• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my marth. Kai vs. Steel2nd

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Well here are some marth ditto matches with me and Steel2nd. Feel free to tell me what im doing wrong and what im doing good. Make sure to give me some advice on how i can improve. Thank you for your help. I would love to play anyone here a marth ditto match so feel free to add me.

Kai vs. Steel2nd 1st match
Kai vs. Steel2nd 2nd match
Kai vs. Steel2nd 3rd match

Thank you for watching.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
In the first match it seems as though you were putting yourself in vulnerable positions that were easily punishable, it also seemed as though you werent utilizing Marth's aerial game enough, and that you were using his Shield Breaker a little to much. In the second match I feel as though you werent utilizing Marth's air game enough. In the third match it seems as though there were multiple moments when you could have punished Steel2nd but didn't capitalize as you should have, like at 0:18 for example.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think overall you did a pretty good job. I can't see anything completely horrible that you messed up on or anything.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
dont get too greedy with marth, remember his range with recovery, if you dont see the free damage or KO, i would suggest not going for it (off the edge). it seems you side-stepped a little much, but thats just because you were fighting another marth. i would suggest trying to use mroe air game, like non-risk fairs (using it and backing off at same time). you do seem pretty good with the counter though.

i think you should use those predicting skills you use with the counter to try and find an opening for nairs and fairs.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
I think your marth had a Very nice mix up game, I saw you use alot of his move-set rather than stick to fair.

Something that I think that people underestimate is N-air, sh those :)

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
I think your marth had a Very nice mix up game, I saw you use alot of his move-set rather than stick to fair.

Something that I think that people underestimate is N-air, sh those :)
yeah, i do prefer the n-air approach over the fair sometimes. the fair and side b are his only real spammable moves i guess, but all of his moves are really good in their situations

SagePrime

Smash Cadet
Solid for the most part. But there are a couple things you could work on. Number one is the overall speed. Speed up the match, i saw you guys walking a lot in the beginning. I think you definetly need to utilize Marths aerial a lot more. Marths best attribute in my opinion is his short hop skills. And the last thing is something we all need to work on, spacing.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Solid for the most part. But there are a couple things you could work on. Number one is the overall speed. Speed up the match, i saw you guys walking a lot in the beginning. I think you definetly need to utilize Marths aerial a lot more. Marths best attribute in my opinion is his short hop skills. And the last thing is something we all need to work on, spacing.
Jumping around all the time isn't exactly the smartest thing to do in a marth ditto.

And what is wrong with walking?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Jumping around all the time isn't exactly the smartest thing to do in a marth ditto.

Walking is sexy. There is nothing wrong with it.

Marth dittos (or almost all dittos in general) are very unorthodox in this game and generally makes the character in question take on a completely different playstyle.

For example, most who do not main Marth would think of him as a very aggro character. Naturally in dittos, Marth is generally more about set-ups, outplaying your opponent and whatnot. Spacing does not become a primary issue simply because your range is completely identical, and if you are in tipper range, chances are, your opponent is as well.

It's an odd sensation playing Marth dittos.

Oh wait; that's just my burning hatred for that match-up, lawl.

Sorry that I hi-jacked the thread. I might watch a battle or two, but I can't stand the influx of Marth dittos as of late. And Steel getting all the famez.

<space to edit on later>

SagePrime

Smash Cadet

I agree with you. But I still think that a little more short hopping would help. But thats just my opinion.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I agree with you. But I still think that a little more short hopping would help. But thats just my opinion.
How would it help? Marth's fsmash outranges any of his aerials and for the most part puts marths aerial game to a halt in dittos.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
Contrary to what most people said, I'm glad that he didn't use very much of Marth's aerial game. I remember not to use aerial approaches that much in Marth's ditto because of Emblem Lord. In the Steel2nd vs Emblem Lord videos, someone asked EL why he wasn't using much aerial game, and EL responded, "Because I don't like eating fsmash for breakfast." I'm not sure why, but I always remember that during Marth dittos.

I think your Marth's biggest problem is that you use fsmash too much. I saw you fsmashing out of a shield when Steel was right next to you. A simple Dancing Blade would have been sufficient. By using fsmash so much, you lost the great killing potential it would have had otherwise.

Another problem was your use of counter. You did use it effectively on the stage to take away some pressure, but used it too much coming back onto the stage. Using counter to get up is very good, but overusing it makes you predictable. Near the second and third matches, it seemed as if Steel2nd noticed this, but failed to punish properly. Sometimes he wouldn't wait long enough to punish, or would just completely forget. Another opponent would surely have noticed that you used counter every single time you got up, giving an easy tippered fsmash.

One final thing: Dolphin Slash. You may have used it once in the second video, I'm not entirely sure, but I didn't see a single Dolphin Slash besides using it to get back onto the stage. Instead of sidestepping or spot dodging out of an attack such as Dancing Blade, you could have simply used Dolphin Slash. At times, Steel2nd would have high damage (120%, 140%), and you'd roll out of an attack that you shielded. Dolphin Slashing out of the shield would easily killed Steel2nd. In my opinion, Dolphin Slash out of a shield is one of Marth's best defensive options, so you should definately look into utilizing it more.

All in all, very good Marth. You had great spacing, but still need to fix some key problem spots.

Oh, one last thing...

First video, 2:40. What happened there? Steel recovered, but then fell down...then you stage spiked him xD

Confused as to what that it though. That's happened to me a number of times on Battlefield. I actually lost a match the first time it happened because I didn't know you could still use your up b afterwards :ohwell:

EDIT: Wow...just realized how long this post is. Yay for walls of text! :chuckle:

Top Bottom