning Roy is such a good idea because he is a low ranked character.]

Also a note about recruiting smash players. Not to sound like an elitist. But I really don't like the idea of showing friends combo videos and what not to show what's possible in the game. Because there are those who are truly in love the the game, and those who seek glory or think it's badass to become proficient in the game. It sounds like you appear as a broken record to your friends saying "l-cancel". The pro of this game are very in tune with how it works, that's why they can become good at it. Either filter out your friends that "actually" want to play smash and play with them, or find others who are actually willing to help you and "actually" are interested in the game, looking past all those flashy pro vids. Not that a sparking of interest through pro vids is bad, you just gotta know who's genuinely interested in smash brothers.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
What I don't understand is that you ask people to rate your videos, and when the criticize you, you try to ARGUE with them. Why asked to be rated? And when someone says something like "Don't counter" instead of taking it, or if you don't agree, ignoring it, you try to damage control yourself by saying it wasn't a serious match, or trying to argue that it's good. Did you think you were going to be the best player here? Everyone doesn't play perfectly, we all have things we could work on, so don't expect to be considered good when you ask to be rated.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i understand what ur saying Bullfrog but some people are tryin to be 'funny' about it and some people actually is tryin to help.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
NinjaLink, I'll have to agree with Bullfrog. It seems like you don't care for the real criticism. It sounded like from the beginning that you were just looking for those comments of praise and whatnot, just to justify that "your way" is best and that you are a good player. Please, be a little more open. The greatest of people are humble as they are strong.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I do care for real criticism but if i say comment on my vid with constuctive criticism and someone is tryin to be funny and say 'im just not gonna post anything', what do u want me to do?

Nights

Smash Rookie
hey hey, just try your own style, You can make use of Counter, i know i did, but just don't use it too much, cause if you miss with Counter, you become very open, and it makes people attack you less, cause they feel you gonna use it.You have to try a bit of your own style into everything, its more Mind games then skill, soo yah,but if your gonna counter, make sure its for something powerful cause the more powerful the attack, it will really backlash them on Counter

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Honestly, there's no point in posting a critique video if you weren't forced to play to your full potential by a difficult opponent. Also, games that you lose are much easier to critique, since we can tell you what you did wrong (much more constructive than what you did right, honestly.)

Things I did notice, despite it being a poor video for critique:

1.) You need to work on your shorthops. Mastering it should be your first step to becoming a good player. After you've mastered these, you'll obviously want to move onto L-Cancelling. Despite what people would have you believe, these two techniques and fastfalling (which you're pretty good at), are waaaaayyyy more important than wavedashing (though you should move onto wavedashing after you learn these basics.)

2.) Counter should not be your mindgame. Instead, you should use non-horrible things as your mindgames (like dashdancing into grabs and aerials or wavedashing in general). Counter just sets you up to get destroyed.

3.) Work on your spacing and knowledge of where an opponent will be after a given attack; you blew a lot of good opportunities.

4.) Do you only smash with A? If so, learn to smash with the C-Stick. I saw charge up a few smashes that would have hit if you'd just C-Sticked them.

Overall: 4/10 - You have a long way to go, but you have potential, if you're willing to learn.

Jash

Smash Lord
ooo that match was a little scary at the end. I was pretty sure i was ganna lose. I have no problems at all with Roy, Roy is one of my most easiest characters to take down....and i almost lost. 10/10 man, you really deserve it.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
The only piece of guidance I have is to stop trying to defend your style and actually take in the advice these people are trying to give you. I'm not sure why you made this thread if you're just going to ignore all this. A lot of these people are excellent roy players, and you should learn a thing or two from them. I think you are right with the counter is a good move, but still it can be replaced with better moves. Oh yeah, and a SHFFL here and there wouldn't hurt =P.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I'd definitely say the shffl is still missing (might be the matchup/stage... I dunno). Maybe one or two rolls to many, but that's probably confused fingers more than anything.

Looks good otherwise.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, now that I look at the video again. I'd have to agree with the others still. 9 times out of 10, it's a bad idea to use counter. Unless you're 80-100% sure they are going to throw a move that can be countered, don't use it. Also, try to implement Roy's dash dance for catching your opponent off guard. Though, I don't have any good example showing this. Though I believe most of NEO's vids show him dash dancing in and out of the opponents effective range.

marthsword

Smash Ace
What's the point of doing an unsweetspotted F smash at 10% after a useless counter? Your opponent wasn't too good. Grab more, don't full hop aerial. From what I saw, you weren't really shffling. Nair off ledge isn't that useful, and you didn't even L cancel. And Stop countering.

technomancer

Smash Champion
What the heck are you guys talking about? He SHFFLs fine O-o. Quit gettin on his nuts, I'm sure he's taking everything said here with a grain of salt.

The first match w/ Jash is pretty good stuff, Jash has a nice YL, good use of Nair to beat you out alot of the times. You need to work on:

Edgeguarding - you were using DED alot, though you did hit some sweet fsmashes. That doesn't work on anyone who sweetspots, or even really is close to sweetspotting. Try using things like hop off DJ charge B and Nair (not against YL obviously), your Bair, ledgehop Uair (when they go over you) to fsmash, etc, but with Roy it's mostly just a matter of edgehog->roll up->forward smash if they're at any kind of distance.
Combos - Your combos were off. There were a few missed L-cancels on things like D-air and the like that hurt you, along with not accurately following up on some basic launchers, and not really following up on your combos.
Grab Combos - Gets a second category because you almost always U-throw to Utilted. WTF that combo sucks, that's all I'mma say. Practice F-throw/D-throw to tech-chases with grabs, dtilts, DED, and Nair, and spot forward smashes when you can.

Also work on your Foxtrot. Roy should never have to actually use his dash.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Use more choppers and that will make you 100% better. Some more uairs are nice... grabbing is getting better... yeah choppers

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
What the heck are you guys talking about? He SHFFLs fine O-o. Quit gettin on his nuts, I'm sure he's taking everything said here with a grain of salt.
I think he shffls once the entire time of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-JORYAJM7I (and that fails). Now, again, I don't know if it's the character matchup or just the stage, but have a look at about 1:04, or 1:10, and again at ~2:00. There are other places where it seems a shffl would have been far more appropriate, but those were the few that stuck out to me.

That's his latest movie.

Epok

Smash Ace
countering is fine just not to much. remeber roy isnt marth so hes not as floaty and falls faster, if you keep him low you can do several air attacks in rapid succsession. its all about the L cancel, but your roy isnt bad just fixing the techincall stuff.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
two bad things about counter is that for some people, it doesnt open up as fast. The second is that is doesn't last as long as marths.

Ive done several practices using the counter and i believe its 1.5x dmg +2x knockback against opponent for smash attacks.
Why?

Counter does the damage back and knocks them up at an angle then knocks them down mysteriously at another angle. Its my theory.

Back to the point, countering is fine i guess if you KNOW when your opponent is going to use a powerful attack.

-FATE

-Clan-We hate marths peach, and shieks.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Its funny how someone noticed i shffled and saw it doesnt work well against young link and yet u all keep saying shffl........Y Link's shffl Nair cancels my shffl so im open game when i do that.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
And its funny you managed not to read what I said as a disclaimer. ;P

Disregard it if it's a character match-up issue.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Not u Sky2042. I understood what u said. Just some other ppl that said it after u mentioned that. Its kinda hard to beat him cause he knows exactly how to combo a Roy to death with young link.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Not u Sky2042. I understood what u said. Just some other ppl that said it after u mentioned that. Its kinda hard to beat him cause he knows exactly how to combo a Roy to death with <insert character here>.
Get used to that.

Top Bottom