• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate/insult my doc, and the falco too!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Eighteenspikes (doc) vs JamesSparrow (Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlsjXYp20U

I lose the match. Just ignore the last 5 seconds.
I used to smash with JamesSparrow a lot, and we're really close in skill level. We've been improving with each other over the past couple months, and we never get too far from each other. Seems like no matter how much better I think I get, we trade wins whenever we play. Unfortunately he moved, so I can't play with him as often.
Anyways, this video was from about 3-4 weeks ago, so we play differently now. I would have uploaded more videos from this day but apparently this was the day I learned to chaingrab, because I friggin spam the hell out of throws in the other ones we recorded. I got some really good matches with him last night, but it was at Marth101's house so he'll have to upload them if he can.

But, please watch and let me know on what you think :) some stuff I already got tips on and have changed by now is, to not charge smashes pointlessly, and to edgetech falco's dairs.

Sudai

Stuff here
There were a few BAirs where you landed right in front of the Falco. I'd suggest trying to land those a bit behind him.

When he was pillaring you, you could try throwing out a sex kick. I'm not sure how well it would work unless you managed to catch him on his way up.

I saw you trying to powershield a majority of the lasers, try caping?

Velocity

Smash Lord
this is all my opinion but i saw to many upsmashes period/at high percents when another smash would of ko'ed too many shffl f-airs and i didnt like the up throw at 60 to f-air i think wd to d.smash would have worked and connected nice edge guarding the falco could of done better getting back to the stage still both players are skilled good mindgames

Sytar

Smash Ace
Sometimes you try and cape his approach when he isn't trying to approach with lasers. When he tried approaching with a double jump, you kept attempting to cape him while he was 942934 ft. above you. Couldn't figure that out. That's what cost you the win, too. I like your Doc. It's good. I'm not sure if you can do this, but I believe it is possible to d-throw into dair and back into d-throw. Tell me if it helps you at all. My friend has done it to me a few times, so I don't know if it was all bad DI.

Pine

Smash Ace
i think when ur recovering u doc tornado pointlessly....it might be just me but when ur that close to the edge it just gives ur opponent time to set up to kill u....

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
u have great shuffles, chainthrowing, and feints as mindgame tools.

You seemed to goof at trying to get a finish move from chainthrowing, but i can tell u know what to do, but just happened to attacked too early/late from the throw and missed, like that shuffled f.air from the DI'ed Upthrow. Granted that is a little more difficult than WD F.Smash(which is what i usually do)

in the beginning of the match, u kinna got owned. Looked like you had trouble finding an approach. You did make good use from defending though. and shieldgrabbing was well timed after the shine (unless that was luck, lol)
Either way, u edgeguarded him nicely, though i would have expected him to FowardB instead, not so close to the level, since he did get too close to you before trying to recover.

I think you might do even better, if you play more defensive w/ pills and cape though, and continue to force him to approach w/ his pillaring. when he jumps for it, its pretty easily anticipated and intercepted w/ a upair apon meeting him in the air.

all in all, you have a very good doc.

oh yea...and when you UpB'ed and got spiked, if you would have waited .5 seconds longer, and UpBed into the side, so you would have grabbed the edge from underneath instead..you would have been able to edge-tech the spike to survive it, by simply holding "L" as you UpBed. =)

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
I really liked your doc. Your play style is very similar to mine. plus my partner in smash who i always play with plays a falco too. anyways, like some other guys said, it seems u over use the shffled fair. it might be safer to try a shffled uair at lower percentages, since this could lead to more shffled uairs. at higher percentages use an nair for the kill, not as flashy or devastating but its safer and more dependable.

Also when u have a hold of falco, if hes at 60 percent to 100 percent, u can usually dthrow to an WD fsmash quite easily. when hes higher than 100 percent, u can uthrow to a fair pretty easily just by following his DI. this is all from experince ive had.

oh yea dont forget u have your pills. full hopped pills not only get a pill out, but protect u from SHLs.

would like to see more vids, reminds me too much of my own style.

