• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my New Roy Style

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

technomancer

Smash Champion
Good stuff, reminds me of Neo a bit. Great spacing, great use of pokes to create grabs, but overall a bad opponent. Watch out for quick characters that like to WD-jab out of shield. The second vid seemed like I was just watching you demo your shffl skills.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hey Technomancer. U had fate in me in the past. Glad ur still around. Thanks for the comments. I keep laughing at those vids cause i was mindgaming him lmao and the wavelanding.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
All I see that's new is you dashdanced into forward-b combos.

And saying that he's like NEO is completely ******** and untrue, techno. He plays ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE NEO.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Watch the 2nd match:

+great SHFFL
+Good mindgames
+good control

-Opponent tauted in the middle of match=noob
-used counter to much(pro would kill you with the lag)
-I dont think its smart to charge a B in the middle of a match......

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Yes....!! I love your Roy! Yours play just like mine! Man!! I wish I can get some videos of me playing...Anywayz, just learn to counter more and you should be good. I never thought to use the F-B like that. I'm realizing my 2nd main is Roy, also.

Rage.

Smash Ace
Watch the 2nd match:

+great SHFFL
+Good mindgames
+good control

-Opponent tauted in the middle of match=noob
-used counter to much(pro would kill you with the lag)
-I dont think its smart to charge a B in the middle of a match......
Whats wrong with taunting in middle of a match?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uhhh he got hit right when he taunted......Is that good or bad? You tell me...
He didn't get hit when he taunted.

When do you taunt? Between stocks? Noob.

Nice movement overall, though a bit counter-happy.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nothing about your playing style, but if I show videos of myself, they are going to be of me winning :p

Link226

Smash Ace

LOL Owned.

Your movement is nice, but i dont think you should counter so much. Well i know thats your thing but its way to risky, cuz if you was playing someone better you would have gotten owned with every missed counter.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace

I dont know if you are blind or stupid(or both) but yes my friend he did taunt then rolled into a F-smash which destroyed him....

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, I don't know if you're stubborn or just plain ignorant, but you said it yourself - he ROLLED into a F-Smash. Or what, is rolling suddenly part of Pikachu's taunt now?

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Well, I don't know if you're stubborn or just plain ignorant, but you said it yourself - he ROLLED into a F-Smash. Or what, is rolling suddenly part of Pikachu's taunt now?
LMAO.

I only taunt when something really dumb happens. >.> Like auto-kill or I killed my self. Basically taunts are usually used for PWND. But...don't taunt ever. EVER.

Edit: I contradicted myself. ^^;

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
What happened, was he taunted had very few options then just rolled, which the Roy predicted then got killed.
So if you can put 2+2 togethor you will see that the taunt caused the death.........:chuckle:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Shield, roll AWAY, jump, spot-dodge, IASA dash...

Seems that rolling behind Roy was the worst option, EVER, but not the only one available. Care to actually use explicit logic when applying such figures of speech as "putting two and two together?"

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Shield, roll AWAY, jump, spot-dodge, IASA dash...

Seems that rolling behind Roy was the worst option, EVER, but not the only one available. Care to actually use explicit logic when applying such figures of speech as "putting two and two together?"
The roy was standing there and watching as he ending the taunt. If he roll away: Grab, if he jump: Roy up-tilt, f-air, if he spot dodge Roy wait then smash. See the Roy saw him taunt then knew he had thoses options and just waited. The taunt was the base of the mistake if you look deep enough...

Link226

Smash Ace
The roy was standing there and watching as he ending the taunt. If he roll away: Grab, if he jump: Roy up-tilt, f-air, if he spot dodge Roy wait then smash. See the Roy saw him taunt then knew he had thoses options and just waited. The taunt was the base of the mistake if you look deep enough...
Stop making yourself look stupid, Ankoko won the argument thats it. gg

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
NinjaLink, why have you never posted a video of you playing against a Space Animal? Between your combo video and all of the movies you've posted, there's never been a single Fox or Falco in any clip.

Also, post videos of some tournament matches that you play in. If you're going to stroke your ego, at least do so with credible match footage.

P.S. I'm going to answer my own question about the space animals. Either A.) You're so terrible against space animals you're ashamed to post footage of your games against them or B.) All of your videos are footage against the same handful of people, none of whom use Fox or Falco (Two of the only three or four matchups in the game that REALLY matter, since everyone and their mom plays Fox or Falco at tournies.) B, of course, implies that you don't go to tournaments, which makes your footage and ego stroking even more pointless and undeserved.

Oh, and don't just say: "I just don't listen to some people." or just ignore my post like you usually do.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If anyone knows your Roy better than you itd Your Co-leader. I said I would not help you any further cause you were ether being stubbern or Was mad at me for some odd reason which I have no clue why. But you are in this crew and as co leader I have to help my crew mates so we can all be on the same page. Now you can ether take my advice or not (If you refuse, your on your own as for help In I.E Period) You choose.

Now, this new style You say you have here. Only thing I really noticed that you do is L-cancel better and shfl more. And also more agressive than before. Yo keep being power hungry and a smart player will pwn you for it. I dont say it cause I want you to stop being that way and make fights easyer for me. its cause its the truth, and im not the only one who thinks so. You need to think more in your matches dude, Not just attack like crazy and hope that the player will get hit or fall for what you are doing. You already have the basics down packed with Roy. and as I see you dont ask for Roy advice around here, so I assume you know how to work with him well. Your mindgames need to increase. You can learn all the techs and tricks in the world. But if your mindgames are poor, they are no use. If you lose fights its cause you lack mindgames or are just straight power hungry. Im sure you watch neo, he players smart. even if at times he does go beast mode with the attacking. You watch him more than me so you should know. play smart in matches, think, look at your enemy, watch how they move, etc. No one can just give you mindgames, its something one does on its own. that is why they are called mindgames.

Now I may not know much about roy, but here is a few tips (based on how I use him) that can help you.

- Jab more. OMG His jab can stop so much stuff and can lead to combos even. and it has a desent range, so if someone is going power hungry on the stage, jab to stop them dead in thier tracks.

-Mindgame your attacks, dont just get 2 hits and think you can continue when you cant or the player is out of reach, cause then you leave yourself open and get owned. You love to Dtilt alot, which is good. but dude, it tend to get predicatble and im sure you have paid the price before.

-stop always going into your opponet. You love to do that, and you jump right into ****. High tiers will own you for that. Chill and calm down. smart players are patient. and dont always rush. they think and use tatics to handle the fight they are in. Work on that. You see how when I roy ditto you, I am so power hungry, and get owned for that. so You should know about this. If I was to use Roy as I do my Peach, I might win most of the roy dittos I have with you.

Your style I only see shfl and speed and better L-cancels in your roy. All that alone wont get you far if your playing against a smart player. And wont get far if they watch your every move and take advantage of it. In my opinion, You need to work on your mindgames alot. You already know the basics with Roy and it makes him pretty good. But he could be so much more with mindgames. Work on that and screw everything else you already know. without mindgames all that you know and learn means nothing and cant do jack with it.

I'll rate your roy 6.0

Jash

Smash Lord
Ninjalink, i have been training with you since i met you, and since then you have improved dramatically. But as we get better...we are also suppose to get smarter as to how we adapt with our characters. Now as Dark.Pch said, You have everything down packed with Roy, you know all his technical stuff. Thats 50% of you actually winning matches, so now comes the hard part of which you kinda lack. Mindgames and Patience. This is all you need to be successful with Roy since you already have the other 50% done you need to work on that. Also as Dark.Pch said, you cannot just jump into peoples faces, especially not with Roy, you must let them come to you. If you put Patience along with Mindgames in your game then you will be ultra with Roy. Now im not saying this to try and flame you NinjaLink, im just very concerned on the route your taking. I know your thinking "What route?". Well to be precise, i never use Marth, theres no reason why i should be beating you with him, and theres definitely no dam reason why i should be beating you with Pichu either. Just work on that ok?

5.5 from me.

technomancer

Smash Champion
You need more defensive work as well, you're a very aggressive player. I just watched the last two Peach videos and it seems like you were getting caught in the downsmash more than you needed too, and when you did you got hit with multiple hits, which happens but at the same time is something to work on. You are dealing a ton of damage in those vids as well but seem to have trouble with the KOs. Again, something to work on.

I disagree with Dark.Pch's comment about using the jab more, Roy's jab is pretty situational and it's always better to be moving and avoid the hits, because the jab runs almost a half second of lag. Since it's technically not fast enough to counter shieldgrabs either it really doesn't have a solid place in Roy's game.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This post is not ment to make him look bad. we never said he sucks, etc. We just trying to help him out. (me really if he allows me too.) he is in my crew, so I do what I can to help him out. Im not saying Im a god or anything in this crew, you seen some of the vids with me and him. He gets at me at times. So he knows what he is doing. Just needs more mindgames, patients etc

Technomancer- Well I dont main roy so I would not really know for sure. But I tend to use his Jab alot and it stops enemys from what they are doing at times. maybe im just lucky? ahh what the hell XD!!!!!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
NinjaLink, why have you never posted a video of you playing against a Space Animal? Between your combo video and all of the movies you've posted, there's never been a single Fox or Falco in any clip.

Also, post videos of some tournament matches that you play in. If you're going to stroke your ego, at least do so with credible match footage.

P.S. I'm going to answer my own question about the space animals. Either A.) You're so terrible against space animals you're ashamed to post footage of your games against them or B.) All of your videos are footage against the same handful of people, none of whom use Fox or Falco (Two of the only three or four matchups in the game that REALLY matter, since everyone and their mom plays Fox or Falco at tournies.) B, of course, implies that you don't go to tournaments, which makes your footage and ego stroking even more pointless and undeserved.

Oh, and don't just say: "I just don't listen to some people." or just ignore my post like you usually do.
Going Hard with the critisism there Ted. Ego Stroking? I said played different not have the best thing in the world. Calm that down just a little please. I know ur trying to help but dont act like i'm trying to hide anything or i find some not-so-good person to make myself look good. I rather not be known like that. I dont really fight ppl that use space animals. I would like for someone to record my matches at a tourney. For Better critque i'll record some matches with good players fighting as space animals. As for the tourney thing, someone needs to bring they camera being i dont have one. Dont know when that'll be being something happened here in NYC.

Jash. When i was fighting u yesterday did it seem like i was doing my best? U know how i am. Something happened to me on my way there so that really bothered me and the freaking allergies at times caused me to play with one eye lol. I'm not trying to john. I have had my mind broken. Really broken. I dont think of myself the same anymore.

Anything anyone wants to add? I hear good and bad mindgames. Regardless i have to add more being im in that phase of training. I got the 2 easy parts out the way. Now for the final which probably cant be 100% so i'll continue on that. Thanks for the critique.

The_Trap

Smash Cadet
I think your roy is pretty good! ^_^

But honestly, I think you need to stop falling for so many traps, and you need to set more traps as well. Think of it this way: you opponent wont be falling for your trap if you dont set a trap for him to fall for in the first place!

Good news is: lots of room for improvement! ^^

Top Bottom