• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My New OU Team

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Cress is ***** by the OU metagame itself, good luck using it on a team solely to counter Mence without it getting stomped on by everything else.
Poliwrath
Okay dude. When I can't talk about things that situationally full-stop a Pokémon because they have trouble with a whole lot of other things, and you can, I have to admit total defeat.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, because Poliwrath is that bad. I mean, it's not like it resists a crapton of stuff, has great STAB attacks, and a decent movepool or anything.

Oh wait, it's UU. That must be why it sucks.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
It sucks because it loses to pretty much everything in OU. Celery, Suicune, Vaporeon, Hippowdon, Skarmory, Machamp, every electric type, Gyarados, Metagross, Jirachi the list goes on and on lol. It sucks because it's stats are terrible. Balanced stats arent good in Pokemon unless you're "Balanced Stats" also happen to be totally broken(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO heatran) Its movepool is also shallow, it doesnt get any good support moves to use with its bulk and it doesnt get any decent physical moves to use in tandem with Bulk Up so it will never get past physical walls.

It doesnt suck because it's UU, it's UU cus it sucks.

Anyways, answer my question. Doesnt the fact that your counter only may or may not work depending on what set your opponent is using for THEIR pokemon mean that they should all be banned? If you ban mence for that reason you have to ban everything else or you're playing favorites.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Yeah, because Poliwrath is that bad. I mean, it's not like it resists a crapton of stuff, has great STAB attacks, and a decent movepool or anything.

Oh wait, it's UU. That must be why it sucks.
If you consider Brick Break and Waterfall awesome I guess =)

IMO, Poliwraith is just a faster, but much weaker, version of Machamp....without no guard or guts =/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And Cresselia only nulling a very common, 100 base power physical hit, as well has having defensive stats only outright beaten by Lugia and Giratina, makes it less usable as an example? Cresselia and Poliwrath both have their uses, but it's not like things below OU are just secretly amazing. Except maybe Uxie. You know, because its eyes are closed. AMAZING.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I feel like a giant douche when I post a giant list of quotes and replies.
It sucks because it loses to pretty much everything in OU. Celery, Suicune, Vaporeon, Hippowdon, Skarmory, Machamp, every electric type, Gyarados, Metagross, Jirachi the list goes on and on lol.
Scizor is countered by anything with a Fire-type move. Let's see, that's Infernape, Heatran, Gengar, Flygon, Jirachi, Azelf, Blissey, Celebi, Dragonite, Electivire (lol), Dusknoir, Rotom-H, Magnezone, Snorlax, Shaymin, and Zapdos.

It sucks because it's stats are terrible. Balanced stats arent good in Pokemon unless you're "Balanced Stats" also happen to be totally broken(WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO heatran)
The same Poliwrath's BB (with a CB, which I have seen before as a check to multiple pokes)
Sure, it could have better stats. But it can work without them.

Its movepool is also shallow, it doesnt get any good support moves to use with its bulk and it doesnt get any decent physical moves to use in tandem with Bulk Up so it will never get past physical walls.
It doesnt suck because it's UU, it's UU cus it sucks.
I'm pretty sure it's UU because no one uses it. It's not like Shaymin was UU (banned from the tier, but my point still stands: it was never used) once.

Anyways, answer my question. Doesnt the fact that your counter only may or may not work depending on what set your opponent is using for THEIR pokemon mean that they should all be banned? If you ban mence for that reason you have to ban everything else or you're playing favorites.
DDMence and MixMence had completely different counters, leading to the 50/50 guess of what kind of Mence it was. If you were to guess incorrectly, you would lose your poke.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Yes and CB Tar and BoahTar have completely different counters, as do Physical Mixape, Special Mixape, SpecsApe, NP Ape etc etc.

