• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My New OU Team

IceArrow

Smash Lord
This team has been doing very well for me. I have won 90 % of the time. The strategy of this team is to have my team come in on resisted hits and then hit them hard with a strong attack.

This team got into a finals in a PO tournament but I screwed up in the finals.

My Team

A Closer Look at the Team

Empoleon @ Focus Sash

Torrent / Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs - 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Hydro Pump
Aqua Jet
Stealth Rock
Ice Beam

Empoleon is a very great lead I have been using. Hydro Pump OHKOs a lot of things and if they have a Focus Sash I use Aqua Jet. I tried some other Stealth Rock users but Empoleon is the best one I found. I gave Empoleon Focus Sash helps even more because it gives me a chance to use a Torrent boosted Aqua Jet or Hydro Pump and it lets me live another turn.

What Empoleon does to other leads:
Azelf: My favorite matchup, Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet kills it and they usually Taunt me.

Machamp: Machamp is my worst matchup, I just switch to Flygon or Kingdra and then they usually switch out of Machamp.

Aerodactyl: Same as Azelf, Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet.

Metagross: They usually Earthquake and I switch to Flygon and Threaten them with EQ but I end up using U-Turn so I get a free SE hit.

Swampert: Hydro Pump twice kills him I think.

Jirachi: Same as Metagross, switch to Flygon.

Infernape: Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet if they dont have Fake Out, Otherwise Switch to Kingdra.

Roserade: Let him put me to sleep and then switch to Metagross.

Heatran: Hydro Pump or SR, usually SR and then Hydro Pump.

Ninjask: SR while they protect and then Ice Beam a lot.

Most of the time I get the Rocks out later in the game when I come in on a resisted hit.

-------

Jolteon @ Life Orb

Volt Absorb / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs - 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Thunderbolt
Charge Beam
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power (Grass)

Jolteon is a very good sweeper because after 1 Charge Beam he has a very huge Special Attack stat and he already has one of the highest Speed stat in OU. I chose Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice because Swampert was giving me trouble after Breloom died. I will probably change it back to HP Ice to deal with Flygon.

-------

Metagross @ Life Orb

Clear Body / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs - 252 Atk / 132 Spe / 112 HP / 12 Def

Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Explosion

Standard Agiligross set. With such high Attack with one Speed boost he can kill everything and outspeeds everything.

-------

Flygon @ Choice Scarf

Levitate / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs - 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Since Flygon is the most used revenge killer in OU he is my revenge killer. Him and Empoleon work great together because there weaknesses are resisted by each other. This is another standard set that works great.

-------

Kingdra @ Choice Specs

Swift Swim / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs - 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Surf
Dragon Pulse

I saw this set on Ankoku's RMT and tried it out and it works great so im using it. Hydro Pump with Stab and Specs is really powerful.

-------

Breloom @ Toxic Orb

Poison Heal / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP

Spore
Seed Bomb
Focus Punch
Substitute

Another Standard set. This pokemon always helps me in the end to win. He is very Clutch because later in the game he is faster than the opponents usually.

Pros
1. Good against Stall.
2. Some very fast Pokemon on the team.
3. Each pokemon has a very strong STAB attack.
Cons
1. Not very good type coverage.
2. Fighting Types give me trouble.

Building Process

I saw these 2 pokemon in a PO tourney and I tried them out and they worked very well.

I saw that with 2 Special Attackers I would need a physical pokemon and every team needs a fighting type so I went with Breloom and it helps this team a lot.

I needed a revenge killer and another choice pokemon I went with Kingdra and Flygon.

This team needed another physical attacker so I went with Honchkrow.

I decided that Honchkrow was way to weak so I switched him to Metagross but Metagross has been dead weight so I am looking for another pokemon to switch to.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Instead of your current Empoleon spread, I would suggest using 152 HP/252 SpA/100 Spe so you can outspeed things like TTar, Metagross, and Machamp.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm actually curious how lots of HP EVs goes well with Focus Sash.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm actually curious how lots of HP EVs goes well with Focus Sash.
Focus Sash only helps against certain leads. In other cases, you'd rather have bulk. Shuca Berry might be better.

Your Breloom is really quite frail.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
12 HP EV's givess you a magical 33 from Toxic Orb recovery. Takes the 8 EV's out of speed, they don't help with anything really.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
you could always try running the subseed EV spread on breloom, yea you're slower than other breloom but it helps with his bulk

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
This team has been doing very well for me. I have won 90 % of the time. The strategy of this team is to have my team come in on resisted hits and then hit them hard with a strong attack.

This team got into a finals in a PO tournament but I screwed up in the finals.

