• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Roy

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
OK. I'm the type of person to play around with the opponent to make them think they can always hit me, which explains the counters. Hehe. I didnt realize when i was using roy i wasnt serious. I was being laid back cause i know i can beat them. Im notorious for comeback wins such as this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLahgchjck I regret not recording those matches i had earlier this week. I will upload serious vids later on. My semi-serious vids are with sheik and marth. I got about 50 vids on youtube if u wanna look.

vericz

Smash Champion
Do not counter, roy has sooo many other great attacks. Try more grabs, Uair for more combos, and short hop more often. your full jumps usually put you bad situations. hope that helps

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I kno. Like i said i only fight serious usually in serious situations. I disagree about the counter. i kno somethings i full jump but i make advantage of it if i do. Also my friend does kno how to wavedash but neither of us really use it. I do it more with marth and sheik.

Elemennopee

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere cool..... Somewhere in a cave....A speci
Ken doesn't counter very much. I think you only saw old Ken vs BS videos. You shouldn't use counter because it is grabbable, predictable, and you pretty much give your opponent a free combo if you miss.

In the videos, you countered too much. WAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Your opponent is pretty bad because he can't tech and he never took advantage of your missed counters by setting up a tippered F smash. He also didn't grab your counters. Good players would never fall for so many counters.

Any decent player or pro could beat both of you by themselves because both of you would be spamming Counter while the pro takes his time positioning himself for a F smash while both of you are still suffering from the lag of the missed Counter.

So your final score should be a 3/10.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
no the vids were i think against aniki. I'll find them. Anyway yes i did counter too much but they wont learn. But the ones that really counted they couldnt do anything cause i did a split second before it hit me. Hopefully over the weekend i can show i can beat them without it.

Yea i found the vids. It was against Aniki. http://www.ssbm.it/vs/new/Kenmarthanikilink.zip
he countered in all the vids

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
You did pretty well, watch a few Roy combo videos and learn from those, also work on implementing WDing into your game, it would help a whole lot. When I play I rarely use counter though, unless I am against someone who can dish out some heavy damage, like Ganondorf for example, or Bowser. But overall, you are pretty good. :) 8/10

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Thanks. I really was countering to scare my friend. It intimidates them from attacking. I WD but not really. I was fightin ppl i didnt need to use it for.The best roy i uploaded is probably that FFA i put up. I hope i can fight someone later. My mother complains about me havin ppl over.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I do watch NEO vids. The only thing im really tryin to do is the shffl Uair. NEO pulls them fast and consecutively. I can do a couple but not lke 5 or 6 in the row. I do can link a shffl Uair and Nair into a smash though. Im workin on that. Do u kno the most recent vids of him? I saw one of his best fights against Krazyjones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9oHlWNwSY
I believe this shows how a roy should be.
This following vid is showing the shffl Uair performed nicely.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-rI1I47olU

halu102

Smash Apprentice
I noticed several things in the video:
1. Too many counters [I'll explain my theory on this]
2. Not too much teching.
3. Your opponent was either inexperienced with Marth and/or you know him'her too well.

Like the others say, there was too many counters I'd say. Maybe the right amount for that match against your friend, but for other more versatile players, it won't cut it. It seemed like from both sides, there was nothing but attacks and barely any grabs. If I were to play either one of you hypothetically and use counter everytime you approached me, I bet I would hit around the 90% range with counter. You guys need to open up your offensive game with throws and bluffs. You simply need to mix it up to keep your opponents guessing, same goes for your opponent.

Teching, just make a habit of teching "at the right time". If you continued to not tech against other advanced players, they wouldn't have to bother reading your evasive action, they can just **** you while you're still on the ground. But mind you, sometimes teching isn't the best option when struck on the ground, but for mindgames sake.

Also, you seem to be having trouble with shffls? One question, do you shffl with control stick or the c-stick and control stick together? Most of the time the c-stick shffling is easier and allows easier spacing. However there are players like Isai that can shffl and space just fine with just control stick.

On a scale from 1-10: 6/7 on account that you are definitely not the worst Roy on here, because I have seen much worse. Also, mindgames and technical skill could use work.

I'm sorry if I have offended in any way, and hope this helps somewhat.

btw, what you should note in that NEOvsKrazyJones vid is the spacing and timing NEO utilizes. Also his mindgames, especially the reading of the opponents "rhythm", which is not exactly clear cut. I also noticed some missed Fairs in your video, just work on timing, and i'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea. Thanks for the comments. I did watch the NEOvsKrazyJones. I said it in my earlier post. I dont really have problem shffls now but i didnt do it smoothly on that vid. Didnt really shffl with roy then. I definitely do it now. I have the skill just that i know i can beat my opponent so i dont try as hard cause i always come back and win. Thats my type of mind game. I shffl with the control stick. I turned myself away from the c-stick without noticing it. I dont always tech cause after a while it becomes predictable so sometimes i land on my feet without teching and sometimes i let myself fall.

Jash

Smash Lord
I like this guys Roy, hes pretty good compare to some others ive seen. like the neo poser vs Chudats younglink, he suked. ill give you ninjalink a 8 out of 10, i see you dont L cancel very much so if your ganna be real nice with roy, i suggest masterin it.

Elemennopee

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere cool..... Somewhere in a cave....A speci
Jash said:
I like this guys Roy, hes pretty good compare to some others ive seen. like the neo poser vs Chudats younglink, he suked. ill give you ninjalink a 8 out of 10, i see you dont L cancel very much so if your ganna be real nice with roy, i suggest masterin it.

No wonder you have that little red box under your name.

This guy is not even close to being comparable to Neo. In fact, no body is.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Yea. Thanks for the comments. I did watch the NEOvsKrazyJones. I said it in my earlier post. I dont really have problem shffls now but i didnt do it smoothly on that vid. Didnt really shffl with roy then. I definitely do it now. I have the skill just that i know i cant beat my opponent so i dont try as hard cause i always come back and win. Thats my type of mind game. I shffl with the control stick. I turned myself away from the c-stick without noticing it. I dont always tech cause after a while it becomes predictable so sometimes i land on my feet without teching and sometimes i let myself fall.
Hmm, I really would suggest c-stick when shffling, it allows much easier execution and spacing, key word spacing. Through c-stick, in conjunction with control stick, you can choose the appropriate attack with c-stick whilst controlling your character's placement and fast fall with the other, instead of using spacing, attack and shffling with one stick. Again, I highly recommend this, but if it's not for you, it's not for you. But that cheapness feel of the c-stick should be disregarded, as it's obviously implemented in the game for you and everyone else to use.

And personally, I think teching provides better options, because if you just let yourself fall and the opponent catches on to this, they can just reset you or simply add a smash to their string of combos, which would equal ****. If you add teching, there are even more options to add to your non-teched falls and thus more possibilities for your opponent to guess at.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
well being that im an only child i do single player alot and that doesnt allow c-sticking. As i said for many times, I know how to tech. Im fighting ppl i know how to beat. I said it before. I dont do all the advance stuff because i dont need it when im fighting above average ppl. I dont wanna sound like or be an a*s when i say this. Im better than this. Thanks for the comments though. I appreciate it.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I can't really rate you because your opponent wasn't too good, he needs more work than you do. You do counter too much though, you don't have to COMPLETELY stop countering but you left your self open a lot and so did that Marth. Try grabbing more and fsmashing.

Oh by the way, don't ask us to rate a video that you didn't even try your best at... Bring your best skills and videos and then ask for help.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
theres one every friday but its $10. I dont have money to spend at the moment. I have bills to pay. I also said in an earlier post i over countered purposely because i knew he wasnt quick enough to get to me. I also said the counters that counted he couldnt do nothin about. i jumped in his face as he did a down smash. Im also tryin to help my friend realize that and kinda givin him a hint sayin if i miss a counter hit me hard as hell.

Jash

Smash Lord
Just show your true skill and with people who are better then Sky *no beef*. because even if you fight a person like P.C Chris and lose but was fighting back to take off some stocks, we can rate you better then this.

technomancer

Smash Champion
In general I agree; that Marth was terrible, you beat him to the punch every time. However, your Roy is quite good, and your use of counter is reasonable. (Whoever said not to use counter at all is a donk, esp. in a Marth match - I've seen several pros use it in Marth dittos, including Ken, and Roy's counter adds nothing except KO power).

Two things you absolutely need are more grabs and more forward smashes.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I doubt Wes would set up something wit me. I almost beat him in a friendly at MLG NY. I was using Link though. I was fighting different then. I dont know what it is but tournaments will change ur fighting style. And i know i need more experience fighting different people. All the people i fought in the past for the most part sucked. I need to fight better people to better myself. My friends that fight me kinda fail to listen to me say 'L-Cancel' more so im not sure if i should bother anymore.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Bogus dude, you're pretty good, and if you PM Wes he can probably link you to some infos about what's happening in your area even if he doesn't want to play. I'm pretty sure there's a tournament in every state at least once a month these days, 'cept maybe Montana where they don't have much in the way of electricity, so you just have to be patient. And show your friends some hot videos, like Evolution. Evolution is great for getting noobs to want to play.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Its not the tournament scene that bothers me, its havin the money for it. My money flow is trippin cause my job wont give me hours and i have a bill to pay. I cant spare $10 or so for each tournament. I dont believe there are free tourneys just to play people and being in NY one of the most expensive places to live i doubt i'll find that.

Top Bottom