• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rareware Character Possibility?

Would you like to see Rareware characters in Smash Bros.?

• Yes

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
While I don't have any personal attachment to them, I'd definitely be up for Rare reps. They've got some franchises that supposedly defined the SNES-N64 days. They are gaming legends. Smash Bros. is all about gaming legends. It's a perfect match!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It would be great if Nintendo bought Rare back. But even though if they did get them back, it is not the same Rare I used to remember since key employees had already left.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Never gonna happen, but I imagine of Rare was still with Nintendo we'd have Banjo & Kazooie, Gruntilda, Conker and Joanna Dark by now. It makes me endlessly sad that things went in a different direction.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Rare is garbage nowadays. It wouldn't be worth it buying them back, even if we did get Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros.

And don't get me wrong. I love the Banjo games. But it ain't gonna happen.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Aye, the current Rare isn't worth the dirt it lies on, no matter who owns it.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
It's such a shame that Kinect Sports Rivals is a Xbox One exclusive game...

Ok, trying to be a bit serious now. I don't think that Nintendo buying Rare would be a good move anyway, it's simply not the same company anymore. It would be nice to see Banjo, but it's just not gonna happen.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was even more layoffs among Rare staff recently in wake of that one Kinect game. >__> It's just sad.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
It's so sad to think that if Nintendo had bought Rare instead of Microsoft, Banjo-Kazooie would've been a Smash Vet since Melee (they were considered for SSB64 and were planned to be in Melee until the buy out). I also could have seen Kameo possibly making it into Brawl. Ntm both series would likely both be thriving as Nintendo franchises stilling going today, with Kameo first appearing on GameCube like she was supposed to, I mean she was on the GameCube's box. I could have even seen a Viva Pinata Assist Trophy. Perfect Dark could've been Nintendo's answer to Halo/Gears & Killzone/Resistance (and with a female lead to boot), could've seen Joanna in Smash eventually as well.

Rare as a studio is dead, Nintendo just needs to buy a few of their IPs, namely Banjo-Kazooie, Kameo, Viva Pinata (didn't start or plan to start on a Nintendo system, but it'd work so well on Wii U) and Perfect Dark. Killer Instinct has been revived on Xbox (by a non-Rare studio) and Conker is going to be featured in Project Spark for Microsoft systems, so no Conker or KI.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
To be perfectly honest, after the Pac Man reveal the gaming world would reach a MASSIVE level of ecstasy If a Rare character got in. Especially if it was Banjo. Smash Bros would be on a level that no game has reached before...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's so sad to think that if Nintendo had bought Rare instead of Microsoft, Banjo-Kazooie would've been a Smash Vet since Melee (they were considered for SSB64 and were planned to be in Melee until the buy out).
Actually, I doubt that.
Rare were reportedly Microsoft's second choice after Sega, who were only abandoned because they demanded Xbox Live compatible rereleases of their games. Sonic failed to be included in Melee due to time constraints so it's safe to assume Banjo would have been in a similar position, only entering in Brawl.

Some of my favourite gamecube games (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, F-Zero GX and Billy Hatcher) were made by Sega so even if things had gone the other way, I still feel we'd've lost a lot to Microsoft.

Last edited:
If Smash Bros. was a 3DS exclusive title, maybe it would have been possible.

Rare can still develop for Nintendo's handhelds if they want considering Microsoft doesn't have their own. You can even look at their development history after the buyout for proof of this.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think they stopped doing that after releasing Viva Pinata for the DS in 2008 or so (if they even released that; I can't recall). After that and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, their entire line-up of releases consists of Kinect games, so that would probably be around the time that Microsoft "restructured" Rare to focus solely on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom