• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate mah Boozer

B!squick

Smash Master
Dude, that was so kick *** to watch and congrats on landing Bowser's Shield Breaker Combo, that's the first time I've seen it put to use. :)

Okay, now for the critique... uh, I didn't really see anything that you did wrong or that I would have done differently. I guess try to recover higher next time and that's about it, lol.

B!squick

Smash Master
You seemed to let yourself drift downward for the most part when recoverying. It's better to DI to the upper corners of the blast with any character, really. Though that could just be my mind playing tricks on me, lol.

Also, I totally nominate your shield breakage for the community video. :O

Flayl

Smash Hero
Stop jumping into the **** (that would happen if the marth took better advantage). You played nice but went jumping head on too often. Better marths will destroy you if you do this. That being said you pulled some nice baits with the klaw and yest hat sheild breaker combo was sweet.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
i liked the shield breaker combo.i never knew about that.does it work against all characters,most,or just marth.also liked the triple fair wall.i do the same thing with my wolf with his bair.

that marth seemed a litl crappy.most marths against bowser will dolphin slash out of shield on bowser.completely ***** him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I think you just need both hits of the bowser bomb. Or maybe the marth held her shield for too long.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Stop jumping into the **** (that would happen if the marth took better advantage). You played nice but went jumping head on too often. Better marths will destroy you if you do this.
Of course your approaches would change depending on how someone reacts. I don't really see myself ever jumping into any ****. My approaches are spaced well IMO, and whenever i do get punished for one, i get out of there quickly, made easier by the spacing.

Also i believe if i did not approach as often as i did, then it would be marth who is pressuring my shield and me who is getting hit left and right. Just a few thoughts of mine. Thanks for the advice though =)

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I think you just need both hits of the bowser bomb. Or maybe the marth held her shield for too long.
I was the one who tested this myself it takes a jab and both hitsof the bowser bomb to break most shields, if marth has a pitiful shield (I wouldn't know) then it is possible that just the bowser bomb will break it but chances are they were holding it before the initial hit connected so his shield was not at full size.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
More upb oos. You used it more often as the match went on but for the first minute and a half or so you didn't use it at all :( Also make sure you use the opportunity to get as far away from your opponent as you can. I noticed when you did hit Marth with a fortress you just kinda went back in forth in one spot, allowing Marth to punish you.

On that note, less other things oos. You tried things like dsmash and grabbing behind you oos and they just plain didn't work. Using a fortress would be both more effective and much safer.

Less fair. Especially fairs that aren't autocancelled. Fair's landing lag is very punishable if shielded, so please only use it if you are autocancelling it from a short hop. Even then, I think you were using it way too much. I rarely use it against Marths, and if I do it's only a retreating sh fair. If you were playing a more defensive Marth, your fairs would have been shielded and punished by either an upb, a sideb or a grab. Every time.

My above point goes directly into what Flayl was saying. You were playing way too aggro. I think you just need to chill out and be smarter with your approaches.

When edgeguarding Marth, you are much better off timing an edgehog than trying to use firebreath. Even if Marth can easily survive by landing on the stage with his upb, by edgehogging you can FORCE him on the stage to punish the his landing lag. Also, going off the stage when Marth is on the ledge is a bad idea. I saw you try it with a klaw, but this is also true for bair stagespike attempts. When trying these, not only does it give Marth an easy time coming on the stage from the ledge, but it now reverses the situation completely, giving Marth the opportunity to edgeguard you. Personally, I don't try to bair stagespike/klaw my opponent from the edge against any character, because I think it's just too risky.

I might have a couple other things to suggest, but I have a haircut appointment I need to get ready for :x When I have time later on tonight I'll try to remember to watch the video again and find some more things.

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, with Gen's new thread we should be able to turn Bowser's ledge game into something truly magical.

Though with someone like Marth, yeah, I'd probably stick to the stage, though his UpB does a good job at clearing the ledge anyway. x_x

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
I never did anything risky with jumping off stage until i had stock advantage. I played it safe while we were on the same stock. With a rise in risk theres also a rise in reward, at least in terms of certain edge guarding tactics.

I didn't really see any of my up b's oos get punished, but maybe i missed them. Please point out where it was the marth punished so i know what not to do.

Same goes for the non-autocancelled fairs. I mean it doesnt have that much lag on it, and if its well spaced i dont see any problems. If your opponent begins to punish them, then stop, but if it catches them by surprise then dont. I mean its expected that you dont throw out aerials like bowser's fair that can be lagless unless if they are going to be lagless, right?

Also phiddlesticks, you said i was too aggro. I felt like i was playing fairly safe the entire time. Sure marth has nothing to force bowser to approach, but that doesnt mean that camping him is the best option i feel.

B!squick

Smash Master
The point is that FAir has enough lag that HAD Marth been shielding them you WOULD have been punished for it, and frankly, I don't see the point of doing FAirs close to the ground when Klaw is a much better option, lol.

Nothing bad came of you doing it, so no problems where the match is concerned, just try not to get into bad habits. :)

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Thats true, the klaw close to the ground is a much better option. fj fair klaw, i like it. =) Its a bit easier to dodge klaw i feel so i'll just need to look into whats good to follow it up with. Maybe fj fair, klaw shield break, lol.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I never did anything risky with jumping off stage until i had stock advantage. I played it safe while we were on the same stock. With a rise in risk theres also a rise in reward, at least in terms of certain edge guarding tactics.
Fair enough. I still don't think the risk is worth it, but aight.
I didn't really see any of my up b's oos get punished, but maybe i missed them. Please point out where it was the marth punished so i know what not to do.
The one you did at around 2:40 definitely should have been punished, but Marth somehow attacked in the wrong direction...? Even if you didn't get punished in that match, you should always get as far away as possible from your opponent to remove the chance of getting punished from the equation altogether.
Same goes for the non-autocancelled fairs. I mean it doesnt have that much lag on it, and if its well spaced i dont see any problems. If your opponent begins to punish them, then stop, but if it catches them by surprise then dont. I mean its expected that you dont throw out aerials like bowser's fair that can be lagless unless if they are going to be lagless, right?
Bowser's fair doesn't have much landing lag... when comparing it to Bowser's bair and dair. If your opponent shields your fair (or if you just plain miss with it; those things do happen), (s)he has plenty of time to punish you with... a lot of things. If you instead use a klaw, however, your opponent a) can't punish you very well when you only have 3 frames of landing lag, and b) can't even shield in the first place. Obviously it isn't always better to use a klaw (quick example, your fair at 0:08; that was probably the only thing that would have hit Marth in time), but for the most part, I think using less non-autocancelled fairs and more klaws is much better.
Also phiddlesticks, you said i was too aggro. I felt like i was playing fairly safe the entire time. Sure marth has nothing to force bowser to approach, but that doesnt mean that camping him is the best option i feel.
On stage Bowser Bombs, seemingly random fsmashes, and non-ACed fairs don't seem very "safe" to me. When I was saying you needed to chill out and be smarter with your approaches, I didn't mean you should not approach at all and camp until Marth comes to you. I just meant that you should be more careful with your approaches, and try to find an opening in Marth's spacing before you blindly rush in.

Also, watched the video again. What was with the DI at around 1:40? I don't want to say "Learn to DI!!!!!!!" because it just happened once, but why were you DIing so low? It's not like Marth was using a move that you weren't expecting (like Dolphin Slash), so you had plenty of time to DI it correctly. I just want to know if that was a fluke occurrence or not. If it was, ok. If it wasn't, learn to DI!!!!!!! :p

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
At 1:40 i tried to SDI back out of the side b. I pull it off with smaller characters so it was just a bad habit for bowser. Once i had been hit with the last hit i started to DI down since i was sent off quite horizontally.

When do you believe that Bowser bomb's and fsmashes should be used then? Im guessing you feel like non-ac fairs should just not be used.

not getting punished after my up b oos at 2:40 = mingamez

B!squick

Smash Master
Punishing, plain and simple. If he's gonna leave himself open long enough for a FSmash/BBomb, capitalise. If he hanging on the ledge a little too long, capitalise. Insert mind games here, capitalise.

It's really one of those, "you'll just know" kinda things. If you over use either one, even if your opponent doesn't punish your wiffs, you really hurt your chances of landing FSmash especially because your giving away the timing of the move. I find I usually have the best chance of landing it in the first game. After that they've seen it and know to be weary of it.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
That's assuming your opponent isn't familiar with the match up though. If they are familiar with it then they know the timing for the fsmash and you're just left with reading your opponent for openings. Or punishing really really laggy stuff i guess.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
The Marth didn't seem very good. Maybe he doesn't know Bowser too well? But whatever, this isn't about Marth, this is about you.
Your Bowser was good, nice use of Klaw and Fair. I'd say you need to take advantage of the Fortress more, but from my experience it doesn't seem to bode well vs Marth because of his spaced aerials. IDK. Your Bowser was good though, i play a little more defensive and like to Klaw/Fortress/grab out of my jab, you should play around with those, really useful. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Lol @ my finally deciding to post after being around for over 2 years

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't know where exactly to put this but people who want to be critiqued should post videos of them losing, not winning. It gets harder to critique when you're plain better than your opponent.

This isn't just aimed at you choice, this is a common occurence.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Thats a good point though flayl. I'll try to get some vids recorded of me not doing so well, but that was the only one i had recorded last time i was with my friend that has the recording equipment.

Top Bottom