Marth101

Smash Journeyman
spikes on marth101's comp

You seemed to goof at trying to get a finish move from chainthrowing, but i can tell u know what to do, but just happened to attacked too early/late from the throw and missed
Yep, like I said though that's the first day I tried chainthrows :psycho: I don't ever do dthrow chaingrabs anymore cause I find the DI insanely hard to follow, but I went for (and somehow got) 4 in a row in this match. Now I uthrow only and wait until much later to go for a fair :)

I think you might do even better, if you play more defensive w/ pills and cape though, and continue to force him to approach w/ his pillaring. when he jumps for it, its pretty easily anticipated and intercepted w/ a upair apon meeting him in the air.

This is another thing I picked up on my own: :) I always used to hide in my shield when the falco started a pillar but now I jump out of shield and upair.
As for all the cape advice, yeah I had weird capes :( I rely much more on powershielding. Maybe it's cause I play Marth too, but I dunno. It sounds weird but you'd be surprised how consistently I can do it :) that's something you'll probably see in later videos, when I get around to posting them.
What's a good way to pillspam against a Falco? I usually just do generic fh waveland pills at longer distance, but I don't have any specific reason behind when I pill.

oh yea...and when you UpB'ed and got spiked, if you would have waited .5 seconds longer, and UpBed into the side, so you would have grabbed the edge from underneath instead..you would have been able to edge-tech the spike to survive it, by simply holding "L" as you UpBed. =)

I learned how to ledgetech :chuckle: I love doing it against falcos

I'll take the advice on spamming fairs. I probably do use them too much... :(

As long as I'm on marth101's comp, I'll look for some good vids that I can hopefully post.

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
lol that was a good match... too bad i cant really say anything that hasnt been said already. i know you said to ignore the last few seconds... but i cant. lol was he trying to edge stall but he didnt press up before he pressed B?

yithkai

Smash Apprentice
falco: L cancel the dairs better, you shuld not be getting shield grabbed

doc: its usually bad to shield grab fox/falco dairs. it can be a habit to sheild grab everything but you cant against fox/falco unless you know that they arent good enough to shine before yuo grab. it worked on that falco because he needs to get his pillars down better. if pc or dave or someone else thats real good gets a shine on you, youre dead, and yo uwill get shined a lot cause they do like waveshines next to your shield and laser stuns. and against doc its pretty easy to do the combos against, shine shine bairs hurt.

basically, when a pillar is coming, dont do anyhting offsnsive. and keep the chain grabs going

Khaine

Smash Journeyman
riiiiiight.

im liking your doc.

but.

im not seeing enough pills for my liking, they really work wonders sometimes, but thats been covered.

and yeah, the sex kick should get you out of the pillar...eventually.

and also, there seemed to be some just random smashs floating around.... which werent doing much.

take those out, and add in some approaching covered by pills. im fond of a full jumped pill (maybe with a standing or SH pill beforehand) to Dsmash.

and im liking the chain grabbing.and again, as already mentioned, work needs to go into the finshers of those chain grabs.

if timed right, Dthrow Fair works well.

and Fsmash.

and, on to the edgegaurding. it was fine. but, i am partial to shoving a Bair in the way of a phantasm =).

MaRiO_1

Smash Rookie
I like the vid. There's nothing that people haven't said that i would say. they are right, u should calm down with the fairs. they are good for mindgames but if u overspam them, then your opponent will get used to it and will anticipate it.

I am an avid Doc player and im telling u to keep it up.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Well, your vid certainly taught me a lot about what works against falco. Thank ya. I don't think you should cape that much though. Everyone else had pretty much said everything.

Hoods

Smash Cadet
I think that even though u lost falco had the worst performance. If he would've connected more on his aerials it might not have been as close.

Top Bottom