Scizor isnt countered by Fire Moves, he just dies to them. Luckily many of those pokemon cant readily switch into him, what with all the U-Turning and such. Wrath can throw out his strongest move and still have any of the pokemon i listed come in and beat it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yes and CB Tar and BoahTar have completely different counters, as do Physical Mixape, Special Mixape, SpecsApe, NP Ape etc etc.
BoahTar is specifically used to counter its usual counters. It's like using CBGyara with Payback to hit Latias. After that first surprise, its usefulness is far less than the standard set.

Virtually all Infernape are stopped by bulky waters. There isn't a Choice Specs analysis on Smogon, which is saying something considering it has 12 listed sets. Even then, Grass Knot 3HKOs Vaporeon.

Scizor isnt countered by Fire Moves, he just dies to them. Luckily many of those pokemon cant readily switch into him, what with all the U-Turning and such. Wrath can throw out his strongest move and still have any of the pokemon i listed come in and beat it.
I didn't even mention the Pokémon that resist Scizor's ****ty type coverage. Skarmory, Rotom-A, Gyarados, Tentacruel, Forretress, etc.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet

Tentacruel =D

Zapdos, Rotom Formes, Gyarados, hell even Moltres counter Scizor.

Funny thing about Ttar though, it's slow as hell, even after a DD, where Mence is jettin' around like mother ****ing Sonic, so it's much easier to revenge kill. Pert completely counters Ttar, and if Ttar lacks Flamethrower or Ice Beam, so does Breloom.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Pert is actually a pretty bad DDtar counter. Unless it invests heavily it cant OHKO with EQ meaning it cant actually switch in on an attack, and even if it doesnt, if it's something like CursePert it will still be 2HKO'd.

Now Hippowdon, there's a reasonably solid TTar counter. As long as it doesnt have CB Aqua Tail......Man **** TTar lol.

Also this needs to be stated: If Cress isnt a good Mence counter because it loses to the metagame(read: Scizor) then Dos(Gyara+Zap) arent good Scizor counters. SR+Uturn takes them both down to 50% or less making them easy kills for other pokes. Moltres im not even going to bother with. I'll give you Rotom i guess. Just dont get stuck in a situation where you're locked into something like Shadow Ball and you're good lol.

Riddle

Smash Lord
It probably kills 252/252 Bold Tentacruel too, I just havent calc'd it.

Infernape @ Passho Berry
Adamant / Blaze
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
~ Tpunch
~ Swords Dance

There, now I dont think you can beat me with tentacruel.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Evidently a 252/252 +Def Tentacruel could survive a non-Life Orb Adamant Swords Dance ThunderPunch (79.7% - 94%). But yes, this would guarantee wins against Wacan Berry Tentacruel and possibly even Wacan Berry Vaporeon (lol) (32.5% - 38.4% + 65.1% - 76.7%, you can survive the Surf).

Riddle

Smash Lord
close combat is stronger against Vappy than super effective TPunch anyway. Lets just assume its on my set.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Make this into a thread if your going to talk this much about it on an RMT.

And Smugleaf I am using Zapdos I am just testing my team right now.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
go choice scarf tentacruel

there, your infernape loses and is outsped
LOL oshi

252 HP/252 Def Tentacruel @ Choice Scarf

We've gone out of the realm of implausible sets and into the downright silly.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
As far as I can see you guys are talking about lead Forretress and using Scarf Tentacruel to outspeed Infernape. And even then. He said he'd like to keep this in more or less relation to his RMT. He kindly asked you guys to talk somewhere else and you guys completely ignored him.

Riddle

Smash Lord
We gave him several rates but he ignored all of them. You could argue that we shouldn't be talking about this here, but it wouldnt be because we're interfering with IceArrows RMT. Maybe we'll stop if he responds to the 6/7 rates we've already given him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Just because IceArrow isn't responding to some ratings doesn't mean we should derail his thread.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just because IceArrow isn't responding to some ratings doesn't mean we should derail his thread.
This.

Stop discussing the metagame in here unless it's applicable to the actual RMT. If you've already given a rating and IceArrow hasn't changed anything, that doesn't mean the thread becomes a free-for-all.

Use the Metagame Discussion Thread, please.

Top Bottom