My Team

A Closer Look at the Team

Empoleon @ Focus Sash

Torrent / Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs - 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Hydro Pump
Aqua Jet
Stealth Rock
Ice Beam

Empoleon is a very great lead I have been using. Hydro Pump OHKOs a lot of things and if they have a Focus Sash I use Aqua Jet. I tried some other Stealth Rock users but Empoleon is the best one I found. I gave Empoleon Focus Sash helps even more because it gives me a chance to use a Torrent boosted Aqua Jet or Hydro Pump and it lets me live another turn.

What Empoleon does to other leads:
Azelf: My favorite matchup, Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet kills it and they usually Taunt me.

Machamp: Machamp is my worst matchup, I just switch to Flygon or Kingdra and then they usually switch out of Machamp.

Aerodactyl: Same as Azelf, Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet.

Metagross: They usually Earthquake and I switch to Flygon and Threaten them with EQ but I end up using U-Turn so I get a free SE hit.

Swampert: Hydro Pump twice kills him I think.

Jirachi: Same as Metagross, switch to Flygon.

Infernape: Hydro Pump to Aqua Jet if they dont have Fake Out, Otherwise Switch to Kingdra.

Roserade: Let him put me to sleep and then switch to Metagross.

Heatran: Hydro Pump or SR, usually SR and then Hydro Pump.

Ninjask: SR while they protect and then Ice Beam a lot.

Most of the time I get the Rocks out later in the game when I come in on a resisted hit.

-------

Jolteon @ Life Orb

Volt Absorb / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs - 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Thunderbolt
Charge Beam
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power (Grass)

Jolteon is a very good sweeper because after 1 Charge Beam he has a very huge Special Attack stat and he already has one of the highest Speed stat in OU. I chose Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice because Swampert was giving me trouble after Breloom died. I will probably change it back to HP Ice to deal with Flygon.

-------

Metagross @ Life Orb

Clear Body / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs - 252 Atk / 132 Spe / 112 HP / 12 Def

Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Explosion

Standard Agiligross set. With such high Attack with one Speed boost he can kill everything and outspeeds everything.

-------

Flygon @ Choice Scarf

Levitate / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs - 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Earthquake
Outrage
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Since Flygon is the most used revenge killer in OU he is my revenge killer. Him and Empoleon work great together because there weaknesses are resisted by each other. This is another standard set that works great.

-------

Kingdra @ Choice Specs

Swift Swim / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs - 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Surf
Dragon Pulse

I saw this set on Ankoku's RMT and tried it out and it works great so im using it. Hydro Pump with Stab and Specs is really powerful.

-------

Breloom @ Toxic Orb

Poison Heal / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP

Spore
Seed Bomb
Focus Punch
Substitute

Another Standard set. This pokemon always helps me in the end to win. He is very Clutch because later in the game he is faster than the opponents usually.

Pros
1. Good against Stall.
2. Some very fast Pokemon on the team.
3. Each pokemon has a very strong STAB attack.
Cons
1. Not very good type coverage.
2. Fighting Types give me trouble.

Building Process

I saw these 2 pokemon in a PO tourney and I tried them out and they worked very well.

I saw that with 2 Special Attackers I would need a physical pokemon and every team needs a fighting type so I went with Breloom and it helps this team a lot.

I needed a revenge killer and another choice pokemon I went with Kingdra and Flygon.

This team needed another physical attacker so I went with Honchkrow.

I decided that Honchkrow was way to weak so I switched him to Metagross but Metagross has been dead weight so I am looking for another pokemon to switch to.

Hi, decent team you have here, and please don't mind my postcount when reading this, I'm new to smashboards but not competitive pokemon, having been playing it for almost 3 years now.

First thing, never use PO tournaments/ladder as a base of how good your team is. The competition on PO is far worse than on Shoddy. I understand PO has less glitches and is more user friendly but shoddy has the better players overall. I've gotten 1st on the beta server's OU ladder twice without even trying and only managed 15th on Shoddy's suspect ladder. (I prefer PO for battles, but I just battle my friend's on there, so I don't use shoddy much, but it is overall better.)

Next, the team is extremely weak to Flygon, with every pokemon being OHKO'd by it. I suggest switching out Jolteon for LOZapdos.

Zapdos@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 Def / 252 Sp Att / 252 Spe
Moves:
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos doesn't die to anything that hits it with it's nice natural bulk, but you have to watch out for it's SR weakness. The combination of SR and LO put a hurting on Zapdos, which is what Roost is for, making sure you can keep the pressure on the opponent if they try to stall your LO out. Replacing Jolteon with Zapdos also swaps your 3:2 weakness:resist to ground ratio to 2:3, a big thing with Flygon becoming so popular.

A minor switch is changing your Flygon from Adamant to Jolly, to at least tie with opposing Flygon and ScarfRachi.

Another suggestion is changing Empoleon's item from Focus Sash to Lum Berry, and going with the EV spread posted by the user Gates. Lum Berry means you win against Roserade, and iirc Empoleon always lives the EQ from Metagross within Torrent range, but never enough to die to a Bullet Punch, so it's easily taken out.

On Metagross I suggest switching your Life Orb to Leftovers and using Thunderpunch over Explosion. Leftovers let you set up on more things than with Life Orb and also gives you a higher chance to sweep an entire because you'll be living longer. I understand your feeling of going out with a bang in Explosion, but Thunderpunch allows you to kill Gyarados and keep the sweep alive, as well as denting Skarmory before it Whirlwinds you away while still being able to sweep later.

You could give Breloom's EV spread a minor tweak. By running 130 HP/ 252 Att / 128 Spe, your Substitute always survives Standard Gliscor's Earthquake with .1%, barring a crit, this lets you beat him 1 v 1, something the Smogon Standard Breloom spread cannot do.

I hope this rate helped, I would've looked into your team further but it's 4 am for me and I have work in the morning.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
you have too many common weaknesses

you have 3 pokes weak to ground, 2 weak to ice, 2 weak to dragon, and none of your pokes resist fighting, let alone, your team lacks a single fire attack

so a good change could be instead of switching jolteon for zapdos, switching it for rotom

using a bulky set like this:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Overheat
Will-o-Wisp

This gives your team a good switch in to fighting moves and can also cripple them with Will-o-Wisp (as long as it's not infernape). Overheat gives your team a much needed fire move to really hit those steel types. He removes one of your teams ground weaknesses and gives you a resistance to fighting moves while not being weak to Ice moves (like zapdos would be). You can also use the scarf set but you already have flygon for revenge killing so i don't think that's necessary.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You know what I miss? When smogon wasnt ********.

I've never even USED mence lol.

Also this team:

Be warned, Agiligross is NOT as fast as you think it is. Scarf 100's beat it every time. This makes Scarf Flygon even more dangerous to your team, especially because once Metagross and Empoleon are gone(which he can actually do himself) he can just hit Outrage and auto win, especially because you're using Adamant Scarfgon yourself. Also you should consider something else over Jolteon, seriously. I suggest Zapdos, since once you have enemy swamperts out of the way you pretty much just 2HKO everything in sight because you're zapdos. To make things better, Swampert is easily taken care of by that breloom of yours.

Dr. Riddler

macman|Riddle
Metagross can run enough speed to always outspeed base 100s, its just not standard (for some reason).

Baseless smogon bashing is dumb, back it up or shut up. How is it relevant that youve never used mence?

Edit: ****, this is Riddle. I forgot I was on a hydra mafia account.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Running Jolly and 196 Speed EVs on Metagross lets you outpace Scarf base 100s, but you lose some bulk and power for it.

It might still be worth trying though, if Flygon is that big of an issue.

EDIT: **** your ninja, Riddle. Get on your normal account already. And why the hell did it take me this long to post? :\

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
even then, Gross cant OHKO Flygon.

Also "I've never used Mence" was a preemptive response to any idiot who would assume I want mence back because I liked him. **** him, I never used him once lol, he had too many issues with common things like SR, bulky pokemon, scarfers and priority. If im gonna waste a turn setting up, Im gonna use something thats far more difficult to kill lol.

Also it's not baseless smogon bashing. They've legitimately started to ban things just because they remind them of Garchomp. Of the three recently banned Dragons, ONLY garchomp had a reasonable argument for why it should be banned(even then i still dont agree with it, but I was at least somewhat willing to accept it since it happened) The metagame constantly focused itself around Scizor, and somehow latias gets banned for it?

Mence continues to be a major late game threat, but why was it actually banned? What was the criteria for it? What was the actual reasoning? Was it the fact that if you killed the things that could stop its sweep it would then be able to sweep? Was it the fact that, if everything went well you'd still probably end up dead to a random priority move or scarf pokemon leaving you with what is essentially a one for one poke? Mence was good, Im fully aware of that, but at what point did it suddenly start breaking the metagame and need to be banned?

Niiro

Smash Ace
Running Jolly and 196 Speed EVs on Metagross lets you outpace Scarf base 100s, but you lose some bulk and power for it.
What is the point of outrunning Scarfgon if you can't do anything to it, besides Explode? (you could meteormash, but it won't ohko =/)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
even then, Gross cant OHKO Flygon.
I seem to remember us (Riddle and I when we used Jolly AgiliGross on a team) running Ice Punch when we ran the Jolly spread, but I can't recall what move we used it over.

4 moveslot syndrome is ********.

EDIT: If Flygon's switched in at least once before then and SR is up, MM KOs. Luckily, Metagross probably isn't hitting the field until after you've made sure their Rotom either doesn't exist or is KO'd anyway, so Flygon's probably made that extra switch by then.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
Mence continues to be a major late game threat, but why was it actually banned? What was the criteria for it? What was the actual reasoning? Was it the fact that if you killed the things that could stop its sweep it would then be able to sweep? Was it the fact that, if everything went well you'd still probably end up dead to a random priority move or scarf pokemon leaving you with what is essentially a one for one poke? Mence was good, Im fully aware of that, but at what point did it suddenly start breaking the metagame and need to be banned?

DDMence and MixMence had completely different counters, leading to the 50/50 guess of what kind of Mence it was. If you were to guess incorrectly, you would lose your poke. This lead to it being banned to ubers as between the MixMence and DDMence sets Mence had zero reliable counters that worked well in OU.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Metagross comes instantly to mind. Thank god no one uses anything but it's worst set(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LEAD GROSS)

TTar as well, but once again, no one uses anything but a single easily counterable set so no one cares.

Also Heatran, but it's cool, he'll be banned soon anyways.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Heatran doesn't give a ****, since half of them are defensive anywaysLinoone can be good.

Machop can be good.

Roy can be good.
Lol. Heatran doesn't enjoy thunderwave, don't kid yourself.

Linoone is okay lol. Belly drum+Extreme speed spam

Machop is pretty good in little cup

and Dtilt+Fsmash all day erry day

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
Metagross comes instantly to mind. Thank god no one uses anything but it's worst set(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LEAD GROSS)

TTar as well, but once again, no one uses anything but a single easily counterable set so no one cares.

Also Heatran, but it's cool, he'll be banned soon anyways.
Every Metagross set is countered by Defensive Rotom Formes

Every Ttar set is countered by Machamp

Tran is countered by Bliss/Lax/Specially Defensive Ttar

How many times do I have to say that no Ice Shard user can come in on Mence and live an attack, therefore it is not a counter, simply a check.

Also to the OP, I rated your team, but you appeared to ignore it. So don't cry about your thread going out of hand if you won't take the rates.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pretty sure Explosion makes Blissey/Snorlax less of a counter to Heatran. And specially defensive Ttar? That sounds roughly as common as Metal Sound Heatran.

Cresselia can safely switch into any Salamence set, survive two attacks, and OHKO with Ice Beam.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
WishBliss still beats any Tran with Explosion.

I was just using an example with Specially Defensive Ttar, as EP from Timid Tran is a 4HKO iirc.

Cress is ***** by the OU metagame itself, good luck using it on a team solely to counter Mence without it getting stomped on by everything else.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
WishBliss still beats any Tran with Explosion.

I was just using an example with Specially Defensive Ttar, as EP from Timid Tran is a 4HKO iirc.

Cress is ***** by the OU metagame itself, good luck using it on a team solely to counter Mence without it getting stomped on by everything else.
Blissey will never beat Sub/Toxic Tran nor any Sub tran.

Machamp is 2HKO'd by CBTar, it cant switch in nor can it out speed.

Bulky Rotom-A is out sped and 2HKO'd by CBMeta's Zen Headbutt.

Cus, you know, there's more than one set for these pokemon.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
CBTtar's SE vs 252 HP/ 252 Def Adamant Machamp = 32.6% - 38.3%

That same Machamp's DPunch vs CBTtar = 142.8% - 170.1%

THE UNCOUNTERABLE HAS BEEN COUNTERED!

Standard CBGross runs 8 speed, clearly enough to outspeed Rotom, and if you were to run max speed, it wouldn't be enough to outspeed 180 speed Rotom, which is what the better players run on defensive Rotom.

Cus, you know, there's more than one set for these pokemon.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
By that logic, YacheMence > any Ice crap you throw at him. You got a YacheMence counter? Well ****, how about my CBMence? Something that counters both, you say? Well, I'm sure my SpecsMence can take care of that.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
I rated your team, you ignored it.

CBtar's EQ to 252 HP / 252 Def Poliwrath = 39.1% - 46.1%

The same Poliwrath's BB (with a CB, which I have seen before as a check to multiple pokes) to CBTar = 103.9% - 122.8%

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
lmao at 252/252 Machamp.

You're right, there are different sets to different pokemon, but isnt that just further proving that the ban of Mence because he could run Mixmence OR DDmence sort of groundless?

Also lol at Poliwrath. Such a bad pokemon.

Top Bottom