• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Falco updated 11-24-08

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone in the falco board can you guys give me advice on how to improve my falco. I've been feeling my falco hasnt been doing good like my other characters. I'll be posting up videos about my falco. Ill appreciate if you guys give me constructive criticism and anything that im doing well in. Thanks in advance to those who helps me.

Katsu(Falco) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight)
11-2-08
Katsu(Falco) vs. Neji(Link)
Katsu(Falco) vs. Tina(Diddy Kong) 1
Katsu(Falco) vs. Tina(Diddy Kong) 2
Katsu(Falco) vs. Tina(Diddy Kong) 3
11-13-08
Katsu(Falco) vs. AWSUM(Falco) 1
Katsu(Falco) vs. AWSUM(Falco) 2
Katsu(Falco) vs. WAM(King Dedede)
Katsu(Falco) vs. Zez(Meta Knight)
Katsu(Falco) vs. AWSUM(Pit)
11-16-08
Katsu(Falco) vs. JASON(Snake)
Katsu(Falco) vs. A6M(Fox)
Katsu(Falco) vs. Cpt.B(Falco) 1
Katsu(Falco) vs. Cpt.B(Falco) 2
Katsu(Falco) vs. Cpt.B(Falco) 3
11-24-08
Katsu(Falco) vs. Tina(Fox)
Katsu(Falco) vs. Tina(Fox) 2
Katsu(Falco) vs. Kouma (Meta Knight)

vKo

Smash Cadet
Lots of empty SHL attempts.
Nice use of the > and ^ tilts.
Lots of lost attack potential due to unnecessary spacing.
You've got the right idea with Phantasm'ing for surprise rack up damage.
You kinda' left yourself in his reach for attacking, not good considering his vSmash ***** 100 days out of a week.
And there's only 7. :/

It also seems the Metaknight let you you win at the end with the continuous Shuttle Loops. :p

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
Before I watch I just gotta say I love your friends name.

Edit: You exploited many of Meta knights weaknesses pretty well but that MK wasn't all that great either.

Do you have any vids of you not 3-stocking the opponent?

Captainbrawl

Smash Apprentice
The only Falco i actually enjoyed doing Falco dittos with, Though it seems we are both a little rusty.

I'd say.
1. Work on the timing of your SHL & SHDL...So many empty short hops & so many missed lasers.

2. More lasers against MK. Since he has no projectile thats something Falco should take advantage of.

3. You smashed quite alot. Most of them were F-smash.
It being slow & laggy doesn't go well against MK if it misses.

4. The D-throw into a Boost smash at higher percentages was pretty cool but i'd say just mix it up. It got punished the 1st two times.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
MOAR LASERS! There are lots of times you and your opponent are standing at long/medium range and you're not firing any. It's free damage/makes them work harder to approach. In general, you just need to play campy-er. Falco's got one of the best long range games in Brawl, make THEM come to YOU so that you can **** them with his beastly up close moves. For example, you got eaten up the first stock of the Diddy match because you were trying to close in and he kept knocking you away. You can outcamp Diddy, so force him to go on the offensive.

You've got a chain-grab, why don't you use it? In the MK match you had SEVERAL easy grabs you could have gotten at low%, but you did jab combos instead. When you DID get a grab, you did one grab and followed with a dash attack. You can chain those babies up to 45% on most people, and follow up with a Dair, which you can sometimes fast fall into another grab and dair. It's one of Falco's most useful tools, you should use it.

I don't remember seeing you do any Gatling combos, even when you landed dash attacks. If you don't know how to do it, check the sticky and learn it, it's a great damage builder when you land it.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the critique. Yeah I know how to do a gatling combo and me being more campy Ill try to do that. It'll be hard for me because I'm not usually a campy person.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Well, you shouldn't have to be campy for long. Falco should just camp to force an approach, then punish whatever method they're using to get in close. Think of the lasers less as "camp" and more of as a way to control parts of the stage and continue combos.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Your up-close Falco is definitely your strong point. I like that you use his tilts for spacing, since a lot of Falco's seem to forget he has tilts. If you'd get the Chain Grab down better, you'd have a strong close game.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Good games, nice Falco. I'd suggest to use a little less F-Smashes, even though you didn't use that many. F-Smash is really laggy and isn't that great of a move. That's all that really caught my eye, but that could just be that it's like 10:40 PM here and my eyes are baggy from reading posts and watching TV :laugh:

Daea

Smash Cadet
Hey - good-looking falco overall. Just some pointers from watching the most recent fox videos: Don't dacus so much. I realize that it worked a fair bit for you, but most opponents at higher levels will not be taken by surprise as much as the fox, and will shield the upsmash, leaving you open to fairly easy punishment. Granted, throwing a dacus in after a shdl at high percents is a pretty good kill-option, you shouldn't be using it very much, if at all, at lower percents, especially because you want to keep your upsmash fresh (considering it's falco's most reliable kill move). Along the same lines - try and limit your use of the gatling. If you whiff the da, you get a lot of lag, so tho it's flashy, it's not that great of an option except out of cg. Speaking of cg - I haven't had that much experience in the fox matchup, but I do believe you can get a couple more cgs in after 2, and end it with a dair. I do know for a fact that on mk, you can get 4 grabs and a dair guaranteed. Although, since you opt to go for 2-3 grabs and then gatling, the damage output may be similar, but that's just something to try out.

You utilized the iap a couple times, but throw a few more of those out there once in a while. It's good for chip damage and is quite annoying when compared with laser spam - just don't overdo it because your opponent might start to predict it and utilize a high priority move to hit you out of the phantasm. Also, mix up your recoveries with the phantasm - you lost a stock because you kept phantasm'ing right onto the stage where the fox was waiting, so try mixing that up with shortened ones or simply ones right into the ledge itself.

Try not to aerial straight into a standing opponent on the ground. You had some success with this, especially dair, but honestly that fox should have shield grabbed you each time you did that. When you aerial a grounded opponent, di towards them during the initial sh rising animation, but di away afterwards to avoid punishment. For moves like dair or nair, this will keep you from getting shield grabbed, and still damage or chip away at your opponents shield.

As always, avoid rolling and spot dodging needlessly - sd'ing several times in a row will not benefit you, and may even trap you within lag when you actually need to use the spot dodge. Against the fox, you didn't roll that much, but sometimes you still got punished.

Finish out your jab combo more often. It does decent chip damage, and if you don't finish out the combo, things like jab > grab won't work, because your opponent isn't conditioned to expect the AAA. Once you condition them to expect the AAA after the jab, they get hit by a jab and instinctively shield. This is what allows you to get the grab in. Simply going for jab > grab w/o making them afraid of the AAA first is generally not a successful tactic.

Specifically on the mk match - don't stick around when mk gets close to you. Walk away, run away, iap away, sh away, even sometimes roll away if you absolutely have to - but don't do what you did and sit there alternating spot dodge and downsmash/dtilt. mk's downsmash and dtilt outrange and completely outspeed yours, so there's no reason to sit there playing russian roulette, trying to get lucky and hit him before he hits you. Respace yourself by moving away or using ftilt/AAA, and then start over. Also, perhaps most importantly for this matchup, why are you trying to approach mk? He has no projectile, whereas you have a gun and your phantasm. Sit there and camp, retreat shdl and camp, camp and then phantasm away - do anything but approach him. Just don't get predictable with your phantasms because he will screw you over with the tornado. Like I mentioned before - way too much rolling in the mk match, and way too much dacus as well. Your mk opponent was not that great, but he still managed to punish you for some stuff.

You've got the tech skills down it looks like - just play smarter and work on some of the tactical aspects of falco.

Hope this helps :]

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey - good-looking falco overall. Just some pointers from watching the most recent fox videos: Don't dacus so much. I realize that it worked a fair bit for you, but most opponents at higher levels will not be taken by surprise as much as the fox, and will shield the upsmash, leaving you open to fairly easy punishment. Granted, throwing a dacus in after a shdl at high percents is a pretty good kill-option, you shouldn't be using it very much, if at all, at lower percents, especially because you want to keep your upsmash fresh (considering it's falco's most reliable kill move). Along the same lines - try and limit your use of the gatling. If you whiff the da, you get a lot of lag, so tho it's flashy, it's not that great of an option except out of cg. Speaking of cg - I haven't had that much experience in the fox matchup, but I do believe you can get a couple more cgs in after 2, and end it with a dair. I do know for a fact that on mk, you can get 4 grabs and a dair guaranteed. Although, since you opt to go for 2-3 grabs and then gatling, the damage output may be similar, but that's just something to try out.

You utilized the iap a couple times, but throw a few more of those out there once in a while. It's good for chip damage and is quite annoying when compared with laser spam - just don't overdo it because your opponent might start to predict it and utilize a high priority move to hit you out of the phantasm. Also, mix up your recoveries with the phantasm - you lost a stock because you kept phantasm'ing right onto the stage where the fox was waiting, so try mixing that up with shortened ones or simply ones right into the ledge itself.

Try not to aerial straight into a standing opponent on the ground. You had some success with this, especially dair, but honestly that fox should have shield grabbed you each time you did that. When you aerial a grounded opponent, di towards them during the initial sh rising animation, but di away afterwards to avoid punishment. For moves like dair or nair, this will keep you from getting shield grabbed, and still damage or chip away at your opponents shield.

As always, avoid rolling and spot dodging needlessly - sd'ing several times in a row will not benefit you, and may even trap you within lag when you actually need to use the spot dodge. Against the fox, you didn't roll that much, but sometimes you still got punished.

Finish out your jab combo more often. It does decent chip damage, and if you don't finish out the combo, things like jab > grab won't work, because your opponent isn't conditioned to expect the AAA. Once you condition them to expect the AAA after the jab, they get hit by a jab and instinctively shield. This is what allows you to get the grab in. Simply going for jab > grab w/o making them afraid of the AAA first is generally not a successful tactic.

Specifically on the mk match - don't stick around when mk gets close to you. Walk away, run away, iap away, sh away, even sometimes roll away if you absolutely have to - but don't do what you did and sit there alternating spot dodge and downsmash/dtilt. mk's downsmash and dtilt outrange and completely outspeed yours, so there's no reason to sit there playing russian roulette, trying to get lucky and hit him before he hits you. Respace yourself by moving away or using ftilt/AAA, and then start over. Also, perhaps most importantly for this matchup, why are you trying to approach mk? He has no projectile, whereas you have a gun and your phantasm. Sit there and camp, retreat shdl and camp, camp and then phantasm away - do anything but approach him. Just don't get predictable with your phantasms because he will screw you over with the tornado. Like I mentioned before - way too much rolling in the mk match, and way too much dacus as well. Your mk opponent was not that great, but he still managed to punish you for some stuff.

You've got the tech skills down it looks like - just play smarter and work on some of the tactical aspects of falco.

Hope this helps :]
Thanks this should really help me out. Ill try to finish the AAA combo more and stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Good games, nice Falco. I'd suggest to use a little less F-Smashes, even though you didn't use that many. F-Smash is really laggy and isn't that great of a move. That's all that really caught my eye, but that could just be that it's like 10:40 PM here and my eyes are baggy from reading posts and watching TV :laugh:
Ok ill try to do less fsmash and more ftilts and stuff. Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom